UA & Pac-12 Basketball Thread

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Need to keep the pressure on in second half.. how was that not a foul at the end of the first half?!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch a ton of college basketball besides Arizona games, but I've really enjoyed watching Kyle Anderson the few times I've seen him. You've seen him a lot Russ, what do you think of him now and at the next level? I'm thinking about one of the Suns picks in the late teens. What do you and anyone else think?

Not sure how he fits the NBA, he's not a good defender. UCLA hides him but in the NBA that's hard to do. He's a terrific kid, great passer, rebounds well, but I don't see him playing anything but forward in the NBA so he'll have to get stronger.

Really improved his shooting this year. He's gone his dad has said so all year. For him defense is the key, it's going to limit how much he plays in the NBA.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Need to keep the pressure on in second half.. how was that not a foul at the end of the first half?!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

There were several odd calls in that game. Gordon goes flying into a stationary defender, the shot comes up short, an airball, Gordon catches it goes up and gets fouled. Teh announcer started to ask it, how is that not a violation he caught his own shot and the defender didn't touch it.

Then the over and back call that clearly was kicked by a UA player.

But yeah Nick clearly got fouled at the end of the half. Gonzaga's bigs were terrible, people are all over Stockton but many of those turnovers were good passes that the bigs made into turnovers by not sealing their man. Gordon just sat behind his man, waited for the pass and ran around and deflected it, a good post protects the passer by sealing. Got to where I felt sorry for Stockton, teammates made him look bad last night. That was the most impressive win I saw this weekend, I didn't see Baylor. It's not a great Gonzaga team but they're very well coached, to never even be in the game was a surprise, they were completely dismantled.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And now the story I've been expecting for over a season now. UCLA could face vacating wins from last year because of Shabazz.

Apparently his dad testified under oath to the FBI that he took out a loan and used Bazz' future NBA earnings as collateral. He told the FBI this one year ago, it just came out in court docs now. He claims neither Bazz nor UCLA knew but I don't think that matters, if he did that it voided Bazz' eligibility and UCLA will vacate all the wins.

UCLA says they're well aware of it and immediately reported it to the NCAA and the Pac 12 as soon as they found out, not clear when that was.

I don't think they can get a Corey Maggette exception here because he took money before he got to Duke, Ron Holmes did this while Bazz was at UCLA.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't watch any games when Ashley was healthy...he had to be a HUGE difference maker because the games I've watched recently, I can't figure out how this team beats anyone decent with this trainwreck of an offense.

Catlover

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I didn't watch any games when Ashley was healthy...he had to be a HUGE difference maker because the games I've watched recently, I can't figure out how this team beats anyone decent with this trainwreck of an offense.

It's not always a train wreck. When Nick Johnson is on it's more like a single car accident. This team wins on the strength of it's defense. Unfortunately you're at the mercy of the refs when you have as little depth as the Cats do. Every team gets bad calls but when you only have 6 players you have no margin for error.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was a 2 hour heart attack... followed by the a sensation similar to the afterglow.

My back hurts.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Having the Nation's best defense is the difference maker, which has been the constant all season long. The most this team has allowed was 75, which was against a UCLA team that scores over 90 ppg. The Ashley injury is yesterdays news. The team has acclimated and sustained its high level of play.

As for our "train wreck" offense, scoring 70 against SDSU, which only allows 57 ppg, is a feather in our cap. It's not great, but it's sufficient given how stout the defense is. Florida scores less than us, but plays similar defense, and they're also in the Elite 8 and eventually Final Four when they beat Dayton.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having the Nation's best defense is the difference maker, which has been the constant all season long. The most this team has allowed was 75, which was against a UCLA team that scores over 90 ppg. The Ashley injury is yesterdays news. The team has acclimated and sustained its high level of play.

As for our "train wreck" offense, scoring 70 against SDSU, which only allows 57 ppg, is a feather in our cap. It's not great, but it's sufficient given how stout the defense is. Florida scores less than us, but plays similar defense, and they're also in the Elite 8 and eventually Final Four when they beat Dayton.

Can't win if you can't score. That loss hurt. I hope they never play at Anaheim ever again.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Tough loss. Lack of inside defense hurt.

Close, exciting game though.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't sit down that entire second half. It was such a great game and it was one of those that you didn't want to end. Both teams matched up well and fitting the game came down to one last shot (and Johnson being that) at the end. Hate to see U of A lose.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I just can't believe the last play they ran. Why take it out away from the basket? That play was a play that would have worked with 5 seconds on the clock, not 2.3.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't believe the last play they ran. Why take it out away from the basket? That play was a play that would have worked with 5 seconds on the clock, not 2.3.

Precisely!!! Dumb, dumb call. even had he hit the shot, it wouldn't have counted.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2 of the last 3 plays were baffling. Nick JOhnson has been ice at the end of games all year but Miller calls a play for McConnell? then they get it back and Nick takes it but gets the pushoff called. Then they get the ball back again after an inconclusive replay is overturned on a physics quiz(the ball appeared to change motion) and then they don't even get a shot?

Considering they lost Ashley they did a remarkable job to regroup and get that far but then they're not exactly berefect of talent, 3 first round picks starting up front(if Tarc waits a year) and a 2nd rounder in Nick. McConnell is a solid PG.

Tough loss but they had a terrific year. The rioting is just ridiculous.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
21-0 with Ashley. 12-5 without him. We just weren't a great team anymore after he went down. Good news is the Cats will be as good if not better next season even with Gordon and NJ likely gone.

And yeah, I'd rather get shipped out East than ever play a game in that arena again.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
21-0 with Ashley. 12-5 without him. We just weren't a great team anymore after he went down. Good news is the Cats will be as good if not better next season even with Gordon and NJ likely gone.

And yeah, I'd rather get shipped out East than ever play a game in that arena again.

Hard to say we weren't great when we were one basket away from the Final Four, but I get what you're saying; we could've been the front runner to win it all.

Also, don't be surprised if Jefferson declares along with Gordon and NJ. There are strong indications that he's going pro. While that would hurt our depth, we have so much coming in that we'll still be the prohibitive favorites to win the conference.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hard to say we weren't great when we were one basket away from the Final Four, but I get what you're saying; we could've been the front runner to win it all.

Also, don't be surprised if Jefferson declares along with Gordon and NJ. There are strong indications that he's going pro. While that would hurt our depth, we have so much coming in that we'll still be the prohibitive favorites to win the conference.
We probably only lose 1-2 games all season with Ashley. He helped our floor spacing on offense, made his FT's, and could guard the versatile 5's that Zeus can't such as Kaminsky. Not easy to lose a first round draft pick and there not be somewhat of a downgrade.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We probably only lose 1-2 games all season with Ashley. He helped our floor spacing on offense, made his FT's, and could guard the versatile 5's that Zeus can't such as Kaminsky. Not easy to lose a first round draft pick and there not be somewhat of a downgrade.

He certainly gave you better depth. I would argue you were MUCH better defensively with RHJ in there than Ashley, he could guard college 5's at times yes, but RHJ is just a special defensive player.

I know Miller was worried about floor spacing and that's why he started York but I would argue York was the reason you're not still playing. In the tournament he averaged 28 MPG, and scored a total of 28 points. He had only 4 against SDSU and only 1 against Wisconsin and that was a gift FT on a bad call that led to Bo Ryan getting a T for arguing the call. You actually got more offense out of Pitts and Mayes in like 12 minutes combined than out of York and they're both better defenders than him. Not sure why Miller stayed with him in the Wisconsin game 29 minutes only 2 shots, no 3 attempts, if he's not making 3's to space the floor he's not helping your team

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
He certainly gave you better depth. I would argue you were MUCH better defensively with RHJ in there than Ashley, he could guard college 5's at times yes, but RHJ is just a special defensive player.

I know Miller was worried about floor spacing and that's why he started York but I would argue York was the reason you're not still playing. In the tournament he averaged 28 MPG, and scored a total of 28 points. He had only 4 against SDSU and only 1 against Wisconsin and that was a gift FT on a bad call that led to Bo Ryan getting a T for arguing the call. You actually got more offense out of Pitts and Mayes in like 12 minutes combined than out of York and they're both better defenders than him. Not sure why Miller stayed with him in the Wisconsin game 29 minutes only 2 shots, no 3 attempts, if he's not making 3's to space the floor he's not helping your team
Because we were struggling to score and York is a much better offensive player than Mayes and Pitts?

And we're all pretty bored at the not so subtle digs at Miller's coaching acumen. I think about every person in the world not in Tempe or Westwood would say he's proven he's pretty damn good.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson