Talk is nice, action is better

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for the rest of the roster, OT help will come from the draft which is nice because it is cheap. QB is a mystery, but as of right now, I believe the Cards will keep Palmer heading into next year. That does not prevent them from drafting a QB, but it pushes the need down. TE is a position where we can upgrade through the draft, but the question is if we really need to.

It will be interesting.

Chopper, how can they not keep Palmer? Really, is using a rookie QB to start any kind of win now move? Sure, it appears they've got to draft one, but is where they'll be picking likely to produce an immediate starter? You've got to be really lucky to get someone like Russell Wilson. Heck, if they like Palmer enough they might not even draft a guy this year. My guess is they'll stick with him for sure even if he doesn't play that great the last 3 games.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Chopper, how can they not keep Palmer? Really, is using a rookie QB to start any kind of win now move? Sure, it appears they've got to draft one, but is where they'll be picking likely to produce an immediate starter? You've got to be really lucky to get someone like Russell Wilson. Heck, if they like Palmer enough they might not even draft a guy this year. My guess is they'll stick with him for sure even if he doesn't play that great the last 3 games.

It comes down to money. If the Cards believe they can get comparable play for a lesser price, then they may consider moving on from Palmer. I don't believe they will as I believe what Keim has said about keeping continuity on this roster next year. I expect a bunch of re-signs come the offseason and few free agent additions.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see this go round by karlos as a curtain call, and a wonderful one it was, if he comes back i would be shocked
he signed on to give back as he said and we should enjoy every minute of it
i think the only thing that would give him pause is playing for bowles who is a co-ordinater that knows how to utilize his talents

he was in a system in miami that didn't know how to use him and that will make him think,

is it worth a big payday from another team only to disappear into obscurity? or is it more to his advantage to do a friendly deal to make it to the pro bowl for the next few years?

at this stage in his career perhaps just perhaps he cares more about his legacy than he does his bank account
we can only hope

his bank account at 35 will have to last him (and possibly some of his family) another 40 years. 40 years...in which he probably looks at himself as being able to take care of his entire family and being able to help his families family. Bottom line...for as incredible as he's played, the dude should be able to protect his legacy and get paid what he's worth.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Then factor in that we should start looking into extending core young players like Patrick Peterson and Dan Williams who are FAs in 2015.

Dan Williams a core player? He barely gets on the field these days. Ta'Amu has been better and at a fraction of the cost.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We certainly don't know what we have in Minter yet but if you concerned about his ability to play or stay healthy then keeping Los and DWash makes even more sense. Cut Brinkley and save 2 mil on the CAP. Take that money and add it too Los's current contract and there you have it.

This D is loaded with talent, a bunch of top level players and several that have been in the league for awhile now. I don't hold it against DWash that he isn't a Captain because DD, PP, Los and CC all could be as well. DWash is very active when the D is getting set, very similar to Los.

I've also decided that the ILBer position is devalued far too much by you. Especially when you have our Duo who both blitz so well and are very good in coverage.

Having said all that I could see DWash getting cut if the FO knows more about his stupidity this offseason than the public does.

Another point that is nagging at me is the Steelers are famous for letting their LBers and especially the inside ones moving on in FA because they already have the replacement on the team with a year or two of seasoning.

I don't know what to tell you. It's not just me; it's the entire NFL. ILB is being drafted lower and lower by teams, and even special, dynamic ILBs are a dime a dozen.

Los was signed in April or May for $2.5M on a one-year deal. And we've seen what he can still do.

ILB is the eighth- or ninth-highest paid starting position on most NFL rosters. Don't blame me for it being under-valued. Blame the National Football League.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fun Game -

Last 3 years -

Washington - 16 sacks in 40 games
Dansby - 9 sacks in 46 games

Oh, and Washington is 5 years younger. If it were up to me I'd love to keep both, but Washington if it's an either or, you keep Washington.

Agreed. Keep both and realize they make each other better. Getting rid of Washington is silly talk.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All of Dansby's sacks have come in the last 9 games. :shrug:

Is your inference that Todd Bowles is sending the inferior pass rusher on blitzes? :shrug:

So Dansby didn't have any sacks until DWash came back. They make each other better.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So Dansby didn't have any sacks until DWash came back. They make each other better.

Abraham didn't have any sacks until DWash came back, either. DWash = Other People Getting Sacks All the Time.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Abraham didn't have any sacks until DWash came back, either. DWash = Other People Getting Sacks All the Time.

I agree with that sentiment. he is clearly a pro bowl caliber player that must be accounted for. Its common sense that it would open up some things elsewhere.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dan Williams a core player? He barely gets on the field these days. Ta'Amu has been better and at a fraction of the cost.

Dan and Ta'amu share the snaps almost equally with Dan getting 24% of the snaps and Ta'amu getting 23% YTD through week 13.

So we have a NT on the field about 50% of the time and the formula is working because the Cards Dline is top 3 according to football outsiders.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/dl

BA & Bowles believe it all starts with stopping the run and these two do a great job of it.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
The chances that the Cardinals do NOT pay DWash his roster bonus are slim and none IMO. {unless he screws up again}

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. It's not just me; it's the entire NFL. ILB is being drafted lower and lower by teams, and even special, dynamic ILBs are a dime a dozen.

Los was signed in April or May for $2.5M on a one-year deal. And we've seen what he can still do.

ILB is the eighth- or ninth-highest paid starting position on most NFL rosters. Don't blame me for it being under-valued. Blame the National Football League.

Fair enough. Do you have a link for the pay rates for all positions?

The NFL keeps evolving and at one point the TE position was vastly undervalued by the NFL and now it's the rage. Safeties were considered a luxury and that's changing as well.

With the rebirth of the TE position then finding defenders to slow them down will become more of a priority, big question is will to be ILBer's or Safeties that will become the answer and thus increase their value in draft status and compensation?

The small sample size that is the Bowles D scheme would indicate that ILBer isn't the answer because we have 2 good to great ILBer coverage guys in Los and DWash. Or maybe it's a hole in the scheme he needs to figure out. Maybe it's Bell's lack of coverage ability or HB's short stature or Rashad's lack of coverage ability.

The Cards have improved dramatically pass D according to FB outsiders moving up to 5th best in the NFL through wk 13 and that should improve with their performance against the Rams.

Los & DWash have the most Pass Defensed for a LBer duo in the league.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Unless you play for the 49ers. :D

Willis $29 million guaranteed. Bowman $25 million guaranteed.

Cards need to figure out how to structure contracts like the 49ers.

$54 million guaranteed for those two and they only count $5.3 million against the cap in 2013???

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a failing for D-Wash that he's not a leader. It's a problem when "one of the best young LBs in the game" is not a leader.

Your speculation that he has no leadership abilities is comical and along the lines of people pondering why DD was voted captain when hes not a leader when obviously the players think he is.

From the outside looking in we have no idea what leadership abilities each player possesses and to bash on them for unknown quantities is a waste of breath.

Hating just to hate.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nothing is valid for me, I'm a paranoid Cardinal fan who has had his mind abused by a team which never makes a game seem like an easy deal and who has a history of its players leaving them. I do think this is freaking nice we can argue about something good and not about our LT position where it is still up in the air lol

Perfectly understandable. (lol)

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Unless you play for the 49ers. :D

Willis $29 million guaranteed. Bowman $25 million guaranteed.

Cards need to figure out how to structure contracts like the 49ers.

$54 million guaranteed for those two and they only count $5.3 million against the cap in 2013???

it works because they are paying Kaepernick peanuts

49ers are in the middle of "the SB window is OPEN" and are living for today

I suspect Willis' and Bowman's cap figure climbs dramatically over the next few years.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
it works because they are paying Kaepernick peanuts

49ers are in the middle of "the SB window is OPEN" and are living for today

I suspect Willis' and Bowman's cap figure climbs dramatically over the next few years.

They have some hard decisions next offseason like any team.

Kaepernick is going to be a tough decision, too.

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=49ers&Year=2014

You can see the reason the Niners seem to be in a better position than the Cardinals is that they have their cap under control with only 2 million in dead money in 2014 where the Cardinals are going to have to deal with 10 million in dead money (mostly, 9 million, to pay Adam Snyder, and Levi Brown to NOT play for our team).

....The current dead money total for the Cardinals, for this year, 2013, is 18 million....WOW. Thanks Kevin Kolb for sucking.

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
They have some hard decisions next offseason like any team.

Kaepernick is going to be a tough decision, too.

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=49ers&Year=2014

You can see the reason the Niners seem to be in a better position than the Cardinals is that they have their cap under control with only 2 million in dead money in 2014 where the Cardinals are going to have to deal with 10 million in dead money (mostly, 9 million, to pay Adam Snyder, and Levi Brown to NOT play for our team).

....The current dead money total for the Cardinals, for this year, 2013, is 18 million....WOW. Thanks Kevin Kolb for sucking.

This is the three year plan Steve Keim talks about. The Cardinals spent foolishly in free agency, largely for QB and offensive line, under the previous regime. After next year those mistakes will finally be off the books.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Your speculation that he has no leadership abilities is comical and along the lines of people pondering why DD was voted captain when hes not a leader when obviously the players think he is.

From the outside looking in we have no idea what leadership abilities each player possesses and to bash on them for unknown quantities is a waste of breath.

Hating just to hate.

Dockett is a captain; he's clearly a leader on the team. Not only because of his captaincy, but because of the way his teammates rally around him.

You can't prove a negative. I've provided a ton of evidence (particularly why Washington STILL isn't wearing the green dot on his helmet at this point in his career) why it seems that Daryl Washington isn't considered a leader among his teammates, particularly in comparison to Dansby.

If you have positive evidence for Daryl Washington being a leader, despite his not talking to the media, his not appearing (to my knowledge) on the Big Red Rage, etc., etc., I'd be happy to hear it.

Your ad hominem attack is not particularly convincing to me, and shouldn't be to others, either.

Don't forget Stewart Bradley!

The Niners are incredible at managing their cap. Just masterful.

Joe Staley is one of the five best LTs in the NFL--he has four years left on a contract extension that never has a cap number above $7M.

Patrick Willis has a cap number under $7M in 2014, and under ten for the last two years of his deal.

Navorro Bowman has 2 years left on his deal at a cap number under $8M, and then over $8M for the last three.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dockett is a captain; he's clearly a leader on the team. Not only because of his captaincy, but because of the way his teammates rally around him.

You can't prove a negative. I've provided a ton of evidence (particularly why Washington STILL isn't wearing the green dot on his helmet at this point in his career) why it seems that Daryl Washington isn't considered a leader among his teammates, particularly in comparison to Dansby.

If you have positive evidence for Daryl Washington being a leader, despite his not talking to the media, his not appearing (to my knowledge) on the Big Red Rage, etc., etc., I'd be happy to hear it.

Your ad hominem attack is not particularly convincing to me, and shouldn't be to others, either.

Don't forget Stewart Bradley!

The Niners are incredible at managing their cap. Just masterful.

Joe Staley is one of the five best LTs in the NFL--he has four years left on a contract extension that never has a cap number above $7M.

Patrick Willis has a cap number under $7M in 2014, and under ten for the last two years of his deal.

Navorro Bowman has 2 years left on his deal at a cap number under $8M, and then over $8M for the last three.

There is no attack, there is just nothing to base things on. Going on the radio or talking to the media has nothing to do with leadership. You may think all of these things point to a lack of leadership but you are still just making assumptions of the guy.

I'm not going to compare his leadership to dansby as dansby is a 32 year old vet and he should be more of a leader by default.

But either way, I dont like armchair quarterbacking when its of intangibles that we do not get to see. Its pure conjecture and baseless.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no attack, there is just nothing to base things on. Going on the radio or talking to the media has nothing to do with leadership. You may think all of these things point to a lack of leadership but you are still just making assumptions of the guy.

I'm not going to compare his leadership to dansby as dansby is a 32 year old vet and he should be more of a leader by default.

But either way, I dont like armchair quarterbacking when its of intangibles that we do not get to see. Its pure conjecture and baseless.

One thing that isn't baseless is K9's animus towards D-wash, which colours every one of his comments.