Tough Decisions (Offense)

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Steve Keim faces a number of tough decisions in the weeks and months ahead. Each of us has our own opinions as to whether certain players should be re-signed or not. Each of us also has a sense of what positions to address via free agency, trades and the draft. Here are some of mine:

QB

* Carson Palmer---BA says that Palmer will return "with a vengeance." I believe BA and I believe in Palmer.

* Drew Stanton---MJ said he talked recently with Stanton and he wants to return. If that's the case, then that would imply that he concedes his days of vying for a starter's job have passed him by. MJ also said that #2 QBs these days are commanding $4M a year, which is just about what Stanton has been getting from the Cardinals the past three years. I think $4M is too much. So I feel conflicted about Stanton. I wish we had had a chance too see Matt Barkley play in our system, but because SK was willing to spend a draft pick on him, I think that he's they way to go at #2. My instinct tells me that he would be more accurate than Stanton anyway.

* Matt Barkley---my choice for #2 QB.

* Draft a #3---it's a fairly deep crop of QBs this year and I guy I like on Day 3 is Mississippi St.'s Dak Prescott (6-1, 230). Prescott is shorter than the ideal size, but he's tough, he's a leader and he has improved greatly as a passer. I think he eventually could develop into a solid #2 QB in this league. I also remain intrigued by Cardale Jones (6-5, 250, Ohio St.). Sure people will say he's Logan Thomas all over again, but I disagree. He's more accurate. He is a more willing and able runner, and man, he could help us prepare for taking on Cam Newton next year.

RB

* David Johnson---has earned the starting job. The sky is the limit on him.

* Andre Ellington---he is one of the reasons why when teams watch our tape they think the Cardinals can be soft. He is going to have to prove this year that he can stay healthy and focused---and he is going to have to start finishing off runs instead of diving like a QB to the turf.

* Stepfan Taylor---is solid on STs, but BA is loathe to play him in the offense. Maybe he sticks another year, but not if the Cardinals can add a couple of RBs who BA would be confident in playing.

* Kerwynn Williams---I thought he would play better than he did. He looked a little too anxious. He would have to be considered a long-shot at this point.

* Chris Johnson---what I loved about CJ was his toughness and thank goodness he set the bar for David Johnson because Ellington sure wasn't going to do that. I would like to re-sign him. He knows that it takes 2-3 RBs to carry the load these days. As long as he is one of them, i don't think he would care who starts. The question is money. I would offer him $2M-$2.4M with added incentives.

* Marion Grice---he was hobbled during TC last year. He's got good size and talent---can he be a sleeper?

* Robert Hughes---I would have kept him over Stepfan Taylor because of his versatility. And while BA says he hates using a FB, he does use a FB in short yardage situations. Thus, Hughes, if highly motivated, could make his case.

* UFA---my two favorites are Chris Ivory (Jets) and Lamar Miller (Dolphins). It's likely that they will command more money than what we would be willing to offer them.

WR

* Larry Fitzgerald---I would tack on another year at $11M to his contract. Carson Palmer is signed for 2 more years---it makes sense to keep Larry signed for two more years as well.

* Michael Floyd---to me he remains an enigma due to the fact that he always seems to be hampered by injuries and while he shows up big in some games, he disappears in others. I think his $7.2M salary is too high. But, then I again I wonder if he will finally have a breakout year, so I am leaning toward keeping him on at the salary if we can't sign him to a cap friendly long-term deal. I would also be curious to see if this time around some team could offer the Cardinals a trade package that would make sense, especially if at this point he is asking for Fitz-type money.

* John Brown---he could have had an even bigger year if Carson Palmer threw the deep passes earlier so that Brown wouldn't have to slow down. This year Brown needs to learn how to fight his way back to the ball on passes that are thrown a little to late.

* J.J. Nelson---this is a big off-season for him in terms of getting stronger and refining his route running. The talent and the desire are there.

* Jaron Brown---wasn't quite the STs player he was in previous years. But, I really believe he could be a poor man's Michael Floyd if he gets in tip-top shape.

* Brittan Golden---played hard on STs and is tough-nosed. But didn't factor into the offense or as a returner.

* Jaxson Shipley---I thought he should have been promoted from the PS to return punts. Clearly, Patrick Peterson is still tepid about his role as a return man. Again, when stuff like that shows up on tape, teams sense the Cardinals can be soft.

* UFA---while it seems unlikely that SK will try to add a WR in FA, a versatile WR that fits our offense very well is Muhammed Sanu (6-2, 210, Bengals). If Sk were to trade Floyd---Sanu would be a splendid addition.

* Draft---the player who is very Muhammed Sanu-like in this draft is Ohio St.'s Braxton Miller (6-2, 215). The coverted QB showed he is a multi-dimensional playmaker at WR, both in receiving and in running the ball.

OL

* Jared Veldheer---like the team in general, he faded some down the stretch. It will be important for him to return 'with a vengeance" as well.

* Mike Iupati---the shoulder issues were legit, but he toughed it out. It would be a boon if he emerges as a leader of the offensive line.

* Jonathan Cooper---apparently he is a high maintenance player in a system that requires the players to manifest a command of the details. Plus, he tends to lose leverage and winds up losing his balance a lot more than what the coaches would like. I do not believe for one second that BA and the coaches are penciling him in as a 2016 starter. And for those of us who were wondering whether the coaches would kick him over to center---if he needs to be debriefed and re-instructed every week for the next game plan at guard---just imagine what that would be like at center where he would have to make the protection calls. One has to wonder if any other team would want to acquire him in a trade---but at his salary, at this point, trading him would seem moot.

* D.J. Humphries---he is penciled in at RT. Actually he is penned in at RT. That has been the plan and the coaches are sticking with it. BA felt he could have played him the second half of the year. He's got the size, feet and athleticism to be be very good.

* Earl Watford---I thought he was outplaying Massie at the beginning of the year. This could be his breakout year, if he gets a chance to win the RG spot, or if he is needed to play RT again.

* A.Q. Shipley---while I do not think BA and HG have him penciled in as the starter, he proved he could play at a solid level when called upon later in the year when Sendlein was ailing. Ideally, they like him as the backup C/G swing player.

* UFA's Lyle Sendlein and Ted Larsen---played hard and at times very solidly. However, Sendlein, at his age and experience, is having trouble holding up physically. And Larsen is a tad on the smallish size---and he did not beat out Shipley as the second center, so that would suggest that he will be elsewhere next year.

* UFA Gs---the three guards whom I think will receive strong attention from Steve Keim are: Alex Boone (6-8, 300, 28, 49ers); Ramon Foster (6-6, 325, 30, Steelers) and Mike Harris (6-5, 318, 27, Vikings).

* Draft---the focus here likely will be on the center position---and they will want to position themselves to take Ryan Kelly (6-4, 297, Alabama) or Nick Martin (6-5, 295, Nortre Dame). Steve Keim will want to take a pass rusher at #29---but if he wants Kelly or Martin, he may have to trade up in Round 2, or sit at #61 and hope that one of them falls into their lap.

TE

* Darren Fells---has emerged as the team's most reliable TE.

* Troy Niklas---has much to prove, especially in terms of staying healthy and in improving his run blocking and receiving skills.

* Gerald Christian---has some versatility as an TE/H-Back and the coaches seem to like him a lot.

* Ifeanyi Momah---if he can stay healthy this time around, he has a decent chance to contribute.

* UFA---Jermaine Gresham seemed for a while (at least) to win the favor of Carson Palmer, but not sure about what the coaches think. He underperformed at the salary of $3M. Chances are that BA might prefer to make a pitch to acquire one if the Colts' UFA TEs, Dwayne Allen (6-3, 265, 25) or Coby Fleener (6-6, 251, 27).

* Draft TEs---can't see SK drafting a TE on Day 1 or 2. But if Nick Vannett (6-6, 260. Ohio St.) or Glenn Gronkowski (6-3, 243, Kansas St.) are available on Day 3, one of them might be enticing.

The way I see the draft going right now:

1. Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky or Carl Nassib, Penn. St.
2. Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama or Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame
3. Xavien Howard, CB, Baylor or Rashard Robinson, CB, LSU

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No surprise, but another spot on post. I agree with you on each guy and even though the draft choices don't seem "sexy", they are needs for sure. DWash completely screwed us on being able to go for a different position besides a pass rusher. As much as I don't like Ohio st, I would love to see Jones or Miller in a Cards uniform. Jones because of his size, strength, accuracy and speed and Miller because of what you can do with him. You can line him up as a WR, QB and even a RB. Wherever these 2 guys end up, I think they will have an impact for those teams

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good write up Mitch.

1) I luv Braxton Miller. He looked great in his 3 days of the Senior Bowl & he's only going to get better. In 2-3 years if he's in the right system he's gonna be a stud! What round would he go in? I'm thinking 2-3.

2) I'm all aboard with pulling PP off PR duties. He's always fair catching the ones he shouldn't & running back ones he should :bang: wtf. Shipley was a pretty good return man down in Austin & a very underrated WR. Hope he gets a legit chance.

3) it's time the Seindlein & Larsen experiment ends! Strengthen the Oline. The pressure up the middle was to constant & Massie had lapses at RT as well. We all know he's gone & DJ is the next in line.

4) I like the possibility of Noah in Rd 1 as well but I've got another thought. What about Sheldon Rankins? I see stud on the back of his nameplate from day 1. He reminds me of John Randle & could dominate in our 3-4 & help free up Calais with some inside pressure.

5) the Pantger playoff game sure did magnify our weaknesses defensively & offensively ugh

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I really like Floyd and hope the Cardinals keep him long term. He is a perfect fit with Brown and Nelson for the future... I had my doubts about Shipley but is exactly the kind of solid role player type that along with Jaron Brown makes our WR group solid, even if Fitzgerald was not in the picture

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like Floyd and hope the Cardinals keep him long term. He is a perfect fit with Brown and Nelson for the future... I had my doubts about Shipley but is exactly the kind of solid role player type that along with Jaron Brown makes our WR group solid, even if Fitzgerald was not in the picture

This I think is key. He needs to be the next Fitz. Not play like Fitz, per say, but be what Fitz does when he is on the field. Makes the WR's better and can fire a crowd up. I think Floyd really wants to stay here too.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd be furious if we draft anything offense-related in the first 3 rounds, even a Center.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Steve Keim faces a number of tough decisions in the weeks and months ahead. Each of us has our own opinions as to whether certain players should be re-signed or not. Each of us also has a sense of what positions to address via free agency, trades and the draft. Here are some of mine:

QB

* Carson Palmer---BA says that Palmer will return "with a vengeance." I believe BA and I believe in Palmer.

* Drew Stanton---MJ said he talked recently with Stanton and he wants to return. If that's the case, then that would imply that he concedes his days of vying for a starter's job have passed him by. MJ also said that #2 QBs these days are commanding $4M a year, which is just about what Stanton has been getting from the Cardinals the past three years. I think $4M is too much. So I feel conflicted about Stanton. I wish we had had a chance too see Matt Barkley play in our system, but because SK was willing to spend a draft pick on him, I think that he's they way to go at #2. My instinct tells me that he would be more accurate than Stanton anyway.

* Draft a #3---it's a fairly deep crop of QBs this year and I guy I like on Day 3 is Mississippi St.'s Dak Prescott (6-1, 230). Prescott is shorter than the ideal size, but he's tough, he's a leader and he has improved greatly as a passer. I think he eventually could develop into a solid #2 QB in this league. I also remain intrigued by Cardale Jones (6-5, 250, Ohio St.). Sure people will say he's Logan Thomas all over again, but I disagree. He's more accurate. He is a more willing and able runner, and man, he could help us prepare for taking on Cam Newton next year.

RB

* Andre Ellington---he is one of the reasons why when teams watch our tape they think the Cardinals can be soft. He is going to have to prove this year that he can stay healthy and focused---and he is going to have to start finishing off runs instead of diving like a QB to the turf.

* Stepfan Taylor---is solid on STs, but BA is loathe to play him in the offense. Maybe he sticks another year, but not if the Cardinals can add a couple of RBs who BA would be confident in playing.

* Kerwynn Williams---I thought he would play better than he did. He looked a little too anxious. He would have to be considered a long-shot at this point.

* Chris Johnson---what I loved about CJ was his toughness and thank goodness he set the bar for David Johnson because Ellington sure wasn't going to do that. I would like to re-sign him. He knows that it takes 2-3 RBs to carry the load these days. As long as he is one of them, i don't think he would care who starts. The question is money. I would offer him $2M-$2.4M with added incentives.

* Marion Grice---he was hobbled during TC last year. He's got good size and talent---can he be a sleeper?

* Robert Hughes---I would have kept him over Stepfan Taylor because of his versatility. And while BA says he hates using a FB, he does use a FB in short yardage situations. Thus, Hughes, if highly motivated, could make his case.

* UFA---my two favorites are Chris Ivory (Jets) and Lamar Miller (Dolphins). It's likely that they will command more money than what we would be willing to offer them.

WR

* Larry Fitzgerald---I would tack on another year at $11M to his contract. Carson Palmer is signed for 2 more years---it makes sense to keep Larry signed for two more years as well.

* Michael Floyd---to me he remains an enigma due to the fact that he always seems to be hampered by injuries and while he shows up big in some games, he disappears in others. I think his $7.2M salary is too high. But, then I again I wonder if he will finally have a breakout year, so I am leaning toward keeping him on at the salary if we can't sign him to a cap friendly long-term deal. I would also be curious to see if this time around some team could offer the Cardinals a trade package that would make sense, especially if at this point he is asking for Fitz-type money.

* John Brown---he could have had an even bigger year if Carson Palmer threw the deep passes earlier so that Brown wouldn't have to slow down. This year Brown needs to learn how to fight his way back to the ball on passes that are thrown a little to late.

* J.J. Nelson---this is a big off-season for him in terms of getting stronger and refining his route running. The talent and the desire are there.

* Jaron Brown---wasn't quite the STs player he was in previous years. But, I really believe he could be a poor man's Michael Floyd if he gets in tip-top shape.

* Brittan Golden---played hard on STs and is tough-nosed. But didn't factor into the offense or as a returner.

* Jaxson Shipley---I thought he should have been promoted from the PS to return punts. Clearly, Patrick Peterson is still tepid about his role as a return man. Again, when stuff like that shows up on tape, teams sense the Cardinals can be soft.

* UFA---while it seems unlikely that SK will try to add a WR in FA, a versatile WR that fits our offense very well is Muhammed Sanu (6-2, 210, Bengals). If Sk were to trade Floyd---Sanu would be a splendid addition.

* Draft---the player who is very Muhammed Sanu-like in this draft is Ohio St.'s Braxton Miller (6-2, 215). The coverted QB showed he is a multi-dimensional playmaker at WR, both in receiving and in running the ball.

OL

* Jared Veldheer---like the team in general, he faded some down the stretch. It will be important for him to return 'with a vengeance" as well.

* Mike Iupati---the shoulder issues were legit, but he toughed it out. It would be a boon if he emerges as a leader of the offensive line.

* Jonathan Cooper---apparently he is a high maintenance player in a system that requires the players to manifest a command of the details. Plus, he tends to lose leverage and winds up losing his balance a lot more than what the coaches would like. I do not believe for one second that BA and the coaches are penciling him in as a 2016 starter. And for those of us who were wondering whether the coaches would kick him over to center---if he needs to be debriefed and re-instructed every week for the next game plan at guard---just imagine what that would be like at center where he would have to make the protection calls. One has to wonder if any other team would want to acquire him in a trade---but at his salary, at this point, trading him would seem moot.

* D.J. Humphries---he is penciled in at RT. Actually he is penned in at RT. That has been the plan and the coaches are sticking with it. BA felt he could have played him the second half of the year. He's got the size, feet and athleticism to be be very good.

* Earl Watford---I thought he was outplaying Massie at the beginning of the year. This could be his breakout year, if he gets a chance to win the RG spot, or if he is needed to play RT again.

* A.Q. Shipley---while I do not think BA and HG have him penciled in as the starter, he proved he could play at a solid level when called upon later in the year when Sendlein was ailing. Ideally, they like him as the backup C/G swing player.

* UFA's Lyle Sendlein and Ted Larsen---played hard and at times very solidly. However, Sendlein, at his age and experience, is having trouble holding up physically. And Larsen is a tad on the smallish size---and he did not beat out Shipley as the second center, so that would suggest that he will be elsewhere next year.

* UFA Gs---the three guards whom I think will receive strong attention from Steve Keim are: Alex Boone (6-8, 300, 28, 49ers); Ramon Foster (6-6, 325, 30, Steelers) and Mike Harris (6-5, 318, 27, Vikings).

* Draft---the focus here likely will be on the center position---and they will want to position themselves to take Ryan Kelly (6-4, 297, Alabama) or Nick Martin (6-5, 295, Nortre Dame). Steve Keim will want to take a pass rusher at #29---but if he wants Kelly or Martin, he may have to trade up in Round 2, or sit at #61 and hope that one of them falls into their lap.

TE

* Troy Niklas---has much to prove, especially in terms of staying healthy and in improving his run blocking and receiving skills.

* Gerald Christian---has some versatility as an TE/H-Back and the coaches seem to like him a lot.

* Ifeanyi Momah---if he can stay healthy this time around, he has a decent chance to contribute.

* UFA---Jermaine Gresham seemed for a while (at least) to win the favor of Carson Palmer, but not sure about what the coaches think. He underperformed at the salary of $3M. Chances are that BA might prefer to make a pitch to acquire one if the Colts' UFA TEs, Dwayne Allen (6-3, 265, 25) or Coby Fleener (6-6, 251, 27).

* Draft TEs---can't see SK drafting a TE on Day 1 or 2. But if Nick Vannett (6-6, 260. Ohio St.) or Glenn Gronkowski (6-3, 243, Kansas St.) are available on Day 3, one of them might be enticing.

1. Noah Spence, OLB, Eastern Kentucky or Carl Nassib, Penn. St.2. Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama or Nick Martin, C, Notre Dame

If you go read the reports on the Senior practices all indications are both these guys have been showing up big time in practices. Nassib has been blowing up ever tackle they put on him. What stands out about him is he has already developed several pass rush moves so he's not a one trick pony. the only problem they mention about Spence is sometimes if a tackle locks him up he has trouble shedding/disengaging the block.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I like Cardale Jones as well.... but we would likely have to trade back into the late second, or move up in the third, in order to get him. This passed season was not so great... but what impressed me were his first three starts... conference championship, bowl game(playoff), national championship.... that is a very high pressure interview and Jones never flinched once... he played very well....and won them all. Accuracy is pretty solid, and dude can throw the ball through a brick wall.
my only concern is whether or not he can learn BA's offense...not saying he is dumb...just saying "I do not know"..there was the twitter incident about coming to play football not to play school...that may indicate he does not enjoy studying much...his response at the time... may indicate he takes the studying seriously.... you just never know with the PR game..... I kinda see Jones as a less athletic Newton who is a bit more low key but who may also be a better passer on day one... Cam had one amazing season in college whereas Jones had a season plus three games...both were low on experience, both completed over 60% of their passes as a starter and both had a QBR over 140....Jones peaked at 160 QBR while Cam peaked at 180
IMO if Cardale interviews well he is well worth a second rounder....then I would sit him behind Palmer for two years...let him learn the offense and how to prepare like a pro.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Cardale Jones as well....
IMO if Cardale interviews well he is well worth a second rounder....then I would sit him behind Palmer for two years...let him learn the offense and how to prepare like a pro.

I too like Jones. Just don't know his mental makeup. Interviews & individual workouts will be critical.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I am going to do the lazy man's analysis. Meaning I am just going to take Mitch's post and comment on it.

Before any comment is made, thank to Mitch for throwing this together and putting his opinions out there for people to tear apart. :D

QB:

Obviously, Carson Palmer is the guy under center for 2016.

I would be very cautious about getting rid of Drew Stanton. You get what you pay for, and Palmer is no spring chicken. Stanton is able to step into any situation and run the offense. Plus Stanton is brash enough that he will take chances and give you a chance to win. I do not think the Cardinals are going to find a better backup for their system, for a better price.

Matt Barkley is a Drew Stanton in training from what I see.

As it stands now ? I do not see a QB coming out of the draft that is going to help this team now, or going forward.

RB:

Unless Chris Johnson takes a VERY team friendly deal, and is OK with being a part-timer, then the Cardinals are entering 2016 with:

David Johnson
Andre Ellington
Kerwynn Williams
[BPA]

There is no reason to cut Ellington, his salary is very low, and he is in a prove it year. Health is something he will have to deal with, his career is in the balance here, not just his spot on the team. Stepfan Taylor I feel is a decent football player, that doesn't have a position.

I would think any other running back brought in, will be a veteran on the prove it deal or a UDFA, or late round pick.

WR:

- Larry Fitzgerald
- Michael Floyd
- John Brown
- Jaron Brown
- JJ Nelson

Jaron Brown is a RFA, that can be re-signed for cheap, the rest are under contract for next season. The only way I see this changing is the Cardinals have the opportunity to upgrade with a late round pick, or something to that effect. That is a wide receiver unit that is the envy of this league.

TE:

I should first point out, that the Cardinals use a "classic Tight End" type player. They are not looking for Jimmie Graham, who is an excellent pass receiver but blocks like Rob Housler on a bad day. That being said:

Darren Fells - is an AWESOME find for the Cardinals. A really good block who is used like a tackle on most plays. He has good hands, and can run with the ball. He is that rare example of a practice squad player developing into a NFL player. There are not too many tight ends I would start in place of Fells in the Cardinals offensive system that are in the NFL. He is the #1 tight end on this team, and should be.

Troy Niklas - The jury is still out on this kid. He has shown a little improvement but no where near enough. He better start watching Darren Fells and how he works at his blocking game, or he is going to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Jermaine Gresham was brought onto this team, and to be honest, I never really got a good look at him with his blocking, yet he played up to his reputation, and was a solid vet.

Ifeanyi Momah, and Gerald Christian were both very much hyped at the beginning of the year by both the coaching staff and the defense, both young men got hurt and it ended their year before it got started.

Again, the Cardinals are not going to be signing, or drafting the big name pass catching tight ends. I would advise when the ASFN draft gurus go out looking at potential tight end that could be brought in, you look for a blocking tight end (their speed really doesn't matter) that can catch relatively well.

This is a wildcard position for the offseaon where I would not be surprised if a few tight ends get brought in, or none at all.

OL:

This position group takes me a long time to analyze. So for the time being I would say:

LT: Veldheer
LG: Iupati <--- Guy was a beast for us this year, and was banged up.
----------------

The rest is going to be interesting. DJ Humphries playing RT for this team next year would be great. I spent a little time looking at his college games again, and the kid has ridiculous feet when he is keyed in.

The biggest situation is going to be depth and who goes where next season.

Last thing I will say is Noah Spence will be a risk pick for the Cardinals, and the only way he lasts until the Cardinals pick, is if people are convinced he has a 10 cent brain. We are just going to get rid of D-Waste this offseason, do we want to take that chance again ?

His athletic ability is EXACTLY what the Cardinals are looking for, so this will be a story to keep an eye on.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald's contract makes it really difficult to tack on additional year(s), I think. I know that Fitz had a nice year, but $11M for two years from now (a $16M cap number) doesn't seem like great value.

I take a back seat to no one in admiring Michael Floyd — let's get that out of the way. But if a team is going to offer a 1st round pick for him, I'm all over it. If the price goes down to a 2nd, I'd rather stick with Floyd and see if he'd sign for $8M per year. The franchise tag value for WRs this year is estimated at over $14.5M.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald's contract makes it really difficult to tack on additional year(s), I think. I know that Fitz had a nice year, but $11M for two years from now (a $16M cap number) doesn't seem like great value.

I take a back seat to no one in admiring Michael Floyd — let's get that out of the way. But if a team is going to offer a 1st round pick for him, I'm all over it. If the price goes down to a 2nd, I'd rather stick with Floyd and see if he'd sign for $8M per year. The franchise tag value for WRs this year is estimated at over $14.5M.

When it comes to Michael Floyd, I have really turned the corner on him. I would really like to see the Cardinals work out a fair contract for him. The wide receiver market is FLOODED in my opinion. I think the Cardinals and Floyd could bang out a good contract for Floyd.

I would like to see him kept on this team for at least 3 or 4 more years.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

* Draft a #3---I also remain intrigued by Cardale Jones (6-5, 250, Ohio St.). Sure people will say he's Logan Thomas all over again, but I disagree. He's more accurate. He is a more willing and able runner, and man, he could help us prepare for taking on Cam Newton next year.

RB

I agree on all these points. We really need a QBOF while BA is here and I would definitely take a shot on Cardale. There is only 1 Logan Thomas, so I am not sure we can compare the two exactly but I think Cardale is a much better QB than Thomas and exactly the type of QB BA loves.

I am still shocked to see Stepfan Taylor on any NFL roster. He has basically operated as our short yardage back (before DJ got going) and he is 5"9/219. We need to draft another young RB to fill that 3rd RB role. I also agree we need to add a veteran (or resign CJ) for the #2 role. As you said, I doubt we can afford to pay Ivory or Miller as they will be looking for much bigger roles.

Lastly...Noah Spence would be a perfect pick but if he keeps playing like he is in the combine/showcases...he will never make it to us.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
When it comes to Michael Floyd, I have really turned the corner on him. I would really like to see the Cardinals work out a fair contract for him. The wide receiver market is FLOODED in my opinion. I think the Cardinals and Floyd could bang out a good contract for Floyd.

I would like to see him kept on this team for at least 3 or 4 more years.

Alshon Jeffrey is a free agent this year. He's the best option on the market (if he gets there). It'll be fascinating to see what kind of deal he gets. I think that Jeffrey is a great comp to Floyd as a somewhat enigmatic physical specimen.

There's very little in free agency at the WR position, and this is allegedly a down draft class at WR. I don't think you're going to get a better market for a deal. Would you trade Floyd to Minneapolis for their second-round pick and Cordarelle Patterson (I don't think Keim ever makes this deal).

I agree on all these points. We really need a QBOF while BA is here and I would definitely take a shot on Cardale. There is only 1 Logan Thomas, so I am not sure we can compare the two exactly but I think Cardale is a much better QB than Thomas and exactly the type of QB BA loves.

I am still shocked to see Stepfan Taylor on any NFL roster. He has basically operated as our short yardage back (before DJ got going) and he is 5"9/219. We need to draft another young RB to fill that 3rd RB role. I also agree we need to add a veteran (or resign CJ) for the #2 role. As you said, I doubt we can afford to pay Ivory or Miller as they will be looking for much bigger roles.

Lastly...Noah Spence would be a perfect pick but if he keeps playing like he is in the combine/showcases...he will never make it to us.

There are always a couple of guys like Kulabafi on NFL rosters. Special teams coaches usually get to take a couple of favorites to the 53, and Taylor is an exceptional special teams player.

As a rusher, he's by no means dynamic, but he averaged 1 attempt per game this year.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
There are always a couple of guys like Kulabafi on NFL rosters. Special teams coaches usually get to take a couple of favorites to the 53, and Taylor is an exceptional special teams player.

As a rusher, he's by no means dynamic, but he averaged 1 attempt per game this year.

#jimdray LOL

Paso Fino

Veteran
Reaction score
I am not enamored with John Brown. He dropped too many passes and later in the season seemed to lose his great speed. Maybe the latter is due to his injury.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

QB

RB

WR

OL

TE

I would like to do a write up but my lord you guys are good.

Thanks...................

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I am not enamored with John Brown. He dropped too many passes and later in the season seemed to lose his great speed. Maybe the latter is due to his injury.

Hamstring injuries are unfortunately a common issue with speedsters. DJax missed 9 weeks because of it and many more games in his early years. Brown had some drop problems, especially in one particular game, but so had Fitz in our biggest game. From what I've seen from Brown he is a natural hands catcher of the football, very smooth despite of the speed at which he usually runs. As for losing speed, I think it was more on the defenses playing deeper zones, knowing BA likes to chuck it downfield. You can't blow the top of a defense when they expect it.

To change this, David Johnson has to be our offensive centerpiece. Palmer is great for us, but put too much pressure on his own shoulders to carry the offense. With our current WR corps we won't become a 55% run-heavy team, but DJ as our centerpiece will open up the deep ball again. In theory, it should also allow Palmer to stay upright and last longer for us until we find our QBOF.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Hamstring injuries are unfortunately a common issue with speedsters. DJax missed 9 weeks because of it and many more games in his early years. Brown had some drop problems, especially in one particular game, but so had Fitz in our biggest game. From what I've seen from Brown he is a natural hands catcher of the football, very smooth despite of the speed at which he usually runs. As for losing speed, I think it was more on the defenses playing deeper zones, knowing BA likes to chuck it downfield. You can't blow the top of a defense when they expect it.

To change this, David Johnson has to be our offensive centerpiece. Palmer is great for us, but put too much pressure on his own shoulders to carry the offense. With our current WR corps we won't become a 55% run-heavy team, but DJ as our centerpiece will open up the deep ball again. In theory, it should also allow Palmer to stay upright and last longer for us until we find our QBOF.

Palmer also needs to get over his infatuation with Brown...the little guy is good,...but he is not good enough to force the pass in to double coverage high and expect him to beat out two defenders who are taller and right on top of him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Palmer also needs to get over his infatuation with Brown...the little guy is good,...but he is not good enough to force the pass in to double coverage high and expect him to beat out two defenders who are taller and right on top of him.

Agreed.