Possible new kickoff rules.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The owners will be voting today on a new kickoff rules. After reading the article, I say just eliminate the kickoff totally especially if they vote to change it as proposed.

https://theathletic.com/5365644/202...senewsletter&campaign=9364949&userId=11995409

For those that can't access the Athletic article here is the proposed change.

The proposal aims to increase kickoff returns and reduce injury by eliminating the running start of the kickoff team and by incentivizing kickers to drop kicks into a landing zone, which extends from the goal line to the 20-yard line. Any kick that drops in the landing zone must be returned. If it bounces into the end zone from the landing zone, it must be returned or downed, and any kick that falls short of the landing zone will be treated like an out-of-bounds kickoff and placed on the receiving team’s 40-yard line. Any kick that lands in the end zone or goes out of the back of the end zone is a touchback and placed on the 30-yard line.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The owners will be voting today on a new kickoff rules. After reading the article, I say just eliminate the kickoff totally especially if they vote to change it as proposed.

https://theathletic.com/5365644/202...senewsletter&campaign=9364949&userId=11995409

For those that can't access the Athletic article here is the proposed change.

The proposal aims to increase kickoff returns and reduce injury by eliminating the running start of the kickoff team and by incentivizing kickers to drop kicks into a landing zone, which extends from the goal line to the 20-yard line. Any kick that drops in the landing zone must be returned. If it bounces into the end zone from the landing zone, it must be returned or downed, and any kick that falls short of the landing zone will be treated like an out-of-bounds kickoff and placed on the receiving team’s 40-yard line. Any kick that lands in the end zone or goes out of the back of the end zone is a touchback and placed on the 30-yard line.
So now they’re trying to make a kicker a golfer.

Horrible rule idea

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I actually like it. I'd rather see a real option of a return, than just having kickers boot them through the end zone. A legit kick returner is a useful weapon.
Here it is in case anyone wants to complain without knowing what it would look like:

Kinda neat; seems more like a running play than like the battle scene in Braveheart. It'll take some getting used to, but it would be fine.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here it is in case anyone wants to complain without knowing what it would look like:

Kinda neat; seems more like a running play than like the battle scene in Braveheart. It'll take some getting used to, but it would be fine.
Thanks for posting that. Looks interesting. Would definitely eliminate a bunch of the big hits from reaching full steam.

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If these new kickoff rules are enforced for the 2024 season, there is going to be a substantial increase in kickoff returns for TDs. The compressed field will allow for that. Less depth between the defenders and the returner. There will also be more field starting position pass the 30 yard line since the returner is closer to it. As a coach I would rather have my kicker still send it into the end one and just have the opponent start at the 30 yard line instead of giving them a chance to start at a better field position.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If these new kickoff rules are enforced for the 2024 season, there is going to be a substantial increase in kickoff returns for TDs. The compressed field will allow for that. Less depth between the defenders and the returner. There will also be more field starting position pass the 30 yard line since the returner is closer to it. As a coach I would rather have my kicker still send it into the end one and just have the opponent start at the 30 yard line instead of giving them a chance to start at a better field position.
I also think a LOT of teams will spend a late day 2 or a 3rd day pick on a special teams returner, since you get to have two returners back there and the kicker can essentially choose to kick away from one of them.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Its fine, but too complicated with 9 different outcomes depending on where the ball lands. Touchback and everything else at the 25....out of bounds at the 40.

How does this effect onside kicks?

Reaction score
Its fine, but too complicated with 9 different outcomes depending on where the ball lands. Touchback and everything else at the 25....out of bounds at the 40.

How does this effect onside kicks?

If I am not mistaken... I'm pretty sure I read that this will eliminate the option of a surprise onside kick, teams will have to declare their intention to onside to the officials prior to the play

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It seems like there will be alot of TDs. Just one line of defenders. Get through that and you're gone. Yeah I would rather just send it through the end zone and not risk that.

BulldogCard

Veteran
Reaction score
It's a painful tackle, the hip drop one but get the flags ready. All about the money over tradition. Flags protect against all the lawsuits so they think. They'll be kicking themselves later because it'll work against them. The fans will leave. Not only do they lose their endzone seats to little doll houses for the rich with a cheezy fake plant in the corner; they also lose the game they love, action

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
This plus only in the 4th quarter and they have to be behind in points.
See, now I dont like it at all. Now they are messing with the strategy of the game. The onside kick has always been an option, and even though its very low percentage, its available to a coach that wants to try something.

I hate when they change rules that take away strategic options for how to manage a game. IMO, if you think you can make a surprise onside work, you should be able to bust it out at any moment.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken... I'm pretty sure I read that this will eliminate the option of a surprise onside kick, teams will have to declare their intention to onside to the officials prior to the play
Ribeye, medium rare, garlic mashed potatoes on the side...and an ice cold glass of sweet tea

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
See, now I dont like it at all. Now they are messing with the strategy of the game. The onside kick has always been an option, and even though its very low percentage, its available to a coach that wants to try something.

I hate when they change rules that take away strategic options for how to manage a game. IMO, if you think you can make a surprise onside work, you should be able to bust it out at any moment.
It's the reason I stop watching baseball. Once they started with the designated hitter and taking out the strategy of pinching hitting for the pitcher and bunting a runner over and other strategic action I felt the great parts of the game were gone. Besides there were some pretty good hitting pitchers in the day. I remember Bob Gibson pinch hitting in a game and he put it over the fence to clear the bases.