Who do we draft now at #8?

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
If Okudah or Simmons are there... you take them no question. Other than that...a trade down to 11-13 area would still provide great value with the top OL prospect available, while also acquiring an additional 2nd/3rd round pick in a very deep draft.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What have we had...2 1st round picks in the last 15 years that signed second long term contracts with us?

It all comes down to taking the player that will make the biggest impact.

Give me 7 time pro bowler Luke Kuechly playing for 8 years with us vs drafting a mediocre player that will sign somewhere else in 4-5 years (or we sign to top 5 money for 1 full season played out of 5).

I am not advocating for one specific player or the other...just saying.
Well said. Any player that goes on to be great somewhere else is still a failed pick for the Cardinals. Do we brag about Thomas Jones?

I'll be happy with a solid chunk of players at the moment, though. Wirfs seems to have it all, and could have more of an impact helping Kyler from having to worry about pressure.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm still mostly team OT with you, but I can understand the argument of Simmons being a true defensive differencemaker when we might be drafting the 2nd-3rd OT.

Simmons is pretty special, and hard to overlook. I get your perspective too.
The thing is, I would still take the 2nd best OT because I think the best OT(Willis) is a better overall prospect than Simmons while I think Wirfs is equal to Simmons.

Would you rather take a consistently good OT for 9+ years or a ILB for 7?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The thing is, I would still take the 2nd best OT because I think the best OT(Willis) is a better overall prospect than Simmons while I think Wirfs is equal to Simmons.

Would you rather take a consistently good OT for 9+ years or a ILB for 7?
It depends. Is that OT consistently good for 9+ years, and the ILB is elite for the better part of his 7? I'm taking the ILB.

If Wills or Wirfs are going to reach the stratosphere like I suspect Simmons will, of course I would pick the guys with more longevity. If they're just going to be alright, then Simmons it is. Again though, I'm sitting here with you, very strongly interested in going OT.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't think ARZ stays at #8 now because Keim is going to look get get back a pick he just gave up. I think it ends up being one of Wirfs, Thomas or Becton if we stay at 8 or drop no lower than 12. ARZ met with all 3 at Combine / SR Bowl. I would be good with any of the three but I think Wirfs is first OT taken after Combine and may not last to #8. I do not want Brown or Kinlaw. I think it has to be an OT as I don't see another value player at #8 other than Jeudy or Lamb. I don't think Okudah, Young or Simmons are there at #8.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think ARZ stays at #8 now because Keim is going to look get get back a pick he just gave up. I think it ends up being one of Wirfs, Thomas or Becton if we stay at 8 or drop no lower than 12. ARZ met with all 3 at Combine / SR Bowl. I would be good with any of the three but I think Wirfs is first OT taken after Combine and may not last to #8. I do not want Brown or Kinlaw. I think it has to be an OT as I don't see another value player at #8 other than Jeudy or Lamb. I don't think Okudah, Young or Simmons are there at #8.
Do you not like Willis or do you think he’ll be gone by our pick?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It depends. Is that OT consistently good for 9+ years, and the ILB is elite for the better part of his 7? I'm taking the ILB.

If Wills or Wirfs are going to reach the stratosphere like I suspect Simmons will, of course I would pick the guys with more longevity. If they're just going to be alright, then Simmons it is. Again though, I'm sitting here with you, very strongly interested in going OT.
I’m taking the good OT over the elite ILB, especially with the longevity.

Knowing how short their shelf lives are, I just can’t get behind drafting a ILB so damn early, especially over OT.

You even preach about how Kyler saved a bunch of sacks cause of his elusiveness all the time. How a elite ILB gonna do that over a good OT?

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like the other 3 because they could play LT so they provide more value. Of course, any OT we take would start off at RT but if Humphries goes down we need a safety net. If Wills could play LT then I'd like him more.

Although he hasn’t played LT, I think that had more to do with Tua being left handed and having Wills protect his blind side. Obviously that is just a theory, but doesn’t seem to have any limitations that would suggest he couldn’t play on the left side

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Simmons if he is there, because you just can't match his skill set in free agency. All the young, fast ILB that can cover TE's are not going to become available. I also think about what our defense was able to do when we had a dangerous blitzer up the middle with DWash.

Okudah is 2nd "can't pass" because he has the tools to be an elite CB, and we might very well have a need next season if Pat P leaves. Its a big money position that is not impossible to fill...but it would be pretty awesome to have a CB#1 on a rookie deal for 5 years. It might even allow us to resign PP21 if he's willing and transition him to a potentially elite FS in his 30's.

Wills and Brown are then next for me. I would be ok with either one.

After that it's a trade down to acquire more picks, and then I'm ok with pretty much anyone.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that a majority of this board wanted to take a OT during the season only to switch up & take a position where it offers the least impact with the smallest shelf life on defense is absolutely hilarious.

Hilarious.

Hilarious that you cannot see that Simmons has the skill set that no ILB has had in this generation.

Hilarious.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Something to note, the draft is about the future... do not rule out Lamb or Jeudy, and in the long run it might be a great pick to then pair with Hopkins and we should not get upset if the Cards still draft WR, ala Fitz and Boldin for our QB excelling in a quick passing offense

Skipper1111

Rookie
Reaction score
I would draft a linebacker that can cover the pass well in the first round or an Olineman. Maybe trade down #8 pick for another pick because we still have holes to fill, linebackers that can cover tight ends, a cb to replace pp, Dline and a couple Oliners..imo

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would draft a linebacker that can cover the pass well in the first round or an Olineman. Maybe trade down #8 pick for another pick because we still have holes to fill, linebackers that can cover tight ends, a cb to replace pp, Dline and a couple Oliners..imo

How many more games could we have won if we were just 50% better at covering tight ends

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Something to note, the draft is about the future... do not rule out Lamb or Jeudy, and in the long run it might be a great pick to then pair with Hopkins and we should not get upset if the Cards still draft WR, ala Fitz and Boldin for our QB excelling in a quick passing offense

Why wouldn’t protecting Kyler be considering the future? :shrug:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Why wouldn’t protecting Kyler be considering the future? :shrug:
I did not say the OL is not part of the future, I would like us to draft Wirfs, but what I am stating is that drafting a WR is also part of that perspective and not to rule it out either