Titans 32 Cardinals 27 Thoughts & Roster Update

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The Titans rookie first round WR is beating our #1 CB and our rookie first round WR is 4th on the depth chart. Oh well maybe they're hiding Floyd like McGinnis did Boldin.

:(

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And drop passes and fail to really jump at all for a fade in the endzone. Hell we can put another TE in his place if we need additional run blocking downfield.

He has been outplayed by Byrd and if he wasn't a first round pick may be on the bubble.
Floyd was out-positioned by the defender so that the only way he could get near the ball on that fade would have meant committing offensive pass interference.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Floyd was out-positioned by the defender so that the only way he could get near the ball on that fade would have meant committing offensive pass interference.

If that's as high as he goes up he won't be getting many.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Granted he is a big guy and when the play is alive downfield he will pick someone out and hammer them.

Last night I focused on him running his routes and he seemed lackadaisical to me. Not alot of enthusiasm on the sideline either compared to Byrd and others. Now I don't know him so it just may be his personality.

He is not a burner so his strong point is using his size to go up and make catches. In a small sample so far in preseason I haven't seen him demonstrate this as a strong point at all.

Giving up on him? Not a chance. Just an up to this point observation and nothing more.

Wow talk about conclusions based on virtually nothing.

You have to remember that NFL coaching staffs have a lot more to judge a player on than a meaningless preseason game(s).

Anquan Boldin had ONE reception in the preseason his rookie year.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Like I said stil should have caught it. ;)

but Skelton also needs to take some off the ball and place it lower.

Poor excuse. He's a #1 and people compare him to Boldin. Boldin blocked and caught the damn ball. His first game as a rook set a record, and he was always able to block. Floyd isn't anywhere near that.

I was all for the Floyd pick, but he isn't doing anything. Blocking downfield and searching out guys is fine, but eventually you have to catch the ball and run routes. He's under-performing considering where we picked him.

I was all for the pick, but given our current problems, it was a stupid pick. We have no decent QB and no oline. Could have spent that pick shoring up the oline to get Fitz the ball, because as it stands now Floyd will never see the ball.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow talk about conclusions based on virtually nothing.

You have to remember that NFL coaching staffs have a lot more to judge a player on than a meaningless preseason game(s).

Anquan Boldin had ONE reception in the preseason his rookie year.

No conclusions but observations based on what I have seen. I am not impressed considering he is a # 1 pick.

The coaches you refer to have him at # 4 on the depth chart.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I have no problem with playing/leaving Young out ther for awhile. It's the pre-season. Why not see what he does against a top rush end and give him time to settle in? It never happened and they pulled him.

They gave him enough time to show that he can't handle the position. That is what pre-season football is all about. There weren't/aren't a whole bunch of other choices at this point. They pretty much know what they have in veteran guys like Bridges and Batiste.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no problem with playing/leaving Young out ther for awhile. It's the pre-season. Why not see what he does against a top rush end and give him time to settle in? It never happened and they pulled him.

They gave him enough time to show that he can't handle the position. That is what pre-season football is all about. There weren't/aren't a whole bunch of other choices at this point. They pretty much know what they have in veteran guys like Bridges and Batiste.

Krang posted pretty much the same thing in one of the many threads on this topic. I mostly agree with both of you.

One concern is that Young was so terrible maybe the coaches should have had a better idea he wasn't ready.

I think Mitch has a solid point in that our OT's don't face elite pass rushers during practice so they don't get the benefit of learning how to deal with this enough.

2nd concern is that this exposed our QB's to injury.

Since it's not a perfect world and the coaches wouldn't have learned much by scheming to help Young all the time then I'm also good with how Whiz and company handled Young.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, you have offense/defense with 25 apiece. My take is offense with 26/24. And I think the extra player will come from a pool of Sampson, Dray and Skelton. I think Sampson is the best of the three, but an extra TE makes up for us only having one FB. I think it will come down to the final PS game, and Byrd, who was great in the first two games will have to show he's better than Sampson.

On Defense as you know Nash is gone, which brings us down to my total of 24. Also, I'm hoping that you are wrong on Adams (Toler). But all in all, another insightful analysis.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't call him disinterested, either.

However, here is a question.

Who would trade Michael Floyd for Riley Rieff right now? I know I would.

