Wk 1 Arizona Cardinals @ Tennessee Titans Pre Game thread Sept 6 - Sept 11, 2021

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Except the TE is covered by Simmons.

Right, because you can guarantee that: 1) They'll be on the field at the same time, and 2) Teams can't possibly exploit how abysmally slow Hicks is and pass against him.

He's adequate against the run. He's beyond a liability in coverage. That's just who the player is.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Steve Keim dismisses idea that playoff expectations put added pressure on Kliff Kingsbury

Steve Keim became the Cardinals’ General Manager in 2013. Two years later, the Cardinals made the NFC Championship Game, where they lost to the Panthers. The team has not made the playoffs since.

The Cardinals, on paper, have their best team since 2015, which is why Keim feels “probably as good as I’ve felt about a team probably since 2015.”

“I feel like we have a chance to be a really good football team, but we have to execute,” Keim said on his weekly radio appearance on Arizona Sports 98.7, via Darren Urban of the team website.

It reiterated what Keim said earlier this week about having “no doubt” the Cardinals are a playoff team. So, what if the Cardinals don’t make the playoffs?

Keim’s comments seem to put “win-now” pressure on the shoulders of coach Kliff Kingsbury. Keim, though, dismissed a question about how big of a year it is for the team’s third-year head coach.

Keim wants to focus on the excitement going into this season rather than possible disappointment at the end of the season.

“Expectations are high, not only locally but also nationally, and certainly within our building,” Keim said.

Kingsbury, who was 35-40 in his six seasons at his alma mater, Texas Tech, went only 13-18-1 in his first two NFL seasons. Now, he has a star-studded roster and great expectations.

That prompted a follow-up question to Keim about what he needs to see to bring back Kingsbury in 2022.

“I don’t look at it that way,” Keim said. “I look at the positives. The changes we have made with the players in that locker room. Self-policing the locker room with the accountability stuff. J.J. Watt. A.J. Green. Rodney Hudson. Matt Prater. Guys who have been there and done it. Those young guys on the roster, the Zaven Collinses, the Rondale Moores, those guys get to a point where they are seasoned pros by midseason not only because they have been in the NFL for a few months, but they have been around true pros. That, to me, is what is exciting to see, and then the ascension of Kyler Murray and all he has done.”

Kingsbury, for his part, also brushed off any talk about his future and any extra pressure he faces in 2021.

“I think going through being the head coach at your alma mater and getting fired, it’s kind of walking through fire in this profession,” Kingsbury said this week. “So, after going through that, not too much really fazes you.”

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right, because you can guarantee that: 1) They'll be on the field at the same time, and 2) Teams can't possibly exploit how abysmally slow Hicks is and pass against him.

He's adequate against the run. He's beyond a liability in coverage. That's just who the player is.

And why would the DC substitute Simmons with Hicks?

Simmons is part of the base, nickel, and dime packages.

Pass coverage is not Hicks strong suit but this is the NFL and your hyperbolic 'abysmally slow' and the 'beyond a liability' don't collect multi-million dollar yearly stipends.

Last edited:

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
on the Keim comments:

1. he is right-- it is the most talented since 2015. This team has a reasonably experienced, very talented QB. The standard outside view of the team is that if it were in any division other than the NFC West, it would be considered a likely playoff team.

2. Most talented since 2015 is kind of a low bar. Maybe not fair to the 2016 team, but after that.......

3. CLEARLY: this is Keim saying to his boss "if we dont make the playoffs, dont look at me"

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
i could listen to Greg Cosell break down plays for hours:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yeah. It’s pretty great. The thing this hides is that obviously pre-snap Kyler had a numbers advantage where he was running. The play design cleared out players who were already out of position to make the play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chris Carson is a pretty violent runner and we saw Baker end his season.

Baker will hit him low.
I’m not saying baker is incapable of bringing Henry down. But even hitting Henry low can be dangerous for a DB. And Carson and Henry are no comparison.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on the Keim comments:

1. he is right-- it is the most talented since 2015. This team has a reasonably experienced, very talented QB. The standard outside view of the team is that if it were in any division other than the NFC West, it would be considered a likely playoff team.

2. Most talented since 2015 is kind of a low bar. Maybe not fair to the 2016 team, but after that.......

3. CLEARLY: this is Keim saying to his boss "if we dont make the playoffs, dont look at me"
#3. Exactly.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Yeah. It’s pretty great. The thing this hides is that obviously pre-snap Kyler had a numbers advantage where he was running. The play design cleared out players who were already out of position to make the play.
being the highlights, they are examples of when everything goes according to plan

i suspect that those plays are examples of putting a personnel grouping / formation out there to get a certain look from the D and getting it

it also reflects what (iirc) PFF said about the Cards O: a sophisticated and varied run game and a simple pass game

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And why would the DC substitute Simmons with Hicks?

Simmons is part of the base, nickel, and dime packages.

Pass coverage is not Hicks strong suit but this is the NFL and your hyperbolic 'abysmally slow' and the 'beyond a liability' don't collect multi-million dollar yearly stipends.

Funnily by far Hicks best grade last season was coverage with a 62. His overall was 50.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
on the Keim comments:

If Bruce was coaching we would have been in the playoffs last year

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
New kicker. Not easy to get timing down with little practice.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard