Talk is nice, action is better

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
IMHO, do whatever you can to re-sign Dansby - which won't be easy. If Dansby was brought back and every one of the other guys listed there wasn't, I could live with that.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Wow quite the change tho being pro active compared to not doing anything, at least things are in the works so it seems

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
who are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents in March. Among those whose contracts will expire: Karlos Dansby, Matt Shaughnessy, Eric Winston, Yeremiah Bell, Frostee Rucker, Javier Arenas, Antoine Cason and Rashard Mendenhall.

Dansby would be huge, Minter be damned. I want to see what Minter has but dansby is right, hes easily a top 5 MLB right now.

Beyond him, id like shaunessy back if its cheap, hes been good but not great and if winston will come cheap id keep him at least for depth if not to keep starting.

the rest, i dont care. theyve been OK or worse.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
IMHO, do whatever you can to re-sign Dansby - which won't be easy. If Dansby was brought back and every one of the other guys listed there wasn't, I could live with that.

I will receive some flack for this, but I would be more concerned about Matt Shaughnessy than Karlos Dansby.

JMHO.

Matt Shaughnessy has been a monster for the Cardinals this year, but the stats won't show it. He is 27 years old, and is playing better than Sam Acho, Alex Okafor, and Lorenzo Alexander.

I really, really, really am enjoying Karlos Dansby's play this year, but he is the ultimate mercenary, and will want top dollar next year. All year long we have heard the lamenting of the size of the contract Larry Fitzgerald has, and in that same vein, Dansby at 32 years old, a ILBer, is a risk to give a big money contract to, IMHO. Unless Dansby get the cold reception he got last offseason, he will sign somewhere for big money for 3 to 4 years, and Kevin Minter will be touted as his replacement. That is what I expect to happen (notice I did not say "want to")

BUT, if the Cardinals would want to tie up 10.5 million on a player next year, they could franchise Dansby, but 10.5 million for Dansby might be too much for the 2014 cap to handle.

We will see.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
KTAR will have the podcast up before too long -- the whole thing is worth a listen

Keim also hedged -- something along the lines of "I hope fans and media understand that the market may not let us bring them all back"

Austin Zonie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What will Dansby really get in the open market? A 2 year deal? Maybe 3? I think we have a shot at keeping him. Maybe offer him a year longer than the competition.

What is the going annual rate for a 33 year old top end linebacker?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I will receive some flack for this, but I would be more concerned about Matt Shaughnessy than Karlos Dansby.

JMHO.

Matt Shaughnessy has been a monster for the Cardinals his year.

here is your flak -- even though I kinda see your point

Shaughessy has been really, really solid -- an unsung guy who sets a hard edge in the running game.

that being said: Dansby has been lights out.

Guys like Shaughnessy are a bit easier to replace than a Dansby

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Among those whose contracts will expire: Karlos Dansby, Matt Shaughnessy, Eric Winston, Yeremiah Bell, Frostee Rucker, Javier Arenas, Antoine Cason and Rashard Mendenhall. (For those wondering, John Abraham signed a two-year contract.)

I'd like to see Shaughnessy, Winston, and Rucker re-signed (in addition to Dansby).

I hope we let Arenas walk, or at least get someone else to return kicks. That guy has put is in some craps field position throughout the season with his poor decision-making.

If we can sign the Mendenhall from the last 3 games, the guy who is running with purpose, on the cheap, okay. I bet we let him walk, though.

Cason and Bell would be a nice-to-have for continuity sake, but I think that their losses would not be earth-shattering.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would like to see Dansby, Shaughnessy, Rucker, Arenas and Bell back for a variety of reasons (Bell being because of a terrible S class, not dropping big dollars in FA and being a vet min guy). I like trying to keep the continuity on defense as long as it is not cost detrimental.

I am begining to believe Dansby will test the market regardless of what the Cards offer him. He may do so and still re-sign with Arizona, but he talks like a guy who wants to see how much he can get in his last big contract. I will stay on record that 4 mil per year is the max I would go and that is pushing me 500k past what I really think he is worth. If Dansby wants more than 3yrs for 12 mil...pass though I really want him back.

Back to the article, nice to hear Keim stating he is trying to re-sign some guys before the offseason, and I am getting nervous of Dansby's talk though I think Keim is smart enough to not get into a bidding war for his services.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
KTAR will have the podcast up before too long -- the whole thing is worth a listen

Keim also hedged -- something along the lines of "I hope fans and media understand that the market may not let us bring them all back"

That's not a "hedge"... that's just reality.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cason and Bell would be a nice-to-have for continuity sake, but I think that their losses would not be earth-shattering.

The loss of Bell would be earth shattering for our opponents with potent tight ends.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
There are 3 I would like to see resigned, Karlos Dansby, Matt Shaughnessy, and Frostee Rucker. I think all three deserve a new contract for their contributions this year.

Of these three I think we easily resign Rucker and Shaughnessy. Dansby is certainly going to test the market. I think in most cases he gets no more than 2 year deals offered to him simply because of his age or he gets a 3 year deal with little up front money. His age is a risk for any team the Cardinals included.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to see Dansby, Shaughnessy, Rucker, Arenas and Bell back for a variety of reasons (Bell being because of a terrible S class, not dropping big dollars in FA and being a vet min guy). I like trying to keep the continuity on defense as long as it is not cost detrimental.

I am begining to believe Dansby will test the market regardless of what the Cards offer him. He may do so and still re-sign with Arizona, but he talks like a guy who wants to see how much he can get in his last big contract. I will stay on record that 4 mil per year is the max I would go and that is pushing me 500k past what I really think he is worth. If Dansby wants more than 3yrs for 12 mil...pass though I really want him back.

Back to the article, nice to hear Keim stating he is trying to re-sign some guys before the offseason, and I am getting nervous of Dansby's talk though I think Keim is smart enough to not get into a bidding war for his services.

Good stuff.

I might go higher on Los just because of what he brings as a leader as well. He's getting the play calls from Bowles and is always making sure everyone is in the right place. Maybe SK can get creative and give him a 5yr contract with a bigger signing bonus. Throw in some roster bonuses etc. while not going crazy.

Londen Fletcher & T. Spikes both played very well into their late 30's and I think Los is that kind of athlete.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff.

I might go higher on Los just because of what he brings as a leader as well. He's getting the play calls from Bowles and is always making sure everyone is in the right place. Maybe SK can get creative and give him a 5yr contract with a bigger signing bonus. Throw in some roster bonuses etc. while not going crazy.

Londen Fletcher & T. Spikes both played very well into their late 30's and I think Los is that kind of athlete.

Bingo.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it the Cards will not be able to afford Dansby. He is going to get another big Pay Day from another team. Plus the Cardinals have Brinkley and Minter available at ILB so the cupboard won't be bare if Dansby leaves. Dansby will be a luxury that the Cardinals can't afford.

IMO you go after guys like Matt Shaughnessy, Eric Winston, and Frostee Rucker before free agency opens. These are solid guys who won't necessarily break the bank but if they hit the FA market they may be enticed to go elsewhere.

Plus we need to start looking at an extension for Patrick Peterson which won't come cheap.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it the Cards will not be able to afford Dansby. He is going to get another big Pay Day from another team. Plus the Cardinals have Brinkley and Minter available at ILB so the cupboard won't be bare if Dansby leaves. Dansby will be a luxury that the Cardinals can't afford.

IMO you go after guys like Matt Shaughnessy, Eric Winston, and Frostee Rucker before free agency opens. These are solid guys who won't necessarily break the bank but if they hit the FA market they may be enticed to go elsewhere.

Plus we need to start looking at an extension for Patrick Peterson which won't come cheap.

You could be right... however, I'm guessing Dansby might be willing to give us a bit of a Home Team discount... He loves it here and made a comment recently that he would love to be placed into the Ring of Honor.
Of course, for most it's all about the $$... so, as I said, you could be right and Karlos might jump for greater cash.
I hope he really does want to finish out his career here and is willing to deal with the Cards to make it happen...

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You could be right... however, I'm guessing Dansby might be willing to give us a bit of a Home Team discount... He loves it here and made a comment recently that he would love to be placed into the Ring of Honor.
Of course, for most it's all about the $$... so, as I said, you could be right and Karlos might jump for greater cash.
I hope he really does want to finish out his career here and is willing to deal with the Cards to make it happen...

I hope that to be true.

But, I am not sure if Dansby is that type of guy. It is a business and I don't blame him, but it would be nice to see him sign a 3 year contract extension for fair value for a 32yr old LB whom got NO interest last offseason.

I will let someone else determine the dollar amount of fair.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another reason we need Dansby back, Washington could be suspended again after his court issues are done. This could be a second suspension for him and could be longer than the first. So, even it Minter is good to go, who plays along side of him is Dansby is suspended.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Somewhere early in the season or preseason, I read a quote from Dansby that basically said he got his payday from Miami and now he could worry about finding the right situation to build a legacy.

Now I can't find it. But I hope that is true.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT:

Release Daryl Washington before his $10M roster bonus comes this March; use that money to re-sign Dansby, Shaunessy, and Rucker.

Daryl's impact play yesterday came when the Cards were up by 20, and he paired that with an unnecessary unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Who's more likely to be a captain in 2014?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
UNPOPULAR OPINION ALERT:

Release Daryl Washington before his $10M roster bonus comes this March; use that money to re-sign Dansby, Shaunessy, and Rucker.

Daryl's impact play yesterday came when the Cards were up by 20, and he paired that with an unnecessary unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Who's more likely to be a captain in 2014?

I would not do it, but it is an option none the less.

It would cost the Cardinals 5.5 against the cap, and create a need for a coverage LB.

Cause Dansby can cover SOME TE's just not the good ones.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Not paying players of Dansby's caliber because it cost too much and keeping guys like Winston and Rucker because they are cheap is a great way to go back to 5-11 seasons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison