Will Kyler Murray become a franchise QB...

Will Kyler Murray become a franchise QB

• Total voters

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
After year 1. Improve his body/better use of his running ability
After year 2. Improve his intermediate passing and throwing on the run.
After year 3. Pocket presence/finding throwing lanes.

We'll see.
Sorry, if you're a #1 overall pick at QB and you have to find your pocket presence and get way better at finding throwing lanes going into year 4, you're a bust.

I'm not saying he'll be a bust, or that he is one yet, but he would be by the above rationale. This is why so many people are so down on him. After year 3, we have questions he will ever be able to find his pocket presence or adequately find throwing lanes inside. That is unfathomable for a guy who is supposed to be a franchise QB. It is so demoralizing as a fan to watch him regress in these skills.

Many QBs can look all world when everything is peaches and cream, with a perfect pocket, a great #1 receiver, and a strong running game. It's so rare you get that, though. A great QB, a "franchise" QB, has to be able to elevate his team. A merely good QB needs to be able to meet your "year 3" criteria.

All that said, I'm glad the above chart shows he's progressing as a passer. This doesn't take into consideration the bad sacks and lack of pocket awareness, but it is something, at least.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
To me he has a long way to go. We need to hire Peyton Manning to teach him how to be a QB. He has talent but it takes a lot more than that to become a franchise QB.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, if you're a #1 overall pick at QB and you have to find your pocket presence and get way better at finding throwing lanes going into year 4, you're a bust.

I'm not saying he'll be a bust, or that he is one yet, but he would be by the above rationale. This is why so many people are so down on him. After year 3, we have questions he will ever be able to find his pocket presence or adequately find throwing lanes inside. That is unfathomable for a guy who is supposed to be a franchise QB. It is so demoralizing as a fan to watch him regress in these skills.

Many QBs can look all world when everything is peaches and cream, with a perfect pocket, a great #1 receiver, and a strong running game. It's so rare you get that, though. A great QB, a "franchise" QB, has to be able to elevate his team. A merely good QB needs to be able to meet your "year 3" criteria.

All that said, I'm glad the above chart shows he's progressing as a passer. This doesn't take into consideration the bad sacks and lack of pocket awareness, but it is something, at least.
The Chargers drafted another QB after Drew Brees 1st 3 years. He now will have a bust in Canton.

Russell Wilson was allowed to be more of a game manager his 1st 3 years. Remember early Russell was a lot of incredible scrambles to make up lack of vision. After the defenses declined and the volume increased a lot of those sacks became Russell's fault. He had to learn and improve there.

People are just less patient now days.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been a Cardinals fan longer than most on this board Stout. My dad is from St. Louis and turned me on to the Cardinals when I was a little, little kid. 1976 are my earliest memories of the team. So okay, no problem. :)

I get that I'm defending Murray to a fault, but I would do the same for any Cardinal QB with the redbird on the side of his helmet. I did it for Plummer for a long time. I defended Kolb momentarily. McCown for a while, Leinart briefly, Warner after he had a bad day. Anybody that, for even a brief amount time I thought had the possibility of leading our team to victories, I would stick up for on this board.

And what bugs me the most is people making criticisms of a player who plays for my beloved cardinals and stating the criticisms as fact. For example you saying Murray was "scared". You don't know that Stout. You can't even say it with a high degree of probability. Or people saying that Murray doesn't read defenses well, as if it were gospel, when there's more statistical evidence to support that he does read defenses well. I don't get why people publicly rip a player, that plays for their team, for lacking some trait or ability when there really isn't a preponderance of evidence that their criticism is true. I'll never understand it. But whatever. As long as I'm allowed to offer dissenting opinions to your criticisms (and give you the business a little while I'm doing so, haha j/k), then it's cool. I'm wise enough to know that it takes all kinds, and that you're as big a fan of of the team as me.

I admit that I have some emotional investment in Murray because of his OU playing days, and because I lobbied for him pre-draft. However, I also defend him so adamantly because I really, honestly and truly believe that he can QB us to a Superbowl someday, if everybody else on the team does their job.

have you by 2 years started folllowing them in 74 same reason I guess, I was born in Missouri but grew up in Nor California. So when I discovered football I liked the uniforms, knew I was born there and instantly became a Terry Metcalf fan.

One of these days we're going to win a SB and I still think it's going to be with Kyler Murray at QB. But he has to improve

Stout

Reaction score
The Chargers drafted another QB after Drew Brees 1st 3 years. He now will have a bust in Canton.

Russell Wilson was allowed to be more of a game manager his 1st 3 years. Remember early Russell was a lot of incredible scrambles to make up lack of vision. After the defenses declined and the volume increased a lot of those sacks became Russell's fault. He had to learn and improve there.

People are just less patient now days.
Yes, let's compare the longer developmental arcs of QBs who debuted in 2012 and, laughably, 2001, in the 3rd round and 2nd round respectively, and not as the #1 overall pick. HUGE different in developmental pathways there. Besides QBs being far more successful far more quickly these days, and needing to be, neither of those QBs had anywhere near the expectations of a #1 overall pick. KM doesn't get 5-7 years to settle in and become what he's supposed to be. He doesn't get that long to, like, win a clinching/playoff game! Unlike those other 2 QBs, we have to figure out what he's going to be very, very soon, because it will mean the difference between a giant paycheck that will hamstring this team and maybe letting go of him, or at least trying to go a middle route. Fact: KM has not done enough to earn a mega deal. I'd like to think no one here is a homer enough to believe that. Fact: It's put up or shut up time for KM.

If we're arguing about the same things next offseason, IMO, he's definitely not the guy. If we're singing his praises next offseason, IMO, he's definitely the guy. The real fear for me for next offseason, IMO, is that he shows some progress but not considerable progress. That, IMO, will leave us on very dangerous ground.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Kyler Murray: We have made strides in three years, but we have to get better

So how do the Cardinals learn and grow from the end of 2021 to improve in 2022 in what seems a must-win season for Kliff Kingsbury?

“I wouldn’t get into too much detail but just get better,” Murray told Darren Urban of the team website on Saturday. “I think there are a lot of things we all need to address individually. Team-wise we understand kind of what happened, how we get there. We’ve got to do it together. Obviously everyone has to work hard individually. When we come together we’ve got to be ready to go, because it doesn’t get any easier.

“We made strides throughout the three years I’ve been here but we haven’t reached that ultimate goal.”

Murray, who has made his second Pro Bowl, is eligible for a contract extension this offseason. The Cardinals have until May to decide whether to exercise the fifth-year option on his contract if they don’t sign him to an extension before then.

How about saying I need to improve?

Stout

Reaction score

So how do the Cardinals learn and grow from the end of 2021 to improve in 2022 in what seems a must-win season for Kliff Kingsbury?

“I wouldn’t get into too much detail but just get better,” Murray told Darren Urban of the team website on Saturday. “I think there are a lot of things we all need to address individually. Team-wise we understand kind of what happened, how we get there. We’ve got to do it together. Obviously everyone has to work hard individually. When we come together we’ve got to be ready to go, because it doesn’t get any easier.

“We made strides throughout the three years I’ve been here but we haven’t reached that ultimate goal.”

Murray, who has made his second Pro Bowl, is eligible for a contract extension this offseason. The Cardinals have until May to decide whether to exercise the fifth-year option on his contract if they don’t sign him to an extension before then.

Complete milquetoast interview that says nothing. No use reading between the lines in this one. No glaringly stupid remarks about film or the like, which is good, but also no sign that he's had his "Come to Jesus" moment, which I suppose we can't expect to hear from him. Pretty much a fluff piece by urban, which also is no surprise.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

These type of general statements are usually indicative of we know we have to get better but we really don't have a clue on how to do it.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gotta admit that I absolutely loved the guy, his competitive fire, his amazing athletic skills, etc. That is, until the latter half of this season when he regressed horribly. Now, I have no idea—am fearful that he’s damaged goods.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'' Just get better'' sounds like a political campaign slogan. Ho hum

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler doing Kyler things at the PB pick six throwing to a guy completely covered lol

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kyler doing Kyler things at the PB pick six throwing to a guy completely covered lol

Nearly had one by DE a couple of of plays earlier.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Mike Evans rescued Kyler from another interception

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah it’s the pro bowl what a joke! You know trashing our franchise QB because of what is actually the best performance of ANY QB at the pro bowl is just absurd. Very QBS threw a pick because it’s a joke two hand touch football game, yet he still out performed an QB on either team? So what’s your point here besides hating on our QB for no reason? Seriously some of you guys are ridiculous!