Trade rumors

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LA Times had a story today with Randy going to the Angles in exchange for for C Jeff Mathis and either 3B Dallas McPherson or 1B Casey Kotchman.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
LA Times had a story today with Randy going to the Angles in exchange for for C Jeff Mathis and either 3B Dallas McPherson or 1B Casey Kotchman.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angside9jul09,1,2908073.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-angels

July 9, 2004
You must be registered for see images
E-mail story
You must be registered for see images
Print
Angels May Try to Acquire Johnson
By Mike DiGiovanna, Times Staff Writer

CHICAGO — The Angels have resisted attaching any sense of urgency to Bartolo Colon's starts, but if the right-hander does not show some improvement tonight against the Toronto Blue Jays or in his next two or three games, it could greatly alter the team's strategy as the July 31 trade deadline approaches.

Starting pitching was considered a strength of the Angels, who signed Colon to a four-year, $51-million contract to be their ace. But with Colon in a dreadful slump — he's 2-7 with an 8.19 earned-run average since April 28 — the Angels may determine that they lack the dominant, front-of-the-rotation starter needed to fulfill owner Arte Moreno's World Series aspirations.

That's why they are closely monitoring the Randy Johnson situation in Arizona. The cash-strapped and last-place Diamondbacks have not publicly expressed a desire to trade the 6-foot-10 left-hander, who threw a perfect game against Atlanta on May 18, but that could change if Johnson, 40, determines Arizona won't be competitive in 2005 and agrees to waive his no-trade clause to go to a contender.

The New York Yankees covet Johnson, the Boston Red Sox are very interested — though General Manager Theo Epstein denied a television report claiming he received permission to speak to Johnson — and the Angels are expected to pursue Johnson vigorously if he goes on the market and Colon continues to struggle.

Johnson had a 50-minute conversation with Arizona General Manager Joe Garagiola Jr. in the dugout before Wednesday night's game against the Dodgers, fueling speculation he may be warming to the idea of a trade.

Johnson was coy with reporters, saying the discussion was about the 1966 contract holdouts of Dodger pitchers Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale. He wouldn't address whether he would ask for a trade and has been vague on the subject in recent days.

Diamondback owner Jerry Colangelo has said repeatedly that he wants Johnson, who makes $16.5 million this season and is signed for $16.5 million in 2005, to finish his career in Arizona. Asked Wednesday whether anything had changed since last week, Garagiola said, "I guess not."

The Angels are believed to have had preliminary talks with the Diamondbacks to determine what it would take to acquire the five-time Cy Young Award winner should Johnson become available.

The price would be steep — Arizona would want Jeff Mathis, the Angels' top catching prospect, and either Dallas McPherson, the power-hitting third baseman who is batting .392 with seven homers and 17 runs batted in in 14 games for triple-A Salt Lake after hitting .321 with 20 homers and 69 RBIs in 68 games at double-A Arkansas, or first-base prospect Casey Kotchman.

The Diamondbacks also are interested in reliever Scot Shields, and they might consider taking disgruntled reliever Ramon Ortiz in a deal.

Many say the Angels would be front-runners for Johnson — he owns a home in Newport Beach, has a good relationship with Moreno and has said he has no interest in playing in New York, and the Angels are one of the few organizations with the high-caliber prospects to satisfy the Diamondbacks' trade demands.

The question is, would Colangelo approve a trade of his franchise player, a dominant pitcher who recently surpassed the 4,000-strikeout mark, to the Angels?

Relations between Colangelo and Moreno have been strained since Moreno, former minority owner of the Diamondbacks, tried to buy out his Arizona partners in 2001, and those close to Colangelo say he would be reluctant to deal Moreno a player who could help the Angels win the World Series.

The Angels also might balk at the idea of mortgaging a good chunk of their future for a pitcher who has virtually no cartilage left in his right knee.

"My philosophy hasn't changed, and I don't see it changing," Angel General Manager Bill Stoneman said Thursday. "The strength of any organization is its scouting and player development, and I'm not going to disrupt that to jeopardize the future."

That could change, though, if Moreno, who has shown some of Yankee owner George Steinbrenner's win-at-all-costs tendencies, decides he wants Johnson.

The upside to such a deal is obvious: Johnson, who is 10-6 with a 2.90 earned-run average and 139 strikeouts in 124 1/3 innings, has the power and presence to alter the pennant race and any postseason series.

"That's a lot to give up for one guy," Angel pitcher Jarrod Washburn said. "But he's one of the best ever."

The Angels, meanwhile, continue to show faith in Colon, despite the fact that he has the highest ERA (6.57) of any American League starter and has had two good starts in the last two months.

"Mentally, this has been tough on him, but I don't think we're all at the end of our rope yet," Manager Mike Scioscia said. "It's been a tough stretch, but we have all the confidence in the world in him. Right now, we feel it's best for him to pitch through this, and hopefully in three weeks we'll be talking about how well he's throwing and how positively it's affected the team."

But what if Colon, who was 15-13 with a 3.87 ERA for the White Sox last season and a combined 20-8 with a 2.93 ERA for Cleveland and Montreal in 2002, doesn't regain his form?

"He will," Stoneman said. "With his track record, he's going to get it going. It's been a while since he's thrown well for us, but it doesn't make sense for a guy with his track record to struggle this long. We think he'll turn it around."

Scioscia, who is convinced Colon's problems are mechanical, doesn't want Colon to feel pressured to turn it around immediately.

"I don't think it's going to serve any purpose to lay out a block of games and say it's important to a player's standing on the club or in the rotation," Scioscia said. "The only way we'll back him off a bit is if there's a health-related problem or if we need to take some pressure off him. We think the reason for his struggles are real tangible. There's a lot he can clean up."
That's reassuring that at least the Dbacks are "setting the bar high" on who they should get in exchange for Johnson....Mathis would immediately replace Hammock as the everyday catcher, while Hammock might revert back to the role of a utility player (like he was for most of last season) and Brito is still an excellent back-up.....Or I wonder if Hammock would go along w/Randy since he's now Randy's personal "designated catcher"? :D

I still dont think that the Angels would be willing to part with McPherson, but Kotchman would be acquired mainly if Sexson and the Dbacks seem to further away from negotiating a long-term deal....Regardless, the Dbacks are in dire need of a 1B prospect anyways since that's their weakest position in the Minors....

I still am somewhat against Ortiz, but as long as he's not the "centerpiece", then he's acceptable....Shields is intriguing as well.....

I just hope if the Dbacks do engineer a trade, it will be either with the Angels or a 3-way deal w/the Marlins.....Especially since the Red Sox and Yankees dont have much of value to offer....

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Who is a better fit for the D'backs? McPherson or Kotchman at this point, regardless of if we resign Sexson

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Who is a better fit for the D'backs? McPherson or Kotchman at this point, regardless of if we resign Sexson
I'll defer to Mao on more specifics regarding McPherson and Kotchman respective talents since he follows the Angels (and their farm system) a lot more extensively than I do.....

The main question is....Are the Angels willing to sacrifice McPherson? He's their prized prospect at the moment since Shane Halter is the Angels every day 3B (he's better in a utility role and is getting up there in age) and they have Erstad at 1B (he still has some quailty years remaining).....That's why the Angels may be more inclined to trade Kotchman over McPherson......

Regardless...the Dbacks are still lacking at 1B even w/Sexson (especially in the upper part of the Minors where they have AAAA Alan Zinter and Steve Neal who has progressed very slowly in the Dbacks farm system).....Also, Chad Tracy seems to have a very promising future at 3B and the Dbacks have several other solid 3B prospects in the Minors awaiting their turn.....That's why Kotchman is more of a necessity than McPherson at this time....Yet..if the Angels are willing to trade to McPherson, then the Dbacks must jump on that opportunity regardless.....

If McPherson is part of the deal...I wouldnt be shocked to see Tracy be converted into a 1B (I know he's played there a couple of times this season) and also he'll see some time in the OF.....

The essence is, either McPherson or Kotchman would be significant upgrades for the Dbacks...and that's all that matters....Just hope this all comes to fruition......

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
I think McPherson has a lot more upside, though Kotchman is major league rady practically. The Angels had him starting for awhile when their injuries got really bad. I saw him at a few games and he looks pretty decent. Could develop power.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
The main question is....Are the Angels willing to sacrifice McPherson? He's their prized prospect at the moment since Shane Halter is the Angels every day 3B (he's better in a utility role and is getting up there in age) and they have Erstad at 1B (he still has some quailty years remaining).....That's why the Angels may be more inclined to trade Kotchman over McPherson......
What about Troy Glaus, he isn't even 30 yet and he is locked up long term I think

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
What about Troy Glaus, he isn't even 30 yet and he is locked up long term I think

I doubt they would trade him though, if that was the case i would take him. What an upgrade that would be...

