Who do we draft now at #8?

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I change my mind on this more then my wife at Bed, Bath and Beyond
Ok if Simmons isn't there then the best OT on thier board is fine with me. I say this because I took advantage of that NFL game pass free until May promotion and watched some games from last year, it reminded me of how bad TEs torched us, it was so embarrassing how bad the D was
I'll probably change my mind again next week lol

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What defense is Carolina running this year?

I read its going back to 4-3 (3-4 last year).

Where do they play Brian Burns?

Where would Simmons play?

Their run D was awful last year...I think they gave up 31 TD's.

It seems like LB or DT.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have seen this sentiment a few times regarding this draft and I wonder why you think this, but think a RT is worthy of going top 8? I just found a link for an NFL.com article that ranks the most important positions on a football team to the least important. Interestingly enough both the MLB and WILL were ranked ahead of the RT. I am not citing this as gospel by any means, but I do find it interesting.

Also we actually look like we are doing pretty well at the top end of that list, especially with the addition of Hopkins.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...tions-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner
Good pass rushers line up on both sides nowadays. A RT is nearly as important as a LT nowadays for that reason alone.

The longevity of a ILB is shorter than a OT. They are pretty much the RBs of defense.

It’s also a domino effect. That extra 2-3 seconds in the pocket goes a long way in helping Kyler. It would also give the running game a big boost.

Think of this. If we get a good OLine, imagine the playcalls Kliff could do that he couldn’t do last season.

Folks say fire Vance Joseph if he doesn’t utilize Simmons to his potential. What happens if the next DC struggles on using him? I trust Kugler way more in pushing Wills or Wirfs to become elite.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much as I like Simmons Im not sure he's worth #8.

He's a safety and you don't draft a safety at #8. Derwin James is one of the best of recent times and went #17.

As a linebacker he's played 73 snaps. If you a drafting him for LB #8 is a huge stretch.

He's a physical freak for sure but I think either way it's a risk. He probably will go top 10 but I'd rather someone else take that chance.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not sure where your 73 snaps at LB came from...he played more snaps (380) at LB than any other position.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I’m pretty sure he meant ILB.

Regardless, 120 is still not a lot.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If you told me that you thought Simmons was Sean Taylor and we should draft him and use him like Taylor...i can get behind that. That said, i dont think Vance would, and being an ILB sets him up for failure.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It's hard for me to argue with you here, because we both support the same basic position. I really like both of the OTs.

Maybe the best way to frame it is how we've discussed Okudah. You and others feel that he's such a surefire elite prospect, that it doesn't matter what else we've invested. Simmons is in that range for me. On a defense that's so bad, a player who is, fine, I'll say it -- transcendent -- is alluring.

The spot where I debate between him and the tackles is who you/we/I/the team like the most. A legit OT could cut Kyler's pressure by 60% (arbitrary number). Could Simmons reduce receiver (WR/TE/RB) production by 60%? Maybe so. Maybe not. I like him as an elite player in this draft.

An ILB is never worth more than a top cover guy. Never.

I know you are talking to @DVontel, but I'll throw my two cents: OL have an impact on almost every offensive play. And with the commitment the Cardinals have made to K1, protecting him and giving him weapons should be top priority.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Is it crazy or do the top picks seems more concrete now?

I think Miami or the Chargers may trade ahead of each other to get the QB they want but the other picks stay the same.

Cincy - Burrows
Wash - Young
Detroit - Okudah
NYG - OT
Miami - QB
Chargers - QB
Carolina - ?

Carolina is the one I can't figure out right now.

Carolina desperately needs OL help.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
If you told me that you thought Simmons was Sean Taylor and we should draft him and use him like Taylor...i can get behind that. That said, i dont think Vance would, and being an ILB sets him up for failure.

Half of what made Sean taylor so great is obsolete in the game today.

Simmons is the KYLER MURRAY of defensive football. A complete unicorn. A coverage and pass rush nightmare unlike anyone in the modern draft era.

He's at roughly the same height and weight of Bobby Wagner & Luke Kuechly when they came out but has the movement skills and speed of a top flight cornerback.

He literally tests as a Julio Jones / Calvin Johnson level Athlete.

You don't let guys like that drop past you and still keep your job in the NFL unless you are Bill O'Brien.

PS. I don't believe anything I just said is hyperbole.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Simmons is the KYLER MURRAY of defensive football. A complete unicorn. A coverage and pass rush nightmare unlike anyone in the modern draft era.

I read something like 60% of snaps now for Ds are in nickel coverage

its why an ILB of his skills are more valuable today than ever

as much as I want a RT to plug in for 10 years, I don't hesitate if Simmons is there

Cards fans can only hope enough teams ahead of them in the draft hang on to some obsolete notion

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As much as I like Simmons Im not sure he's worth #8.

He's a safety and you don't draft a safety at #8. Derwin James is one of the best of recent times and went #17.

As a linebacker he's played 73 snaps. If you a drafting him for LB #8 is a huge stretch.

He's a physical freak for sure but I think either way it's a risk. He probably will go top 10 but I'd rather someone else take that chance.

Stop it!

He's not projected as a Safety going forward.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bucky Brooks just updated his top 5 for each position. Obviously Jeff Okudah is the top Corner. What is most fascinating about Okudah is the comparison to Stephon Gilmore. Sign me up for Okudah if he is a Gilmore clone!!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm fine with a bigger, faster - Dwash - (without the dope, hopefully.)

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
General thoughts:

Okudah is no doubt going to Detroit, now.

The Panthers' D was weak last year, and then they lost Kuechly. They'll have to take Brown or Simmons.

It all really depends on what the Giants do. They could go OT or take Simmons.

Some prognosticators have Jordan Love going ahead of us. That would be absurd, but people do dumb things in the top ten if they need quarterbacks.

It has been questioned also whether taking an RT at #8 is worth the value. It is, if they are dominant. There really isn't a high enough value that you can put on having a dominant O Line. With our skill position players, the line will make or break us.

I wouldn't mind taking Simmons, and hope they invent a new role for him. He is as big as, and faster than, the leagues TE's. Stick to them and shut them down. Take Kelce and Kittle and Ertz out of our opponents' game plans, and our D will feast.

I think Derrick Brown is a tremendous player, and probably will be Aaron Donald light, but his skill set to me seems the most replaceable. I wouldn't mind having him, he's a serious gamer, but everyone else would need to be gone, like only Burrow and Tua gone of the quarterbacks.

What if it went Burrow, Young, Okudah, Wirfs, Tua, Simmons, Wills? Then you take Brown and count your blessings.

So, give me Simmons, Wirfs, or Wills and I'll be quite okay.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/college-fo...-potential-replacement-for-tom-brady-at-no-23

so this is a couple days old at this point, but

this has Simmons going at #7, with the steps to get there pretty plausible

so: with brand new FO in Carolina, would Matt Rhule taking Lamb or Jeudy really shock anyone? How about a defensive lineman? Corner? all three are arguable greater needs for Carolina than a guy who plays a similar game to Shaq Thompson.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
An ILB is never worth more than a top cover guy. Never.

I know you are talking to @DVontel, but I'll throw my two cents: OL have an impact on almost every offensive play. And with the commitment the Cardinals have made to K1, protecting him and giving him weapons should be top priority.
Well, we're not even taking about the option between Okudah and Simmons. You could just as easily make this argument Okudah vs. Wirfs/Wills/etc. and I'd still say the same thing, where going RT has to be in play. This team is still too full of holes for me to pick a #3 CB.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
https://www.pff.com/news/college-fo...-potential-replacement-for-tom-brady-at-no-23

so this is a couple days old at this point, but

this has Simmons going at #7, with the steps to get there pretty plausible

so: with brand new FO in Carolina, would Matt Rhule taking Lamb or Jeudy really shock anyone? How about a defensive lineman? Corner? all three are arguable greater needs for Carolina than a guy who plays a similar game to Shaq Thompson.
With all due respect to Shaq Thompson, Simmons is next level. I followed Shaq closely because I liked him as a dual RB/LB threat and we picked DJ Humphries one pick ahead of him. Surprisingly Shaq is just average or below in Coverage/space, but has shown nice instincts in the run game and is a solid tackler. Concerns about him where against the run/tackling, while athleticism/coverage seemed to be his plus traits. Just another example of the inaccurate science that the draft is...

I would be surprised if Simmons makes it to the Panthers, let alone if they pass on him.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we're not even taking about the option between Okudah and Simmons. You could just as easily make this argument Okudah vs. Wirfs/Wills/etc. and I'd still say the same thing, where going RT has to be in play. This team is still too full of holes for me to pick a #3 CB.
Difference is that Okudah plays a way more impactful position than Simmons, which is why I wouldn’t mind Okudah over a RT. It’s moot though since he won’t fall to us.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
3/19 Source: Athletic

That leaves three possibilities, assuming Clemson linebacker Isaiah Simmons doesn’t fall to No. 8 (Dane Brugler’s latest mock draft for The Athletic has Simmons as the No. 3 pick).

• Arizona could take the best tackle available, whether it’s Louisville’s Mekhi Becton or Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs, plug him in at right tackle and make Justin Murray, whom the club just gave an exclusive rights tender, as the swing tackle.
  • Auburn defensive tackle Derrick Brown falls to No. 8, and the Cardinals take about two seconds turning in their card.
  • Brown is gone by No. 8 — there’s a belief around the league that he’s going to Carolina at No. 7 — and the Cardinals trade down. By acquiring Hopkins, Phillips and Kennard, Arizona has plugged holes at positions it might have looked to fill with its first-round pick. Plus, the Cardinals gave up their second-round pick in the Hopkins-Johnson deal and have only six picks overall.
All three are intriguing options. As NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner put it, the Cardinals now have “versatility” when it comes to the draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Your full of holes schtick is OBE (overcome by events).

They have solid to good starters at almost every position right now. Maybe add another DL.

We told you the Cardinals could do this. They could sign a good DL of they restructure someone.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Your full of holes schtick is OBE (overcome by events).

They have solid to good starters at almost every position right now. Maybe add another DL.

We told you the Cardinals could do this. They could sign a good DL of they restructure someone.
RT is still a huge issue, along with C. I'm not sure why we keep arguing this, Okudah probably won't even be there with the Lions moving Slay.