UA & Pac-12 Basketball Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because we were struggling to score and York is a much better offensive player than Mayes and Pitts?

And we're all pretty bored at the not so subtle digs at Miller's coaching acumen. I think about every person in the world not in Tempe or Westwood would say he's proven he's pretty damn good.

Who's being subtle I'm asking why Miller would keep a kid on the court who scored 1 point and got off 2 shots in 28 minutes, when the only thing the kid does well is shoot the ball? He could have gone to his bigger lineup instead of playing 3 guards.

I think Miller did a very good job this year especially after losing Ashley. That doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes in games. For the record I think Alford blew the Florida game sitting Kyle Anderson so long in the 2nd half and then taking Powell off Wilbekin, it was the critical run of the game all because of those 2 decisions. I've said it repeatedly on UCLA boards. I think Alford did a solid job coaching this year, but blew those decisions and it ended any slim chance UCLA had of winning(they were down 3 when he took Kyle out).

In the Wisconsin game Miller made IMO a major mistake sticking with York, yes he's been better than Pitts or Mayes all year, but he wasn't doing a thing in THAT game. It wasn't like other players were getting good shots because York was on the court, he was a liability the whole time he was out there. He could have gone big with 2 guards, Tarc, Gordon and RHJ, or he could have gone experience with mayes(a better defender) or gone with a kid who played quite well once he started playing this year in Pitts.

Doing a good job overall does not exempt a coach from making mistakes within a given game, IMO playing York that long was one of the main reasons UA lost.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No idea if true or if it can ever be verified but interesting about Byron Wesley and USC. He announced yesterday he was going to graduate early and transfer for his senior year. Apparently didn't see eye to eye with gap tooth. Said he was a Trojan for life, fight on, and then promptly contacted UCLA about transferring.

UCLA did some checking and were apparently informed the Pac 12 has a rule preventing graduate transfer from transferring within the conference, and they notified Wesley. He's now rumored to be looking at indiana and Michigan with UNLV trying to get involved.

Again no idea how true it was, yesterday both USC and UCLA sites were reporting it. Would have been hilarious for Enfield, all his bluster last year and his best player would have transferred to the city rival where he would have gone from leading scorer, to 6th or 7th man.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Stoudamire became the favorite for the OSU job now that Howland has withdrawn his name. No idea why, I have no idea why Ben was an apparent favorite in the first place he's just damaged goods on the West coast right now.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see why Howland is being picky. Not like any major programs are kicking down his door to hire him.

I'm not sure it was actually his call. I'm suspicious that after the SI story and then what happened at Oregon with the 3 kids booted, that OSU alums didn't just get cold feet about going forward with Ben.

I also feel his people are leaking his name on jobs so he can then leak he turned the job down to make it appear there's more interest in him than there actually is.

I think he needs to either look East, or wait longer to get a good WC job. The stink isn't off him yet on the West Coast.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I think he needs to either look East, or wait longer to get a good WC job. The stink isn't off him yet on the West Coast.
The longer you wait the harder it will be to get hired though. He's turning 57 here soon and those Final Fours keep getting smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The longer you wait the harder it will be to get hired though. He's turning 57 here soon and those Final Fours keep getting smaller and smaller in the rearview mirror.

Allegedly he asked for 2 million per and a high salary for his assistants and OSU balked but again it smells to me like leaked information from an agent to again make it seem like Ben had the job if he wanted it and backed off. Who knows.

Ben is making good money to not coach right now but I agree at some point he's going to have to take another job if he wants to coach. I just get the impression he's going to have to take one "below" what he wants and then prove himself.

Everyone knows he can coach, he just has to prove he can do all the other stuff or hire the right assistants to do it for him to avoid what happened to him at UCLA.

Right now he seems to be quite good at leaking information that boosts his image, he apparently has told several people he had silent verbals from Stanley Johnson and Jordan McLaughlin to UCLA and that if UCLA had not fired him, he would have cleaned up in California in 14 and 15. I don't buy it but those are the kinds of things you can say when you're not working.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
OSU hired Wayne Tinkle from Montana

LOL you said Tinkle.

He won in Montana, but the $64 question will be how well can he recruit? Whole different beast than that desolate area of the upper midwest.

OSU hasn't been relevant since the Gary Payton days, so he has history working against him. Perhaps he can poach a few of the 400 players who want to transfer.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like OSU's strategy is becoming more obvious. Hire Tinkle hope you get his son. They just hired Stephen Thompson Sr(ex Syracuse player) and are now the likely destination for his 2 sons.

I guess the idea is not new but seems like to work better than hiring Obama's brother in law did.