Trade rumors

AZZenny

Reaction score
If they trade any of our top prospects for anything but much better starting pitching, they should be taken out and horsewhipped.

Hillenbrand should go, not Tracy - Trace will be cheap for several more years, and Hillenbrand won't - and he's not the ballplayer Tracy will rapidly become. (See: Lyle Overbay.)

Trade Cintron rather than Santos.

What a mess - JUST REBUILD!! Forget about contending and rebuilding at the same time - JUST REBUILD.

Oh, and Gammons sometimes just makes things up, that's been documented elsewhere.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
They have like a bazillion gagillion dollars invested in Koch, now they have this Asian guy who apparently has assumed the closer role. I saw his highlights on ESPN and he has some nice stuff, but I can't remember his name :?
Yeah...Koch though has completely lost velocity, so therefore he's a virtual non-factor....

Takatsu is who you were referring to.....I was desperate to acquire him in my Fantasy League since the current tandem of closers I have (Chacon, Julio, and Frasor) have been horrible..... Takatsu though is in his mid-30s and probably doesnt have much left in him.... They also have Politte, but he too has been erratic all throughout his career, so if theyre in contention in the the AL Central...they'll immediately seek a closer over anything else....

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
I should have mentioned those were the draft experts that were expecting him to eventually move to 3B, not people in the organization.

In a normal season I would agree with you but this season is a bit different than normal. As of this point there are several teams that are considered in their respective races.

If things stay the way they are when the trading deadline comes around, there is going to be a bidding war for players. Finley is considered the 2nd best OF available at this point and Bautista has been raising his value with his clutch play thus far this season. It could be very interesting and potentially very good for the Dbacks future.

I won't disagree with you on that point.
You made several solid points there....definitely difficult to refute them....

It's just that the Dbacks must remain patient and not settle for damaged goods like they did this past offseason.....

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
If they trade any of our top prospects for anything but much better starting pitching, they should be taken out and horsewhipped.

Hillenbrand should go, not Tracy - Trace will be cheap for several more years, and Hillenbrand won't - and he's not the ballplayer Tracy will rapidly become. (See: Lyle Overbay.)

Trade Cintron rather than Santos.

What a mess - JUST REBUILD!! Forget about contending and rebuilding at the same time - JUST REBUILD.

Oh, and Gammons sometimes just makes things up, that's been documented elsewhere.
I dont know if Cintron would generate much trade interest since he's been very inconsistent at the plate and still struggles with the fundamentals defensively and on the basepaths.....Since he's beyond 25...he really doesnt have that much of an upside compared to Santos......

The Royals want Tracy over Hillenbrand for the reason you mentioned..... They much rather acquire their "long-term" answer now at 3B......

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Hillenbrand - Garcia is not going to happen. The DBacks are going to have to throw in a top prospect for that to go down because his value has gone way up because a) he's the only SP worth a damn that's available; b) the Red Sox & Yankees have had injuries to their pitching staffs. c) who doesn't need starting pitching?

Beltran is going to sign with the Yankees in the offseason, so there is no point in trading for him unless we already have a 3-way deal in place that we like. Centerfield is the Yanks only weak spot offensively, and when Yanks are going to lose in the playoffs again this year because they can't play defense (Georgie thinks home runs = world series championships), they'll be the only ones willing to spend the jack on Beltran that Boras wants. At $15 mil a year the DBacks won't be able to sign him and Drew for the $10 million guaranteed he's going to want unless...

It sucks to say this because the guy is a HOFer, but trading Johnson seriously needs to be looked at if this team is out of it before the trade deadline. If they could get one of Bobby Jenks, Dallas MacPherson, Ervin Santana, Casey Kotchman, or Jeff Mathis plus John Lackey and a mid-level prospect from the Halos they'd be stupid not to take it. Same thing if the Friars are interested and are willling to give up Sean Burroughs, Dennis Tankersley, etc. Although I doubt a Garagiola would pull off a trade within the division, I'm thinking Randy would only allow a trade to a West Coast team, if at all.

If the DBacks can get Nady for Finley or Bautista they should jump at the first opportunity.

EDIT: Keep in mind, these are only musings and not rumors.

Last edited:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I could see Randy accepting a trade to the Angles, cuz if I remember right he almost signed there in 99, but chose to sign with us instead.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Anaheim would be a perfect fit for Johnson. Especially considering they have no left handed pitchers...Washburn (whom I think is the most underrated pitcher in the game next to Randy Wolf) and that Bergman kid who I don't care for. What I would most be interested in seeing is how Arte Moreno deals with the D'backs....

Is there some animosity there?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Hillenbrand - Garcia is not going to happen. The DBacks are going to have to throw in a top prospect for that to go down because his value has gone way up because a) he's the only SP worth a damn that's available; b) the Red Sox & Yankees have had injuries to their pitching staffs. c) who doesn't need starting pitching?

Beltran is going to sign with the Yankees in the offseason, so there is no point in trading for him unless we already have a 3-way deal in place that we like. Centerfield is the Yanks only weak spot offensively, and when Yanks are going to lose in the playoffs again this year because they can't play defense (Georgie thinks home runs = world series championships), they'll be the only ones willing to spend the jack on Beltran that Boras wants. At $15 mil a year the DBacks won't be able to sign him and Drew for the $10 million guaranteed he's going to want unless...

It sucks to say this because the guy is a HOFer, but trading Johnson seriously needs to be looked at if this team is out of it before the trade deadline. If they could get one of Bobby Jenks, Dallas MacPherson, Ervin Santana, Casey Kotchman, or Jeff Mathis plus John Lackey and a mid-level prospect from the Halos they'd be stupid not to take it. Same thing if the Friars are interested and are willling to give up Sean Burroughs, Dennis Tankersley, etc. Although I doubt a Garagiola would pull off a trade within the division, I'm thinking Randy would only allow a trade to a West Coast team, if at all.

If the DBacks can get Nady for Finley or Bautista they should jump at the first opportunity.

EDIT: Keep in mind, these are only musings and not rumors.

Every quote I've read says Randy has no interest at all in a trade.

I think Randy is a rare individual. I hope he stays here and retires a Dback. Another great thing about Randy is that he has always said he will retire if he can't get it done anymore. At that point in time the cap space vacated can be used to sign a big name or two.

Why do you want to get rid of the best Lefty in baseball?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Every quote I've read says Randy has no interest at all in a trade.

I think Randy is a rare individual. I hope he stays here and retires a Dback. Another great thing about Randy is that he has always said he will retire if he can't get it done anymore. At that point in time the cap space vacated can be used to sign a big name or two.

Why do you want to get rid of the best Lefty in baseball?

I don't think RJ will get traded, which I mentioned in my post. It's also far from a definite that he will stay here, especially if he's encouraged to leave a la Schilling.

I really don't want to trade RJ but I also grasp the big picture. The fact remains that trading Johnson would most likely be better for the long-term situation of the franchise both financially and on the field. If he was traded, not only would you lose his huge contract, but you would also gain at least one MLB-ready player, a can't-miss prospect, and a average prospect. So the team would gain three big names (two you mentioned with cleared money + can't miss prospect) as well as a MLB-ready player and another prospect. Or we can watch him finish out his contract here playing for mediocre teams with no fans in the seats while paying him over $15mil a season.

Do you think the Mariners wanted to trade Griffey or Johnson? No, but they did it for the long-term benefit of the franchise (see 2000-2002 Mariners). Putting RJ on the trade block now is going to bring in a wealth of prospects and players that will help this team when they are ready to contend again. The DBacks are going to have to rebuild at some point, I think they should go ahead and get on with it and plan for 2006-2007, than pull the half-ass manuevering that they're doing now.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I really don't want to trade RJ but I also grasp the big picture. The fact remains that trading Johnson would most likely be better for the long-term situation of the franchise both financially and on the field. If he was traded, not only would you lose his huge contract, but you would also gain at least one MLB-ready player, a can't-miss prospect, and a average prospect. So the team would gain three big names (two you mentioned with cleared money + can't miss prospect) as well as a MLB-ready player and another prospect. Or we can watch him finish out his contract here playing for mediocre teams with no fans in the seats while paying him over $15mil a season.

Thats one strategy. But how often are those top level prospects busts? Its a tough thing to decide.

I'm not willing to trade a sure fire Hall of Famer that helps this team now (not only with his pitching but with his teaching the baby back pitchers) unless 2 conditions are met:

1) There is no way that RJ will stay here
2) The Dbacks are overwhelmed with a trade offer they get for him

Otherwise I want him to stay on this team an retire a Dback

Do you think the Mariners wanted to trade Griffey or Johnson? No, but they did it for the long-term benefit of the franchise (see 2000-2002 Mariners). Putting RJ on the trade block now is going to bring in a wealth of prospects and players that will help this team when they are ready to contend again. The DBacks are going to have to rebuild at some point, I think they should go ahead and get on with it and plan for 2006-2007, than pull the half-ass manuevering that they're doing now.

Actually thats wrong. The Mariners did want to trade Randy Johnson. They thought his career was over and that he would never recover from his back injuries (Remember the year they traded Randy Johnson, he was mediocre before the trading deadline).

4 Cy Young awards and a World Series co-MVP award later, Randy Johnson is pitching better than ever. Oops for the Mariners

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Thats one strategy. But how often are those top level prospects busts? Its a tough thing to decide.

I'm not willing to trade a sure fire Hall of Famer that helps this team now (not only with his pitching but with his teaching the baby back pitchers) unless 2 conditions are met:

1) There is no way that RJ will stay here
2) The Dbacks are overwhelmed with a trade offer they get for him

Otherwise I want him to stay on this team an retire a Dback

Actually thats wrong. The Mariners did want to trade Randy Johnson. They thought his career was over and that he would never recover from his back injuries (Remember the year they traded Randy Johnson, he was mediocre before the trading deadline).

4 Cy Young awards and a World Series co-MVP award later, Randy Johnson is pitching better than ever. Oops for the Mariners

The only way the Dbacks trade Randy is if Randy comes to them and asks for a trade.

I personally don't think that will happen. Randy puts his family above everything and he talks a lot about how they're happy here.

Randy Johson is the greatest professional athlete the state of AZ has ever had PERIOD.

Curt wanted to be traded. He is all about playing for a winner. Randy just wins.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
devilalum, evil ash -

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. If keeping Johnson means the team is going to win seventy games instead of fifty-five, I'd prefer to trade him, put his huge contract towards two quality SPs in free agency, and add the wealth of prospects he's going to demand in a trade to our very average, pitching-inferior farm system.

The only team that would make sense for a Johnson trade would be Anaheim, who has one of the best farm systems in the game and the future stars I mentioned earleir. If the DBacks were able to pry Dallas McPherson and John Lackey away from Moreno as well as a couple of other prospects, you guys woudn't entertain the idea of trading RJ?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
devilalum, evil ash -

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. If keeping Johnson means the team is going to win seventy games instead of fifty-five, I'd prefer to trade him, put his huge contract towards two quality SPs in free agency, and add the wealth of prospects he's going to demand in a trade to our very average, pitching-inferior farm system.

The only team that would make sense for a Johnson trade would be Anaheim, who has one of the best farm systems in the game and the future stars I mentioned earleir. If the DBacks were able to pry Dallas McPherson and John Lackey away from Moreno as well as a couple of other prospects, you guys woudn't entertain the idea of trading RJ?

I didn't say I wouldn't entertain it. I said I would only trade him if he asked for a trade and since he has a no trade clause in his contract, it becomes ever the more difficult to trade him. Remember he has to agree to it and if he is that happy here he's not going to agree to a trade anywhere.

Like you said if they overwhelm them with prospects (which was one of my conditions of trading him) and Randy wants to go (the other condition of trading him, which is a must due to his no-trade clause) then I'm all for it. Its just up to Randy if he wants to stay here or not

BTW I agree that the best fit trading partner for him would be Anaheim due to them being competitive and he has family living near that area

AZZenny

Reaction score
Freddy Garcia and Ben Davis to Chicago White Sox for Miguel Olivo and two youngsters, apparently.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
Freddy Garcia and Ben Davis to Chicago White Sox for Miguel Olivo and two youngsters, apparently.

If the Hillenbrand-Garcia rumors were true, today's trade completely illustrates the lack of foresight and creativity of Joe Garagiola Jr. and why he is one of the worst GMs in baseball.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
If the Hillenbrand-Garcia rumors were true, today's trade completely illustrates the lack of foresight and creativity of Joe Garagiola Jr. and why he is one of the worst GMs in baseball.

i don't think i could ever call jr one of the worst..... he has won a world series.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Neyer on ESPN Insider today has an article trying to comprehend what the DBacks are doing and why. He pretty much says there's no logical reason why everyone is not on the trading block, including Johnson. Says the only teams capable of an RJ trade are the usual suspects, NY and Boston as well as Anaheim and Philly. Philly also figures to be in the mix for Finley with San Diego.

I was listening to the radio today and some guy hit the nail on the head. Most of us fans want these trades to be discussed, but do we really trust Garagiola to make these big of transactions considering his track record with major deals. There is a lot of potential players that could be had for these names. Xavier Nady, Dennis Tankersley, Kevin Youkilis, perhaps Marlon Byrd just to name a few. Personally, I want to trade with Philly as their GM seems to be just as inept and confusing as Garagiola.

AZZenny

Reaction score
I want us to hire Billy Beane as a trade consultant before we let Joe do a single thing.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Trades are made by the organization.

To make good trades you have to have good scouts at every level..

Joe Jr. doesn't watch every minor league player on earth play. When he makes a trade he has to rely on scouting reports. I'm not impressed with our organizations eye for talent top to bottom.

Have you ever listened to the weekly farm report during home games? One month the scouting guy is talking up some player like he's the second coming of Willie Mays and the next month its like the guy died.

The Dbacks have been in existance since 98 and they don't have one home grown star. Webb may become the first but I wouldn't go that far yet.

When Buck was around the team made some good trades and signed some key free agents. Thats why they won it all. When was the last Dback trade that seemed like a deal for our side?

AZZenny

Reaction score
If all you listen to is the farm report at home games, you do not know our minor leagues. Since Mike Rizzo and his guys came aboard about 4-5 years back, we have drafted smartly. A different scouting and selection process is involved in JoeBlows' trade determinations - so don't indict our farm system based on his trade decisions. (For ex - Fins may only want to go to one or two teams, and he can veto a trade otherwise. San Diego does NOT have a real strong farm system so we may not be able to get anything really productive, but that won't stop Joe. I'm sure they have a halt, lame, or blind pitcher stashed somewhere. Likewise, IF RJ agrees to a trade, the teams that could afford him may not be teams that have really good prospects - i.e., NOT Red Sox or Yankees.)

We have two prospects in baseball America's 25 Hot Prospects sheet for this week - Conor Jackson, stud OF extraordinaire and picked for the All Star Weekend Futures game, and Josh Kroeger, also OF with solid bat and a great arm, who will be up here much sooner. We also have two in the "almost made the top 25" list, both just up to El Paso - Pitcher Matt Chico, and OF Carlos Quentin, who hit one of the two or three longest HR in recent memory in the California High-A league. We have several other very promising players - Jesus Cota, Marland Williams, Neb Brown, Luis Terrero, Chris Snyder, Sergio Santos, pitchers Matt Henrie, Dustin Nippert, William Juarez.

The future is NOT grim, but it IS the future, not now. We're looking 2 full years away at least before the pieces are mostly in place, and presuming some wise supplementation from outside the system. And no more really dumb trades and lame acquisitions...But that's like hoping it won't be Shea or Alex coming up to bat with the bases loaded next time. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
• Arizona Republic: "Steve Finley hit his team-leading 19th home run and nearly hit another with a double off the center field wall in front of scouts from Boston and the Chicago Cubs on Monday night."

• Seattle Times: "According to varied sources, and some rumor, second baseman Bret Boone and reliever Mike Myers could be traded to the New York Yankees, first baseman John Olerud to the Boston Red Sox and shortstop Rich Aurilia back to the National League."

• Seattle Post-Intelligencer: "So when word came from the East Coast yesterday that the Mariners were going to follow up the trade of Freddy Garcia with a trade of Jamie Moyer, GM Bill Bavasi shot it down. The Red Sox and the Yankees, two teams with interest in Moyer, had better look elsewhere."

• Denver Post: "The Red Sox called. The Padres inquired. And the Yankees, if talk radio is to be believed, have interest in Jason Jennings. Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said Monday night that the former rookie of the year is not going anywhere... Because they have no financial limitations, the Yankees might be tempted to make a run at center fielder Preston Wilson."

• Baltimore Sun: "Still looking to strengthen their bullpen, the Orioles have been scouting Boston Red Sox right-hander Ramiro Mendoza. But a high-ranking baseball official said the Orioles probably won't deal for him."

• Fort Worth Star-Telegram: "The Rangers know they could use another big bat in the middle of the order, and the Colorado Rockies are dangling Jeromy Burnitz. The Rangers mull that one, as well as other possibilities. They could use another starting pitcher, and the Pittsburgh Pirates look to move Kris Benson, but want an impact position player in return."

• Chicago Tribune: "The latest rumors have Magglio Ordoñez going to Atlanta for either pitcher Russ Ortíz or center fielder Andruw Jones."

• Minneapolis Star-Tribune: "Brad Radke's contract expires at the end of the season, and the wait is on to see if the Twins will keep him or part ways with one of the most reliable pitchers in club history."

• New York Post: "The Phillies were dangling Kevin Millwood but stopped when Vicente Padilla went on the DL. Seattle lefty Jamie Moyer is available, but is owed a base of $3 million next year, when he will pitch at 42 and doesn't instill October confidence. Pittsburgh's Kris Benson, whom the Yankees scouted last week, is on the block. The Braves will wait until late July before deciding to move Russ Ortiz. If the Dodgers drop out of the AL West chase, lefty Odalis Perez, who would be a very good fit for the Yankees, will be shopped since he is a free agent after the season."

• New York Daily News: "There are several names making the rounds of the baseball grapevine, such as Atlanta's Russ Ortíz, Colorado's Jason Jennings, Seattle's Jamie Moyer and Pittsburgh's Kris Benson ... The Yankees also are holding out hope that Arizona's Randy Johnson becomes available if the Diamondbacks, who are the second-worst team in the National League, keep plummeting. Some Yankee officials believe that Johnson wants out, despite assertions by Arizona's owners that Johnson won't be traded."

• Newark Star-Ledger: "The Yankees continue to ponder a possible trade for Seattle left-hander Jamie Moyer and would like to see Atlanta right-hander Russ Ortíz pitch again before deciding whether to pursue him."

• Bergen Record: "Naturally, the air is thick with rumors. Randy Johnson can still be lured away from the Diamondbacks. David Wells is ready for a third stint in pinstripes. The Mets are ready to deal Al Leiter or Tom Glavine or both. The ageless Jamie Moyer is a phone call away, as is Pittsburgh's Kris Benson. None of the scenarios, however, are close to becoming a reality, even on the eve of this showdown with the Red Sox."

• Newsday: "The Yankees missed out on Seattle's Freddy Garcia, but Jamie Moyer still interests them. Joe Torre has spoken highly of the 41-year-old."

• Bergen Record: "Having lost out to the White Sox on starter Freddy Garcia, the Yankees still may be able to deal with the Mariners. Yankees' scouts also have been keeping an eye on Seattle's veteran left-handed starter Jamie Moyer and lefty relief specialist Mike Myers ... Along with the Mariners, the Yankees will stay in touch with the Blue Jays (Miguel Batísta), Padres (David Wells), and Braves (Russ Ortíz)."

• New York Daily News: "The Yankees promoted catcher Dioner Navarro and infielder Robinson Cano, two of their top prospects, from Double-A to Triple-A yesterday ... The Mariners and Royals were in Trenton before trading Freddy Garcia and Carlos Beltran, respectively, and the Braves visited there recently, along with the Giants, Phillies and Rockies. The Rockies could be making starter Jason Jennings available."

(As an aside, Jennings doesn't seem to ring true. But, as one paper pointed out, Preston Wilson might.)

• New York Daily News: "Asked about recent published reports that said the Yankees were interested in Colorado outfielder Preston Wilson or Arizona infielder Roberto Alomar, GM Brian Cashman reiterated, 'I have no interest in anything other than pitching.' "

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
These RJ to NY theories really need to stop. Yes, Garagiola is a moron, but the Yankees have absolutely no tradeable assets other than maybe Contreras, who's definitely older than his advertised 33. Garagiola needs to get proven prospects in exchange for RJ, and I think Boston fits the bill more than NY. Anaheim, San Diego, and Philadelphia would be the best options.