Who do we draft now at #8?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
RT is still a huge issue, along with C. I'm not sure why we keep arguing this, Okudah probably won't even be there with the Lions moving Slay.

No he wont be. He probably never was going to be at 8. He is the best cover guy to come out since at least Ramsey, and maybe Peterson.

We were ok with Justin Murray and Shipley can be resigned for peanuts.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d love to see the Cards trade down and take an OT and assume they pick up a 2nd.

Round 2 a center guard like Badiasz( sp?).

If we don’t trade down to get back into the second round then we will have to wait and see what happens with Drake.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No he wont be. He probably never was going to be at 8. He is the best cover guy to come out since at least Ramsey, and maybe Peterson.

We were ok with Justin Murray and Shipley can be resigned for peanuts.
We shouldn't be okay with Murray. We need more OL talent. We shouldn't be okay with Shipley either.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We shouldn't be okay with Murray. We need more OL talent. We shouldn't be okay with Shipley either.

I dont disagree, but Murray is an OK NFL player. I was shocked at how not terrible he was....part of that is that we've seen far worse than Murray.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Imagine our run defense and interior pass rush with a defensive line of Jordan Phillips, Corey Peters, and Derrick Brown. That is 1000 lbs of run stuffing, free up linebackers, and interior pass rush that matches up with the best 3-4 defensive lines in all football. We become an intimidating defense along the lines of Baltimore.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Imagine our run defense and interior pass rush with a defensive line of Jordan Phillips, Corey Peters, and Derrick Brown. That is 1000 lbs of run stuffing, free up linebackers, and interior pass rush that matches up with the best 3-4 defensive lines in all football. We become an intimidating defense along the lines of Baltimore.

I remember a Raven Dline said their job was to take up 1-2 Oline to free up the Line Backers. I would not be mad at a line like that. Go Cards!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I dont disagree, but Murray is an OK NFL player. I was shocked at how not terrible he was....part of that is that we've seen far worse than Murray.
Yeah, I'm really more concerned with the Up the Gut penetration this OL allows much too often.

With the way K2 wants to get the ball out, they may be comfortable with the starters. I hope that's not the case but they may feel like there's talent they can draft and develop a bit later (in this draft). We do need that high ceiling T though. If Brown is gone then trade back and get back into the 2nd if you can and take one.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I might be okay with Murray because the dude deserves credit and a player with the light coming on regardless of when or not he was drafted, Shipley I agree because though he has the smarts he does not have the strength... but again there is a reason the Cardinals keep coming back to him which might be beyond me

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
At this point almost any player worthy of 8 will be a good pick. No need to reach or take a player based on gaping holes on the roster. Oline is the most obvious based on potential players available and the status of players on our roster(Pugh could be a roster cut next year and sweezy is a free agent after this year, no sure center option and Murray is a free agent after this year) so long term oline makes the most sense when it comes to building this team short and long term.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Deciding on what direction to go with the #8 pick has been a challenge. I see valid arguments for several players/positions or even trade down a couple of spots and try to recoup second round pick. This flexibility is a great problem to have.

Reaction score
I prefer Simmons, Brown, or Wirfs. For some reason I had a vision of Keim announcing our pick & stating the Arizona Cardinals select Cee Dee Lamb wr from Oklahoma.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This comes down to how Kugler thinks he can get his job done... though I doubt he would pout if we drafted Wirfs or Wills :)
Guess we'll rehash this argument. Whether or not we draft an OT at #8 is not up to Kugler. Keim picking a player they grade above those OTs doesn't mean Kugler gave signoff. He's not in charge of evaluating Simmons, Okudah, Brown, etc.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Guess we'll rehash this argument. Whether or not we draft an OT at #8 is not up to Kugler. Keim picking a player they grade above those OTs doesn't mean Kugler gave signoff. He's not in charge of evaluating Simmons, Okudah, Brown, etc.
They'll talk to Kugler as a gauge and then it's up to them. 'We' are not rehashing anything... hence why I used him in a outside stance of not pouting if they drafted one of the OTs

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

First of all you our completely wrong about this. If you don't think coaches get involved in the draft process then you know little to nothing about football. If a team has an outstanding assistant coach who can take a street FA during the season and coach him up to a passable player then that coach has earned power and respect in the organization.

I guess we will have to give you the examples again:

WR coach got up on the table and demanded we draft Q.
DL coach went and worked out Gunter and we trade up to draft him.
Adub works out a Safety and we draft him.

That's part of how the draft process works. Of course Keim makes the final decision but don't think for a second he doesn't listen to the rest of his team about what the team needs and which players would be best.

Jetstreams innocent comment about Kuglar not being upset with picking an OT was simply that and you try to start yet another useless argument.

I agree we should draft an OT and Interior Olineman this draft and the earlier the better.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
First of all you our completely wrong about this. If you don't think coaches get involved in the draft process then you know little to nothing about football. If a team has an outstanding assistant coach who can take a street FA during the season and coach him up to a passable player then that coach has earned power and respect in the organization.

That's part of how the draft process works. Of course Keim makes the final decision but don't think for a second he doesn't listen to the rest of his team about what the team needs and which players would be best.

Jetstreams innocent comment about Kuglar not being upset with picking an OT was simply that and you try to start yet another useless argument.

I agree we should draft an OT and Interior Olineman this draft and the earlier the better.
But Kugler could stand on the table for an OL all day, and we'll agree he'd be overruled if the rest of the scouting staff and coaches liked Simmons or Okudah, right?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Kugler could stand on the table for an OL all day, and we'll agree he'd be overruled if the rest of the scouting staff and coaches liked Simmons or Okudah, right?
I think coaches are asked to do evaluations and that’s it. They don’t have any influence of who we drsft not do I think they are asked there opinion of who to draft.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think coaches are asked to do evaluations and that’s it. They don’t have any influence of who we drsft not do I think they are asked there opinion of who to draft.
Even I'd feel they have a little bit more influence than that, I just don't see a situation where Kugler comes in and says "hey guys, I think our talent is subpar, I'm not going to be able to do my job unless you take an OT here."

As a coach you always want more help, but you roll up your sleeves and get to work with what you've got. Can't draft for need, either. I think Kugler could say "guys, we have a real talent problem," and the guys making the decision at the top are going to say "sorry, this player grades out as a perennial All-Pro, the tackles don't, deal with it."

There's no way in hell that Kugler is walking into the draft process going "yeah guys, this offensive line is perfect, take whoever you want."

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

You are just being an ass at this point. I did say the Keim has the final say. I'm done with your trolling.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You are just being an ass at this point. I did say the Keim has the final say. I'm done with your trolling.
I'm not trolling. Come on.

I'll shut up after this, but pretending like Kugler likes the line and thinks it's really good or something because we didn't take an OT isn't how draft rooms work. There's a big room full of multiple coaches jockeying for their guy or position group.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard