Will Kyler Murray become a franchise QB...

Will Kyler Murray become a franchise QB

• Total voters

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I don’t think Kyler has the talent Josh Allen has.

As a matter of fact, I don’t think any QB has the talent Josh Allen has. Including Mahomes.

Was going to say the same thing I think Josh is the most talented QB in the NFL today just sheer physical skills, size, strength, arm and running ability. He also has better mechanics than Mahomes. I don't think he has the touch of some other guys but he's got touch. Herbert is pretty close in there too size, arm etc.

Kyler has the arm and the feet but not the size. I like Kyler a ton but there are limitations, you see guys like Allen, Brady etc who are so good at the QB sneak, that won't work with Kyler he's just too small

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's funny because I'd say Kyler is the worst guy there and 2 of them have been in the league a year less.

EXTREMELY tough hit on Baker, Tua, Mac Jones, and Trevor Lawrence, for sure.

I don't know how anyone can make a rational argument that Kyler isn't the worst of those guys.

Any team that doesn’t already have a stud QB would take Kyler in a second don’t kid yourselves! He IS a franchise QB who needs to continue to grow and get better. Everyone is different and some take more time to get there like Rodgers for example. Today’s society is just so impatient it’s unbelievable.

Aaron Rodgers came into the league 17 years ago. It's time for a fresher example.

Patrick Mahomes was an MVP his second season and Super Bowl Champion his third.
Lamar Jackson was an MVP his second season.
Joe Burrow is going to the freaking Super Bowl in his second season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's funny because I'd say Kyler is the worst guy there and 2 of them have been in the league a year less.

Kyler is actually a year younger than Burrow which surprises me. Burrown doesn't have the arm of the others but he seems very calm, too calm at times he takes sacks he doesn't need to. But I think the calmness is something Kyler needs to learn. I think the team sees how calm Burrow is and they calm down, I think some of our guys sense the lack of calm in Kyler and it causes issues.

The pick against the Rams was awful, plummer esque but honestly the play that I think bothered me the most this whole year with Kyler was the end of the game 2 against the Rams when literally the only guy on the field who didn't expect him to spike the ball was him. I just don't see how that happened.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler is actually a year younger than Burrow which surprises me. Burrown doesn't have the arm of the others but he seems very calm, too calm at times he takes sacks he doesn't need to. But I think the calmness is something Kyler needs to learn. I think the team sees how calm Burrow is and they calm down, I think some of our guys sense the lack of calm in Kyler and it causes issues.

The pick against the Rams was awful, plummer esque but honestly the play that I think bothered me the most this whole year with Kyler was the end of the game 2 against the Rams when literally the only guy on the field who didn't expect him to spike the ball was him. I just don't see how that happened.
Kyler's two-minute drill is McNabb-esque.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler's two-minute drill is McNabb-esque.

even beyond that though heat of the moment and all how can 10 guys know they need to spike it and not him? IS there no communication where he told them he wasn't going to spike it and someone could have said dude you have to spike it?

Some of that is coaching there has to be a way to signal that in to make sure everyone knows, but the one guy on the team that HAS to know that at that point in the game is the one guy who didn't. That's why it's the one play that bothers me the most, I can't fathom how he didn't realize he needed to spike it there.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I don't know how anyone can make a rational argument that Kyler isn't the worst of those guys.

Aaron Rodgers came into the league 17 years ago. It's time for a fresher example.

Yep. The NFL has evolved and things happen--and need to happen--far quicker. We don't have 5-7 years to hand-hold KM into maturing.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The stars ali

The stars aligned for Burrowand their kicker had an unreal season. Mahomes and Lamar are outliers lol so everyone should be expected to be absolute studs now? That’s absurd not to mention both of those guys have legit SB winning NFL coaching behind them! You ignor the main point almost any team would take him because he is a legit talent that needs to grow more. We simply IMO don’t have a good coaching staff…

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Yeah that’s not what I’m getting at either. I’m not trying to find a match of identifiable traits. I’m trying to find a comp for level of success he seems destined for right now. My fear is cousins. Put up flashy numbers early and excited some folks (so much the Vikings paid dearly for him and some ASFN posters were fawning for him) but then he leveled off and is now kinda the poster boy for “meh, okay” level QBs.
Then I think at this juncture Vince Young and RGIII are spot on

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
If it can only be a yes or no answer then:

No (idea at this point)
Probably the most accurate answer, blunt but most truth is that simple... while I am banking on ifs and buts feeling behind the proverbial wrappers they are candy and nuts saying yes lol

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was thinking early career seems similar to those guys, but then they both proceeded to just suck. I don’t see that happening to kyler. I think he is more likely to level off as a guy who plays just well enough that you can’t cut him but not well enough to lead the team anywhere special . . . hence the cousins fear.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I was thinking early career seems similar to those guys, but then they both proceeded to just suck. I don’t see that happening to kyler. I think he is more likely to level off as a guy who plays just well enough that you can’t cut him but not well enough to lead the team anywhere special . . . hence the cousins fear.
This eerily reminds me of the Jake Plummer scenario... no, not again!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The stars ali

The stars aligned for Burrowand their kicker had an unreal season. Mahomes and Lamar are outliers lol so everyone should be expected to be absolute studs now? That’s absurd not to mention both of those guys have legit SB winning NFL coaching behind them! You ignor the main point almost any team would take him because he is a legit talent that needs to grow more. We simply IMO don’t have a good coaching staff…

Not everyone, but I want our guy to be an absolute stud as quickly as possible. Josh Allen was second team All-Pro with 4500+ yards passing and 45 combined passing and rushing TDs in his third NFL season.

I mean, I disagree even with the point that "Almost any team would take him" [one assumes as their starting QB]. You could reasonably say that, at least for next season, these teams would rather keep their current starter than Kyler Murray:

Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Cincy Bengals
Green Bay Packers
Kansas City Chiefs
Los Angeles Chargers

Add in the Dallas Cowboys, L.A. Rams, Jacksonville Jaguars, and Seattle Seahawks — half of whom I'd guess would rather keep their current guy — and fully a quarter of the league would rather go with their dude.

Which really illustrates how far Kyler has fallen, because I think a lot of people here expected him to be a no-doubt Top 5 QB at this point.

I'm as big a Kyler skeptic as they come, but this is SAVAGE. Kyler is much more in the Kirk Cousins/Jay Cutler/Phil Rivers (a little casual Rivers slander for @DVontel ) vein then those two guys.

waterboy

Rookie
Reaction score
Again I’m not trying to compare him in terms of size or skillset, which both of those kind of do. I’m trying to figure out what level of QB he will be. Flutie was never fully given the reins so we don’t know. RGIII was a massively talented player who experienced success early and everyone thought was the next big thing but then flamed out (yes, injury was partly to blame but he never even caught even part of his early flame), so kyler could be in this class.
I think Kyler is in this class. Kingsbury has probably developed him to close to his potential. Certainly we see the limits of both Kyler and Kingsbury. As a matter of fact, I think that Kyler regressed this year because he couldn't keep the magic alive for a complete season, again. We were fortunate to have a good partial year but Kyler and Kingsbury peaked and there's nowhere for the two of them to go but down as long as they are both together. Run Kingsbury off and give Kyler some time with a good HC and a good head doctor.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

PUH LEASE

I know your a UT fan but c'mon! :)

Vince Young never threw for more than 12 td's, averaged under 2k passing yards per year, and was in the 50's for accuracy.

RG3 and K1 had a comparable rookie year but that's where it stops.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
PUH LEASE

I know your a UT fan but c'mon! :)

Vince Young never threw for more than 12 td's, averaged under 2k passing yards per year, and was in the 50's for accuracy.

RG3 and K1 had a comparable rookie year but that's where it stops.
I am thinking more mindset right now for a QB which is athletic and constantly being concerned about redifining the position with the ability to run to avoid the mental aspects of the position though the frustrating part is that Kyler seems intelligent and simply does not put more time in film study prior... maybe the obvious at the moment is Michael Vick regarding the results, though Kyler throws a much better ball than any of these guys

cardjunkie

Veteran
Reaction score
Kyler Murray is such an incredible talent, and he's so smart, quick on his feet, and has an unbelievable combination of intelligence and raw physical talent. Maybe so much so that he's never had to actually work at it. Yes he takes hits, yes he works out a ton and he's incredibly dedicated to his craft. But he now has a reputation of being soft, not playing through injury, not leading his team when times get tough, he doesn't study enough film, and he lacks the pure fundamental intangible of resiliency.

If I was a teammmate, I'd question being out for 4 weeks with a sprained ankle. If I was a WR like AJ Green and Kyler was making faces at me during games and then isolates himself on the sidelines, I can't say I'd play harder for the guy.

At the same time, he's 24, and way more accomplished than 99.9999% of 24 year olds out there. I am a huge Kyler Murray fan and think the world of the guy. But he has to mature, be able to play through injuries, study film, and be a leader of men before he takes the next step.

Complain all you want about Keim, Kliff, Vance, etc. It all rides on Kyler. If he fails, they all will go. If he succeeds, it's prosperity for everyone. I think he will mature, but right now I look to Joe Burrow and Josh Allen as the epitome of how it's done for young leaders in the NFL. Kyler is more talented than both of them, I'd love to see him put it all together.
Damn dude, your thoughts are exactly my thoughts. Well put.

OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
I think what this thread tells me, we have no freaking clue with this guy though we can veer one way or the other, Kyler is unique with no real comp... hence the gamble when we took him

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

The stars ali

It is interesting that his inconsistency this season happened the moment we lost Hopkins for the season and AJ Green showed signs of being washed.

Burrow is better today, but Jamar Chase and Tee Higgins would have me feeling calm too. Maybe if Kyler tells us he studies film (24/7) and shows zero emotion the defense will force 5 interceptions in two weeks.

I just think as a young guy he's not good enough to overcome those things. Some guys are. Maybe he's just not. Especially with his flaws in a collapsed pocket.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jetstream Green

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
It is interesting that his inconsistency this season happened the moment we lost Hopkins for the season and AJ Green showed signs of being washed.

Burrow is better today, but Jamar Chase and Tee Higgins would have me feeling calm too. Maybe if Kyler tells us we studies film (24/7) and shows zero emotion the defense will force 5 interceptions in two weeks.

I just think as a young guy he's not good enough to overcome those things. Some guys are. Maybe he's just not. Especially with his flaws in a collapsed pocket.
But he refuses to go into the pocket, he's getting sacked on the edge and never there... which maybe is him telling the front office our guards suck or the possibility what I believe Stout stated is that he's too short to go there and see when the play is beyond a quick strike, hence why does Kliff not roll him out more often

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard