Whis Handing Off Play Calling to Mike Miller

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Right? Just read all the pages in a blitz and the anger quotient is through the roof. At least it comes from a place of passion, I guess.

They keep saying "the system works", but it doesn't and never has. Identity does. Drive and focus do.
Systems always fail.
They even have a word for the phenomenon: Entropy.
So fix that and fast.

This is exactly what worries me about Whiz, he has a system and he believes in it. The problem with that is the players don't necessarily fit the system.

Whiz doesn't understand why it doesn't work. I believe Warner was able to adapt to the system and make it work. Now he is gone and the players we now have can't make it work because it doesn't fit the players.

Square peg in a round hole syndrome.

Beyond better ball security, I saw no change in how Warner approached his role at QB.

Ergo... the Whiz system had a lot of input from both Haley and Warner.

I really don't know what people mean by the reference. At the beginning of this season, people on this board said that more run, less pass was the essence of the Whiz system. And yet, that was rarely the case in game situations, no matter the start.

Maybe we should have a debate and consensus on what precisely is the "WHIZ system".

Then we will have a better sense of whether, in fact, we have "square peg in a round hole syndrome" in play.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
They keep saying "the system works", but it doesn't and never has.

Considering this is the first losing season Whisenhunt is experiencing as a head coach in four years, I would have to assume with 100% certainty that the system has indeed worked and probably will work again in the future.

Just because we are struggling this year doesnt mean we should discount what the coach has done in the past.

This is exactly what worries me about Whiz, he has a system and he believes in it. The problem with that is the players don't necessarily fit the system.
Can you give me proof of this? I would say it is more so the execution rather than the belief. Derek Anderson is a large part of this. He was so bad that he couldnt execute drives, avoid 3 and outs and keep the defense off the field. Cant score many points when the offense isnt apparent and your QB is overthrowing 6'5" receivers. Certainly he doesnt fit the system but it doesnt mean no one believes in it

It is natural to question what is being done but to say they dont believe in Whis is a broad, baseless statement

Whiz doesn't understand why it doesn't work. I believe Warner was able to adapt to the system and make it work. Now he is gone and the players we now have can't make it work because it doesn't fit the players.

Square peg in a round hole syndrome.
I would assume more that Whiz does understand why it does not work, but cannot do much until the offseason. The Front Office is known for not making profound business decisions until the offseason (i.e. contract extensions, personnel hiring/firing, etc.) So I would assume that the situation is more "wait until next season." Two priorities this offseason IMO are a new QB (impact FA or first day draft pick) and a defensive coordinator.

Bottom line is it is really unmerited to start saying that Whis is over his head and does not know what he is doing simply because we are having one losing season. In addition to which, the common argument by Whiz detractors is that Warner masked a lot of his lack of coaching prowess. Well, Warner was incapable of masking Denny's failures, which leads me to believe that Whiz was largely if not 100% responsible for the resurrection of Warner. Moreover, he was largely responsible for the development of Ben Rapistberger in Pittsburgh. Not the first time he has impacted a QB's football career.

Whisenhunt has had proven success in the NFL. You cannot discount that regardless of 2010. Unequivocally.

Last edited:

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe we should have a debate and consensus on what precisely is the "WHIZ system".

Then we will have a better sense of whether, in fact, we have "square peg in a round hole syndrome" in play.
I watched last weeks pre-game show with Cowher explaining why passing the ball is important, and how it is the only thing you can do when defenses stack the boxes, or when you are starting to fall behind in the score.

Word for word he sounded like Whiz, or is it the other way around? ;) Kinda why I hope we don't go after Cowher, we already got the 2.0 version.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You have every right to question Whiz and not like the hire. I UNDERSTAND THAT as I have already said.

But to just say the guy is "eminently unqualified for his job" as K9 did and you seem to be echoing is plain and simply ignorant!

It may be a great choice it may very well be a bad choice. But like I said only time will tell.

If someone says Whiz is eminently unqualified for the job then they are dead wrong. He may not be highly qualified but to win 5 games without a NFL QB on the team takes a coach who at least is qualified. Whiz does not pick players in the draft. Supposedly that is Rod Mysterious Graves job. In this organization you can bet your last dollar that all major decisions are still run by Mr B for his final approval. He is the President and the Hammer no matter his son is the front man and the apparent head man. He remains in the background only but is still the pilot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen