Who do we draft now at #8?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We do little for our D in free agency and wait till the third round to address in the draft, the rest doesn't matter.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve heard that about so many “blue chip” OTs over the last decade
Of all the tackles on the board I think he is the least likely to be a bust. Now Wirfs, is the least coached up of all them and has some major deficiencies in technique. He is the high upside but also risky pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of all the tackles on the board I think he is the least likely to be a bust. Now Wirfs, is the least coached up of all them and has some major deficiencies in technique. He is the high upside but also risky pick.

Least coached up? He's started since Freshman year and Iowa have a reputation for having some of the most NFL ready O linemen.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1 Simmons
2 Brown

I don’t think either will be there at 8, but those are my first two. Simmons is a talent at LB that hasn’t come around in years. 6’4 240lbs he’s huge and as athletic a player the position has ever seen.

you drop Brown right next to Phillips and they could wreak havoc on an offensive line with Jones and hopefully Golden coming off the edge.

3 Wills/Wirfs

I’m good with either guy honestly. I think both are studs

any of those 4 and I’m over the moon happy.

if we trade down. I don’t think I want to go any lower than say 15

Andrew Thomas, AJ Epenesa, Kenneth Murray and Kinlaw are all guys I would be happy with

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This tough because a good OL is a necessity in this league but when I go back and see the game day threads and how many times the word "garbage" was used to describe our D I'm torn. If we can get a few solid Def FA signings then I'd feel better about an OL or even WR (that would be a scary WR core)

I get that people want a long term OT - but Justin Murray is fine as a starter, we can get by with him for another year or two.

If Simmons or Okudah is on the board I would take them at 8, otherwise I would trade down.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my order of priority:

1. Young
2. Okudah
3. Simmons
4. Wills
5. Wirfs
6. Brown
7. Kinlaw
8. Becton
9. Thomas

with 2 QBs likely to go, you end up with a choice at #8, including a trade down if someone like the Jets or Raiders really want the top WR

the beauty of this, is that with #8 -- a position area that at this time last year was considered a weakness will become a strength

OL? Wills / DJ as anchor tackles with solid interior guys
DL?: Phillips / Peters / Kinlaw with Zach Allen as depth
DBs: P2 / Okudah / Murphy with Alford as depth
LBs: Reddick / Simmons / Hicks / CJ

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
This certainly is looking more like a trade down unless there’s a surprise in FA. The Cards still have a huge number of holes and now no second rounder. The 4th is in a good spot at 111, but not likely an immediate starter. When you have several holes, you also have flexibility. They could go down further than we’ve discussed. Guys like Thomas and Kinlaw are now projected into the teens. Maybe even a guy like Murray is being considered. If they stay put you have to presume Lamb’s out. Everything I’m hearing indicates Simmons and Okudah will be gone. So it really looks like they’d be choosing between an OT & a DT. This choice in large part depends on how much stress you place on the Combine. Certainly the OTs outperformed the top DT, Brown. That would means Wirfs, Becton or Wills. I’ve already indicated Wills would not be my choice. Since Humphries is limited to LT, that would mean who would be the best RT. That would be Wirfs, IMO.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This certainly is looking more like a trade down unless there’s a surprise in FA. The Cards still have a huge number of holes and now no second rounder. The 4th is in a good spot at 111, but not likely an immediate starter. When you have several holes, you also have flexibility. They could go down further than we’ve discussed. Guys like Thomas and Kinlaw are now projected into the teens. Maybe even a guy like Murray is being considered. If they stay put you have to presume Lamb’s out. Everything I’m hearing indicates Simmons and Okudah will be gone. So it really looks like they’d be choosing between an OT & a DT. This choice in large part depends on how much stress you place on the Combine. Certainly the OTs outperformed the top DT, Brown. That would means Wirfs, Becton or Wills. I’ve already indicated Wills would not be my choice. Since Humphries is limited to LT, that would mean who would be the best RT. That would be Wirfs, IMO.
I dont see Wirfs making it to 8.

Hard to see him get past the Chargers.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I dont see Wirfs making it to 8.

Hard to see him get past the Chargers.
Although they do need to fortify their OLine...... I would still expect them to take Herbert or Love here. Both are the perfect 2-year project IMO.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
my thinking is that a good OL "travels"

all three teams in the division rely on rushing 4 and playing coverage behind it --

the 49ers and Seahawks move their best edges guys around: Bosa and Clowney come from either side.

and, if the team has tackles that can handle the Rams edge guys 1 vs 1, it makes it easier to double Donald

and finally -- if the five upfront can pass protect, it just means more 4 and 5 man routes -- further stressing teams that want to drop and cover

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

couldn’t agree more

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We have 2 - 4th rounders.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wirfs, Wills, Simmons, Brown, still don't want Okudah with our current roster situation, but he's a dark horse if everything pans out through the free agent process.

I don't see any way we go for a WR, and honestly, I'd be pissed.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get that people want a long term OT - but Justin Murray is fine as a starter, we can get by with him for another year or two.

If Simmons or Okudah is on the board I would take them at 8, otherwise I would trade down.

If Simmons or Okudah are there sure, but it's not likely.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA