Trade rumors

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plan?

There is supposed to be a plan? Even if there was a plan, and we figured it out, it would change the next day.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
What is Joe Jr.'s plan? Anyone?

To have his team remain constantly old. If this Posada rumor is true Joe G and Colangelo need to be canned ASAFP by the majority owners. If Jorge (who is completely overrated by the way in nearly every aspect of his game) gets traded here he is going to be making $13.5 million in 2006 as a 36 year old catcher with no DH to keep him healthy. Good call, Joe! :rolleyes:

The Yankees have one of the best catching prospects in baseball. But apparently a nineteen year old prospect who hit .350 in AA last year is nothing compared to a guy who will be and is old and overpaid. I really don't understand this so-called 'rebuilding' process at all.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
I cant believe the Dbacks would go after an overrated, old catcher making 9 million.
It appears anything is possible with this team

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Finally some good news. On Sportscenter this afternoon Gammons reported that the Marlins, Phillies, and Rangers are making strong pushes for Finley, even mentioning Marlon Byrd as a possibility. It looks like Finley's value is skyrocketing as more scouts see him and more teams become interested.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Finally some good news. On Sportscenter this afternoon Gammons reported that the Marlins, Phillies, and Rangers are making strong pushes for Finley, even mentioning Marlon Byrd as a possibility. It looks like Finley's value is skyrocketing as more scouts see him and more teams become interested.

That is extremely good news indeed. Hopefully we get something pretty good back our way and we wont trade Johnson, as Im really worried with some of the ridiculously dumb trade rumors Im hearing.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The D'backs management publically spoke about the Posada deal..... they said "no way"

So thats good....

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
The D'backs management publically spoke about the Posada deal..... they said "no way"

So thats good....

Thank you thank you thank you Ryanwb....you just made my day.

Last edited:

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
It appears anything is possible with this team
The report about Jorge has been refuted in the Repulsive this afternoon, saying that story is completely false.. once again, since there is no news, they have to just go ahead and make crap up!

AZZenny

Reaction score
"..even mentioning Marlon Byrd."

'scuse me - is this supposed to be a good thing? .224 BA, .600 OPS, 10 career HR, 2.45 Ks for every W, 2 stolen bases and 2 caught, average fielding stats - no plate discipline, no power, no speed, no great shakes with glove - other than no obvious plus-tools, I'm sure he's a very nice kid. Is the interest just because he's young? Then why not move Cintron out there and kill two byrds with one stone? (So to speak ;) )

We are going to get so screwed in the next couple weeks.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
• Newark Star-Ledger: "According to a baseball official familiar with the situation, the Diamondbacks asked the Yankees if it would be possible to include catcher Jorgé Posada in a deal for Randy Johnson. ... The Yankees have been trying to figure out a way to get a major-league pitcher back to Arizona in the deal. That could mean getting right-hander Ramon Ortíz from the Angels and spinning him off to the Diamondbacks in a three-way trade, as has been discussed. The Angels are interested in left-handed reliever Felix Heredia."

• New York Post: "The Yankees have been informed by the Diamondbacks that they won't begin exchanging names until Tuesday. That's when owner Arizona owner Jerry Colangelo returns from a vacation in Italy and after the Red Sox and Yankees slug it out for three games in Fenway Park this weekend. ... The Diamondbacks also want to move outfielder Steve Finley before getting serious about Randy Johnson. ... In addition to the Marlins and Padres, the Giants, Dodgers, Phillies and Rangers have expressed an interest in the outfielder as they prepare for the final two months of the season."

• Arizona Republic: "The New York Yankees are getting more familiar with Randy Johnson, even though the Diamondbacks haven't said publicly if they will trade their five-time Cy Young Award winner. The Yankees had two scouts watch Johnson allow three runs in the first two innings of a 3-1 loss to San Francisco. ... Meanwhile, center fielder Steve Finley is getting more attention from Florida, Texas and Philadelphia."

• East Valley Tribune: "Like ace Randy Johnson — the losing pitcher in Tuesday's 3-1 victory by the San Francisco Giants at Bank One Ballpark — Steve Finley has been the subject of trade talk between the D-Backs and other teams. An industry source said Finley is likely to approve a trade to a contender, and that Texas, Philadelphia and Florida have been the most aggressive pursuers."

• Los Angeles Times: "In a sign that the Angels may have pulled themselves out of the Randy Johnson derby, neither Gary Sutherland, special assistant to Angel General Manager Bill Stoneman, nor his brother, Angel scout Dale Sutherland, was spotted at Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix on Tuesday to watch the Arizona Diamondback ace pitch against the San Francisco Giants."

• Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel: "Trade talks involving Arizona outfielder Steve Finley appear to be heating up, and the Marlins are right in the thick of the competition. According to a source close to the discussions, the Marlins, Phillies and Rangers have made the most aggressive bids for the prospective free agent. ... San Diego, where Finley played previously and still has a home, had been considered the early frontrunner but has lost ground because it wanted the Diamondbacks to take back outfielder Jay Payton. ... The Marlins have told teams they believe there are only two offensive 'difference-makers' available through trade: Finley and Toronto first baseman Carlos Delgado. Delgado, however, is still due close to $7.5 million through season's end. He also can block any trade. David Sloane, his Coral Springs-based agent, says Delgado isn't going anywhere without a multiyear extension."

• San Diego Union-Tribune: "Steve Finley apparently has also given his approval to being traded to Philadelphia, Texas (managed by former Arizona skipper Buck Showalter), Florida and the New York Yankees (who reportedly are the No. 1 choice of Arizona's ace pitcher, Randy Johnson). Padres General Manager Kevin Towers yesterday said he is still waiting to hear from the Diamondbacks."

• Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: "When he takes the mound tonight in Atlanta, Kris Benson won't be thinking about it possibly being his last start in a Pirates uniform. ... Pirates general manager Dave Littlefield has turned down trade proposals from the New York Mets and Philadelphia Phillies."

• New York Daily News: "The Pirates have made no secret of the fact they would give the highest preference to any Kris Benson bidder willing to take catcher Jason Kendall as part of the exchange. Problem is, Kendall has $34 million remaining on an egregiously escalating contract through 2007. There's no way Jim Duquette would dare even broach such a deal to the Wilpons, much less push for it."

• The Dallas Morning News: "Rangers officials acknowledged contacting Pittsburgh about RHP Kris Benson but were not optimistic that talks would go anywhere. The Pirates asked for CF Laynce Nix."

• Denver Post: "The calls haven't been coming in, but the word around the baseball industry is Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd has placed a few of his own. One Rockies player dropped in trade discussions: Larry Walker ... One team that could be a match is the Los Angeles Dodgers."

• The Boston Globe: "With the Houston Astros slipping farther behind in the National League Central, speculation increases that the Astros will entertain offers for center fielder Carlos Beltran, whom they acquired in a 'rent-a-player' three-way deal with the Royals and A's. So far, however, the Astros have not given any indications that they are willing to deal Beltran, who is eligible for free agency after the season."

• Houston Chronicle: "Their biggest decision after this season will involve picking up Craig Biggio's option for 2005. I'm guessing right now that they'll do it, but things can change by the end of the year. Regardless, the only definite change for next season will be Chris Burke playing 2B for Jeff Kent, who won't be re-signed."

• Seattle Times: "With the trade deadline approaching, teams are talking and one rumor has Minnesota coming after Mariners catcher Dan Wilson. Rookie Twins catcher Joe Mauer is on the disabled list again with soreness in the left knee he tore up early in the season. In addition, with shortstop Rich Aurilia gone to San Diego, word is that first baseman John Olerud might also be traded to a National League team, with Atlanta and San Diego showing the most interest."

• Seattle Post-Intelligencer: "Reports yesterday from ESPN baseball pundit Peter Gammons that the Mariners were finding second baseman Bret Boone difficult to trade and were considering handing him his release didn't get much credence in the team's clubhouse."

• Tampa Tribune: "Lou Piniella has lobbied for a right-handed bat, and Rays general manager Chuck LaMar has talked to other clubs. One player he has inquired about is Arizona IF Shea Hillenbrand, who plays first and third."

• Cleveland Plain Dealer: "The Mariners have several pitchers in the minors and big leagues who interest the Indians. Three of them at the big- league level are lefties Mike Myers, Ron Villone and Eddie Guardado."

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
Cintron would be loved in Philadelphia. All the Phils would have to do is run a tape of him taking out Rolen in the 2002 NLDS, and he would become a cult icon. Trust me.

BTW, living in Jersey, don't get to see many D-backs games anymore. Are they really as bad as their record shows? I mean, they're on the verge of a second 10-game losing streak in the last month.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Yes. They really suck.

Why, can you think of another reason they'd be 25 games out of first and 33 games below 500 (shortly to be 34 games)?

Homer Simpson

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Yes. They really suck.

Why, can you think of another reason they'd be 25 games out of first and 33 games below 500 (shortly to be 34 games)?

I thought they would be bad, but this bad? They've got a good outfield, decent infield, two good starters, although Webb's record doesn't reflect it, and a crappy pen. But the pen is really that bad?

I mean, I know Sexson probably wasn't expecting the Brewers to be better than the Diamondbacks, but I doubt that he thought this would be the worst team he's ever been on. (Note: I do realize Sexson has been out since May)

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is where you will see who the real Diamondbacks fans are. This team is going thru some very tough times but it will get better, you just have to be patient.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

'scuse me - is this supposed to be a good thing? .224 BA, .600 OPS, 10 career HR, 2.45 Ks for every W, 2 stolen bases and 2 caught, average fielding stats - no plate discipline, no power, no speed, no great shakes with glove - other than no obvious plus-tools, I'm sure he's a very nice kid. Is the interest just because he's young? Then why not move Cintron out there and kill two byrds with one stone? (So to speak ;) )

Considering we'd be getting a guy who, unlike your Cintron comparison, is generally regarded as one of the best prospects in all of baseball, I'd be very happy with that trade, especially because Finley is old and in the middle of a career year. If schillingfan makes an apearance I'm sure he can tell you more about Byrd and the quality of prospect that he is. From your post I gather the only information and knowledge you have on Byrd is what you gained by viewing his MLB.com profile. Finley will likely re-sign after this season anyway so getting a prospect as decorated and highly regarded as Byrd for a 39 year old three month rental would be an absolute steal.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I know he was a hot prospect at one time, MTFC, but I was looking at his career numbers and was unimpressed. I'm not suggesting keeping Fins, just not seeing Byrd as anything to get too excited about if Finley goes. Partly I am so sure we ARE going to take over-hyped guys - heck, yesterday there was a report we'd like to get Abraham Nunez back from Florida - a 27-year-old ex-"hot prospect" who "inexplicably" hasn't lived up to our original projections - thinking a 'change of scene' would make a difference.

I would like to hear what Schillingfan has to say, perhaps Byrd has been a victim of Bowa. Not likely to happen, anyhow. I'd rather see if we could get Ryan Howard.

Yep, Ryan, purple = female poster. Is this a problem for you?

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
AZZenny said:

You need to look at Byrd's numbers for last year. He finished 3rd in the ROY, remember. He is a victim of our manager who just crushes young players once they start to struggle.

Plus, for some reason the Phillies decided he needed to hit more aggressively, which means he has been lost at the plate last year.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Beats Jay Payton, no question.

You need to look at Byrd's numbers for last year... He is a victim of our manager who just crushes young players once they start to struggle.
Very similar things could be said for Cintron, of course.

But if it means we don't rush Jackson, Quentin, Williams, Varner, Kroeger, Hall - fine with me.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't if this is true but a guy in the SoSH chatroom said Steve Biseff of the OC Register told him a deal with the Angels is almost complete. RJ and Cintron to the Angels for Scott Shields, Ramon Ortiz, minor league prospects Jeff Mathis and Ervin Santana. The Diamondbacks have agreed to pay $5 million of Randy's contract this year. I guess time will only tell if this is true.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
• Toronto Sun: "Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi confirmed yesterday that the Boston Red Sox have made trade inquiries about reliever Terry Adams."

• Philadelphia Inquirer: "ESPN reported that the Phillies initiated discussions with Tampa Bay about a Ryan Howard-for-Rocco Baldelli deal. The Devil Rays weren't interested."

• St. Petersburg Times: "Consider it another sign that the Devil Rays have a better team. Even the trade rumors they're involved in are getting bigger. The latest was some ESPN chatter that they were talking to the Phillies about a deal to trade Rocco Baldelli for some top prospects, but that managing general partner Vince Naimoli killed the deal."

• Bergen Record: "Randy Johnson is handcuffing the Diamondbacks by indicating he will only waive his no-trade clause in a deal for the Yankees. Trouble is, the Bombers have only three top prospects, Class AAA catcher Dioner Navarro, Class AAA second baseman Robinson Cano, and former Seton Hall Prep third baseman Eric Duncan, who is in his first year in the Yankee system."

• Bergen Record: "But what's a day without a Randy Johnson rumor? The latest is that the Diamondbacks, who've been scouting the Yankees' top minor league teams, are interested in Brad Halsey, the left-hander at Class AAA Columbus who was 1-2 and beat the Dodgers last month during his short stint in the majors."

• Los Angeles Times: "The Arizona Diamondbacks are not expected to ask Randy Johnson to approve a trade until next week, if at all. By then, as the trading deadline nears, the Angels hope Arizona might consider a package that does not include more than one of their three top prospects — Dallas McPherson, catcher Jeff Mathis and first baseman Casey Kotchman. The Angels have scouted Pittsburgh Pirate pitcher Kris Benson as well, but they're not willing to trade any of those three prospects for him."

• Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "If Kris Benson is to be traded by the Pirates before the July 31 trading deadline, he has one more start left with them — Monday night against Atlanta at PNC Park. His next scheduled start would be July 31 in a Saturday night game in Milwaukee."

• Philadelphia Daily News: "The Pirates daily seem less and less likely to trade hot starter Kris Benson before the July 31 deadline. The Phillies' best reported offer so far — Double A first baseman Ryan Howard — doesn't seem likely to get it done."

• New York Daily News: "The Dodgers, according to baseball insiders, have no shot at Arizona's Randy Johnson and aren't that interested in Pittsburgh's Kris Benson. Johnson and Benson are believed to be the top two pitchers available, and it is questionable just how available Johnson is, anyway. ... They reportedly are interested in outfielder Carlos Beltran, whom Houston got from Kansas City last month when the Astros still thought they were contenders but whom the Astros might now flip to another team for prospects."

• Detroit News: "Dave Dombrowski confirmed Thursday that clubs have been calling him about various players. He will not identify the players or the clubs inquiring, but it is widely known that closer Ugueth Urbína is the Tigers’ top draw. ... Beyond Urbína, a Tigers team in a spin-off mode might consider trading Rondell White for a strong prospect, or, perhaps, left-hander Mike Maroth, given that Wilfredo Ledezma has a solid shot at replacing Maroth in the rotation."

Be sure to wipe off your keyboard skrable.

• St. Paul Pioneer Press: "There's little doubt that first baseman Doug Mientkiewicz and Michael Restovich are prime bait in Twins trade talks."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard