Usc @ Asu

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what is meant by "not expecting much", it seems like right now barring freak injuries, ASU is at worst a Sun Bowl team. Thats not a great season, but its not bad either, certainly a step in the right direction from the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl, and the sort of thing you want to see as you build a program.

The run defense is frustrating, I lay a lot of that on the coaches. Part of it is that ASUs LBs just aren't very good, and they're small. But the coaches continually put all the LBs up on the line of scrimmage. If one guy missed a tackle (usually an arm tackle attempt) or screwed up his assignment, there was no second level to stop the USC RBs.

I hope the ASU coaches go to a more traditional look against ND on defense, let Sutton and Bradford get pressure on their own, but keep the LBs back behind the line. That'll not only help stop the run, but keep more people in the passing lanes for a very turnover prone Tommy Reese.

Then when we play CU, just go back to putting everyone on the line, don't worry about their RB, and tell guys "go try to pad your sack numbers, have fun!" in what should be a blowout.

Thank God we have UW in Tempe btw. They look pretty tough this year. UW and @ UCLA are probably the toughest games left, with ND in Dallas being 3rd toughest. At worst though I think ASU finishes 8-4, which is a nice season, but I'm still holding out hope for 10 regular season wins.

I agree, the Sun Devils defense definitely needs to be fixed. It's not only the run defense but the pass defense as well. It was scary how open USC receivers were on certain plays... I mean wide open with no defender in sight. Short of Sacramento State, the Sun Devils defense has shown no signs of stopping anyone.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Thank God we have UW in Tempe btw. They look pretty tough this year. UW and @ UCLA are probably the toughest games left, with ND in Dallas being 3rd toughest. At worst though I think ASU finishes 8-4, which is a nice season, but I'm still holding out hope for 10 regular season wins.

The UCLA game is clearly the toughest of the three. But I think the ND game will be tougher than the UW game. ND can run the ball down our throats and they have a worst, a decent QB...and it's in Dallas...
Should be interesting to see how we come out on these 3 games...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASU has three major problems on defense: They're playing Sutton out of position on a regular basis; their linebackers and ends have no clue what they're doing; the absence of Marcus Ball at safety is an even bigger hole than previously thought.

One of these things is fixable, but ASU seems committed to keeping Sutton in a zero technique about sixty percent of the time. So, the one great thing about ASU's defense isn't available most of the time, because Sutton doesn't get to go one-on-one and penetrate anymore. USC went one-man on once, on their first play from scrimmage and Sutton dropped them for a six-yard loss. He was doubled the rest of the night. I think I saw him for three plays in the 3 technique.

I think this COULD change this week. Maybe Mo Latu has gained the faith of the staff. He's the zero/one-technique guy. But ASU just doesn't have the depth to play both Sutton and Latu at the same time, not without Hood injured and someone else figuring things out.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
There is no victory sweeter than winning a game that costs an ******* coach his job.

Good job, Devils. I think USC fans are thanking you today.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
ASU has three major problems on defense: They're playing Sutton out of position on a regular basis; their linebackers and ends have no clue what they're doing; the absence of Marcus Ball at safety is an even bigger hole than previously thought.

One of these things is fixable, but ASU seems committed to keeping Sutton in a zero technique about sixty percent of the time. So, the one great thing about ASU's defense isn't available most of the time, because Sutton doesn't get to go one-on-one and penetrate anymore. USC went one-man on once, on their first play from scrimmage and Sutton dropped them for a six-yard loss. He was doubled the rest of the night. I think I saw him for three plays in the 3 technique.

I think this COULD change this week. Maybe Mo Latu has gained the faith of the staff. He's the zero/one-technique guy. But ASU just doesn't have the depth to play both Sutton and Latu at the same time, not without Hood injured and someone else figuring things out.

Incredibly frustrating situation Matt... Just think how much better this team would be performing if we could see Sutton in the backfield more often, and if they were even slightly better against the run!
Man... I really hope Atkinson III doesn't become Adrian Peterson next Saturday in Dallas!! :sad:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen