Trade rumors

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Could Danny Bautista be headed to Boston? Trot Nixon has been put back on the DL. He strained his quad once again.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Does anyone know when Mantei is due back? I wonder if a team that needs a reliever takes a chance on Mantei and trades for him. A team that desperately needs a reliever are the Cubs.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Does anyone know when Mantei is due back? I wonder if a team that needs a reliever takes a chance on Mantei and trades for him. A team that desperately needs a reliever are the Cubs.

He says his goal is to pitch again "this season," so we're still a long ways from seeing him again.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just heard on the radio that the latest RJ rumor has him going to the Dodgers??? Did I hear that right??? That would be insane, trading him to a divisional foe...although I am betting Joe Jr would do it.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
• The Doug Mientkiewicz to Boston rumors persist, according to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune; however, a National League team is offering a fairly big chip in return for the gold glove first baseman.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mientkiewicz could be used as part of a package to land Pirates righthander Kris Benson, considered one of the best pitchers available. The Pirates had a scout at Sunday's game against the Orioles, although Mientkiewicz didn't start.

Another possibility is the Red Sox, although it's unclear whom the Twins would receive from Boston in a deal.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the Star-Tribune, Mientkiewicz has been told by the Twins that he will be traded before the deadline.

• The Chicago Sun-Times reports the Red Sox would trade Nomar Garciaparra if the Cubs are willing to part with Matt Clement. However, considering the health concerns of Mark Prior and Kerry Wood, the Cubs aren't rushing into that deal. Meanwhile, a deal for another shortstop could be in the works for Chicago.

Quote:
A deal for shortstop Orlando Cabrera could be imminent, with Alex González again serving as the resident rally-killer, but Cabrera's slow bat speed and .240 batting average should be duly noted.

• According to the Denver Post although Larry Walker would welcome a deal to a contender, he's not necessarily fond of a trade at the 11th hour.

Quote:
"If something gets dropped on me at the last second (at Saturday's 2 p.m. nonwaiver trading deadline), I won't even hesitate to say no," Walker said. "I would need time to talk about it and make sure it's right for everyone involved."

Buyer beware, though ...

Quote:
"I am not feeling great. I get treatment (on the left groin) and really have to take care of it because it's still there," he said. "But we are winning, and it's a lot more enjoyable to come the ballpark when you are hearing music after the games."

Walker has attracted interest from the Marlins, Red Sox, Braves and Rangers.

• The St. Petersburg Times reports Tino Martínez could become available to a pair of teams in need of a first baseman — the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox.

• According to the Arizona Republic, it appears Sunday's turn on the mound for Randy Johnson will be his last for the Diamondbacks.

Quote:
There are six days left until the trading deadline, and while the present is painfully clear, the future of Johnson remains a mystery. Yet there's a strange inner calm pouring forth from the temperamental pitcher, a new tolerance of intolerable games that makes one believe he already knows the outcome.

... Only a few precious hints emerged from Sunday's 3-2 loss to the Rockies. There was Johnson's fist pump after the fourth inning, a sure sign that he wanted this game to be special. There was his tip of the cap in the eighth inning, which Johnson admitted to be a farewell gesture.

The biggest clue was a remarkably honest disclosure from manager Al Pedrique. With two outs and two runners on in a scoreless game, Juan Brito came to bat in the seventh inning. He worked the count to three balls and no strikes. Johnson stood in the on-deck circle waiting for his turn to bat.

Incredibly, there were no plans to pinch-hit for the pitcher.

"He was going to be in there until he said, 'I've had enough,' " Pedrique said.

• The New York Times reports the Yankees might have the minor leaguers the Diamondbacks are looking for in a deal for Randy Johnson afterall.

Quote:
"The ones that I more or less wrote up, yes, they would definitely help," Arizona scout Bryan Lambe said. "They wouldn't just help the Diamondbacks, they'd help every organization. But it's a matter of what they would be giving up. They'd be giving up, to a certain extent, the face of the Diamondbacks right now. I don't know what their thinking is."

AZZenny

Reaction score
"Help" is not good enough. It better be iron-clad, future all-star caliber "help." If they weren't good enough two weeks ago, or a week ago, I am suspicious why with only days to go they suddenly start to look good enough.
JoeBlow's had enough beer that anybody shtarts lookin OK?
I'll throttle that :barf: myself if he screws us on this one.

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree... That was probably randy's last start for us.

:wave: seeya later randy, we all loved ya.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They better not mess this one up. This is easily the biggest trade in the teams history and they cant afford to mess this one up. We could get screwed for years to come. I would feel so much better, and I mean SO much better, if he was traded to the Angels. We shouldnt have to settle for mediocre prospects for the most dominant pitcher in the game.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I've been here in San Diego for the past month and from what I've heard locally on radio and other media outlets is that as of a week ago, the Angels don't want to match the DBacks demands (i.e. Dallas McPherson) and have moved on to Kris Benson. So that left basically the Yankees as the only team in the RJ sweepstakes. Predictably, Boston now is getting involved as they would rather give up Fenway Park itself to not see RJ in a Yankees uniform. But for all I know, all three of these teams may still be involved as well as the Dodgers. I say whoever gives us the best deal gets RJ, division or no division. Larry Luchinno's fear of the Yanks acquiring RJ leads them to deal us their best pitching prospect in less than a year.

My Hopeful prediction: Kevin Youkilis, Kelly Shoppach, Bronson Arroyo, and Abe Alvarez for Randy Johnson and Danny Bautista beats out the Yankees collection of seven A & AA players. Youkilis is then promptly shipped to Oakland for John Rheineker and a PTBNL and Beane gets his replacement for Hatteberg and feeds his massive ego with his favorite walk-*****. DBacks get solid pitching prospects, a guy who has been solid this year, and a catcher of the future. Beantown gets Randy and an inevitable September or October choke.

Also if an RJ trade does occur I would hope Colangelo breaks the bank on a pitching coach to teach our guys how to use the BOB's unique dimensions to their advantage and a defensive coach so our players can actually learn how to play defense.

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Here are some more rumors courtesy of Mark Gonzalez, Dbacks beat writer for the AZ Republic, on an interview on 1060 this afternoon.

He feels that RJ will be traded to either the Yankees, Angels and possibly Red Sox. He thinks more than likely if he does get traded it will be to the Yankees possibly in a 3-team trade (Yankees get RJ, Dbacks get prospects, and ______ gets Contreras (sp?))

Fins will likely be traded to Philly, Florida, LA, or San Fransisco. The likely front runner as of this point would be Philly, since Fins wants to stay in center field. Also if Fins is traded, expect him to re-sign with the Dbacks when his contract is up.

Bautista is also likely to be traded and basically has the same list of teams as Fins. More than likely he will be traded to Florida since they need a corner outfielder.

Others that could be traded include Hillenbrand (possibly to Tampa Bay), Mayne (possibly to Florida), and Roberto Alomar (possibly to the Yankees)

He didn't really say what was expected in return for the players mentioned

Last edited:

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
I keep hearing local journalist saying Fins will come back. If we trade Randy, Why? We are the worst team in the league this year and looking to trade our 2 best players, why would he be so hip to come back, when San Diego is becoming a contender.
Optimism is free, but I'd like to hear him say he would come back. He already turned down an extension.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Yankees or else according to Fox Sports...

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/2610014

If Johnson hamstrings this franchise and demands a trade to only the Yankees I don't want that piece of garbage going into he HOF as a DBack. Accepting a straight up trade with the MFY's for RJ will severely damage this franchise as they have no one outside of Dioner Navarro who is anywhere close to major-league ready. Unfortuantely the positive spin has already begun from the DBack front office as in the quote from the DBack scout a few posts ago. At this point it wouldn't surprise me if we got totally screwed while handing the Yankees our ace.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Yeah, I demand a trade. But you can only trade me to one team. And they have nothing to offer you. Sorry."

This is crap. I have a bad feeling we're about to shoot ourselves in the foot :mad:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
He feels that RJ will be traded to either the Yankees, Angels and possibly Red Sox. He thinks more than likely if he does get traded it will be to the Yankees possibly in a 3-team trade (Yankees get RJ, Dbacks get prospects, and ______ gets Contreras (sp?))

So the Yankees give up Contreras, and get Johnson? Plus this means we get Contreras-sized prospects, instead of most-dominant-playoff-pitcher-in-the-game worthy prospects, as thats all the third team is getting. What a joke. :rolleyes:

AZZenny

Reaction score
WE are not shooting OURselves in the foot, because not one person on this - or any other non-Yankee board - would ever consider making a trade like any of the ones suggested.

No GM outside of 401 E Jefferson would do it; they'd commit Hari-Kiri before painting themselves into a corner like this.
So he's unhappy - work out a trade in the off-season if he's that miserable, maybe by then he'll be open to a few other teams. Imagine - maybe three of the worst trades in recent mlb history, all by one GM, in less than a year. Wow.

For the record, I don't believe RJ has demanded a trade as it is being portrayed; that is the other very predictable side of the media spin. I said two weeks ago that Randy becoming the bad guy, and a media upgrading of the available talent would both be coming very soon.
"I demand a trade or else --" what? I tank and tarnish my reputation and legacy forever? I grouse and sulk? Wow, that'll be newsworthy.

It doesn't fit for me; what fits is the team has decided a salary dump - to once more undo their own stupid contract moves - is desirable after all, now that they think about it. So they need to look like they have been forced to make the best of a bad deal, just as they have tried to do with the Schilling trade; just like they tried to say they were forced to give up too much for Sexson. Here, twist my arm, twist my arm. Ooooh! ooooh!
Give me a break.

Don't ever let me hear anyone complain about the Marlins' "Fire Sale" again - it was a lot less painful and MUCH more effective than this business of lopping off our hands and feet one at a time -and paying other teams to do it.
:bang:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
WE are not shooting OURselves in the foot, because not one person on this - or any other non-Yankee board - would ever consider making a trade like any of the ones suggested.

No GM outside of 401 E Jefferson would do it; they'd commit Hari-Kiri before painting themselves into a corner like this.
So he's unhappy - work out a trade in the off-season if he's that miserable, maybe by then he'll be open to a few other teams. Imagine - maybe three of the worst trades in recent mlb history, all by one GM, in less than a year. Wow.

For the record, I don't believe RJ has demanded a trade as it is being portrayed; that is the other very predictable side of the media spin. I said two weeks ago that Randy becoming the bad guy, and a media upgrading of the available talent would both be coming very soon.
"I demand a trade or else --" what? I tank and tarnish my reputation and legacy forever? I grouse and sulk? Wow, that'll be newsworthy.

It doesn't fit for me; what fits is the team has decided a salary dump - to once more undo their own stupid contract moves - is desirable after all, now that they think about it. So they need to look like they have been forced to make the best of a bad deal, just as they have tried to do with the Schilling trade; just like they tried to say they were forced to give up too much for Sexson. Here, twist my arm, twist my arm. Ooooh! ooooh!
Give me a break.

Don't ever let me hear anyone complain about the Marlins' "Fire Sale" again - it was a lot less painful and MUCH more effective than this business of lopping off our hands and feet one at a time -and paying other teams to do it.
:bang:

Yes, I know we arent the ones actually doing the shooting, but as an important part of the organization, the fans, it hurts none the less what looks like this organization is doing. I really dont think Randy Johnson is quite as unhappy as the (mostly NY) papers would have you believe, but if he is truely trying to force his way out and into NY and only NY, I will be very angry. I agree, the Schilling trade was terrible, but Id blame Colangelo more than Joe Jr. for that one. Colangelo made it too obvious that we could no longer afford him and were so desperate to dump him. Because of this, we didnt get much of an offer, although I must say I do think Fossum will be a solid pitcher for us for several years. However, I stongly disagree about the Sexson deal. For a bunch of scrubs and two decent prospects, we got ourselves a premier power hitter with the ability to make the other hitters around him better. It reminds me of Matt Williams in 1999 and 2001, the Dbacks two best years, when he put up awesome numbers and almost as important, gave added protection in the lineup around him.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ESPN News says.....

Finley open to trade but does not want to go to NL East. Guess this is a just a fancy way to say he doesn't want to play in Phily

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
ESPN News says.....

Finley open to trade but does not want to go to NL East. Guess this is a just a fancy way to say he doesn't want to play in Phily

In other words, he wants to play for the Padres. Arizona, meet Xavier Nady, Diamondback 1B of the future (I'm still holding out for Dennis Tankersley).

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
In other words, he wants to play for the Padres. Arizona, meet Xavier Nady, Diamondback 1B of the future (I'm still holding out for Dennis Tankersley).

I was thinking RF if they trade Bautista (a definate possibility), and then resign Sexson. Doesnt sound all that bad to me, but Im a really big Bautista fan, and I wish theyd resign him. However, he might have some really good trade value. :shrug:

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They should just trade Randy for $30,000,000 to the Yankees and use that money for FA's next year :|

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Nady is like Ryan Klesko, can play OF and 1B, but neither very well. I'm assuming that if we trade Johnson, there's really no point in bringing back Sexson as this team will have to dive head first into a real rebuilding process.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard