Who do we draft now at #8?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we took Becton over Simmons.... It would constitute a Bill O'Brien level of stupidity & incompetence. I would rather trade back with the Niners...... Allow them to get Simmons...... and then us take Jeudy or Kinlaw rather than letting Becton near our team.
I understand.

I don’t want Simmons though.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? I can't find a single reason why he wouldn't be a great fit for us at 8.
1. I don’t believe in drafting a ILB in the top 8. Almost the RBs of defense. Shortest shelf life & you combine that with taking them longer to reach their peak compared to other positions on defense & just.....no thanks.

2. I don’t trust Vance Joseph on properly how to use him.

3. I believe in protecting Kyler & opening big holes for our running games offers a lot more value than a non-pass rushing LB. I’d be furious if we took Simmons over a Willis if both were still on the board.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
1. I don’t believe in drafting a ILB in the top 8. Almost the RBs of defense. Shortest shelf life & you combine that with taking them longer to reach their peak compared to other positions on defense & just.....no thanks.

3. I believe in protecting Kyler & opening big holes for our running games offers a lot more value than a non-pass rushing LB. I’d be furious if we took Simmons over a Willis if both were still on the board.
I sure hope you are furious on draft day, then.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I would agree if Simmons was a run of the mill type ILB, but he is way more versatile than that. He is kind of like a rich man's version of Deone IMO. Has the versatility of Deone, but is bigger, stronger and more athletic. He could legitimately be stuffing the run on one play and possibly covering a TE or even a slot receiver on the next play. Certainly don't see him as simply an "ILB".

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would agree if Simmons was a run of the mill type ILB, but he is way more versatile than that. He is kind of like a rich man's version of Deone IMO. Has the versatility of Deone, but is bigger, stronger and more athletic. He could legitimately be stuffing the run on one play and possibly covering a TE or even a slot receiver on the next play. Certainly don't see him as simply an "ILB".
Drafting the “rich man’s version of Deone” at #8 isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement...

We also gotta be real with ourselves guys, he’s not covering no slot WR in the NFL. Against a TE? Sure, but a slot WR? You are playing with the biggest of flames there.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As much as I'd love to get a defensive stud, the priority has to be OL now. Nuk won't do much for us KM has no time to throw. With the big investment we will make once Nuk gets paid, a great offensive mind as HC and one of the best OL coaches, our goal has to be fielding a complete, dominate offense.

Build around KM! Draft whoever you think is the best out of the top 4 OT prospects! Preferably Wirfs or Wills, who are proven at RT and freak athletes with advanced technique for their age. Simmons would probably be too tempting to pass on at 8. Okudah probably as well. As much as I like Brown and Kinnlaw, OL trumps DL in our case even if our DL is in worse state than our OL. We are clearly offense-first and rightfully so!

Wirfs it is!!

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I can definitely see an opportunity where the Jets and Raiders try to move up for a top Wr. The way the QBs appear to be landing I can see only two getting taken in the top seven .

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
All of the players mentioned will help the Cardinals. I believe you take the guy you have rated the highest and think will have the biggest overall impact on the team going forward. This is one of the only years I can remember that I’m not sweating the first round.
Wirfs, Wills, Brown, Simmons, Okudah should all be major contributors.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm old, and I'm not a doctor, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night, but I do know that we're NOT taking a WR at #8.
First of all I agree with you. If they did though, I wonder if there is anyway there is a trade market for a guy like Kirk?

hahawhothat

Reaction score
If he's available you draft Simmons at 8. I think we have to really look at how many times our defense had team stopped on 3rd and long or just 3rd down. Every team we played against went to the tight end against our linebacker most of the time Reddick. That was our biggest weakness on our team is covering the tight end. We literally got killed on 3rd Downs again from the tight end position.

If Simmons not available draft Jerry Jeudy. Jerry Jeudy is in another class of receiver. You make this often scary along with Hopkins. Reason number one Judy over CD lamb who I love. We already have who we hope CD will become in DeAndre Hopkins. Adding who many consider to be the best route runner to come out of the draft in a long time. Jerry is a faster than both Hopkins and CD with the ability to get separation off the line immediately. People say the connection between CD and Kyler Murray puts it over the top. I remember when Pete Carroll moved from USC to the Seahawks and there was a discussion as far as which safety he was going to draft Taylor Mays or Earl Thomas. Pete Carroll took the most talented player regardless of his relationship with Taylor Mays. We need speed, Jerry Jeudy plays a lot faster than his combine time. People say Jeudy will have trouble getting off the press due to weight... if you miss it's six......

Simmons or Juedy

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Patrick Willis was a top 10 guy. Kuechly was a top 10 guy. Devin White and Devin Bush were top 10 guys last year.

Maybe with the change in the NFL, the emphasis on finding a true 3 down linebacker who can cover the middle of the field has increased the value of the position.

Guards aren't usually taken in the top 10, but every once in a while a Quentin Nelson comes along. I suspect the Colts have no regrets.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Drafting the “rich man’s version of Deone” at #8 isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement...

We also gotta be real with ourselves guys, he’s not covering no slot WR in the NFL. Against a TE? Sure, but a slot WR? You are playing with the biggest of flames there.
It is a ringing endorsement IMO because he essentially has all the good, but without the weaknesses that Deone had. Deone wasn't quite big enough to stuff RBs, Simmons is. Deone wasn't athletic enough to cover TEs, Simmons is. Also he certainly isn't going to be covering slot receivers on any sort of consistent basis, but he will be able to do it well enough to be able to effectively have him on the field against any possible personnel package the opposing offense brings out. He is a ILB/OLB/S hybrid that has the physical tools to do well in all of those areas of responsibility.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that a majority of this board wanted to take a OT during the season only to switch up & take a position where it offers the least impact with the smallest shelf life on defense is absolutely hilarious.

Hilarious.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The fact that a majority of this board wanted to take a OT during the season only to switch up & take a position where it offers the least impact with the smallest shelf life on defense is absolutely hilarious.

Hilarious.
Again if we were talking about a pure ILB your point would stand, but we are talking about someone that can bring much more to a defense that just traditional ILB responsibilities.

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
Id be fine with simmons at 8, or al OL like Thomas or Wirfs, but the OP mentioed Chaisson and i have watched every game he has played. Chaisson is a very disruptive football player, he can rush the passer, make open field tackles and drop in coverage. Considering chase young will be gone when we pick, there may not be 1 player with more impact potential to our team than Chaisson. If we can trade back a few spot and still get him, id be thrilled.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Hilarious.
I'm still mostly team OT with you, but I can understand the argument of Simmons being a true defensive differencemaker when we might be drafting the 2nd-3rd OT.

Simmons is pretty special, and hard to overlook. I get your perspective too.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Hilarious.

What have we had...2 1st round picks in the last 15 years that signed second long term contracts with us?

It all comes down to taking the player that will make the biggest impact.

Give me 7 time pro bowler Luke Kuechly playing for 8 years with us vs drafting a mediocre player that will sign somewhere else in 4-5 years (or we sign to top 5 money for 1 full season played out of 5).

I am not advocating for one specific player or the other...just saying.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose