Will Kyler Murray become a franchise QB...

Will Kyler Murray become a franchise QB

• Total voters

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Murray no doubt has talent and athleticism, what he lacks are skills.
A skill is the learned ability to perform an action with determined results with good execution often within a given amount of time, energy, or both. Skills can often be divided into domain-general and domain-specific skills. For example, in the domain of work, some general skills would include time management, teamwork and leadership, self-motivation and others, whereas domain-specific skills would be used only for a certain job.

Skill is the nuts and bolts of a job, the hows, whys, when, whereto, etc. Murray at this point often has shown little interest in this area preferring to rely on his natural talent and athleticism instead. Burrows and Allen on the other hand seem to have embraced skill learning as evidence of their performances.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I have no idea what kyler is going to become. His meltdown down the stretch has me questioning all my previous optimism.

I’m also struggling to come up with a comp in terms of level of QB. Not skill, talent, or similarity of play, mind you, but level. Like Brady comps with Montana. Rodgers comps with Peyton Manning and Brett Favre, John elway, and Kurt Warner. Cam Newton comps with Rivers, Palmer, mcnabb, and Matt Ryans. Does kyler fall into the cousins, Pennington class? Is he a Bledsoe, Mike Vick, mark brunell, Jim Everett class? Or is gonna be an RGIII, Vince young, Kerry Collins, leftwich, bulger? I have no idea. Sadly no idea.
Jay Cutler, unfortunately.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing about Kyler is he has all the talent and ability to be great, but I just don't see the commitment to putting the work in.

I see a lot of arrogance and an attitude of "I'm just so great naturally I can just show up and do my thing" which will never cut it.

It's frustrating because through the first 8 games I really thought he'd made the leap.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doug Flutie had a competitive drive kyler murray will never match.
Probably true today. Flutie was a beast. At one point he was the oldest person in the NFL to rush for 2 TD's in one game. I think Brady passed him on that one.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The most frustrating thing about Kyler is he has all the talent and ability to be great, but I just don't see the commitment to putting the work in.

I see a lot of arrogance and an attitude of "I'm just so great naturally I can just show up and do my thing" which will never cut it.

It's frustrating because through the first 8 games I really thought he'd made the leap.

I actually don't question his willingness to put in the work. As Russ and others have already noted, he's remade his body from what was essentially a two-sport athlete's body to a football player's body. He's gotten extremely solid in his base (maybe too much so).

You can see that he works on his fundamentals as a passer.

I just think he doesn't see the value in putting in extra work in the film room and doing study. Even the game-plan stuff — the "why" behind the what — hopefully he's asking those questions so that he can add value over time.

But we're not seeing the results of that kind of processing on the field.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give kyler a good oline good start with hudson add some good speed wrs physical to go with hop or help if he gets hurt again replace him kind of...

I believe not really with kliff but in a new real nfl system with better coachin murray can win big gm like mahomes or wilson or im prayin he will lol

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I actually don't question his willingness to put in the work. As Russ and others have already noted, he's remade his body from what was essentially a two-sport athlete's body to a football player's body. He's gotten extremely solid in his base (maybe too much so).

You can see that he works on his fundamentals as a passer.

I just think he doesn't see the value in putting in extra work in the film room and doing study. Even the game-plan stuff — the "why" behind the what — hopefully he's asking those questions so that he can add value over time.

But we're not seeing the results of that kind of processing on the field.
I think the issue is maturity. Fans sit there and make fun of Murray for pouting on the sideline, but that does show he cares. Cares. It's not the best way to show you care, but it does demonstrate that the game affects him.

If I'm the Cardinals, I'm bringing in everyone I can who will talk with Kyler Murray, and work with Kyler Murray. I think he needs to understand what it takes to prepare like a top professional quarterback.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the issue is maturity. Fans sit there and make fun of Murray for pouting on the sideline, but that does show he cares. Cares. It's not the best way to show you care, but it does demonstrate that the game affects him.

If I'm the Cardinals, I'm bringing in everyone I can who will talk with Kyler Murray, and work with Kyler Murray. I think he needs to understand what it takes to prepare like a top professional quarterback.
Josh Allen has improved each season in the pros. He has Jordan Palmer as his quarterback coach/mentor.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Real simple, yes or no. Vote what you think. If you do not want to vote, don't go typical ASFN and then make a noncommittal comment below without voting. The poll is asking a simple question and that would not have to be with the Cardinals, does not have to become a great QB, but obviously good with at least seven years of longevity to be considered a franchise QB
NO

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like the "doesnt watch film" stuff is just the easy go to answer when he's not playing as well.

Rams game part 2 wasnt about film at all. He just missed a throw he rarely missed, threw an int he never threw (at the time) and then his size cost him vs Donald.

Truth is their was a formula vs the Cardinals once Hopkins went out. Greg Cosell said that teams started playing man and started attacking the interior (guards).

Kyler needs better footwork/presence in a muddy pocket. He needs to train with Drees Brees and reach out to Russell Wilson on how to throw short passes in a crowded pocket. Or WATCH FILM OF THEM. Its why his default is to go intermediate to long. Especially once he loses trust in his interior.

I also think Kliff isnt doing him any favors with his lack of adjustments. I've seen other QBs struggle and still win games. Maybe its difficult to overcome a struggling Qb and a lack of #1 wr though. Still he needs to really figure out a run game when that happens. Every team seems to lean on one when things get tough except us.

Kliff and Kyler need watch film together of Russell Wilson/Seahawks. Under center/play action has got to be their backup plan when the regular offense isnt working/Kyler isnt seeing the field well enough.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I feel like the "doesnt watch film" stuff is just the easy go to answer when he's not playing as well.

Rams game part 2 wasnt about film at all. He just missed a throw he rarely missed, threw an int he never threw (at the time) and then his size cost him vs Donald.

Truth is their was a formula vs the Cardinals once Hopkins went out. Greg Cosell said that teams started playing man and started attacking the interior (guards).

Kyler needs better footwork/presence in a muddy pocket. He needs to train with Drees Brees and reach out to Russell Wilson on how to throw short passes in a crowded pocket. Or WATCH FILM OF THEM. Its why his default is to go intermediate to long. Especially once he loses trust in his interior.

I also think Kliff isnt doing him any favors with his lack of adjustments. I've seen other QBs struggle and still win games. Maybe its difficult to overcome a struggling Qb and a lack of #1 wr though. Still he needs to really figure out a run game when that happens. Every team seems to lean on one when things get tough except us.
For me the "doesn't watch film stuff" is related to his overall inconsistency and lack of adjustments pre-snap/post-snap. He does not show the awareness and understanding of how teams want to attack him which is something you glean from film study. His confusion with defensive adjustments as the game and season go on are things you overcome through extensive film study. Relying on your C to set protections highlights a lack of awareness and film study. Not audibling to or adjusting pre-snap and having a plan if the defense changes post-snap lend themselves to a lack of film study.

Basically, Kyler makes everything harder on himself because he tries to make adjustments and see things real time. The NFL is so fast that when he does this he is a beat slow and misses throws, makes open throws contested, or just passes up the option because it is now covered.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Any team that doesn’t already have a stud QB would take Kyler in a second don’t kid yourselves! He IS a franchise QB who needs to continue to grow and get better. Everyone is different and some take more time to get there like Rodgers for example. Today’s society is just so impatient it’s unbelievable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson