U of Wisconsin: Tucker Selected in First Round

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sport_news/mbb/headlines/story.html?sportid=116&storyid=11202

Tucker Selected in First Round

MADISON, Wis.

Former Wisconsin Badger Alando Tucker was selected by the Phoenix Suns with the 29th pick in the first round of Thursday night’s NBA Draft. Tucker is the seventh Badger to be picked in the first round, and the second in the last four years (Devin Harris was picked fifth overall in 2004).

“I think I bring a defensive mentality and a disciplined game from playing under Coach Ryan,” Tucker said. “When I worked out for Phoenix I was able to show them that I could run the floor and finish well and fit in to their style of play.”

Tucker joins former Badger football player Joe Thomas and incoming UW hockey players Kyle Turris, Ryan McDonagh and Brendan Smith as first-round draft choices this year.

Tucker, the Big Ten Player of the Year, was a consensus first-team All-American in 2007. He won the Lowe’s Senior CLASS award as the nation’s top senior and was a finalist for every major national Player of the Year Award. He finished his career as UW’s all-time leading scorer with 2,217 points.

Tucker joins former Badgers Michael Finley and Devin Harris in the NBA. Finley, who was also selected by Phoenix in the first round (21st overall in 1995), just finished his 12th professional season, winning the NBA title as a member of the San Antonio Spurs. Harris, started 60 games for the Dallas Mavericks this season, which finished with the best regular-season record in the league.

“Going to a winning organization like the Phoenix Suns is a perfect fit for Alando,” UW head coach Bo Ryan said. “Between Phoenix, San Antonio and Dallas those are three great programs in the Western Conference that would thrill a college coach to see their players go to. They are proven winners and first-rate organizations.”

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0628suns0629.html

Suns sell pick, choose Tucker

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 28, 2007 10:56 PM
Suns fans might be uninspired after a draft night that had so much buildup with talks of trades for Kevin Garnett and a top-10 pick.

But Alando Tucker and the Suns aren't. They're thrilled.

Tucker, an athletic, 6-foot-6, 205-pound forward from Wisconsin who was Big Ten Player of the Year, was the night's first-round prize for Phoenix, which added more toughness by drafting Maryland combo guard D.J. Strawberry (son of former baseball star Darryl) in the second round.
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')

The Suns' pursuit of Charlotte's No. 8 pick, where Phoenix would have grabbed Florida power forward Joakim Noah, crashed before the draft started when the Bobcats told the Suns they had a better offer. Phoenix threw options at Charlotte, one with its No. 24 pick and the 2008 Atlanta pick that it owns, and another more convoluted one involving Kurt Thomas.

"We made a great offer," Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said. "It definitely surprised us (to be turned down)."

Charlotte acquired Jason Richardson and draftee Jermareo Davidson from Golden State for the eighth pick, North Carolina's Brandan Wright.

That left Phoenix to find value in its spots at Nos. 24 and 29. Kerr said the Suns felt strongly about three or four players in that range but began to worry that two would be gone, especially after Italian shooter Marco Belinelli went 18th.

At that point, the Suns sold the 24th pick to Portland for $3 million, the second consecutive year the Trail Blazers bought a first-round pick from Phoenix to acquire a Spanish guard (Sergio Rodriguez last year, Rudy Fernandez this year). It also was the fifth consecutive first-round pick that Phoenix had traded or sold in the past four drafts.

But at No. 29, the Suns added Tucker, their first first-round player since acquiring Leandro Barbosa in 2003. Tucker, 23, averaged 19.9 points and 5.4 rebounds as a fifth-year senior in the Badgers' methodical system. His 39-inch vertical leap and play in workouts has shown he can fit a high-paced style if his shooting improves.

"We were really fired up to get Alando where we did because he was one of those guys," said Kerr, referring to the players Phoenix prioritized. "We think he's going to be a big addition. He's tough. He's a winner. He's a guy with a lot of experience - life experience and college experience. He's been part of a winning team, so he's coachable.

"He's a fantastic kid. We think he's going to fit in terms of our foundation and character. He's athletic. He's strong. He can guard a couple different positions."

Tucker was in New York but not at draft headquarters when he got the call from Phoenix.

"It was the greatest feeling, because I'd been out there twice and everyone - coaching staff to management to the janitors - showed me the most respect, so I'm excited to be on my way out there," Tucker said.

"There's so much that goes with that (first-round distinction). I didn't really worry too much about where I got picked. I just wanted to get picked in the right situation. I feel this is the perfect place for me."

Suns coach Mike D'Antoni emphasized Tucker's character.

"He has some NBA skills that are definable," said D'Antoni, comparing him to Raja Bell or Greg Buckner. "He is tough. He can really finish at the basket. He runs like a deer and jumps out of the gym."

There was a time D'Antoni said he considered Strawberry a first-round talent.

Kerr said he spent the second round trying to trade up to get the 6-foot-5, 201-pound Strawberry, known for his defense.

Strawberry could make a roster that must carry 13 players but has 11 under contract, counting Tucker's two-year, $1.6 million contract and Thomas, who was not dealt.

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Well if youre going to start a new thread just to paste long news articles at least highlight the sections worth reading

Besides, news articles are meant to be buried. :)

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As much as I hated the draft and as much as I didn't really want Tucker and as much as I don't think he'll contribute, I hope he proves me wrong. If he turns into Josh Howard without the mental errors I'm all for it. I jsut don't see it happening.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As much as I hated the draft and as much as I didn't really want Tucker and as much as I don't think he'll contribute, I hope he proves me wrong. If he turns into Josh Howard without the mental errors I'm all for it. I jsut don't see it happening.

I posted some Tucker videos on the Tucker Thread. They are not kidding when they describe him as a super athlete.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92767&page=4

Here's the Suns.com article

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/jag_2007_draft.html

Suns Select Tucker and Strawberry in Thursday’s NBA Draft

By Josh Greene, Suns.com
Posted: June 28, 2007
A minor quad injury quickly shut down forward Alando Tucker’s second pre-draft workout for the Suns Tuesday.

Fortunately, the first one was more than enough to win over Phoenix.

With a Wisconsin-best 2,217 career points, Badgers forward Alando Tucker is headed to Phoenix after being drafted by the Suns Thursday.
(Courtesy of University of Wisconsin)

The defending Pacific Division Champions selected Wisconsin’s all-time leading scorer with the 29th pick in Thursday’s NBA Draft. A Big Ten Player of the Year in his senior season, Tucker also left Head Coach Bo Ryan’s program as the Badgers’ single-season scoring leader and topped the school’s career points leader, breaking fellow alum and former Sun Michael Finley’s scoring mark.
Averaging 19.9 points, 5.4 rebounds and two assists in 36 games for Wisconsin last year, the 6-6 forward was named a First Team All-American by The Associated Press and was also a finalist for the Naismith Trophy as the national player of the year.

“Once I (found out) that I was going to Phoenix, it was the greatest feeling,” said Tucker via conference call Thursday night. “I’m excited to be out there. I was able to work out there the first time, and they were impressed with my resume and the things I have to offer.

“This is one of the places I was really hoping I could land, and it worked out for the best.”

With their list of player favorites narrowing quickly, the Suns opted to send the draft rights to No. 24 pick Rudy Fernandez to Portland for cash considerations, before selecting Tucker a few minutes later with the 29th pick. After a week of swirling rumors involving everything from possible blockbuster trades to trying to move up in the draft, Phoenix ultimately decided to free up the finances to help keep together the core group that won 61 games last season.

"If we could have gotten two out of the five players we had targeted (in the first round), we would have kept 24," President of Basketball Operations and GM Steve Kerr said. "Since the list narrowed down, we just didn’t feel good about taking two people. So we decided to move one and keep the other with thoughts on free agency.

“We also had to evaluate at 24 and 29 what would we get. We loved three or four different people in that range, so we were really fired up to get Alando where we did, because he is one of those guys we think is going to be a big addition. He is a winner. He’s a guy with a lot of life and college experience. We think he’ll be a huge addition in terms of our foundation and character as a team. He’s athletic, strong and can guard a few different positions. We’re happy with that.”

While Tucker only got a quick taste of it in the pre-draft workouts, the 23-year-old is confident he can fit into the Suns’ up-tempo style come Opening Night.

“I’m a fast break sort of player,” he said. “I finish plays. When you’re a player playing behind Steve Nash, Raja Bell and even Leandro Barbosa – guys who make decisions on the break – it’s great to have a finisher like myself. I’m confident once I get the ball, I can put it in the basket.”

The holder of seven other Wisconsin records, including games played, starts, minutes, field goals, free throws and attempts, and offensive rebounds, Tucker is no stranger to putting in the time to improve himself and help make his team better – even a team coming off three straight division crowns.

“Once you step on the basketball court, you are all equals,” he said. “It’s all about how hard you work. I’m going to work as hard as I can to get on the floor and do things to help my team win.”

With their second-round selection, the Suns took Maryland guard D.J. Strawberry with the 59th overall pick. The 6-5, 201-pound guard blossomed in his senior season posting career bests in scoring (14.9 ppg), rebounding (4.4 rpg) and steals (2 spg) in 34 games played, and earned All-ACC Second Team and ACC Defensive Team honors.

Son of former Major League Baseball player Darryl Strawberry, the 22-year old tested as the best athlete at the Orlando Pre-Draft camp earlier this month.

“It was surprising he was still (available), because we had him up there pretty high,” Suns Head Coach Mike D’Antoni said. “We’re pretty happy with him. At one point at (picks) 24 or 29, I thought he might come into play.
“It was a very fruitful night, and that’s good.”

Wisconsin's Loss Is Phoenix's Gain
Since taking the helm in 2002, Wisconsin Head Coach Bo Ryan has seen plenty of players come through his program, but Alando Tucker is easily one of the most talented. Between setting school records in multiple categories, the forward also made his mark as a team leader. That makes the Badgers’ coach a bit sorry to see his star pupil leave, but more than happy to him go to the Valley as a Sun.

“Alando can attack the basket, score inside and get fouled,” Ryan told Suns.com. “He shot more free throws than anybody in the history of Wisconsin because he just has that ability to draw contact and get to the hole. He also improved on the perimeter, and he’s going to do even more of that in the NBA because of guys like Steve Nash that can create. That’s where Alando will really thrive. I think the Suns are a great team for him to be drafted by.”

Ryan talked to an emotional Tucker after he was selected by Phoenix Thursday night, and stresses that Suns fans will soon get to enjoy the same game from the youngster that’s entertained Badgers’ fans for four-plus seasons in Madison. “You will love him,” the Wisconsin coach said. “You will absolutely love him. He will become one of the most popular players and people in your city. Trust me. He is that kind of guy. He is genuine. All he knows is he’s happy to be doing what he’s doing. He appreciates the fact that he is healthy enough and talented enough to be able to do something that he likes. And it’s all for real.”

Last edited:

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tucker broke both of Finley's records that he hold for U of Wisconsin in points scored and vertical leap.

Wasn't Finley injured in college? I didn't really follow him but I thought that was why he slipped.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wasn't Finley injured in college? I didn't really follow him but I thought that was why he slipped.

It sounded like he had some sort of operation last summer, but looks fine in those videos.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard