Who likes Shipley for the 53 and Penny for 53/PS?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am really hoping we find a way to get Jaxon Shipley on the 53 this year. I know we are super deep at WR, but I was impressed with him last preseason to the point I hoped he made the team and it seems like every time he gets thrown his way he makes the most of the play. He just reminds me a lot of Wes Welker watching his play. Real scrappy and just looks like he plays with a lot of heart.

Penny impressed me with his play enough I'm rooting for him also. He just looked really good for a rookie, showing patience and picking the right lines and finding the holes. He seems like he can hold up running between the tackles and has the size. I love that we finally seem to have a good running game going and can ground and pound.

I'm sure AE is lock for #3 right now, and we've seen some nice speed and runs from his in preseason, but I'm not sold on AE really bringing a lot to the table and unless he does some magic on the field I don't think we'd resign him after this year. For flag ball, sure. But he can't hold up and you can see it in his play he just avoids contact every chance he has. I know every once in a blue moon he'll break for a good play but he'll also get stuffed behind the line or run out of bounds instead of getting that extra yardage more often.

I'm not saying promote Penny to #3, I'm just saying I like his size and from what I've seen more than I trust AE to perform and stay healthy. So if we want to look to future, especially with CJ on a one-year, it wouldn't hurt for us to see what this guy has because he could become at least our solid #2 next year if he plays well. The tough part is you got Steph and KW and as much I like those guys in the roles they've played I'm not sure they'll elevate much from what we've seen. I'd like to see Penny have a shot on the 53 or at the very least on the PS, but I'm not sure he will even clear waivers now which is why I like him more for the 53.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just not enough room... But I like. Both

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like both Penny & Shipley & I think both have a chance at the 53... Penny has a better chance depending on how bad Stephan Taylor is injured.

Penny is battling Kerwynn & Taylor for the 4th spot... Kerwynn is shiftier & quicker. Penny runs more powerfully. Taylor sucks as a RB, but is good in pass protection & plays special teams.

Shipley is battling Golden for the 6th spot. Golden has also had a good pre-season & plays special teams.

Shipley would make the PS because I don't think anyone else will claim him & put him on their 53 man roster (could be wrong though). Penny will be tougher to get on the PS after tonight's performance.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I want both but doubt they take Shipley over Golden. It wouldn't shock me if we hear a trade for AE to another team and keep Penny.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly want to see Penny on the 53 over Taylor. Penny looks like he can do everything Taylor can and more.

I don't care either way between Shipley and Golden.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Shipley is far more dynamic and productive than JJ Nelson, and Penny is probably a tougher guy to bring down than any back on the team except maybe DJ. They'll be snatched off of waivers in 5 minutes.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think Shipley is far more dynamic and productive than JJ Nelson, and Penny is probably a tougher guy to bring down than any back on the team except maybe DJ. They'll be snatched off of waivers in 5 minutes.

You know what, I agree with you that I would honestly like to have Shipley on the 53 then Nelson.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know what, I agree with you that I would honestly like to have Shipley on the 53 then Nelson.

Crazy talk - Nelson can outrun NFL defenses, Shipley is lucky to separate against starters. I like Shipley, but his comparison is Golden, not Nelson.

OP
OP
B

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I love JJ for those long speed routes but sometimes he feels like a one trick pony and is not a super consistent option. I like Jaron also but if you're talking about making room... he hasn't been putting up numbers John Brown numbers let alone JJ numbers. I know, he has a decent contract this year and limited spots, but I just want to see what Ship can do with regular season reps. Maybe its just something about the way he runs his routes and after the catch but he just looks like he can create plays and goes all out on every rep.

I'd like to see more of Penny in regular season also. He just looked good for a rook and not just because he was gaining yards but how we he was gaining them. If he was just gashing them running straight ahead through huge gaps I wouldn't have been as impressed, especially considering it was preseason 4. He just put off a style like he can play as a power back and shoot the gaps.

Talk about a good problem to have though. Two years ago we would have killed to have a back that could run between the tackles without getting mangled. Here we are talking about a guy that is showing signs of being a quality prototypical RB and it is a long shot for him to make the team.

If we had a larger sample size of him playing well I would gladly replace AE with him though. I hated when we were going small and trying to win with speed and trickery and couldn't run it up the middle, let alone even off the edge most times. Seeing an actual running game last year was so refreshing and this year it looks like we're going to go from a legitimate run game to perhaps a dominant one with the improvement at run blocking.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
THINK I would take Penny over Taylor.

Would take Shipley over Golden in a heartbeat. Said the same last year, too.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Elijah Penny isn't making the roster. Preseason week 4 makes y'all funny.

Its just not week 4 preseason. He has been great for his limited playing time in every preseason game. Every run has been for positive yards. He's a beast.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Elijah Penny isn't making the roster. Preseason makes y'all funny.
FTFY. The Cards roster has pretty much been set since about May. A fringe player here or there may overtake another fringe player but all this talk about performance in pre-season is, while entertaining, pretty useless.

C'mon Shipley over Nelson, Barkley over Stanton, it's not happening.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
"In for a Penny, in for a Pound"
As far as I'm concerned, Penny is the real deal, and would certainly bring more to the "53" than Kerwyn Williams. KW's skills are redundant to our other RB's, and while a willing blocker, he's a little too small to offer protection for CP. EP is not. However, the only way he makes the roster has to do with the health of Stephan Taylor. If ST is OK, EP will probably be cut, and POSSIBLY claimed off waivers, as we hold our breath. After watching other NFL games, broadcast by "homers", who ALL have guys that are not good enough to make to make their own team, but are sure to be picked up by another team. So maybe EP falls into that category. I'm hoping he's on our roster, but it looks doubtful.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Want to make a bet, there is a small chance penny would be picked up, there is almost zero chance Shipley will be

As far as Shipley being more dynamic, get real Nelson runs a 4.2. There are probably 15 equivalent receivers to Shipley about to get cut.

Reactions: jmt

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
THINK I would take Penny over Taylor.

Would take Shipley over Golden in a heartbeat. Said the same last year, too.
This.

Shipley has arguably been the best player of the preseason. It'll be mind boggling if he doesn't make the 53.

As for Penny, he, Taylor and Williams got time last night. The coaches seem to like Taylor, so maybe Penny was battling Williams for a spot.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
FTFY. The Cards roster has pretty much been set since about May. A fringe player here or there may overtake another fringe player but all this talk about performance in pre-season is, while entertaining, pretty useless.

C'mon Shipley over Nelson, Barkley over Stanton, it's not happening.

+1

Scooby-Doo

Reaction score
The only way Shipley makes the team is if they are willing to part with Golden. The problem with that scenario is that Golden is a solid ST's player. Shipley looks like a poor mans Julian Edelman. He is sneaky quick and runs great routs.

Penny is a mystery too me. He looks like a beast, but he is playing against bad competition. He may have a chance to make the 53. His scenario reminds me of William Powell a few years back. In the 4th preseason game he ran the ball 30+ times for over 100+ yards and was cut the next day.

Very interested to see how this shakes out.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Golden over shipley all day long. Maybe even hubert over shipley too. Shipley is not making our final 53.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way Shipley makes the team is if they are willing to part with Golden. The problem with that scenario is that Golden is a solid ST's player. Shipley looks like a poor mans Julian Edelman. He is sneaky quick and runs great routs.

Penny is a mystery too me. He looks like a beast, but he is playing against bad competition. He may have a chance to make the 53. His scenario reminds me of William Powell a few years back. In the 4th preseason game he ran the ball 30+ times for over 100+ yards and was cut the next day.

Very interested to see how this shakes out.

Golden is better IMO

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of these players would have made the Cardinals 3-4 years ago. However the Cardinals are so deep at RB and WR there just isn't room for these two guys. The best hope is that they can be snuck onto the practice squad.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn