Whis Handing Off Play Calling to Mike Miller

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agreed. And I found it interesting reading up on Todd Haley as he was hired as OC here and apparently he didn't start calling the plays until later in the 2007 season. I'm wondering exactly when because if Whiz was calling the plays earlier that year, we averaged 19ppg but after a 17-10 loss to Tampa, we averaged 30ppg. Of course turning the playcalling over to someone else now is moot, dontcha think?

Well that also coincides with around the time Leinart went down and the team was handed over to Warner...but I know the anti-Whis crowd don't give a rat's about logic...

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dont know squat about Mike Miller but this whole thing begs the question, why isnt Russ Grimm being groomed to be the OC or anything more than an OL coach with an extended title? How is he qualified to be a head coach?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont know squat about Mike Miller but this whole thing begs the question, why isnt Russ Grimm being groomed to be the OC or anything more than an OL coach with an extended title? How is he qualified to be a head coach?
Why? Do you really have to ask? :)

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
I'm ok with Miller as OC. In fact, I don't think that job is as important on this team as the DC job. The Bidwills are cheap and will not make many big splashy hires. Perhaps this frees up more money for the DC who I hope IS a big name, well proven kind of guy.

You can look at the Saints as an example. When your head coach is an offensive minded coach a la Whiz or Sean Peyton, you don't need a big time OC. You almost want to have a nobody so the head coach still has some say in the game-planning. However when it comes to DC you want a strong minded proven winner a la Gregg Williams, who will handle all aspects of the defense and not allow much interference from the offensive minded head coach. The final result (super bowl champs) will hopefully be the same for the Cards as it was for the Saints.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We do not need a part time OC play caller. We need a real one with real OC responsibilities and authority.
Hopefully, Grimm has shown what not to do with the run game. Then, next year, Miller, Mike, can coordinate the whole offense.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you hand the keys to someone and he does just as poor of a job that the person before, you have the right to criticize BOTH of them. Why is this foreign?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I guess he didn't want to protect him too much.

I think sometimes fans or perhaps even owners get sucked in by what a potential head coach credentials look like. Whiz came from a winning organization. That does not always translate to a new team as you are not bringing all your staff with you. Buddy Ryan was probably a half ass genius as a DC but a lousy HC. He could relate to tough defensive lineman but could not deal with the primadonna QBs, RBs, and receivers. His style did not work with these guys. Whiz's shortfalls was covered up by Kurt Warner for several years. He was an OC in his own right. The wild card in all this is just how much influence did Graves and ownership have on what players Whiz could bring in or not bring in. We have always been sort of a mysterious organization as we are family owned and they do not have to release very much about how their organization functions. I think Whiz will be here next year because I do not think the Bidwill family will pay two head coaches at he same time and Whiz has a contract. We are much driven by money. As much so as by winning. Ownership will feel they have to throw the fans a bone of some sort and will likely fire the DC as he is currently not in favor with the fans. We are a disorganized organization if that makes any sense. This year will be a telling year I think. Who will we fire. Who will we draft? How much of our CAP money will we commit to improving a terrible team? We left money on the table this season.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
2 points from my perspective:
Whiz will be here because he deserves to be.
I think money is more important to ownership than winning.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You guys are ridiculous. No coach would have success with the execution that were seeing from the players.

The freaking Lemming route right now is to blame Whisenhunt for all the problems. Keep following Lemmings, maybe you'll fall off a cliff and I won't have to read your drivel anymore. :)

Is it an accident that certain head coaches have a knack for being consistent winners. A head coach may be responsible for winning or losing 2-3 games a year. That 2-3 games is often the difference between winning the division and losing the division.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I'm in the camp that wants a proven OC and DC. I want the big name guys. This team went backwards because of several reasons. How about lets right this ship and get back to being winners. I don't know about the rest of you but I was enjoying winning our division and being in the playoffs.

Number one we do whatever it takes to draft Andrew Luck. We are drafting in the top four most likely. We should be able to come up with some sort of trade to get Luck.

We bring in a big name OC and DC. There are so many big name coaches out there to pick from it shouldn't be that hard.

We will have to spend money on at least two big time free agents. Hopefully we can find or draft a passrushing OLB and an OT.

There is no way we can right this ship in one season, but we can be the best in our division and get back to the playoffs with these moves in just one season.

We need two starting linebackers, a CB, three starting offensive linemen, a WR, two TE's and Andrew Luck. It's too much to get in just one offseason, but we can get several of these players and get the coaches we need and that will be enough to win our division.

Going into next season with Andrew Luck as our starter and Skelton as our backup will do wonders for our QB position.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
:lmao:

Now you are qualified to tell if someone is qualified to be an OC in the NFL. That just ripe! Gotta love that.

I suggested a month ago that Gus Malzon the OC for Auburn was some sort of offensive genius. He took his high school team and won a state championship, he moved to Arkansas and introduced the wildcat with Felix Jones and D. McFadden. He moved on to Tulsa and had one of he highest scoring offenses in the nation. He then moved on to Auburn who just won the national championship. He was offered the head coaching job at Vanderbilt but did not accept it when Auburn doubled his salary as OC to 1.5 mil. Almost any sportscaster you hear talk about him talks in great superlatives. He is the kind of guy I would bring in as an OC. He is an innovator and not a follower. Some smart NFL team is going to grab him some day and be happy they did. He is relatively young buy oh so brilliant when it comes to offense.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LOL Whiz, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guess that's usually what happens when you go from first to worst.

Even if the playcall remains similar because it's "Whiz's guy", Whiz should still be able to focus more squarely on the head coaching aspects of the game.

Good for you Whizzy, try a few somethings out before the year is done. If this Miller dude sets us up to beat Dattass on X-mas, are we all still going to be clamoring for a new OC?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
LOL Whiz, damned if you do, damned if you don't. I guess that's usually what happens when you go from first to worst.

Even if the playcall remains similar because it's "Whiz's guy", Whiz should still be able to focus more squarely on the head coaching aspects of the game.

Good for you Whizzy, try a few somethings out before the year is done. If this Miller dude sets us up to beat Dattass on X-mas, are we all still going to be clamoring for a new OC?
yes, becasue they didn't win by enough and should have called a pass play on that crucial 3 and 3 in the 2nd quarter :D.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Whizenhunt is a fool, a fool I tell you! LOL!

I am willing to give Miller a chance but I also have my reservations with him.

I agree that we need to get an experienced DC who will be strong willed and has the ability to and freedom to set this defense in a 4-3 or a 3-4 whichever he believes will work best.

The freedom part is what worries me with Whiz having to micro manage everything.

The best leaders surround themselves with great talent and allow them to do their thing. Why is Haley doing so well in KC, he is surrounded with good coaches who are allowed to do their job to the best of their abilities.

I am not sure Whiz can let go.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
+1

Our QB play has been crippling this offense, which requires good QB play to win.

That's the whole problem that the Whis apologist camp refuses to acknowledge. If you don't have any good QBs, don't run an offense that requires one. Lots of teams do it and end up a lot better than 4-12 when all is said and done.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I'm OK with the splitting calls for this season. but if he is going to hand it over it needs to be a complete hand over by next season.
I hope he gets full responsibility even for the remaining two games... no more this sharing crap. Give the guy full control and see what he can do.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No the proof isn't in the pudding. It's just not the sexy pick you would prefer so you are mad. Nothing more or less. Just because you throw parcells name out there doesn't make your opinion any more valid. Miller has close to the same # or years doing the same jobs Haley did in this league. You don't like him and that's fine. But to say he isn't qualified again is ignorant. That stance means neither Haley or Whiz were qualified when they became NFL OC's.

Probably many more OC's in the league as well. This is just a case of people bitching for the sake of bitching!

Here's what I think is rubbing people the wrong way. It's not just that he isn't a sexy pick, but that he isn't a proven pick. IMO, we really need to get an established OC with a solid resume of playcalling. There will be a few available after the annual rounds of firings. We simply cannot afford to gamble on developing another Haley out of nowhere.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well that also coincides with around the time Leinart went down and the team was handed over to Warner...but I know the anti-Whis crowd don't give a rat's about logic...
Uh huh. Leinart went down in week 5. Week 6(10 points), week 7(19 points), and week 9(10 points) were all after Leinart went down then magically, starting in week 10, we started scoring a lot of points(30 point average). Deal with those facts.

And why can't I get a straight answer out of you Whiz pablum eaters? Why do you give Whiz all the credit in the world when we were winning yet are giving him a total pass for this season?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort