With the 8th pick in the NFL Draft......

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Dr. Jones, Dec 29, 2019.

1. DVontel

DVontel Registered

We have a semi-washed up CB, a inconsistent CB coming off injury, a CB coming off a up & down rookie season, & UDFAs. All playing one of the most impactful positions in football.

How in the world Okudah would be a luxury pick?

2. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Well, I've said my piece, and until free agency is done, it's where I stand. We have three corners we can get by with, and no DL, ILB, or RT, all of which should have premium players in that range.

I suppose we'll see.

3. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Peterson - still a top CB.
    Alford - paid too much to move on from for two more years.
    Murphy - needs more time and we simply have to commit to young players at some point if we're going to win.

If we don't extend PP, maybe. But I think we should, most of the board seems to think so, and the Cardinals are trying to. But the main reality is that these three guys should be in the plans for at least 2020 and 2021.

4. MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease Moderator Contributor

Time to recreate the success of the Cardinals 2004 draft:

2004 Round 1) WR - Larry Fitzgerald Pitt
    2020 Round 1) WR - CeeDee Lamb Okla

2004 Round 2) ILB - Karlos Dansby Auburn
    2020 Round 2) ILB - Kenneth Murray Okla

2004 Round 3) DT - Darnell Dockett FSU
    2020 Round 3) DT - Rashard Lawrence LSU

5. DVontel

DVontel Registered

Top CB to who? Arizona Cardinals fans? We all seen Peterson get burnt multiple games last season. He’s not even top 10 anymore.

I don’t remember the numbers off the top of my head, but cutting Alford would be easy. I’m pretty the dead cap would minimal

Are you doing this on purpose? Just ignoring that Murphy & Okudah would both be on the field at the same time a majority of the time?

Krangthebrain likes this.
  6. RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin Uh,huhuhuhuhuh

A football player!

BOOM!

What do I win?

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

b8rtm8nn likes this.
  7. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Alford's cap hit is pretty low in 2021. It's not as bad as I thought this year either, going back to look at the numbers.

Again, this is about overinvesting at one position. You hate Patrick Peterson, I get it. And in that case, Okudah means a ton to you.

I don't have the numbers about nickel CB usage in 2019, but I do have that Vance Joseph's main goal is to use it less than we did in 2018: https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/10/az-arizona-cardinals-defensive-packages/

So, will they really be on the field most of the time? If we re-sign Peterson, which again, we're talking about doing, is it really worth using #8 on a #2 or #3 CB?

This is all based off of our holes and what we have available right now. It is my belief we can get by with these CBs, but not with the other completely unfilled starter positions. It also fails to do one of the most important things for this team, which is aid in the protection or growth of Kyler Murray.

8. SoonerLou

SoonerLou Registered

Keim had a top 5 grade on Murphy.

So if he grades as high its not shocking that he'd take him. Lets just hope he's a helluva lot better than Murphy (I think his future is at safety tbh)

9. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

Okudah would have a learning curve like any rookie, which is why Alford would be key in 202O. In today's game with over 60% of snaps in Nickel and Dime a slot corner is de facto a starter, and why Murphy was highly touted on all boards.

Krangthebrain likes this.
  10. DVontel

DVontel Registered

I don’t hate Peterson. I just don’t like that people are saying he’s still a top 10 when we seen otherwise just last season.

Funny, this debate is pretty much an inverse of our Drake debate.

Krangthebrain and Solar7 like this.
  11. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

Geez, I thought it was #15. That scares me. A top 5 grade on a guy you think can't play outside?

We can continue to go around and around on this, I'm just not going to be on board with an Okudah pick until it looks like we've resolved the other problems outside of the draft - and I don't see a financial way to do so.

12. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

I’ll through this into the mix. If Okudah is still there at #8 our chances of trading down is increased.

daves likes this.
  13. daves

daves Keepin' it real! Contributor

I think we all need to accept the fact that the Cardinals are not going to fill all of their holes with above average players this off-season. Instead of passing on a better player to fill a need this season, it makes more sense to take the BPA (if it's Okudah) at a very important position where it's difficult to acquire top talent.

In 2020, Alford will hopefully provide depth and experience while Okudah learns, and in 2021, the Cardinals would still have a core of Okudah, Peterson, and Murphy - three high draft picks, two still young, all hopefully performing at a high level, at the three CB positions. That could be a championship-caliber secondary.

Remaining holes can be filled in free agency and next off-season. DL, LB, and RT are easier positions to fill in free agency and lower in the draft than CB anyway.

...dave

14. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

I think we sign a 1 top defensive free agent,(DE Harris) a couple of 2nd tier defensive free agents ( ILB Kwaitkowski , DT Billings). I think we get Drake and Shipley back along with guys we want back like Gunther, Murray, etc.

I think we draft Lamb in the first round. In the second round there will be and OLB available. Gross-Matos, Greenard or Baun all fit our need.

Maybe a guy like Robert Quinn or Jason Pierre Paul could be short term at DE.

Fill in any names you’d like. But I think we go after a DE, DT and an ILB in free agency. I’m betting we add Lamb and an OLB in the second round to groom, challenge or replace Reddick.

15. BritCard

BritCard Registered

Ive got a feeling they only sign one defensive lineman and resign Gunter or Kerr with Allen coming back. Maybe that kid we picked up from the Bears on waivers who's name I cant recall right now.