Tyrann Mathieu: "No way I'm taking a pay cut."

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Per MJ. Honey Badger thinks there will be a high market for him if the Cardinals release him.

If BA remains the HC, BA will most likely want the Cardinals to honor HB's contract, because of the bond BA has with the Honey Badger. If the Cardinals pay him the $5M roster bonus in March, HB will count $14.1M on the cap for the next 3 years (2018, 2019, 2020) and $9.5M in 2021. That's a grand total of $51.8M for 4 years.

If the Cardinals do not elect to pay HB his bonus, the dead money on the cap is $9.2M. The Cardinals have paid HB $21.7M in cash the past two years (while only counting $4.4M + $8.1M = $12.5M combined on the cap for the past 2 years...and neither year, because of injuries and tentative play has been a good year (by relative standards) for HB on the field.

The problem is...he's starting at FS...but he's not a true centerfielder. FS is not his natural position. His forte has been as a nickel CB, but he has been struggling more than in the past in that role the past two seasons. He's still a pesky blitzer off the edge, but has lost some of the explosion he displayed a few years ago which allowed him to be consistently disruptive.

Mathieu continues to insist that when healthy he's the best defensive player in the NFL.

Is he correct in assuming there will be a high market for him elsewhere?

Any team that offers him a high end salary will be taking a risk. His play on film the past two years would suggest that he is not nearly the player he was back in 2015 before his 2nd ACL injury.

This scenario seems like a no-brainer for the Cardinals. If HB refuses to take a pay cut, then he wants out of Arizona. he has to be delusional to think at his current level of play he's worthy of $14.1M a year.

When Honey Badger was at his best in 2015, he was worth the money, and boy oh boy was he exciting to watch Will he ever return to form and be the real Honey Badger again? I think there is a slight chance, but not with the current coaching staff. Not with BA as HC and James Bettcher as DC. if HB winds up with a HC and DC who create a tougher culture and higher standards on the defensive side of the ball---like in Seattle or Los Angeles, he could be rejuvenated. But the thought of him playing well for one of our NFC West foes is agonizing.

What do you think the Cardinals should do?

This one is tough to decide, isn't it?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think Honey Badger's play has anything to do with the coaching. IMO he never has come back to where he was from his two major knee injuries. I feel that if he doesn't take a pay cut he should be released. He is no longer an impact player.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I don't think Honey Badger's play has anything to do with the coaching. IMO he never has come back to where he was from his two major knee injuries. I feel that if he doesn't take a pay cut he should be released. He is no longer an impact player.

Here's why I believe it does:

1. The coaches are playing HB out of position when they play him at FS.
2. When Patrick Peterson can get paid top money and be excused for playing soft, why can't the Badger? This is a regrettable part of the culture on defense now in Arizona. Except, thank goodness, no one has sent that message to Budda Baker and Antoine Bethea who have been saving PP's and HB's butts.
3. Honey Badger has never had a great speed, but he is a pro's pro at playing with leverage, uncanny anticipation and quick closing bursts. This year, because of his expanded role and how exposed he is in space as a FS it has affected his overall confidence.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I wish he would take the pay cut.

I think that a new HC and DC who offer a refreshing change in leadership and direction could persuade HB (and others) to compromise for the sake of the team.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t care if he stays or walks. He may be out of position but his injuries make him expendable. Basically we need a new team.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Can always re-structure to make it more cap friendly rather than forcing a pay cut. He's not worth 14mil/year at all.

Reaction score
Mathieu continues to insist that when healthy he's the best defensive player in the NFL.

Continues? You make it sound like he's going around bragging that he's the best D guy in the NFL & that's not the case. He was being interviewed & stated that when he's on the field he feels like he's the best defensive player in the NFL. I want my D guys to have that confidence. Would you rather he stated ''when I'm on the field I feel like I'm the most average D player in the NFL''? Come on Mitch.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I think that a new HC and DC who offer a refreshing change in leadership and direction could persuade HB (and others) to compromise for the sake of the team.

i dont

the same swag that has made him so effective on the field is the same thing that wont let him accept a pay cut -- even if the reduced pay is higher than he could get in the market

you see this over and over in the NFL: for some players, its far easier on the ego to accept lower money elsehwere than the same lower money from your current team

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i dont

the same swag that has made him so effective on the field is the same thing that wont let him accept a pay cut -- even if the reduced pay is higher than he could get in the market

you see this over and over in the NFL: for some players, its far easier on the ego to accept lower money elsehwere than the same lower money from your current team

I will add this: in the event he rejects re-working the deal to be more in line with his play:

its proof no good deed goes unpunished. Keim gave him that deal while he was in the middle of re-habbing a second ACL injury. i would think HB would have a modicum of appreciation for that

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

2. When Patrick Peterson can get paid top money and be excused for playing soft, why can't the Badger? This is a regrettable part of the culture on defense now in Arizona. Except, thank goodness, no one has sent that message to Budda Baker and Antoine Bethea who have been saving PP's and HB's butts.

Now Baker and Bethea are saving Peterson? Hawt take.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
HB no longer flashes on the field. I might see one play a game where I'm like "nice play HB", other then that he's been fairly mediocre the past 2 seasons.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I just posted a crazy thread and suggested we should trade him....saints

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i dont

the same swag that has made him so effective on the field is the same thing that won't let him accept a pay cut -- even if the reduced pay is higher than he could get in the market

you see this over and over in the NFL: for some players, it's far easier on the ego to accept lower money elsewhere than the same lower money from your current team

Precisely.

He's received $21m + and doesn't have to bend.

If push comes to shove, he'll take an incentive-laden deal somewhere else and the Cards will be left with a major CAP hit.

Prediction: team goes forward with the Badger and deals with his contract, if necessary, after the 2018 season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Precisely.

He's received $21m + and doesn't have to bend.

If push comes to shove, he'll take an incentive-laden deal somewhere else and the Cards will be left with a major CAP hit.

Prediction: team goes forward with the Badger and deals with his contract, if necessary, after the 2018 season.
the structure of the contract is set so they need to deal with it before March 1st 2018

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Carson, Fitz, and Arians are a package deal, and have one more year with us. Badger depends on the advice he gets from his agent.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lol... no. You’re living in a dream world if you think A guy with an ego like HB, who’s as young as he is isn’t “comprising” his money for the sake of anything when he still believes he’s worth that.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

3. Honey Badger has never had a great speed, but he is a pro's pro at playing with leverage, uncanny anticipation and quick closing bursts. This year, because of his expanded role and how exposed he is in space as a FS it has affected his overall confidence.

I just don't buy the PP angle. Yes PP doesn't play the run as well as I wish he would but he still blankets the other teams best WR most games.

HB is a shadow of his former self, I hope he gets more speed and quickness back but honestly it doesn't look like he's going to. he's a tough guy and a baller but he's simply not nearly as good as he used to be and he's not close to PP. He's vastly overpaid if he stays on his current contract at his current level of performance.

nobody wants him back to being the Honey Badger more than I do, but so far I see very little suggesting that's going to happen.

I also don't agree he's never been fast, he's never been PP fast but he ran a 4.43 40 at the NFL combine, he was a fast player before the injuries. Add in his instincts and his quickness and he played fast, now he doesn't

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Your troll level on Peterson is just becoming sad I honestly don't know if your joking or serious

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I said when he signed it was a bad contract you have to think with your head and not heart. He's never going to be the same and that sucks but it's reality.

Baker is the future and you have to cut him if he doesn't want to take a pay cut

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Bye HB....

Still capable of making a play here and there, but he's usually 5-7 yards behind whoever he covers.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard