Tyrann Mathieu: "No way I'm taking a pay cut."

Reaction score
He’s gonna need a breakout season with a new system, teammates, in a new city/conference to score his next big contract.

Tony Jefferson had a disappointing season with his new team the Ravens.

Yet some people on here acted like we let a pro bowler walk when he left last year.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
" It's not all about money for me," Mathieu told TheMMB.com's Albert Breer this week. "I want to go somewhere where I can be completely immersed in football, and it's not too much about anything but winning -- I want to be a part of winning culture, where you feel that all the time. That's all I want."

And, it turns out, Mathieu reportedly took less money to play with the Texans, a team that struggled last year but will be dark-horse candidates to challenge the Jaguars in the division with the return of its two franchise players: Deshaun Watson and J.J. Watts, two players who missed most of last season with injuries. The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers tweeted Saturday morning that the Cardinals were willing to pay Mathieu $8 million next season and he declined to sign with the Texans."

What say you now?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That sucks considering we have nothing except Fitz. Although I don't think he's a 2, he's a 3 for sure.

Even with Jaron we have nothing other than Fitz at WR! Look at it this way, let's say this is your poker hand:

Fitz
Jaron Brown
JJ Nelson
Chad Williams
Brittan Golden

That's one face card and a bunch of 1s and 2s. Yeah, I'm keeping 1 card there. I'd be turning in the 4 others.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
" It's not all about money for me," Mathieu told TheMMB.com's Albert Breer this week. "I want to go somewhere where I can be completely immersed in football, and it's not too much about anything but winning -- I want to be a part of winning culture, where you feel that all the time. That's all I want."

And, it turns out, Mathieu reportedly took less money to play with the Texans, a team that struggled last year but will be dark-horse candidates to challenge the Jaguars in the division with the return of its two franchise players: Deshaun Watson and J.J. Watts, two players who missed most of last season with injuries. The Arizona Republic's Kent Somers tweeted Saturday morning that the Cardinals were willing to pay Mathieu $8 million next season and he declined to sign with the Texans."

What say you now?

I wish Mathieu had said this before the Cardinals paid him all this money.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He felt jilted. I posted about this a week or two ago. Sometimes people get all emotional and make bad decisions. Honey Badger is a very emotional person.

His pride and/or agent screwed him.

When stuff like this happens, sometimes a person gets pissed off and decides they would rather just go play somewhere else. Offended at the thought of a restructure. He just learned a hard lesson.

He should of let cooler heads prevail and taken the restructure. His agent should of warned him. Maybe he did and HB didn't listen.

The whole thing is silly too because it isn’t like this was without warning. His contract was structured like it was for this very reason. He knew this was possible all along and was basically giving the warning 2 years ago and told that it was done to protect the team AND pay him. His whole reaction was childish and basically in the face of what the team tried to do to prevent the same reaction.

I am willing to bet he ignored his agents advice. I love the kid and always will, but this was a really stubborn and stupid move to make. Now if he gets hurt again this year he will have cost himself millions and like not ever get a big contract again.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well, technically half his statement is true, it wasn't about money because he took less. Maybe he feels HOU can be good next year, but he ain't going to a winning culture. Point is he thought he would garner a lot of interest and we don't know details like how many teams contacted him or if $7M was the best offer but the way this offseason played out for him should take his ego down a notch as he is going to a 4 win team and taking a pay cut in the process. So he "ain't taking a pay cut in ARZ but will anywhere else" should have been his statement.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, technically half his statement is true, it wasn't about money because he took less. Maybe he feels HOU can be good next year, but he ain't going to a winning culture. Point is he thought he would garner a lot of interest and we don't know details like how many teams contacted him or if $7M was the best offer but the way this offseason played out for him should take his ego down a notch as he is going to a 4 win team and taking a pay cut in the process. So he "ain't taking a pay cut in ARZ but will anywhere else" should have been his statement.
"Winning culture" ?

2017 Texans 4-12.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how it was about money and now it’s not about money. I will miss the old TM and what he did on the field.

Times change. Good riddance!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Maybe we did offer more for next year, but the restructure offered no more years, or no more guarantees. Who knows? I would guess one thing, and that's that the restructure would have eliminated the next two years of being guaranteed.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
One thing people have not seem to bring up, Houston is really not that far from Baton Rouge. I do not know if it's wise for him to be that close to what where bad influences in proximity to him... just a thought and for him I hope not

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing people have not seem to bring up, Houston is really not that far from Baton Rouge. I do not know if it's wise for him to be that close to what where bad influences in proximity to him... just a thought and for him I hope not
Agree that this could be a concern for him. Hopefully for him he is past all that. He had PP here as a mentor to look up to for a safety net.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson