Trade deadline 2023

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
not sure why you think he has limited potential…. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the end of this year.
We're roughly halfway through the season and have barely seen him in the lineup. Pretty much the definition of limited potential in season one, like I said. I hate red-shirt rookie seasons. Helps defeat the cost-controlled benefit of draft picks.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both things can be true. They can both really hope Kyler takes the reins and also have hedged their bets since March in case he doesn't/can't.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gannon in particular wished we'd been more aggressive in free agency last season knowing that the team could've maybe stolen a couple more wins and been in the hunt when Kyler was ready to go.

Whats the edge against? Did Kyler forget how to play QB? All the talk in practice is that he looks great.

It's a done deal. The only way we might draft a QB is if Kyler hurts himself badly again when he returns, and even then it's not for certain.

Doing more in FA would have been dumb. We still would have had Dobbs at QB. A couple of mid tier FA's with the $10m we have left in cap space isn't overcoming that.

Stout

Reaction score
Whats the edge against? Did Kyler forget how to play QB? All the talk in practice is that he looks great.

It's a done deal. The only way we might draft a QB is if Kyler hurts himself badly again when he returns, and even then it's not for certain.

Doing more in FA would have been dumb. We still would have had Dobbs at QB. A couple of mid tier FA's with the $10m we have left in cap space isn't overcoming that.
Another way is if Kyler sucks donkey balls--which I don't think will happen and surely hope doesn't. If he's at least competent the rest of the way, it will bode really well for the Cards moving forward.

As to the rest--your opinion is only an opinion, not a fact.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another way is if Kyler sucks donkey balls--which I don't think will happen and surely hope doesn't. If he's at least competent the rest of the way, it will bode really well for the Cards moving forward.

As to the rest--your opinion is only an opinion, not a fact.

Of course it's only an opinion, but it's a more sensible opinion than "We might have won a couple more games with Dobbs had we spent the remaining 4% of cap space".

Less in fact, because teams always keep some back for in season roster replacements.

If we could somehow squeeze Javon Hargrave and James Bradberry in for about $7m combined then maybe...

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I imagine he was referring to the impact of the player, which has been small due to pre-draft injury. Which is perfectly valid. Some of us didn't want redshirt freshman players.
Williams was only available in the third because of his injury. He is a much better player than that.

Stout

Reaction score
Wouldn't that mean he sits out for the entire year?
Okay, mostly redshirt year. He's lost a great deal of developmental time and has barely played. For a team in need of cost-controlled players, that is significant. I get that people like having a better player at a lower pick, but that is the negative you give up to get said player.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Okay, mostly redshirt year. He's lost a great deal of developmental time and has barely played. For a team in need of cost-controlled players, that is significant. I get that people like having a better player at a lower pick, but that is the negative you give up to get said player.
I'd rather have a better player for 3 and a half years than a lesser player for 4, especially in a tank year. It would be different if Murray wasn't out for a big chunk of the season.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Meh, even BA admittedly didn't give rookies much playing time until after Thanksgiving, because he thought they weren't ready...and it didn't matter where they were drafted, if they came in injured, or were stars in college. He usually limited them for quite a bit of their rookie years.

Stout

Reaction score
Meh, even BA admittedly didn't give rookies much playing time until after Thanksgiving, because he thought they weren't ready...and it didn't matter where they were drafted, if they came in injured, or were stars in college. He usually limited them for quite a bit of their rookie years.
Which doesn't work in the modern NFL. Just ask Tomlin, who keeps stepping on his own member with rookies. His 1st round OT has been on the bench. Comes in for one game, finally, ignites the running game, and very well might be on the bench for one of the worst OTs in the league again. Just stupid.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Which doesn't work in the modern NFL. Just ask Tomlin, who keeps stepping on his own member with rookies. His 1st round OT has been on the bench. Comes in for one game, finally, ignites the running game, and very well might be on the bench for one of the worst OTs in the league again. Just stupid.
Rookies have to play for bad to mediocre teams.

Stout

Reaction score
Rookies have to play for bad to mediocre teams.
Rookies have to play for bad to abysmal offenses and secondaries too. They have a historically bad offense and a really bad set of CBs, so of course they have kept their #1 and #2 picks on OL and at CB largely on the bench, and suffered for it. As my Stiller fan friends always say, they are the worst winning team in football.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I pretty much watch every NFL replay each week. That’s what retired people do lol. The Bears D has really turned the corner & will be a handful come Sunday. And they will probably run all over us too. What, at one time, looked like a possible W on the schedule, doesn’t anymore.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson