Warner and his contract

cardfan

Registered
Reaction score
Warner and his contract

Quarterback Kurt Warner talked about his potential contract extension today. Earning $4 million this season on the final year of his deal, the idea of a new deal is not simple.

"I think the Cardinals know I want to finish my career here, they know I want to be able to start and play and I want to be in a position if I am starting to be compensated like a starter," Warner said. "Last year proves I am one of the better quarterbacks in this league and would deserve to be paid as a starter if I am in that position."

That's the problem, though, which Warner acknowledged. While he said he is willing to work with the team on a contract that paid him less as a backup but more if he starts, he also said no one was sure how such a deal would be structured. Clearly, Warner is guarded about having a contract based solely on playtime or games started, not knowing the situation going forward with Matt Leinart.

And you also have to go back to the Leinart angle. Warner wants to play. Can he handle it if Leinart gets cemented into the starting role? He said no matter what, he thinks it will work itself out without him worrying about it. But he did mention, when talking about if he became the permanent backup, "I believe it will work itself out if I choose to stay and play."

"I want to stay here the rest of my career," Warner added. "But it's hard right now to figure (the contract) out."

You must be registered for see images

Posted on July 25th at 6:09 PM | Permalink

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, real classy. The guy is going to make 4 m as a back-up and he wants a more. That is more than Q is going to make. Hmmmmm. Is that right?

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, real classy. The guy is going to make 4 m as a back-up and he wants a more. That is more than Q is going to make. Hmmmmm. Is that right?

Yup about as much as Q. Good point.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I hope this is a back handed slap at "Q." I really dont like the way this is transpiring. I do, however, feel confident that the Cards and Q will get on the same page eventually. He is not gonna stew over this for three years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort