Who do we draft now at #8?

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have to win in the trenches. Yup.

I wouldn't be disappointed in Simmons though. We can hopefully task him to the TE and finally plug that festering hole.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I’m taking the good OT over the elite ILB, especially with the longevity.

Knowing how short their shelf lives are, I just can’t get behind drafting a ILB so damn early, especially over OT.

You even preach about how Kyler saved a bunch of sacks cause of his elusiveness all the time. How a elite ILB gonna do that over a good OT?
It's hard for me to argue with you here, because we both support the same basic position. I really like both of the OTs.

Maybe the best way to frame it is how we've discussed Okudah. You and others feel that he's such a surefire elite prospect, that it doesn't matter what else we've invested. Simmons is in that range for me. On a defense that's so bad, a player who is, fine, I'll say it -- transcendent -- is alluring.

The spot where I debate between him and the tackles is who you/we/I/the team like the most. A legit OT could cut Kyler's pressure by 60% (arbitrary number). Could Simmons reduce receiver (WR/TE/RB) production by 60%? Maybe so. Maybe not. I like him as an elite player in this draft.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Obviously Kyler was the reason for some of the sacks.

However, it must be noted how dependent we are on his absurd quick release to avoid sacks as well.

Lets not have to depend on him making these kinda throws. Ignore the funny Dhop stuff, lol.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
If the Chargers and Dolphins don't sign Cam or Jameis...they are locked in at QB in round 1.

That would give us a top 5 player (non QB).

Top 3:
Chase Young
Jeff Okudah
Isaiah Simmons

Maybe Okudah or Simmons drop? There would need to be 1-2 OT's and/or 1 OT and Derek Brown taken for that to happen.
  • If they do drop...that means we are probably not getting the #1 OT. Could be #2 or #3 choice anyway
If they don't drop - we might get the #1 OT but it could also be the #2 OT

We would probably have to drop down to #15 or so to get a second round pick back (if we traded down).

I haven't focused on anybody in the draft outside of OT/DT/WR in the top 10. This could be fun!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Okudah availability gives us the best opportunity to trade down.

what turns some of us off about taking Okudah is that it doesn’t appear to fill a major need today. However, taking him really frees up cap space in 2021 if Pp21 walks or is traded.

that being said I think somebody would be happy to move up for him. It would be hard to pass on him but moving down and taking a guy like Chaisson or Kenny Murray along with getting an additional 2nd or 3rd might be the prudent thing to do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Okudah availability gives us the best opportunity to trade down.

what turns some of us off about taking Okudah is that it doesn’t appear to fill a major need today. However, taking him really frees up cap space in 2021 if Pp21 walks or is traded.

that being said I think somebody would be happy to move up for him. It would be hard to pass on him but moving down and taking a guy like Chaisson or Kenny Murray along with getting an additional 2nd or 3rd might be the prudent thing to do.

P2 might be cooked. Partially at least. Even if not he's a major upgrade on the other side.

I'd take Okudah all day, every day if he's there and I'm a fan of drafting a tackle.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My choices would be :

LB Isaiah Simmons
DT Derrick Brown
CB Jeff Okudah
OT the highest rated on their Board

I have read this post and have tried to like it multiple times, lol.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't seen a mock where Okudah wasn't taken EARLY early. I've seen both Simmons and D Brown slide due to teams coming up for QB's and whatnot.

To me, there are 5 blue chippers. D Brown and Joe Burrow are among those other 3 guys. There is not an OT that grades out this year like those 5. I have no idea what the Cards big board looks like, but value-wise it would appear that D Bown or Simmons should be in the conversation, and having picked up a DT in FA, I would go Simmons. If Brown and Simmons are gone, I go OT.....likely Wills.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
1. I don’t believe in drafting a ILB in the top 8. Almost the RBs of defense. Shortest shelf life & you combine that with taking them longer to reach their peak compared to other positions on defense & just.....no thanks.
I have seen this sentiment a few times regarding this draft and I wonder why you think this, but think a RT is worthy of going top 8? I just found a link for an NFL.com article that ranks the most important positions on a football team to the least important. Interestingly enough both the MLB and WILL were ranked ahead of the RT. I am not citing this as gospel by any means, but I do find it interesting.

Also we actually look like we are doing pretty well at the top end of that list, especially with the addition of Hopkins.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tions-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No, we didn't. We drafted Murphy to be a slot CB. We need a big fast LB/S to cover TE's. By the way, Reddick is useless.

Big fast linebackers who can cover are rare as unicorn crap. The vast majority of teams cover receiving TEs with slot CBs.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Importance rankings of positions are overstated. We can't force the #8 pick. Just get the highest rated player! Beside QB and WR you could make a case we need help everywhere. We must get the top 8 on our board right. Fortunately this draft is top-heavy and we can't really go wrong. Okudah, Simmons, Brown or the big 4 OTs are legit blue chip prospects. That's why I'm cautious about trading down. In the teens we can't nab a true blue chip player.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Is it crazy or do the top picks seems more concrete now?

I think Miami or the Chargers may trade ahead of each other to get the QB they want but the other picks stay the same.

Cincy - Burrows
Wash - Young
Detroit - Okudah
NYG - OT
Miami - QB
Chargers - QB
Carolina - ?

Carolina is the one I can't figure out right now.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't worry, there are enough good players, imo, that will be available when we pick that the SK haters will have a "field day". (Heads will explode).

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wouldn't the Panthers draft Simmons to replace Keuchly? I don't see him coming to us. Becton would be pretty exciting, guy is a mountain.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Wouldn't the Panthers draft Simmons to replace Keuchly? I don't see him coming to us. Becton would be pretty exciting, guy is a mountain.
A lot has changed there with the new regime.

Does Rhule go the Rivera route? Or does he go O'Line, or QB? Teddy is only locked up for 3 years so I'm inclined to think that they may go somewhere other than ILB.

They are truly a wild card IMO. But Rhule's offense relies on the RPO. So I would think Herbert may be a fit for them if he is there. But so is Cam and they still went with the immobile Teddy BridgeH2O..... so what do I know. hahaha