New Coach? Tell me how things would be different.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
From a pure coaching and teaching aspect, how will a new coach make this team better?

I have always maintained that coaches in the NFL get way too much credit for the success or failures of their team. I'm kind of ambivalent towards a coaching change at this point as I frankly don't see how anyone will be able to get this group of players to play any better, but I can understand if and when one is made. Denny right or wrong has not been able to light a fire under this team's ass on a consistent basis.

This team lacks gamebreakers and when things aren't going right we don't have enough players who are willing and able to change the game. Is that the fault of the coach or a need for better talent evaluation by the GM and scouts.

I think the real question is whether or not we need an overhaul of our roster... again. Will a change at HC mean improvement? What more can a coach do to put his team in position to win?

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
hopefully not so stubborn. instill some damn discipline in this team. teach them how to tackle. will do whats best for the team and not let his ego get in the way. will talk to players when they are underperforming and let them know they need to step it up instead of hearing it from the media. get a faster, meaner o-line.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just want a new coach who will make in game adjustments fairly quickly...not after we are down 3 scores.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Possibly as an exercise, we can all picture how it could be worse...

Sort of a confront your fears exercise!

We could hear the term one heatbeat first crack out of the new guys mouth and he wouldn't even know why several peoples heads just exploded.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
hopefully not so stubborn. instill some damn discipline in this team. teach them how to tackle. will do whats best for the team and not let his ego get in the way. will talk to players when they are underperforming and let them know they need to step it up instead of hearing it from the media. get a faster, meaner o-line.

Is there clear cut evidence that the things that you mentioned are not occuring? I have a hard time believing that they don't practice tackling. Isn't that the responsibility of the DC and position coaches?

How does talking to a player after they screw up help they stop underperforming? Do we know that he doesn't do that already? These guys shouldn't need a pep talk. In all the post game locker room videos Denny always seemed pretty talkative and energetic with his team. I have a hard time believing that he doesn't get in some players faces or chats with them privately.

The O-line. Ultimately isn't that why we pay scouts and GM's?

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
This team lacks gamebreakers and when things aren't going right we don't have enough players who are willing and able to change the game. Is that the fault of the coach or a need for better talent evaluation by the GM and scouts.

I think the real question is whether or not we need an overhaul of our roster... again. Will a change at HC mean improvement? What more can a coach do to put his team in position to win?

I agree with some of what you say, but no gamebreakers? Sure, we need help at DE and CB, but the defense has a couple of "gamechangers", as does the offense at the skill positions. Really, it is amazing how much the O-line can cause havoc. Ours is so bad that those game changers have no chance. On defense we have some depth issues, but again, they can only hold their own for so long.

As for coaching? Let's see, do you think Sean Payton, Eric Mangini, and Brad Childress made a difference? In fact, I think the Minnesota comparison is about on. Talented, young team who can't win. A new message IS enough to take the next step.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure we have a few gamechangers on Offense, but not enough on D. Case in point.. how many times have our Db's dropped int's? When was the last meaningful sack? (excluding the Bears anamoly) our defense has the same bend but don't break mentality.

On offense.. we all know the Oline sucks, but had troy walters held on to the ball against the Bears to sustain a drive.. or BJ caught the TD pass against KC... things might be different. Gamechangers make those plays.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
Is there clear cut evidence that the things that you mentioned are not occuring? I have a hard time believing that they don't practice tackling. Isn't that the responsibility of the DC and position coaches?

How does talking to a player after they screw up help they stop underperforming? Do we know that he doesn't do that already? These guys shouldn't need a pep talk. In all the post game locker room videos Denny always seemed pretty talkative and energetic with his team. I have a hard time believing that he doesn't get in some players faces or chats with them privately.

The O-line. Ultimately isn't that why we pay scouts and GM's?

well since im not in the media or have access to the players, most of what i hear from inside the locker room comes from MJ. he says DG hasnt talked to LD in 3 years! 3 years? are you kidding me? doesnt tell warner that he wont start anymore. hard to respect a guy that doesn't have the balls to tell you your benched.

what about talking to players during the game? ive never seen that once. he just stands there by himself listening to the headset the whole game. he already admitted he doesnt call ANY plays. all he's there for is circumstance's he says. those have been shaky at best this year. we definately need someone in here that has some fire and isn't here to feed their ego.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Sure we have a few gamechangers on Offense, but not enough on D. Case in point.. how many times have our Db's dropped int's? When was the last meaningful sack? (excluding the Bears anamoly) our defense has the same bend but don't break mentality.

On offense.. we all know the Oline sucks, but had troy walters held on to the ball against the Bears to sustain a drive.. or BJ caught the TD pass against KC... things might be different. Gamechangers make those plays.

Well I agree, we need DE and CB help. Our DEs got old, VERY fast and the pass rush has suffered. The CBs depth is non-existant. At least they drop the INTs. PRior year DBs wouldn't even be in position for that.

And if we are looking for our 4th WR to be a gamebreaker, we are just going to be disappointed. BJ is not our "gambreaker" on offense. Now when Larry or Quan do the same and it costs us the game, I'll complain. In fact, about the only gamebreaker who made a bone-headed play this year were the Warner fumble and the Edge fumble. I just can't put BJ and Troy in that catagory and be mad about it.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well I agree, we need DE and CB help. Our DEs got old, VERY fast and the pass rush has suffered. The CBs depth is non-existant. At least they drop the INTs. PRior year DBs wouldn't even be in position for that.

And if we are looking for our 4th WR to be a gamebreaker, we are just going to be disappointed. BJ is not our "gambreaker" on offense. Now when Larry or Quan do the same and it costs us the game, I'll complain. In fact, about the only gamebreaker who made a bone-headed play this year were the Warner fumble and the Edge fumble. I just can't put BJ and Troy in that catagory and be mad about it.

Eh I see what you're saying but both times the effing ball was right in their hands... why can't they do what they've done their whole life to get to the NFL... just catch the ball! I could understand if they were just not talented enough to get open, but on both plays Troy and BJ had the ball hit them right in the hands.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In game adjustments, better playcalling, playing to our strengths on offense, better time management, build an Oline. Call Runs that might work. Mix up the RBs so it isn't all edge, all the time. Fire up the team to not turtle in games and to keep the gas on at all times.

A coach that does most of that above or all of it will be very successful here.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Yeah, I think really that despite the depth problems on defense, we are an AVERAGE offensive line away from being a winning team. I under estimated how important that group is and how poorly they would play.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be fair, Walters got completely jacked up on that play if we're talking the same play. He dropped one yesterday that surprised me, he rarely drops balls. Quan even dropped 2 that surprised me yesterday.

Berry caused 2 fumbles, we recovered them, but the O didn't cash in. We could use a Steve Smith level speed guy at WR or RB but so could virtually every team in the NFL.

Who was the gamebreaker on the Patriots in those Superbowls? Brady is awesome and they had very good WR's but no real gamebreaker, but they're so well coached and prepared.

I can't say it enough, one team this year did NOT double Burgess, us. One team this year gave Moss a huge cushion, us. SF and Cleveland both covered moss with rookie CB's, backups, and got away with it because they played him tight and he just stopped trying, we gave Moss a ton of room, got him into the game, and he kept trying. Maybe playing against Green was a factor too I suppose but the scheme was doomed to fail because of the cushion.

We go into too many games with poor preparation, even Green admitted we weren't ready to play Sunday.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
We go into too many games with poor preparation, even Green admitted we weren't ready to play Sunday.

My main problem with Green as well.

Green is incredible arrogant and it's almost like he believes that this team automaticly goes 15-1 without any preparation, because he has a team in Minnesota that went 15-1.

The team is terrible managed on game days with regards to play-calling, schemes and adjustments. Green is to blame for that.

Another thing that really bugs me is the mix-n-match metality that Green enforce on the team.

Griffith was a very good SS for him in Minnesota, so Green believes he can be a FS here, eventhough Griffith always was considered slow - even for a SS. Could be a good player, but a terrible fit for our scheme at his current position. Griffith is a SS, not a FS.

Green brings in Ross to be the mauling frontside tackle, eventhough Big is in the same mould. At the same time he knows that he goiung to play a left-handed QB, but never questions that Ross can be a blindside tackle. Could be a good player, but a terrible fit for our scheme at his current position. Ross cannot play blindside. Either move him back to the front or to guard.

Wells has the best tecnique and understanding of the game, and could be awesome in a pure zone-blocking scheme. We don't run a scheme like that, but Wells stills plays G, which is arguably the worst fit for him in our scheme. Could be a good player, but a terrible fit for our scheme at his current position. Wells is a C in our scheme, but would also do much better as the blindside tackle at RT instead of Ross.

Rolle is drafted to play "cover 2", but is being exposed because he doesn't have any safety support. Could be a good player, but a terrible fit for our scheme at his current position. If you want to play him at CB, then give him a FS with range. Otherwise move him to FS.

It's obvious that Big simply is too big to be the blindside OT. Why didn't Green realize this sooner? Big is either a G or a frontside tackle? He playing the frontside now, but that's because Leinart is left-handed, not because Green realized it was a bad fit. Well, actually. the first thing Green did when he came here was to move Big to LG, but Green then put LJ in the doghouse and later released him. LJ would be the best frontside OT, if he was on the roster today.

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
From a pure coaching and teaching aspect, how will a new coach make this team better?

I have always maintained that coaches in the NFL get way too much credit for the success or failures of their team. I'm kind of ambivalent towards a coaching change at this point as I frankly don't see how anyone will be able to get this group of players to play any better, but I can understand if and when one is made. Denny right or wrong has not been able to light a fire under this team's ass on a consistent basis.

No offense Clif but this is the most ******** question in the history of threads. I can't see how anyone would even ask this question. In the NFL coaching and preperation means everything. Its why a coach like Eric Mangini or Scott Linehan can take a under talented team like the Jets and Rams and make them winners.

No one should question this roster. We have good - great players at every position (meaning LB corp as a whole, secondary as a whole, QB's as a whole) and the only personnel issue we have really is offensive line and that comes from coaching once again as DG hand picked the line. More than any other sport football players rely on emotion and focus to execute. Its like the commercial says - amatuers practice till they get it right, Pros practice until they can't get it wrong. We have bad playcalling, no disciplpine (look at the penalities) and an inability to adjust in game. Just look at how badly we get out scored in the second half of games. There is no bigger indictment than that as thats when a coach makes his bread....

Please - Please - Please everyone just understand that it isn't the players. we need to make a few augmentations to the roster but otherwise player wise we are not that far away. We have current Pro Bowlers (Boldin and Fitz), future Pro Bowlers (Wilson, Dansby, Dockett, Leinart) and past Pro Bowlers (James, BIG, Player and Rackers) at ALOT of positions It will just take the right coach. And mark my words if they bring the right one in (and i'll let you know if they do) then we WILL win next year. A good coach makes a good team great and a great team champs. Right now we are a bad team but that because of the artist formerly named Dennis Green - not the players......

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

With eleven turnovers in the last two games I would have to disagree with your take on the defense. For most teams that is gamechanging-big time.

Yeah, I think really that despite the depth problems on defense, we are an AVERAGE offensive line away from being a winning team. I under estimated how important that group is and how poorly they would play.

Don't forget that special teams is causing just as many problems as the offensive line.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Teams take on the personna of their head coaches.

Aside from our other problems, I feel this team collectively lacks mental alertness and mental toughness. (Sometimes I get the feeling it collectively has a Football IQ somewhere between a door-knob and a six pack).

Is it that we bring in players who get outsmarted more than they outsmart their opponents? Who don't get up from adversity and swing from the heels? Who can't grasp the most basic of offensive blocking techniques?

Or is it that the coaches coach that way? Or that they can't get through to the players?

Beats me. But, in my opinion, it's a major thing DG has to deal with if he's to right the ship within a dwindling time frame.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Teams take on the personna of their head coaches.

So you are saying that the Cardinals have had the same head coach since 1985? :D

It's always seemed to me that many football teams teams take on an identity or style that doesn't change for years no matter who the players are or who is coaching. Don't know why that is though.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just want a new coach who will make in game adjustments fairly quickly...not after we are down 3 scores.

When a company or team is going this bad for this long it is normal to make changes at the highest level of management. None of us really know what all is wrong with this team and from our perspective cannot really say what a new coach and staff would do. Something must be done. That is clear or else revenue streams will drop off and the Bidwills do understand revenue. Personally I think the problem begins with the way the organization is organized. No GM with any powers to speak of and not spending available money to improve the personal. This has been a "Family" run business for to long and that limits just how much you can grow. A smart family would hire experts to run the businessl. Bill Walton started with a small store in North Arkansas but was smart enough to hire brilliant people along the way to create the worlds most suuccessful company. Many family businesses ultimatel fail as the business is passed on from generation to generation. The Cardinals have not changed with the times. They are run like they were 50 years ago and with the same results.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree with some of what you say, but no gamebreakers? Sure, we need help at DE and CB, but the defense has a couple of "gamechangers", as does the offense at the skill positions. Really, it is amazing how much the O-line can cause havoc. Ours is so bad that those game changers have no chance. On defense we have some depth issues, but again, they can only hold their own for so long.

As for coaching? Let's see, do you think Sean Payton, Eric Mangini, and Brad Childress made a difference? In fact, I think the Minnesota comparison is about on. Talented, young team who can't win. A new message IS enough to take the next step.

I think talking about individual players is just barking around the edges of what is wrong with this team. Not just this team but most teams going back for years. We have a basic organizational problem and until that is solved it want make any difference who we sign or who the Coach is.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much you can grow. A smart family would hire experts to run the businessl. Bill Walton started with a small store in North Arkansas but was smart enough to hire brilliant people along the way to create the worlds most suuccessful company. Many family businesses ultimatel fail as the business is passed on from generation to generation. The Cardinals have not changed with the times. They are run like they were 50 years ago and with the same results.

And Sam Walton made all that money in the NBA and now drives everyone nuts as an announcer.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No offense Clif but this is the most ******** question in the history of threads. I can't see how anyone would even ask this question. In the NFL coaching and preperation means everything. Its why a coach like Eric Mangini or Scott Linehan can take a under talented team like the Jets and Rams and make them winners.

No one should question this roster. We have good - great players at every position (meaning LB corp as a whole, secondary as a whole, QB's as a whole) and the only personnel issue we have really is offensive line and that comes from coaching once again as DG hand picked the line. More than any other sport football players rely on emotion and focus to execute. Its like the commercial says - amatuers practice till they get it right, Pros practice until they can't get it wrong. We have bad playcalling, no disciplpine (look at the penalities) and an inability to adjust in game. Just look at how badly we get out scored in the second half of games. There is no bigger indictment than that as thats when a coach makes his bread....

Please - Please - Please everyone just understand that it isn't the players. we need to make a few augmentations to the roster but otherwise player wise we are not that far away. We have current Pro Bowlers (Boldin and Fitz), future Pro Bowlers (Wilson, Dansby, Dockett, Leinart) and past Pro Bowlers (James, BIG, Player and Rackers) at ALOT of positions It will just take the right coach. And mark my words if they bring the right one in (and i'll let you know if they do) then we WILL win next year. A good coach makes a good team great and a great team champs. Right now we are a bad team but that because of the artist formerly named Dennis Green - not the players......

Even through all of that had BJ made one catch (against KC)... had Kurt not fumbled against the Rams.. Had Rackers made ONE of the kicks he missed where would this team be? That is my point. Winning players make winning plays. They don't wait for coaches to scheme them up. What ever happened to lining up and just beating your guy? Just make effin plays.

Sure new coaches bring new ways to approach existing problems, but that only lasts so long. Eventually you have to have talented players making plays.

And before we jump on the Rams bandwagon. Who have they beaten that's worth a damn? Also I still believe they have a Probowl tackle, a probowl running back and receiver, AND a very solid QB play. Seems to me they are just making plays.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And before we jump on the Rams bandwagon. Who have they beaten that's worth a damn? Also I still believe they have a Probowl tackle, a probowl running back and receiver, AND a very solid QB play. Seems to me they are just making plays.

they beat one of the best teams in football - the Broncos. They also don't have a pro-bowl RB.

And with all that talent last year - pretty much the same, they were a very bad team, even with the same QB, the same RB, the same WR and the same LT. So what's different about that team? A pickup here or there, but the biggest obvious difference is... they got a new HC. That kind of proves Arizona's Finest point, doesn't it?