I would of took Decastro over Floyd or Reiff simply because I think he

was a safer pick. Give me Blackmon all day over Richardson. Look at

the last three Super Bowl winners.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Great writeup Walter! You hit the nail on the head with this one! I was very pleased with Bobby Massie. He only got beat once while he was in there. It was for a sack, but he was solid and played better than any other tackle. He really looked like he is ready to start the season at RT. I didn't see Ohrnberger get beat at all. I would start him over Sendlein. He is much stronger at the point of attack and finishes his blocks better.

I think your right in thinking that we will keep Powell as our fourth back. He has really come on and he looks good returning kicks as well. I also agree that LaRon Byrd will make the team. He has really had a great preseason for an UDFA rookie. He looks like a keeper for sure. I also agree that Ryan Lindley will beat out Bartel for the third spot.

Everything you said about Skelton and his playing time is so true. Just a few stats that I noticed and wrote down from watching the game.

How many times a back or TE helped to block for the QB in the passing game.
Skelton 6 times.
Kolb 17 times.

How many plays the QB had ample time to throw the ball. (3 seconds or nobody in his face pressuring him.
Skelton 6 times
Kolb 18 times

How many plays each QB had.
Skelton 19
Kolb 29

So for Skelton starting it doesn't look like it was very fair does it. And he didn't get hardly any time in the Oakland game either. I think Whiz and company are trying to give Kolb the starting job and making it appear that its a fair competition.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night was supposed to be an extensive look at John Skelton.

and

Floyd---tough drop that ended Skelton's so-called "extended time.

Where was it ever said that Skelton was gona get extended time? All I ever heard was it was in place the Skelton was gonna start the game..

Sounds more like wishful thinking observation..

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Where was it ever said that Skelton was gona get extended time? All I ever heard was it was in place the Skelton was gonna start the game..

Sounds more like wishful thinking observation..

Even the Cardinal website had an article before the game titled "Skelton's Tennessee Turn (As the QB battle rolls on, third year QB gets chance for extended play)".

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta link or something for that one Mitch? Not saying your wrong.. But I listen to local radio and read as much as i can.. Never heard it..

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This game reminds me so much of the last game that Leinart started (I don't remember for sure, but wasn't it against the Titans also.) Whiz told you tonight who he is going to start. You don't have to look any farther. Next week has no meaning for the qb race.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see the phrase "extended play" in there anywhere..

I see this

Whisenhunt said he wanted to give Skelton the same kind of chance Kolb had last week with more snaps

Theres a lot of coach talk in that article.. I think you just jumped the gun on the extended play part.. Offensive line was brought up too.. So ya know..

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I dont see the phrase "extended play" in there anywhere..

I see this

Theres a lot of coach talk in that article.. I think you just jumped the gun on the extended play part.. Offensive line was brought up too.. So ya know..

Gee---did you read the subtitle of the article?

"Third year pro to be given a chance for extended play."

You CANNOT say that Skelton and Kolb have had the same chance the last two games.

Kolb had ALL of the first half snaps the week before except ONE.

Skelton's one series was the ONLY series he was given in the entire game.

Skelton wasn't given a chance to start the second half---nor a chance to run a two minute drill...the way Kolb was this week.

You can't call what Skelton has gotten over the past two weeks anything close to "extended play."

With Kolb you can.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
So for Skelton starting it doesn't look like it was very fair does it. And he didn't get hardly any time in the Oakland game either. I think Whiz and company are trying to give Kolb the starting job and making it appear that its a fair competition.
I feel the same way; I hope we're wrong.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gee---did you read the subtitle of the article?

"Third year pro to be given a chance for extended play."

You CANNOT say that Skelton and Kolb have had the same chance the last two games.

Kolb had ALL of the first half snaps the week before except ONE.

Skelton's one series was the ONLY series he was given in the entire game.

Skelton wasn't given a chance to start the second half---nor a chance to run a two minute drill...the way Kolb was this week.

You can't call what Skelton has gotten over the past two weeks anything close to "extended play."

With Kolb you can.

Yessir.. I see that now..

But the context of the article leaves alot to be desired..

Can someone tell how many snaps he got against the Raiders vs the Titans?

It feels like the same.. But at the same time.. Its preseason.. So, Im just not putting alot of faith into anything.. Whether its W or L.. Or what the coach is thinking during the game..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard