Whis Handing Off Play Calling to Mike Miller

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/KentSomers/111162

Coach Ken Whisenhunt confirmed that passing game coordinator Mike Miller has been calling some of the team's plays for the past few weeks. Whisenhunt said it's a move that's been planned for some time, but the head coach didn't announce it because he didn't want Miller blamed if the offense continued to struggle.
This could be bad news for people who want to bring in a higher profile OC this offseason. It sounds like Whis is trying to bring Miller up through the ranks the same way he brought up Haley.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Man, this guy is eminently unqualified for his job: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-miller/4aad07c2-29d2-446e-9e69-024bd27b81e9

Wasn't this a guy who was promoted because our handpicked WRs coach exposed himself at a drive thru or something?

Anyway, I'm not sure why you'd let the passing game coordinator call plays. The passing game obviously has not worked all year. Even more so, the WRs have seriously regressed since Haley left, and I think that's clear to anyone who watches the team.

It's time to bring in a professional. No more Pittsburgh cast-offs. :barf:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That is what it sounds like......Wis just needs to get his hands completely off of it then,...so we can see if Miller is any good.
Word, if he is gonna give Miller a shot, Whiz has got to let go of the reigns the last two games.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stepping in the right direction, but would prefer bringing in a real OC in the offseason...not grooming someone at the end of the year.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Glad he's giving up the playcalling duties, but hopeful Miller isn't the guy for next year. It sounds like we're setting up for that situation, and I don't like it.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
So whiz didn't announce it b/c he didn't want Miller to be blamed......and then when the criticism gets too loud he decides its the perfect time to announce it. Might what wonder timing you have Whiz.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So whiz didn't announce it b/c he didn't want Miller to be blamed......and then when the criticism gets too loud he decides its the perfect time to announce it. Might what wonder timing you have Whiz.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess he didn't want to protect him too much.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You guys are ridiculous. No coach would have success with the execution that were seeing from the players.

The freaking Lemming route right now is to blame Whisenhunt for all the problems. Keep following Lemmings, maybe you'll fall off a cliff and I won't have to read your drivel anymore. :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, this guy is eminently unqualified for his job: http://www.azcardinals.com/team/coaches/mike-miller/4aad07c2-29d2-446e-9e69-024bd27b81e9

Wasn't this a guy who was promoted because our handpicked WRs coach exposed himself at a drive thru or something?

Anyway, I'm not sure why you'd let the passing game coordinator call plays. The passing game obviously has not worked all year. Even more so, the WRs have seriously regressed since Haley left, and I think that's clear to anyone who watches the team.

It's time to bring in a professional. No more Pittsburgh cast-offs. :barf:

:lmao:

Now you are qualified to tell if someone is qualified to be an OC in the NFL. That just ripe! Gotta love that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
:lmao:

Now you are qualified to tell if someone is qualified to be an OC in the NFL. That just ripe! Gotta love that.

Did you read his bio? What about it made you excited about him calling plays for our team?

It sure doesn't read like a guy who is qualified to be our OC and his appointment to me would be a HUGE disappointment.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im ok with Miller taking over if he becomes a true OC. No splitting calls with the hall of fame underachiever.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you read his bio? What about it made you excited about him calling plays for our team?

It sure doesn't read like a guy who is qualified to be our OC and his appointment to me would be a HUGE disappointment.

That bio is completely irrelevant to any of your opinions whether you like him or think he is a "sexy" pick or not.

He has been on this staff for 4 years learning under Whiz who is a proven successful NFL OC and knows more about offensive football than anyone on this board could ever even imagine.

The same coach who brought Haley along the same way and became a good OC and play caller and landed an NFL head coaching position.

If Whiz thinks he can handle the job and is the man for it I will give him the benefit of the doubt. You all don't like it because its not a big name "sexy" pick and I understand that. But it doesn't mean its a bad choice either. Only time will tell. For someone like K9 or any of you to say is he is grossly unqualified is totally laughable!

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im ok with Miller taking over if he becomes a true OC. No splitting calls with the hall of fame underachiever.

I'm OK with the splitting calls for this season. but if he is going to hand it over it needs to be a complete hand over by next season.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
That bio is completely irrelevant to any of your opinions whether you like him or think he is a "sexy" pick or not.

He has been on this staff for 4 years learning under Whiz who is a proven successful NFL OC and knows more about offensive football than anyone on this board could ever even imagine.

The same coach who brought Haley along the same way and became a good OC and play caller and landed an NFL head coaching position.

If Whiz thinks he can handle the job and is the man for it I will give him the benefit of the doubt. You all don't like it because its not a big name "sexy" pick and I understand that. But it doesn't mean its a bad choice either. Only time will tell. For someone like K9 or any of you to say is he is grossly unqualified is totally laughable!

Of course it is relevant as that is all we have to go by. We don't have a previous body of work to judge him on.

Haley had quite a bit more experience before he became OC...the comparison is not even close.

As for Whisenhunt knowing so much more than us...no kidding, but his judgement is hardly infallible, that "in Whis we trust" stuff is out the window after what we've seen this team turn in to this season. I see no reason to acccept all his decisions as being without reproach.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course it is relevant as that is all we have to go by. We don't have a previous body of work to judge him on.

Haley had quite a bit more experience before he became OC...the comparison is not even close.

As for Whisenhunt knowing so much more than us...no kidding, but his judgement is hardly infallible, that "in Whis we trust" stuff is out the window after what we've seen this team turn in to this season. I see no reason to acccept all his decisions as being without reproach.

You know what Haley was before he got his job as an OC right? A talent evaluator/scout, a WR's coach and a passing game coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys. All positions Miller has held in this league at some point or another.

Also I would certainly take Whiz's opinion on who is qualified to call plays in this league over you or K9.. So while I dont think he is infallible he is certainly qualified over you 2 to know if someone is up for the job.

This guys resume wasn't really any more impressive before he got his opportunity as an OC either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt

I still say its irrelevant because you guys really don;t know anything about the guy. So you really don't have any idea what he is qualified for or isn't.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You know what Haley was before he got his job as an OC right? A talent evaluator/scout, a WR's coach and a passing game coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys. All positions Miller has held in this league at some point or another.

Also I would certainly take Whiz's opinion on who is qualified to call plays in this league over you or K9.. So while I dont think he is infallible he is certainly qualified over you 2 to know if someone is up for the job.

This guys resume wasn't really any more impressive before he got his opportunity as an OC either: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Whisenhunt

I still say its irrelevant because you guys really don;t know anything about the guy. So you really don't have any idea what he is qualified for or isn't.

I guess they are just the same if you ignore that Haley was in the league a lot longer before becoming OC (so was Whisenhunt who actually played at a high level college program and in the NFL).

I personally hope he isn't the choice as OC.

But I guess...
Things are all rosey in Cardinal land, how dare we question the great Whisenhunt! After all he gave us our wonderful DC in Billy Davis, there is absolutely no chance he could make a mistake in a staff hire again! How dare I question his greatness as a talent evaluator, coach or any selection he makes to his staff?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess they are just the same if you ignore that Haley was in the league a lot longer before becoming OC (so was Whisenhunt who actually played at a high level college program and in the NFL).

I personally hope he isn't the choice as OC.

But I guess...
Things are all rosey in Cardinal land, how dare we question the great Whisenhunt! After all he gave us our wonderful DC in Billy Davis, there is absolutely no chance he could make a mistake in a staff hire again! How dare I question his greatness as a talent evaluator, coach or any selection he makes to his staff?

You have every right to question Whiz and not like the hire. I UNDERSTAND THAT as I have already said.

But to just say the guy is "eminently unqualified for his job" as K9 did and you seem to be echoing is plain and simply ignorant!

It may be a great choice it may very well be a bad choice. But like I said only time will tell.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm OK with the splitting calls for this season. but if he is going to hand it over it needs to be a complete hand over by next season.

Well, I don't care about the rest of this season, I am definitely talking about next year.

The sad truth about this team, is that Grimm is BAR NONE the biggest disappointment and underachiever on the staff. If he did his job as well as he is supposedly able to, playcalling would be MUCH less of an issue as our QB would have had protection and our RB's lanes and holes to run through. All of these other problems (playcalling, piss poor qb play, no real running threat) have been compounded and created by the fact that Grimm's line has been deplorable all season. I don't think out players are necessarily the problem either.

You replace grim with an OL coach who is worth his paycheck, and who calls the plays will suddenly become a much smaller issue.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Whiz can't win with some people. They've been calling for him to relegate his play calling, he does, and now it's not the right guy. That's hilarious. I'm wth Shane on this one. It's the exact same thing he did with the legendary, greatest OC ever, Todd Haley. To blame Miller for the passing game regeressing is beyond reason. He went from Warner at QB to Scud to Hall to Skelton. That may have a little effect on the passing game.
Three 3 good things come of this. Whiz gets to concentrate on being the HC but he'll still be very involved in the offense, Miller will get to develop the game plan/play calling as he sees it, and Grimm, hopefully gets his running game coordiantor taken away and can concentrate on trying to get these OL to block effectively

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Meet your new Offensive Coordinator for your 2011 Arizona Cardinals

Mike Miller

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Now that we got the OC out of the way who assists Grimm and who assists Davis?

Meet your new Defensive Coordinator and Offensive Line coach for your 2011 Arizona Cardinals

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard