Whis Handing Off Play Calling to Mike Miller

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Whiz can't win with some people. They've been calling for him to relegate his play calling, he does, and now it's not the right guy. That's hilarious.

+1

When I opened this thread I thought, "ohh thank God, now everyone on ASFN will shut up about this." Of course not. This is exhibit A as to how people on the board will whine and cry for the sake of whining and crying.

The common complaint about Whisenhunt Ive heard from the haters is about his ego. Well, this is a tall-tale sign that it is not as inflated as those people want to believe; otherwise, he would have a complete stranglehold on the play calling duties.

By the way. While Mike Miller does not have OC experience, he does come from a similar background of a person who the Whis haters will be worshiping at church this Christmas; Todd Haley. How are we supposed to know if the guy is going to be a total failure? I mean his credentials as a WR coach show he is capable of success. Doesnt a guy have to start somewhere? Are many here so neurotic and impulsive that the only OC hiring that will help them sleep at night is a former big name ex coach who is an OC by trade? Trust me, it's not happening unless the purse strings burst this offseason by ownership.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
+1

When I opened this thread I thought, "ohh thank God, now everyone on ASFN will shut up about this." Of course not. This is exhibit A as to how people on the board will whine and cry for the sake of whining and crying.

The common complaint about Whisenhunt Ive heard from the haters is about his ego. Well, this is a tall-tale sign that it is not as inflated as those people want to believe; otherwise, he would have a complete stranglehold on the play calling duties.

By the way. While Mike Miller does not have OC experience, he does come from a similar background of a person who the Whis haters will be worshiping at church this Christmas; Todd Haley. How are we supposed to know if the guy is going to be a total failure? I mean his credentials as a WR coach show he is capable of success. Doesnt a guy have to start somewhere? Are many here so neurotic and impulsive that the only OC hiring that will help them sleep at night is a former big name ex coach who is an OC by trade? Trust me, it's not happening unless the purse strings burst this offseason by ownership.

Was he the guy that coached our WR's this season?? The same WR's who drop six or eight balls a game? The ones who run the sloppy routes?

... FYI, this could still well be an example of "ego",..as, instead of bringing in an experienced coordinator, coach wis wants to just use a guy he brought up to do it "his" way....just sayin.

I am fine with giving Miller a shot, everyone deserves one...if he fails he then cannot bitch when we hire someone else.... but wis needs to let go of the reigns, let Miller do this on his own, develop his own identity as a play caller.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Was he the guy that coached our WR's this season?? The same WR's who drop six or eight balls a game? The ones who run the sloppy routes?

Or the same guy who took a 5th round KR in 2007 in Breaston who many thought would never amount to anything as a wideout and made him a 1,000 yard receiver in two seasons, while in that same season having three 1,000+ yard receivers with two of them going to pro bowls.

Like with some coaches/players on this team, his past production outweighs his downfalls of this tumultuous 2010 season

Knife cuts both ways.

chickenhead

Reaction score
I understand some may not want this as our structure next year, but for anyone who wanted Whiz to relinquish playcalling, this is a good thing. Even though there's a chance Miller will be the OC next season, or Whiz will reclaim playcalling duties if it doesn't go well--this is still one step closer to a new OC.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

... FYI, this could still well be an example of "ego",..as, instead of bringing in an experienced coordinator, coach wis wants to just use a guy he brought up to do it "his" way....just sayin.

I am fine with giving Miller a shot, everyone deserves one...if he fails he then cannot bitch when we hire someone else.... but wis needs to let go of the reigns, let Miller do this on his own, develop his own identity as a play caller.
If you're going to exaggerate why not say 10-12 drops a game and what's your basis for the sloppy route running? Are you looking at coaches tape that none of us see because on TV, or even watching live, we have no idea what route is being run. Alot of routes are option routes where the WR reads the defense and adjusts accordingly.
Every coach, maybe other than the great Todd Haley, is going to have coordinators that run their system. How is that an ego thing? Would you expect Bill Parcells, who is a run oriented coach, to go out and hire Mouse Davis to bring his run and shoot offense to the team?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
:lmao:

Now you are qualified to tell if someone is qualified to be an OC in the NFL. That just ripe! Gotta love that.

Proof's in the pudding, Shane. Haley worked with Bill Parcells for years before becoming WRs coach and OC here. Haley worked extensively with the WRs even after he was OC--anyone who went to training camp can tell you that.

Chris Miller took a top five NFL offense in 2008 and developed it to mediocrity in 2009, and then to one of the Worst in the NFL in 2010. Doucet has not developed; Hightower in undependable in the pAssing game. But you know that the guys is doing a good job because he worked as a glorified film cutter for two he years in Pitt.

It's good to see you stand by your man no matter how deep the garbage pile at you feet/knees/hips gets.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Proof's in the pudding, Shane. Haley worked with Bill Parcells for years before becoming WRs coach and OC here. Haley worked extensively with the WRs even after he was OC--anyone who went to training camp can tell you that.

Chris Miller took a top five NFL offense in 2008 and developed it to mediocrity in 2009, and then to one of the Worst in the NFL in 2010. Doucet has not developed; Hightower in undependable in the pAssing game. But you know that the guys is doing a good job because he worked as a glorified film cutter for two he years in Pitt.

It's good to see you stand by your man no matter how deep the garbage pile at you feet/knees/hips gets.
Haley originally got into the NFL because of his dad. He was an assistant in the scouting dept.(coffee runner). Quality control(glorified film cutter) coach for the Jets, where his dad had moved. Then was never more than a WR coach until he became passing game coordinator(sound familiar) with Dallas and then hired by Whiz. How that makes his path much better than Miller's and more qualified, I don't see it. In fact both guys look like they started as Quality control coaches, went to WR's coaches, to passing game coordinatots, to OC. Cowher was the first to hire him.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I remember thinking about how unqualified Todd Haley was to be OC.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I understand some may not want this as our structure next year, but for anyone who wanted Whiz to relinquish playcalling, this is a good thing. Even though there's a chance Miller will be the OC next season, or Whiz will reclaim playcalling duties if it doesn't go well--this is still one step closer to a new OC.

I agree that this is a step in the right direction in giving Miller the chance to earn it by calling the last few games of the season as long as it is evaluated and looked at as not a closed competition going into the offseason. We have to have better coaching for next season. OC is a major area that needs improvement but not the only one. If Davis is canned( he better be)and Grimm moves on to another team we cannot just replace them with their assisstants. That would be like rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic.
After the season we have had, I do not see our core players having much confidence in no name coaches and if that is what Whis and the Bidwills give them then the magic of the last few seasons is truly gone and not coming back. We will be the same old Cards. I have my doubts that any of it will work unless Graves is gone, Davis and Grimm are gone, and we bring in proven guys to turn this around. I think most of you know that the Bidwills won't let this happen and Whis really doesn't want anyone other than his guys anyway. We have to be dynamic on one side of the ball or the other and we are no where close by having a Whis, Miller, Davis design this thing.
No one wants to hear it but Warner and to a lesser extent Boldin/Fitz made this team dynamic on offense. Unless Whis can find another couple of these guys nothing will change. We sunk as fast as we could to the wors't team around and we have little hope of getting back to the top with these guys.
I would have had more confidence in Whis had he switched us to a power running game and built the Oline for that purpose last offseason but that did not happen. Instead we got an abortion at Qb, a chuck and duck offensive gameplan and a defensive effort that can only be described as putrid.
If the owners do not spend to get the talent needed we will all be having these same disagreements next season IMO except Whis will be one step closer to his final act. Count on it.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No the proof isn't in the pudding. It's just not the sexy pick you would prefer so you are mad. Nothing more or less. Just because you throw parcells name out there doesn't make your opinion any more valid. Miller has close to the same # or years doing the same jobs Haley did in this league. You don't like him and that's fine. But to say he isn't qualified again is ignorant. That stance means neither Haley or Whiz were qualified when they became NFL OC's.

Probably many more OC's in the league as well. This is just a case of people bitching for the sake of bitching!

Last edited:

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
This is just a case of people bitching for the sake of bitching!

After this season we all have the right to bitch just for the sake of it. In this case however, we need more than just an" assistant " to fix this mess IMO.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
After this season we all have the right to bitch just for the sake of it. In this case however, we need more than just an" assistant " to fix this mess IMO.
And we all have the right to bitch about the bitching.

All just bitching.

:)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Your right it will take more. It's called a real NFL caliber QB.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a proven OC to fix this mess not an assistant that Whiz will pretty much tell what to do anyway!

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
We need a proven OC to fix this mess not an assistant that Whiz will pretty much tell what to do anyway!
What "proven OC" do you suggest? And, every HC pretty much tells the assistants what do, excpet for the great Todd Haley. That's why they're the HC and the others are the assisstants.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
+1

+1

It's so funny how quickly this fan base turned on a coaching who took us to an NFC Championship and back-to-back NFC West titles.

They act as if everything good that happened to this team was either dumb luck, Kurt Warner, or Todd Haley. Whisenhunt gets none of the credit and all the blame. Memo to anti-Whis retards: Whisenhunt CHOOSE Todd Haley and instituted Warner as his starter. With the same roster for the most part, Dennis Green led us to a LOSING record.

Our problems right now are mainly front office related. The terrible front office we've had for the past 10 years, hell forever is rearing it's ugly face again. Until we can consistently fill holes in our roster on a year to year basis, we'll continue to have seasons like this.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So whiz didn't announce it b/c he didn't want Miller to be blamed......and then when the criticism gets too loud he decides its the perfect time to announce it. Might what wonder timing you have Whiz.

Agreed. And I found it interesting reading up on Todd Haley as he was hired as OC here and apparently he didn't start calling the plays until later in the 2007 season. I'm wondering exactly when because if Whiz was calling the plays earlier that year, we averaged 19ppg but after a 17-10 loss to Tampa, we averaged 30ppg. Of course turning the playcalling over to someone else now is moot, dontcha think?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agreed. And I found it interesting reading up on Todd Haley as he was hired as OC here and apparently he didn't start calling the plays until later in the 2007 season. I'm wondering exactly when because if Whiz was calling the plays earlier that year, we averaged 19ppg but after a 17-10 loss to Tampa, we averaged 30ppg. Of course turning the playcalling over to someone else now is moot, dontcha think?
So basically, Whiz is doing the same thing he did with Haley? Sounds like a bad move.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any possibility this means the run game coordinator is on his way out?

pleezpleezpleez

9k=

You must be registered for see images