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I honestly forgot about him since he's been injured since at least mid-May, and I'm wondering if he'll return back to true form after having his shoulder surgery? Glaus could still be their regular DH even if McPherson is their every day 3B......

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BOB_Man24 said:
I doubt they would trade him though, if that was the case i would take him. What an upgrade that would be...
No... my point was, he is entrenched at 3B, so that is why I feel they would be more inclined to trade McPherson before Kotchman

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I'll say this: I would not give up McPherson for Johnson even straight up. McPherson is that good. Glaus is a FA at the end of the season and while it appeared he was as good as gone when he got injured, it looks like they may keep him and put him at 1b since they've been sub-.500 w/out him in the lineup. I'm guessing Glaus' recurring shoulder problems are a huge concern which is why they have not locked him up. Figgins is playing 3B right now and has been an adequate replacement, but I'm thinking he will move to the middle IF next year if he's not involved in any sort of Randy deal.

That leaves Kotchman without a position to play and the most likely acquisition in a trade. Kotchman is a good player and certainly has far more upside than Sexson ever did. Like I said earlier with Glaus, Sexson is far from a sure thing to return to his past self. Look at what shoulder injuries have done to Shawn Green. 1B should be a priority for the DBacks especially if preliminary talks with Sexson's agent has him asking for eight-figure annual money.

I don't see the Angels trading Jeff Mathis although I could totally see the DBacks asking for him. He's already better than Hammock. The Molinas, while very good defensively, are definitely lacking in the batting department and I think their contracts are up soon. Mathis is cheap, can play defense, and hit the ball. If I had to guess, the Angels are willing to give up Ortiz, Kotchman, and DaVanon, which I think would work very well for both teams if Kotchman can stay healthy.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whats sad is, Ramon Ortiz could be the #2 or 3 starter on this team right now :roll:

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
Well hed be a lot better than sparky and fossum and good. Gotta love it. Hey by the way, pitching Dessens 4 innings actually worked. Go figure...

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BOB_Man24 said:
Well hed be a lot better than sparky and fossum and good. Gotta love it. Hey by the way, pitching Dessens 4 innings actually worked. Go figure...
Yeah I agree... I like the Dessens/Good combo.

BOB_Man24

Go Cats!
Reaction score
NJYAJ09 said:
Yeah I agree... I like the Dessens/Good combo.

I know and considering Dessens cant make it past 5 and Good is still recovering from surgery it makes sense.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BY DAVID LENNON AND KEN DAVIDOFF
STAFF CORRESPONDENTS; Staff writer Jim Baumbach contributed to this story.

July 10, 2004

MIAMI - Randy Johnson is telling people he wants out of Arizona, and when he mentions New York as one of his top relocation choices, he apparently is not just talking about the Bronx.

Although the Yankees and Angels seem to be the front-runners to acquire the suddenly available Johnson, a person familiar with the situation said Friday that he also considers the Mets a possible destination.

When asked about Johnson's no-trade clause and convincing him to play for the Mets, the source replied, "That would be the least of the problems."

Johnson has told friends he likes New York and would prefer to stay in the National League, where he would have the opportunity to win a sixth Cy Young Award. His statistics with the Diamondbacks would not count for the award if he were traded to an American League club.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie's Trade Proposal #1:

Here's my 1st trade proposal involving Randy Johnson....

The Marlins are still expressing an interest in Nomar Garciaparra and the Red Sox are inquiring about getting Alex Gonzalez in return....

The Marlins have an extremely deep farm-system loaded with younger pitching prospects, power hitting OFs that possess speed, and some solid corner IFs.. a a couple solid catching prospects......other than OF are the Dbacks biggest needs.....

Therefore, the Dbacks trade Johnson to FL for the following:

Dbacks:
Jason Stokes-1B

67-games
249-ABs
42-runs
67-hits
18-2B
0-3B
16-HR
61-RBI
22-BB
84-Ks
4-4 SBs
.269 BA

Jason Stokes, 1B. This kid has a high ceiling and boasts dramatic raw power. Selected in the second round of the 2000 draft, Stokes began to show his prowess in Utica in 2001, where he pounded six home runs and drove in 19 runs in just 35 games. It was however in his second season at Kane County (A) where he challenged for the Triple Crown in the Midwest League, elevating his batting average to .341 with 27 HR and 75 RBI, all the while fighting through a painful cyst problem on his left wrist. He finally underwent surgery, which included a bone graft at the tail end of 2002 and after a slow start rebounded with nice numbers for Jupiter (A) in 2003. Stokes finished with 17 homers and 89 RBI in 121 games. However, the Marlins saw a slip in his batting average to .258, which could be attributed to his wrist injury the previous year.
Would the Marlins be willing to trade this prize prospect? Possibly since Hee-Seop Choi is still extremely young and producing well..especially at a bargain contract that the has....

Scott Olsen-LHP (starter)
3-5
3.66-ERA
16-games
86-IP
80-Hits
40-Runs
35-Earned Runs
6-HRs
39-BBs
97-Ks

Scott Olsen, LHP. This may be somewhat of a shocker, as this kid was a relative unknown in high school. However, the Marlins saw enough in him to take him in the sixth round of the 2002 amateur draft. The 6’4, 170 pound lefty is very lanky, but has been a sponge at absorbing tutoring at the minor league level. Unimpressive in his first pro season, Olson rebounded nicely in 2003 for Class A Greensboro with a 7-9 record and 2.81 ERA, fanning 129 batters in 128.1 innings. He improved his mechanics last year, which resulted in a livelier fastball. He improved the quality of his slider in his second year and opted to remove the curve ball, at least temporarily, from his repertoire. He also has a very nice changeup, which is very important for a lefthander. Olson also has a quality sinker. It would surprise no one if he finishes at Double A this year.
The Marlins have several other quality starters, but I believe they're be more willing to surrender Olson...I do like Jeff Allison, but he'll be in line to soon replace Pavano (who more than likely be leaving as a FA after the end of this year)....

Eric Reed-OF

55-games
22-ABs
32-Runs
68-Hits
9-2Bs
6-3Bs
3-HRs
14-RBI
14-BBs
55-Ks
24-29 SBs
.306 BA
Eric Reed, OF. Reed could be the Marlins' next Juan Pierre. Despite standing at just 5’11 and weighing in at just under 170 pounds, Reed is a prolific weight lifter. He knows his strength is in his legs, not his biceps; and he has learned to become a very good bunter and is willing to put the ball on the ground to take advantage of his speed. A ninth round pick out of the 2002 draft, Reed, like most top of the order hitters, needs to gain confidence hitting with two strikes. He stole 53 bases and scored 86 runs in 134 games last year, while batting .300, good enough to earn him the Marlins' 2003 Minor League Player of the Year. His speed allows him to cover plenty of ground in the outfield. A jump to Double A this year is expected. However, Pierre still has two years left on his contract and Reed is being groomed as his heir apparent.
I believe Pierre will receive a contract extension... plus the Marlins have Jeremy Hermida, Abraham Nunez, Miguel Cabrera, and a couple other OF prospect who will be Major League w/in 2-3 years... Reed has the explosive speed and line drive capabilites...I know the Dbacks have Jackson, Quentin, and a couple other lethal OF prospects, but imagine adding Reed's speed into the mix.....

I would also consider catcher Josh Willingham as well, however, he's the type of rare breed that combines solid defense and power, so I dont believe the Marlins would part with him...

Boston receives:
Randy Johnson
Alex Gonzalez

Marlins receives:
Nomar Garciaparra, probably along with some a lesser known lower prospect(s) in the Red Sox organization...

I believe every party involved would benefit from that trade immensely..

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prior out

Xtra Sports 910 reporting Mark Prior might be out for year. Cubs better call Dbacks for Big Unit.

AZZenny

Reaction score
ESPN reported around noon that Prior's MRI was not bad and barring something on an upcoming bone scan, do not expect him to be out for the season.

Also: St. Louis doesn't have the money for RJ (good, because our GM would likely ask for Rick Ankiel in return, as MovieGeekJohn has pointed out);

Our scouts have studied the MFY system and stated firmly they have NO prospect of any interest to us, in fact that their top prospects are pretty much all hype;

It is widely agreed the DBacks will not trade RJ for flotsam and jetsam just to make him less unhappy, because management would be lynched, their crops burned and the land salted and limed, and their women and children sold into slavery (oops - sorry - been reading a novel about the Greek wars :D );

That won't stop George from trying something, or Boston from trying to prevent any NYY deal.

MY trade idea:

We get Joe Torre and Mariano Rivera from NYY, and Billy Beane from Oakland;
NYY gives Oakland cash and prospects;
We give NYY RJ, and Oakland gets one of our veterans they either can use or can turn in a trade for something they do want.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
910 Knuckleheads

I heard the same thing about the negative MRI. G and A are knuckleheads. That is what I get for listening to them. Still want Cubs to get the Big Eunuch. In hopes he helps them this year.

Then if the pospects we get are good...we can torture cubs fans with how great the players we got back are. Make sense to anyone else to me. It will be especially good to torture my wife and in-laws.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
• Providence Journal: "Speculation has been growing in both Boston and Philadelphia that the Sox and Phillies may swap disappointing free-agents-to-be Derek Lowe and Kevin Millwood in the hopes that a change of scenery will help both pitchers snap out of their problems. But some baseball sources say the Sox have no interest in Millwood ..."

• Chicago Sun-Times: "Alex González could hold his fate in his hands. The shortstop returned to the Cubs starting lineup on Monday, and if he plays well this week, that could determine if Hendry gives serious consideration to making a deal with the Montreal Expos for shortstop Orlando Cabrera ... As for Boston's Nomar Garciaparra, the Cubs would love to have him. But the Red Sox appear to have backed off on moving Garciaparra."

• Cleveland Plain Dealer: "It's been reported that if the Chicago Cubs don't get Boston's Nomar Garciaparra or Montreal's Orlando Cabrera, they may come after Omar Vizquel to play shortstop. The Indians, however, say it would be difficult for them to trade Vizquel."

• Miami Herald: "Carl Pavano and Armando Benítez will be free agents after the season, Brad Penny's salary could more than double through arbitration, and Mike Lowell can opt out of his four-year contract if a deal for a new ballpark isn't in place by November. With starting pitching at a premium, Pavano and Penny make for inviting targets for contending teams seeking late-season help."

• Palm Beach Post: "If the Marlins suddenly become sellers instead of buyers, free agents like All-Star pitchers Carl Pavano and Armando Benítez, arbitration-eligible pitcher Brad Penny and Mike Lowell could be candidates."

• Fort Lauderdale: "Owner Jeffrey Loria didn't rule out approving a pre-trading deadline acquisition to bolster his struggling Marlins. He didn't dismiss moving players if things don't turn around either."

• New York Post: "That's because the Diamondbacks want to see if they can trade center fielder Steve Finley before intensifying their efforts to deal Randy Johnson. According to a person familiar with the Diamondbacks' game plan, they will reconnect with the teams interested in the Big Unit early next week. By then Finley could be in San Diego and Diamondbacks owner Jerry Colangelo will be back from Italy. ... Arizona is one of three teams with scouts watching Columbus, the Yankees' Triple-A club. Milwaukee, which has Ben Sheets but isn't trading him, and Pittsburgh, which would love to deal Kris Benson, also have scouts following the Clippers."

• Arizona Republic: "With all the hype surrounding Randy Johnson, Steve Finley's status could dictate how soon the pitcher's situation is resolved ... Although San Diego has been mentioned as a strong contender for Finley's services, Florida has taken a long look and could make a strong bid for the four-time National League Gold Glove center fielder. The Marlins have sent one of their top talent evaluators to watch the Diamondbacks on their homestand."

• Newark Star-Ledger: "If the Mets are really going to try to win this year, they should offer Arizona any four prospects other than David Wright. Scott Kazmir, Justin Huber, you name him, the Mets should make him available ... If they can't get Randy Johnson, the Mets should agree to take Jason Kendall and his fat contract in order to get Kris Benson."

• Daily Herald: "One name not on the Cubs' radar screen, according to a source, is Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Randy Johnson ... If Alex González gets out of the gate well, he may be the Cubs' shortstop the rest of the season. If not, the Cubs may reheat talks with the Montreal Expos for Orlando Cabrera ... It's still possible the Detroit Tigers could unload Ugueth Urbína if they feel they're out of contention in the American League Central by July 31."

• Fort Worth Star-Telegram: "Sure, Randy Johnson is out of the realm of economic possibility for the Rangers. Pittsburgh's free agent-to-be Kris Benson is not, or at least shouldn't be ... The Rangers, according to whispers at the ballpark, would be willing to part with Kevin Mench: Do it. The Pirates, at the moment, are holding out for Laynce Nix: Don't do it ... Kansas City might also be ready to unload lefty Brian Anderson and Seattle would dump southpaw Ron Villone, but both are a step down from Benson and Kip Wells."

• Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "The temptation might be to look at the standings, see the Pirates six games out of a wild-card spot (in the loss column) and think they should keep Kris Benson past the July 31 trade deadline. Not gonna' happen. ... The Philadelphia Phillies reportedly are stepping up their pursuit of Benson, joining the New York Mets and Minnesota Twins as likely trade partners."

• San Francisco Chronicle: "You know how hard it is to work a deal in the current market when the Pittsburgh Pirates want a major-league-ready position player and a top prospect for Kris Benson, who has pitched well recently but is just 7-7 with a 4.26 ERA — nearly identical to his career ERA of 4.27 — and has a history of injuries. To put this into perspective, the Giants probably would have to offer outfielder Dustan Mohr and one of their two hot pitching prospects, Matt Cain or Merkin Valdez."

• St. Louis Post-Dispatch: "Saying he prefers to deal 'sooner than later,' Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty indicated Monday he has all but confined his trade search to righthanded middle relief because of several factors, including salary constraints ... Veteran righthanders with closer experience such as Pittsburgh's Jose Mesa and Detroit's Ugueth Urbína have attracted the club's interest ... Likewise, Jocketty indicated financial constraints probably will prevent the club from diving into potential trade talks for Arizona Diamondbacks lefthander Randy Johnson."

• Minneapolis Star-Tribune: "The easy answer would be Dan Wilson, now the backup to Miguel Olivo in Seattle. He will be a free agent at the end of the season. He also has the right to refuse a trade."

• Tacoma News-Tribune: "When Twins catcher Joe Mauer was injured for the second time this season, the media in Minnesota apparently jumped ahead of the team — and decided the Twins should acquire veteran catcher Dan Wilson. Media reports to the contrary, the Twins, as of Monday night, hadn't called the Mariners."

• Clevelan Plain Dealer: "The Indians would like to find a left-handed reliever. Lefty Mike Myers pitched against them in three of the four games in Seattle over the weekend. Could that have been by accident?"

• New York Daily News: "In other words, the clock is still ticking for Jim Duquette, who has less than two weeks to make an impact trade or two the Mets desperately need."

• New York Daily News: "Royals GM Allard Baird and assistant Brian Murphy attended last night's Double-A Binghamton game, started by hard-throwing righty prospect José Diaz, who had pitched in relief his last two outings, against Toronto's New Hampshire affiliate. The Royals might be willing to move reliever Scott Sullivan, who is slated to make $2.6 million next season, or lefty starter Brian Anderson."

• St. Louis Post-Dispatch: "Continued Cards success will force teams to make decisions. The Cubs are also pondering a variety of trade possibilities, given their need for bullpen help and another big bat to jump-start the offense."

• Denver Post: "The possibility lingers that Preston Wilson will be traded ... The Rangers, Phillies and Yankees are among the teams that might be interested, but there's nothing cooking right now."

• Toronto Sun: "The Jays have talked trade with the Minnesota Twins and are asking for first baseman Justin Morneau, of New Westmister, B.C. Morneau, a member of Team Canada, was recalled by the Twins last week. The Twins wants right-hander Miguel Batísta."

• Denver Post: "Six weeks later, reliever Steve Reed remains in limbo, with no arbitration date set on his three-game suspension. If the punishment stands, that will be the only time the right-hander is not in a Rockies uniform. General manager Dan O'Dowd confirmed Monday he has no plans to trade Reed or third baseman Vinny Castilla."

• Rocky Mountiain News : "Left-hander Jeff Fassero returned to the Colorado Rockies rotation. Adam Bernero is back in the bullpen. Right-hander Travis Driskill arrived from Class AAA Colorado Springs. And veteran Turk Wendell said his farewells, leaving the impression that once he becomes a free agent he might catch on with the Florida Marlins, according to several players."

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
WTF are we going to do with a soon to be 34 year old catcher???
\

It's all part of Joe Jr.'s master plan, trade arguably the two best pitchers in baseball (Randy and Curt) for pretty good hitters. (Sexson and Posada). Then, you have a huge tryout, and find some over the hill pitchers. Finally, you suppliment it with some minor league pitchers, who need more time, or never should be a major league starter. (Daigle) Seems like a completely logical plan of action, in Joe Jr. land.....Watching this team is torture these days, and the small amount of time it took for him to destroy it is nothing short of amazing. What is Joe Jr.'s plan? Anyone?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort