Trade rumors

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Just heard on 1090 in SD, they are speculating that SD may be trying to get Steve Finley for center field in their new ball park. :shrug:

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Our Phillies insider who has posted trades several hours before they hit the wires said that the Phillies are definitely talking with the D-Backs about a trade for Finley.

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peter Gammons is mentioning Finley, Bautista and Mantei could be traded. If they trade these guys they need to get some big-time pitching prospects. I would bet Finley would okay a deal to a California team.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Finley still keeps a house in San Diego

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got this from Jason Stark's article.

Arizona is going to have a tough call next month on whether to trade Steve Finley, among others. And Finley, as a 10-and-5 man, can veto any deal. But if Finley does hit the market, the Diambondbacks could position him as a fabulous center-field alternative to Carlos Beltran.

"I would trade for Steve Finley in a heartbeat," says one scout. "He's a 39-year-old in a 28-year-old body. He stays in there against left-handers. He plays hard. He runs hard. He's still got great instincts in center field. He's a guy they could trade in July, then re-sign in November. You know the two places he prefers to play are Arizona and San Diego."

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
• Marlins have their eye on Arizona catcher Brent Mayne

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Peter Gammons reported that the Diamondbacks could be willing to trade Tracy and Santos for Beltran.

He also said Grady Little could replace Brenly.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
Peter Gammons reported that the Diamondbacks could be willing to trade Tracy and Santos for Beltran.

Thats interesting due to the reports that the Dbacks are going to cut payroll and not add to it. I guess they've changed their minds then

If Brenly is going to be fired, this one guy I wouldn't mind as his replacement

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Zona90 said:

WOW! Beltran AND Sexson to long term deals next season...that is a huge risk IMO. Losing either one to FA would hurt...bad

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Also, a trade for Beltran would spell the end of Randy Johnson I would think. Beltran is due 6 million during the remainder of the season. No way we can afford that with RJ on the payroll

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
To have Beltran and Sexson on this team for the future would be amazing. One thing that I haven't noticed anyone comment on is the fact that now that Colangelo won't be running the Suns too, do you think there is a chance he will focus more on baseball money wise? If we were able to get Beltran for those two players, IMO you have to do it...he is one of the best if not best players in baseball. A Switch-hitting CF who can hit .300 with 25HRs and 40SBs would help this team out so much

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BirdMan21 said:
One thing that I haven't noticed anyone comment on is the fact that now that Colangelo won't be running the Suns too, do you think there is a chance he will focus more on baseball money wise?
Colangelo has only a 1% financial interest in the Diamondbacks, he sold his shares when they got the 160 million influx late last year

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been "out-of-the-loop" in terms of this message board over the past couple weeks, so please dont mind me.... Although, I do remember this azcentral.com article from this past April....

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/04cactus/0303dbackfinances03.hmtl

Here were some key points

So much for the Arizona Diamondbacks living on a budget.

The baseball team's key investors on Tuesday said in an interview that they would raise an additional $99 million in equity during the next decade and allow fans to buy personal seat licenses. Both proposals would generate money to retain star players and pursue outside talent.
"We now have the capability to re-sign any player on our roster," said Jerry Colangelo, who becomes the team's chairman and chief executive officer under the new financing plan

Colangelo and the investors, who include three Valley millionaires and a Canadian businessman, said the new money, which could generate $14 million annually, could be used this year if the team needs a player during a pennant chase.
One question though....Is Peter Gammons the most repuable source? It seems that he's been wrong on the majority of the ocassions.....

Anyways, the Royals wouldnt mind Tracy since they've been desperately trying to trade Joe Randa (and have been pursuing both Burroughs and Xaiver Nady from the Padres).....

Would this signify that Shea Hillenbrand might get a long-term deal to remain as the Dbacks 3B past this season, or do they actually have enough confidence in Olson as their solution at that position?

I would only trade Santos contingent on the Dbacks signing Stephen Drew since Cintron to me really isnt the long-term answer at SS (and I believe the Dbacks believe so as well since they wouldnt sacrifice a 1st rd selection on Drew, in spite of him being the "BPA"....

If the Dbacks do acquire Beltran....I wonder if Finley would waive his trade clause (since its inevitable that he would be dealt immediately), and Bautista would generate much in return since I envision Terrero or Noochie Varner being the every day RF in '05.......

Grady Little would be the perfect manager since he's had a lot of experience with younger players, however, I would be more inclined to hire Pedrique....

It will be interesting to see on how all materializes over the next couple months....

Last edited:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
One question though....Is Peter Gammons the most repuable source? It seems that he's been wrong on the majority of the ocassions.....
He catches a nut here and there, but mostly he is usually dead wrong.

Anyways, the Royals wouldnt mind Tracy since they've been desperately trying to trade Joe Randa (and have been pursuing both Burroughs and Xaiver Nady from the Padres).....

Would this signify that Shea Hillenbrand might get a long-term deal to remain as the Dbacks 3B past this season, or do they actually have enough confidence in Olson as their solution at that position?
The Royals have said they are firm in wanting a 3B and C prospect in return for Beltran. I feel that Shea Hillenbrand has showed he is a fine option at 3B and should be given a deal. He is not a prototypical power hitter but he has shown some pop in the bat and gets the job done.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
The Royals have said they are firm in wanting a 3B and C prospect in return for Beltran. I feel that Shea Hillenbrand has showed he is a fine option at 3B and should be given a deal. He is not a prototypical power hitter but he has shown some pop in the bat and gets the job done.
The Dbacks are loaded at catching in the minors with (especially Craig Ausman and Chris Snyder).....I wonder if the Royals would be willing to accept one of those opposed to Santos....If Drew is indeed signed and groomed to be the Dbacks SS of the future...I would convert Santos into either an 1B or 3B (especially with his height).....

I would then try to peddle Hillendbrand and revist those "rumored" trade discussions with the Mariners for Freddie Garcia (since the Mariners are even more desperate for a 3B than the Royals).....

The Dbacks must obviously invest more money into their much "maligned" starting rotation....I know Garcia is a FA after the end of this season, but he has the potential to be an excellent front-line starter and has proven himself capable of being one..... The reason why the Mariners want to unload him is because they are trying to reduce down their payroll and have a surplus of younger cheaper starters waiting in the wings......

Garcia would eventually replace Johnson as the #1, with Webb at #2, and beyond that it's difficult to gauge since Gosling still hasnt reached the next step and I guess Rosario wont return back to the Dbacks organization.......

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
The Dbacks are loaded at catching in the minors with (especially Craig Ausman and Chris Snyder).....I wonder if the Royals would be willing to accept one of those opposed to Santos....If Drew is indeed signed and groomed to be the Dbacks SS of the future...I would convert Santos into either an 1B or 3B (especially with his height).....

When he was drafted, many people expected him to make the switch from SS to 3B.

The Dbacks must obviously invest more money into their much "maligned" starting rotation....I know Garcia is a FA after the end of this season, but he has the potential to be an excellent front-line starter and has proven himself capable of being one..... The reason why the Mariners want to unload him is because they are trying to reduce down their payroll and have a surplus of younger cheaper starters waiting in the wings......

They are going to try to get pitching prospects for when they trade Finley and Bautista. If they got Beltran, I don't think they'd trade for another potential FA that will ask for a ton of cash in the offseason.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
I think Santos is a great prospect, but they have Angel Berroa at SS, he is even better at this point. I wonder if Santos could be moved to another position? He is a tall kid, like 6'3". Santos is certainly expendable if they can get Drew signed, and actually opens his path to the majors within 2-3 years quite nicely

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
I would then try to peddle Hillendbrand and revist those "rumored" trade discussions with the Mariners for Freddie Garcia (since the Mariners are even more desperate for a 3B than the Royals).....
The White Sox are apparently the favorite right now to land Garcia, but who knows?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
They are going to try to get pitching prospects for when they trade Finley and Bautista. If they got Beltran, I don't think they'd trade for another potential FA that will ask for a ton of cash in the offseason.
Even if the D'backs did trade for Beltran they may even get a better return by simply trading him again....sort of like what Florida did with Piazza.

Royals want a 3B and C, well the D'backs need different pieces to their puzzle. I have to think that the 'Backs winning 6 out of the last 10 in the weakest division in baseball might alter some plans if they keep winning

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
When he was drafted, many people expected him to make the switch from SS to 3B.
Thanks for pointing that I out....I actually wasnt aware of that.... I just wonder though why they havent switched him over to 3B as of yet?

I meant it would be an either or scenario.....That being....To pursue Beltran or an established ML caliber pitcher....

The main drawback in depending on Finley or Bautista's "redeemable value" is that the other teams involved in the trade would be only willing to part with lower level pitching prospects...especially since they know that Finley or Bautista would be just "rent-a-players" and wouldnt offer their best prospects....Only if the Dbacks would package some other middle IF or minor league starters of their own....

The Dbacks have a lot more better quality OF prospects than they do pitchers....I would rather see the likes of Terrero, Marland Williams (who would make a major impact by next season), Noochie Varner (who will be up during the Sept call-ups), and even Victor Hill has immense potential.....Those OF prospects combine just as much speed and power than Beltran (and I believe Beltran has been injury-prone throughout his career) and would come at cheaper cost....

Then once one evaluates the Dbacks pitching, their top pitching prospects are too few and far between, so adding someone like Garcia would fill a greater need than Beltran...Dont get me wrong....I would be absolutely thrilled if the Dbacks acquired Beltran, however, there would be too many 10-9 type defeats since noone will be effective in the rotation...

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I think Santos is a great prospect, but they have Angel Berroa at SS, he is even better at this point. I wonder if Santos could be moved to another position? He is a tall kid, like 6'3". Santos is certainly expendable if they can get Drew signed, and actually opens his path to the majors within 2-3 years quite nicely
I also cant figure out how Santos would enter into the equation for the Royals....Perhaps they'd convert him to a 2B since Relaford and Damian Jackson are not everyday type 2B.... They're in dire need of catching because Benito Santiago is on the verge of retiring and Stinnett is a journeyman type catcher...

I guess I'm not in favor of trading Santos since he seems very sound defensively and posseses lots of power potential...I would create room for him regardless....

Ryanwb said:
The White Sox are apparently the favorite right now to land Garcia, but who knows?
Thats interesting....I think though that the White Sox would rather acquire a closer ahead of a starter.....

Ryanwb said:
Even if the D'backs did trade for Beltran they may even get a better return by simply trading him again....sort of like what Florida did with Piazza.

Royals want a 3B and C, well the D'backs need different pieces to their puzzle. I have to think that the 'Backs winning 6 out of the last 10 in the weakest division in baseball might alter some plans if they keep winning.
You brought-up an excellent point here......

If the Dbacks are actually in contention by July, do they continue to trade away "2nd Generation" prospects each and every year (when they more than likley would be eliminated from the 1st round of the play-offs).... Or do they finally build a nucleus through their farm system? I've had enough of the "quick fix" approach and it's about time to build that foundation.....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Thats interesting....I think though that the White Sox would rather acquire a closer ahead of a starter.....
They have like a bazillion gagillion dollars invested in Koch, now they have this Asian guy who apparently has assumed the closer role. I saw his highlights on ESPN and he has some nice stuff, but I can't remember his name :?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Thanks for pointing that I out....I actually wasnt aware of that.... I just wonder though why they havent switched him over to 3B as of yet?

I should have mentioned those were the draft experts that were expecting him to eventually move to 3B, not people in the organization.

The main drawback in depending on Finley or Bautista's "redeemable value" is that the other teams involved in the trade would be only willing to part with lower level pitching prospects...especially since they know that Finley or Bautista would be just "rent-a-players" and wouldnt offer their best prospects....Only if the Dbacks would package some other middle IF or minor league starters of their own....

In a normal season I would agree with you but this season is a bit different than normal. As of this point there are several teams that are considered in their respective races.

If things stay the way they are when the trading deadline comes around, there is going to be a bidding war for players. Finley is considered the 2nd best OF available at this point and Bautista has been raising his value with his clutch play thus far this season. It could be very interesting and potentially very good for the Dbacks future.

The Dbacks have a lot more better quality OF prospects than they do pitchers....I would rather see the likes of Terrero, Marland Williams (who would make a major impact by next season), Noochie Varner (who will be up during the Sept call-ups), and even Victor Hill has immense potential.....Those OF prospects combine just as much speed and power than Beltran (and I believe Beltran has been injury-prone throughout his career) and would come at cheaper cost....

Then once one evaluates the Dbacks pitching, their top pitching prospects are too few and far between, so adding someone like Garcia would fill a greater need than Beltran...Dont get me wrong....I would be absolutely thrilled if the Dbacks acquired Beltran, however, there would be too many 10-9 type defeats since noone will be effective in the rotation...

I won't disagree with you on that point.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard