Usc @ Asu

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And ESPN has to knock it off with the persistent FG range line.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
More ppg this year: Marion Grice or Jahii Carson?

:D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love to watch Deandre Lewis run. TD!!

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good grief. Missed the game and just saw the score. What happened to the vaunted USC defense, was supposed to be one of the best in PAC 12. Of course we gave up 42 ourselves, but 62, wow.

Mathew81

Whatever
Reaction score
I was having flashbacks to 2005 when USC scored that TD at the beginning of the 2nd half.

Nice bounce back win after last week.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that's not a typical USC team and without Carroll I no longer harbor any special hatred for them but damn, it's really nice to put up 60 points on a major college program. We still have a scary schedule in front of us even with catching a break on Oregon but I'll savor this one for awhile.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that's not a typical USC team and without Carroll I no longer harbor any special hatred for them but damn, it's really nice to put up 60 points on a major college program. We still have a scary schedule in front of us even with catching a break on Oregon but I'll savor this one for awhile.

Steve

The only bad thing about last night's victory? We got Lane fired. I don't know what USC's problem is? If they'd just go back to paying SEC type wages they'd be back in the thick of things in no time.

Steve

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

Steve

We still can't stop the run and pose little to no threat with our own run game... So we will have serious struggles going forward...
But no doubt ringing up 60 on USC feels really, really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We still can't stop the run and pose little to no threat with our own run game... So we will have serious struggles going forward...

Yeah, I'm not expecting much from this season but this was a great win regardless of how this all plays out. Don't get me wrong, I have high hopes for this group. Expectations are quite a bit lower though..

Steve

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That seemed to be our D's worst showing of the year.

Our offense's run game did manage to outgain USC's run game, 261 yards, 7.5 yards per carry.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to our quarterback... Not good...

Actually, I think this was the key to opening up USC's defense. Once Kelly made a couple of nice runs their defense had to account for another running threat. They couldn't just concentrate on ASU's running backs.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Actually, I think this was the key to opening up USC's defense. Once Kelly made a couple of nice runs their defense had to account for another running threat. They couldn't just concentrate on ASU's running backs.

Perhaps... For me, I just don't prefer that our QB is our leading rusher... I don't see that as a sustainable approach to winning football. Unless we become Oregon and have backs like D'Anthony Thomas...

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Our RB's did pretty good. It just didn't happen until the 2nd half.

USC got some cheap scores and an onside kick. Then that late score. The game really wasn't as close as the score indicates. They also converted some 4th downs I think. They were going for it on 4th down basically every time the 2nd half except for maybe once in the 4th qtr.

Then a couple of real fluke plays like that touchdown on the screen which seems like we had it covered but had downshifted a gear because of the score.

Overall it should have been more like 62-21 or 62-28. But all this cheap stuff happened and it was only 62-41. Still 21 point win after all that and 62 points is awesome.

The whole night everytime they showed Kiffin I just kept thinking....guy looks like he's a dead man walking.

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Our RB's did pretty good. It just didn't happen until the 2nd half.

USC got some cheap scores and an onside kick. Then that late score. The game really wasn't as close as the score indicates. They also converted some 4th downs I think. They were going for it on 4th down basically every time the 2nd half except for maybe once in the 4th qtr.

Then a couple of real fluke plays like that touchdown on the screen which seems like we had it covered but had downshifted a gear because of the score.

Overall it should have been more like 62-21 or 62-28. But all this cheap stuff happened and it was only 62-41. Still 21 point win after all that and 62 points is awesome.

The whole night everytime they showed Kiffin I just kept thinking....guy looks like he's a dead man walking.

Using that logic - the score last week at Stanford should have been more like 80 - 28...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Using that logic - the score last week at Stanford should have been more like 80 - 28...
[/URL]

I think 88 is correct and you're right, the Stanford loss was a real blowout. We made it look a little better in the end but it was more the result of Stanford easing off than anything else. Unless you want to say that our poor special teams play is a fluke, Stanford far outclassed us in much the same way we outclassed the Trojans.

Steve

OP
OP
Z

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Perhaps... For me, I just don't prefer that our QB is our leading rusher... I don't see that as a sustainable approach to winning football. Unless we become Oregon and have backs like D'Anthony Thomas...

I too would like to see us with an RB getting over a 100 a game.

But the way the offense is designed, you have to take what the defense give you. And they were encouraging Kelly to keep on those options before the game. The threat of him keeping the ball and breaking those runs should help open things up for the RB.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Writers were saying this team could be 1-4 to start the season with the front loaded schedule. They've got a great shot at 4-1 and some still aren't expecting much?

HooverDam

Reaction score
Writers were saying this team could be 1-4 to start the season with the front loaded schedule. They've got a great shot at 4-1 and some still aren't expecting much?

Im not sure what is meant by "not expecting much", it seems like right now barring freak injuries, ASU is at worst a Sun Bowl team. Thats not a great season, but its not bad either, certainly a step in the right direction from the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, and the sort of thing you want to see as you build a program.

The run defense is frustrating, I lay a lot of that on the coaches. Part of it is that ASUs LBs just aren't very good, and they're small. But the coaches continually put all the LBs up on the line of scrimmage. If one guy missed a tackle (usually an arm tackle attempt) or screwed up his assignment, there was no second level to stop the USC RBs.

I hope the ASU coaches go to a more traditional look against ND on defense, let Sutton and Bradford get pressure on their own, but keep the LBs back behind the line. That'll not only help stop the run, but keep more people in the passing lanes for a very turnover prone Tommy Reese.

Then when we play CU, just go back to putting everyone on the line, don't worry about their RB, and tell guys "go try to pad your sack numbers, have fun!" in what should be a blowout.

Thank God we have UW in Tempe btw. They look pretty tough this year. UW and @ UCLA are probably the toughest games left, with ND in Dallas being 3rd toughest. At worst though I think ASU finishes 8-4, which is a nice season, but I'm still holding out hope for 10 regular season wins.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1- 4 was a real possibility (not a given, just a possibility) back when most people thought USC would still play like USC. Wisconsin was justifiably considered a tough matchup but I don't know of anyone that considered it a lock either way. AFAIC, once USC showed it's colors by underperforming against Hawaii and WSU, we've pretty much played to expectation. And that's coming from someone that didn't have really high expectations for this team.

I think every game left on our schedule is winnable but there's really only two games where we're likely to be solid favorites. We could win out but other than Utah and Colorado, I don't see a game left on our schedule where a loss would surprise me.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen