XM & Sirius agree to merge

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
xm or sirius?

Do any of you have either one of these satellite radio systems? My wife thinks it would make a good stocking stuffer (in her stocking). Just looking for any recommendations/feedback. Thanks

Brad

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Not sure I would want to pay $10.00 a month to listen to the radio? How often does she travel? I would go with XM, becouse I know the people who started the Co. Does anyone remember Bruce Kelly?? He works there now.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re: xm or sirius?

Originally posted by NDSunsfan
Do any of you have either one of these satellite radio systems? My wife thinks it would make a good stocking stuffer (in her stocking). Just looking for any recommendations/feedback. Thanks

Brad

While both offer car and portable radio....Sirius is concentrating on the car radio market. I have heard both are good but I believe that Sirius has 3 satellites in space, while XM only has 2 at the moment

OP
OP
N

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I would want to pay $10.00 a month to listen to the radio?

If you lived in Minot, North Dakota, you'd be willing to pay money to listen to the radio, believe me:D

Seriously, she's more interested in some of the talk radio, etc. And heck, if I could catch a little more sports talk, that wouldn't be all bad, would it?

Thanks for the input.

Brad

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
bump

I was thinking about asking for one for X-Mas as it looks like I'm going to be in the car a lot for a new job I'm starting next year. Any recommendations two years after this debate? Cost, user friendliness, and product quality are the three biggest factors for me.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sirius is really cool. The price is $12.95 a month and I love it. I get to listen to all the NFL broadcasts. I especially like to hear Cardinal games from the opponents perspective. I rarely loose a signal and was very easy to setup.
If you are a Howard Stern fan then you want Sirius since he will be on the air starting in January.

I also get a bunch of Nba broadcasts.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have sirius and I like it but I do have complaints. On Sundays they switch from regular programming to NFL, but they do it SECONDS before kickoff so you don't get the pregame usually, and you never get the post game.

But I get pretty good reception I have the boombox as well and it works just fine and for long trips it's great to put it on one station and not worry about losing it.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
What about cost? Can I pay for either of them up front or do they both rely on monthly subscriptions?

I had XM and I loved it. I paid my subscription in 6 month increments. I believe I could have paid up to a year though if I had wanted to.

Don't know anything about Sirius so I can't comment on it.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
What about cost? Can I pay for either of them up front or do they both rely on monthly subscriptions?

Yeah you can go with monthly, annually and I think you can get a lifetime subscription, but I haven't looked at their site in awhile. I would give you more price info but I can't access their site from work.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I remember you could get a lifetime subscription for like $300.00 or something like that? That's something you will to your family members

Kolo

Reaction score
This will sound like a stupid question, but is the subscription to you, or personal to a particular radio? In other words, if I get Sirius in my car radio, can I listen to it from my office stereo?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
This will sound like a stupid question, but is the subscription to you, or personal to a particular radio? In other words, if I get Sirius in my car radio, can I listen to it from my office stereo?

Another good question. I wanna know, too. :)

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:

Good question, I wanna know, too

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Another good question. I wanna know, too. :)
As do I. The NFL and NBA packages would be useless as the games are going to be played at night and on the weekends when my car is sitting in the driveway if I can't transfer the thing indoors.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
As do I. The NFL and NBA packages would be useless as the games are going to be played at night and on the weekends when my car is sitting in the driveway if I can't transfer the thing indoors.

That would be kind of funny, though...all of us sitting in our driveways listening to football games.

:D

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:

Yes you can listen live from their website.

The subscription is to you.. no matter if you have 1 or 10 receivers.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
clif said:
I get some hockey games, but I think (don't quote me) XM carries the hockey contract.

Which games?

Is the radio package like the tv Center Ice package where you get (I think) all of them?