Titans 32 Cardinals 27 Thoughts & Roster Update

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (3): SKELTON, Kolb, Lindley

Last night was supposed to be an extensive look at John Skelton. Skelton only had one series the week before.

The most extensive look John Skelton got last night was from the Titans' RDE Kamerion Wimbley who might as well have been wearing Skelton's jersey because he was like white on rice.

No---last night wasn't about giving Skelton an extended look or a means in which to build his confidence or his hold on the starting job.

Last night was about trying to make Kevin Kolb relevant again.

After a week in which Kolb was publicly deemed a scaredy-cat by Raiders' DT Tommy Kelly, was questioned about being the right fit at QB for the Cardinals' offense by Kurt Warner and was vilified in the media from practically all the pundits at ESPN and NFL Network to Peter King in his MMQB blog and most searingly from Arizona Republic columnist Dan Bickley---it was a good time to try to pull Kolb up by the shoulder pads.

Kolb stood up for himself---and that was a good first step. Finally somewhere toward the end of the week, one of this teammates, G Daryn Colledge stood up for Kolb. Then last night ESPN's Trent Dilfer did the same.

It has been a week of humble pie facials for Kolb--and his head coach Ken Whisenhunt was going to try to find a way to help Kolb feel at least a modicum of satisfaction in his play this week.

It worked---not without some glaring glitches, as we all saw, but Kolb was able to generate enough offense and positive throws that he is now essentially the NFL's latest version of Lazarus. Kevin Kolb is back from the dead.

Coach Whisenhunt did a very good thing. He knows that this team is going to have to lean and depend on Kolb at some point this year---maybe even from the get-go---and this was a good step for Kolb and the team.

The question that remains, however, is what effect last night's priorities might have on John Skelton.

Had Whisenhunt played Skelton two series into the 3rd quarter, despite the early interception, the talk all around the NFL today might very well have been how Skelton had secured the starting job and run away with the job.

Skelton has thus far been about as resilient as a young player can be. He has manifested a propensity to bounce back from setbacks and to maintain his equilibrium.

Skelton, if he stays healthy, is going to take a good deal of snaps for the Cardinals this year. The odds are heavily in his favor.

If Kolb is appointed the Week 1 starter, Skelton will have to bide his time, just as he did last year when in a midst of a winning streak he was lifted in favor of Kolb who was returning from a foot injury.

My own sense is that Skelton would be the better choice to start the Seattle game---Skelton is the one Cardinal QB since Pete Carroll arrived to beat the Seahawks and their multi-dimensional blitz/pressure packages.

Against the Seahawks you can keep them honest and break them down if your QB is willing to tuck it in and run the ball when the situations present themselves. Skelton is more capable of doing just that.

One would hope the Cardinals are privately working to incorporate effectively executed screen passes to Ryan Williams and LaRod Stephens-Howling because Seattle is going to pressure from all angles and they are going to play sticky man coverage with their big, physical DBs. The only way to divert the DBs attention in this game will be via QB scampers and screen passes. If the Cardinals can get those DBs to peek back, then the WRs will have better opportunities to shake free.

I also get the strong feeling that the Cardinals' players are more comfortable and confident in Skelton. After all, they have won 8 games with him of the 12 games he's taken the majority of the snaps.

Ryan Lindley continues to make strides---his accuracy looked much improved last night---what a strike he threw up the seam into a small window to TE Jim Dray, for example, which Dray did not catch---but the zip and accuracy was textbook.

Adam Shefter reported that the Cardinals will be looking around the league to add an experienced QB to the mix via trade or waivers---but Coach Whisenhunt is always loathe to bring in a QB who hasn't been already integrated into the Cardinals' "timing and rhythm" passing scheme.

RB (4): WILLIAMS, Wells, Stephens-Howling, Powell.

Even though Beanie Wells returned last night, the real story is what the Cardinals intend to do with Ryan Williams, both in the running and passing game.

Wells will likely start and will be worked on first downs---but Williams will gradually garner the majority of snaps.

Stephens-Howling will have a package of plays, as he always does---and so will William Powell who shows the speed, elusiveness and sneaky strong base the coaches have been coveting for quite some time.

Not sure what to make of Tavarris James' early action in the past two games. The coaches might like him as a blocker in pass pro, but oddly enough, it seems every time James is in the game on a passing down he immediate leaves the pocket on a flare route.

Alfonso Smith will probably be waived, but brought back at some point, if and when necessary. As may be James. Neither one of them is likely to be claimed off waivers.

FB (1): SHERMAN

There's no question he is going to have an expanded role in the passing game as a pocket protector and a receiver.

OL (9): BATISTE, COLLEDGE, SENDLEIN, SNYDER, MASSIE, Bridges, Kelemete, Ohrnsberger and TBA (Chad Clifton?---or a player in a trade?).

The decision to start D.J. Young last night was dubious from the get-go. This does not speak well for CKW or Russ Grimm as they should have had a better sense of what Young is capable of.

What was much more egregious than starting Young was (a) not affording him any help; and (b) even worse, keeping Young in there when it was clear from the first play that he was getting manhandled by Kamerion Wimbley.

How it took essentially five series for CKW and Grimm to make a switch is about the most reckless and irresponsible decision these coaches can make, save perhaps playing Larry Fitzgerald well into the third quarter of a meaningless pre-season game. If Fitz goes down this team has NO chance. And luckily, neither Skelton nor Kolb was injured in last night's game while getting hammered repeatedly from the blind side.

What bothers me even more is feeling sorry for Young who was clearly unprepared at this point in his development to block a pass rusher like Wimbley (again, is there any pass rusher like Wimbley for Young to face in practice? Um, no. Not even close), was seeing him immediately after each series walking around the sidelines in a shell-shocked daze, and Russ Grimm, nor any other Cardinal coach is NOWHERE in sight.

Have you ever seen a line coach on an NFL sideline so detached and laid-back as Grimm?

The Super Bowl Springsteen story about Grimm remains so incredibly symbolic. Grimm looks like he's got other things on his mind.

D'Anthony Batiste, thank goodness, was able to settle everything down. He was not flawless by any means, but he sported a good, wide base and strong hand positions. What he needs to do now is set up faster and more shallower---he was drop stepping too deeply and made it easier for the DE to push him toward the QB.

On the other side, Bobby Massie, is making strides---but remains very raw. One time, and I have no idea why he did this, he got beat off the edge because on his setup he reared his head back, almost like a horse who rears its head, and lost his balance and leverage as the DE made an outside burst. Balanced head positioning for a tackle is paramount---much the way it is for a golfer.

The Cardinal tackles under Russ Grimm are so poorly drilled in the techniques---and to think that so often they are put on islands---the combination is destructive.

Colledge, Sendlein and Snyder each had their ups and downs---even they do not appear to be in sync---which is even more troubling.

It looks to me like Jeremy Bridges is being groomed to take over the RG spot. Not sure if the coaches are now feeling somewhat iffy about Snyder, or if the coaches are going to kick Snyder out to RT until Massie gets comfortable and strong enough to play.

One thing seems clear---Bridges no longer is in the coaches' plans at tackle.

It seemed utterly preposterous that we had to witness D.J. Young and the QBs getting abused play after play---and then watch a veteran like Jeremy Bridges appear only in the second half as a member of the second unit.

I think Gary is right about C/G Rich Ohrnsberger---it looks like he will make the team.

Senio Kelemete, who gave up a sack last night, continues to run block very well.

Did you see the endzone camera views of Powell's and James' TDs? The execution from Potter---Kelemete---Ohrnsberger---Bridges---Massie was textbook on these off-tackle trap plays. Wow. Loved the one where Potter downblocked, Maui'a took out the DE and Bridges pulled and sprang up the hole. You cannot execute an off-tackle trap play better than that. Give Russ Grimm due props for this because this play looks like it's been worked on quite diligently.

As for Nate Potter---if the Cardinals don't add a veteran tackle---which is imperative, but with the Cardinals' slowness in making moves might not happen---he will probably make the roster because he has been faring well on STs and he does have good potential. He got run over in pass pro, however. Again, the fundamentals of fan blocking are not in evidence, just as they weren't with Young, a player who has been coached by Grimm now for two years.

I think the Cardinals might believe that they can waive Potter, a 7th rounder, figuring that with their much-televised and talked about tackle woes, that no team would want to take a Cardinal tackle castoff. But---what worries me is Bill Belichick. Potter fits the Patriot tackle mode very well in terms of size and athleticism, and the Patriots' depth at tackle is thin right now. They might take a chance on a young player like Potter.

WR (5): FITZGERALD, ROBERTS, Doucet, Floyd, Byrd.

Best news of all last night? Fitz did not get hurt while playing meaningless snaps well into the 3rd quarter. Fitz played well and was on the receiving end of the best pass of the night---Kolb's deep strike downfield while running to his left...which is never an easy throw.

Fitz got upended on the slant route---which he shouldn't be running in pre-season games. There is NO reason to subject him to over the middle hits in the pre-season. NONE.

Roberts looked slippery and quick. Nice TD.

Doucet---another night off---it's amazing with this guy and how many nights off he has gotten over the past 5 years.

Floyd---tough drop that ended Skelton's so-called "extended time"---couple of nice catches on short out routes---good effort on blocks. if one didn't know better one might think LaRon Byrd was the drafted player. Byrd looks faster, more athletic and more sure-handed.

Sampson had one good catch from Lindley---as did Stevie Williams---but if the Cardinals are going to add a 6th WR, I bet it is a waiver wire pickup.

Jaymar Johnson got blasted on the punt return and is having a tough pre-season.

TE (3): KING, Heap, Housler.

Jeff King had a nice catch. He seems to be getting back into form.

Todd Heap? Whisenhunt will most likely keep him---BUT---Whisenhunt CANNOT keep 4 TEs on this roster, not with the issues at QB, RB and OL.

And Steven Skelton looks like he could perform Heap's role in the offense---and probably will have to wait for his turn on the PS again.

Rob Housler was held back---which is disappointing because he needs the reps and Dems needs her weekly dose of ga-ga infatuation a la the Head and Shoulders girl in the Joe Mauer commercial. Hang tough for another week, Dems!

Defense and STs up next.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually agree they may be preparing to move Bridges to RG and Snyder to RT if they decide Massie can't hold up at RT. Bridges has looked good at guard but he's going against guys who will be unemployed in a few days, no idea how he'll look against real NFL DTs but I do think that's coming if Massie isn't ready.

Massie looked better last night he is improving weekly.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
NT (2): WILLIAMS, Carter.

Dan Williams was outstanding last night. The defense was geared up to stop the Titan's running game which was good preparation for Seattle.

David Carter looks like he has training camp legs right now.

DE (4): DOCKETT, CAMPBELL, Eason, Holliday.

Interesting to see Dockett rushing from the LDE edge in the 4 man rush last night. Wonder if there is more of that to come.

Campbell was good in the running game---but like the rest of the d-line did not create nearly enough pressure on Jake Locker.

Eason and Holliday are solid veterans---and David Carter will see plenty of snaps at DE as well.

ILB (4): LENON, WASHINGTON, Bradley, Walker.

This is developing onto one of the team's strongest and deepest units.

Paris Lenon was the MAN last night. Wow. Talk about trying to win the starting job back.

Bradley and Walker were solid.

OLB (5): ACHO, HAGGANS, Schofield, Groves, Nash

Haggans is going to start---Groves is close, but not there yet. Schofield's knee is a major concern at this point---if anything he should be relegated to pass rushing duties only.

Nash is a real sleeper. His jarring hit and forced fumble on STs put him squarely in the roster picture. Brandon Williams is right there too. Might go either way.

As opposed to the inside LB unit, this is the weakest unit on the defense. No one in this unit has shown impressive pass rushing skills yet this pre-season. The fact that Haggans is starting again says it all. This has been a much neglected part of the FO's moves for many years nows.

CB (5): PETERSON, FLEMING, Gay, Jefferson, Adams

All the talk this week on ESPN about Peterson becoming a star and he goes and gets toasted twice by a rookie for big plays, one a TD. Peterson has a LONG way to go---when he is under-aggressive as he was versus the diminutive Kendall Wright last night, he is slow to react to the ball. When he is over-aggressive he tends to grab and hold. For now he is still learning the ropes and trying to find consistency in his techniques and approach.

There was a William Gay sighting last night---primarily because they moved him to the spot where he is best: nickel CB.

Jamell Fleming is going to take over the RCB spot. He's so solid on his feet and in his shadow techniques---plus, he has that good undercutting lower the shoulder tackling technique in run support that thus far has been effective.

A.J.Jefferson is covering the deep pass much better. He's solid at this point.

Michael Adams was very good on STs again last night---too good to let go. Plus, he will factor into the defense in spot nickel matchups.

Greg Toler and Crezdon Butler (both on IR last year) are struggling physically in their rehabs. Thus, both are still question marks.

I think the team is doing a good job of trying to hide Larry Parker for the PS. But---scouts have been looking very carefully at the Cardinals' DB depth and Larry Parker, I guarantee you, is being talked about.

S (5): WILSON, RHODES, Johnson, Sanders, Bethel.

Adrian Wilson made some nice plays in the box, per usual, but slipped in deep coverage.

Kerry Rhodes made one nice tackle, but gave up too much in coverage. With better FS play last night, Jake Locker would not have had as much success.

James Sanders is solid and is contributing on STs.

Justin Bethel---is his impact already being felt on STs? Look at the kicking troubles the Titans had last night! Baronas never misses a PAT---and how many holding calls did the Titans get on FGs?

The tough call here is going to be with Blake Gideon---who once again played tough last night. Horton loves the kid. A move might be made in order to keep Gideon---that's very possible.

ST (3): ZASTUDIL, LEACH, FEELY.

Good job once again by all three.

Ricky Schmitt had one of the better sideline tackles of the night---but his kicks were inconsistent.

PS (8): RB-Smith (if eligible), T-Potter, C/G-Wedige, TE-Skelton, DT-Lumpkin, LB-Sturdivant/C.Parker, CB-L.Parker, S-Gideon

Waived (15): CB-Butler, WR-I. Williams, LB-Thompson, WR-Gray, CB-Green, WR-Crump, S-Elder, RB-Clayton, LB-McGraw, CB-Nixon, LB-Vassallo, TE-Webb, T-Young, P/K-Schmitt, C-Wedige.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I am convinced Kelemente is our RG of the future and Massie is our RT of the future, so why not let them just go and take their lumps and learn?

It's not like we have anything to lose at this point.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
^^ Massie is our RT of the future. Pretty Grimm future if you ask me. Kids been getting abused since day 1.

I was excited just like everyone else when we drafted him, but the fact is the guy is struggling badly on the field. IMO, we should take a look at RT options in free agency come cuts. Grab a veteran who wont be great, but will be more secure. Right now Massie is a revolving door.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am convinced Kelemente is our RG of the future and Massie is our RT of the future, so why not let them just go and take their lumps and learn?

It's not like we have anything to lose at this point.

Because they don't want 2 rookies starting right next to each other given our QB situation?

I agree that's the ultimate situation those 2 starting together but probably not now. I hope Massie can hold up at RT so we don't move Snyder, he seems to have settled in some himself. Not a great player but he was better than Colledge last night.

I think you can't say enough it really impacts the OL when one guy goes down. I don't think it's coincidence that Colledge struggled so badly without Brown, he's used to playing next to him and with Young getting killed, he was probably constantly worrying about helping Young.

seesred

Reaction score
I'd like to see Skelton over Heap.
Powel over the hyphen. I love the hyphen but Powell has that it factor.
Massie as a starter with Batiste or Bridges at Tackle.
Flemming opposite PP.
Skelton as the man.
Byrd over Floyd
Anyone over Grimm.

GBR

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
^^ Massie is our RT of the future. Pretty Grimm future if you ask me. Kids been getting abused since day 1.

I was excited just like everyone else when we drafted him, but the fact is the guy is struggling badly on the field. IMO, we should take a look at RT options in free agency come cuts. Grab a veteran who wont be great, but will be more secure. Right now Massie is a revolving door.

The OL looked better once Young came out on the left side and Massie came in on the right. Haven't had a chance to look at his individual performance yet, but the unit as a whole got better.

As for him getting abused every week, I thought that by all accounts, he's been improving every day.

I think he's our starter in week 1.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The OL line was horrid but I was at this game and sitting on the 50 about 8 rows behind the Cards bench. You are incorrect in saying Grimm wasn't engaged with the OL on the sideline. After an early series Grimm had them gathered and let them have it for several minutes. Then Whis took over and I could make out the word pathetic being used more than once. Problem is you can't polish pig iron.

Agreed they will keep Heap and shouldn't.

I believe if Williams stays healthy he will start over Wells.

Floyd looks disinterested to me. Not impressed at all. Byrd catches everything anywhere near him.

We need to trade for a LT now.

Last edited:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Last night was supposed to be an extensive look at John Skelton. Skelton only had one series the week before.

The most extensive look John Skelton got last night was from the Titans' RDE Kamerion Wimbley who might as well have been wearing Skelton's jersey because he was like white on rice.

No---last night wasn't about giving Skelton an extended look or a means in which to build his confidence or his hold on the starting job.

After a week in which Kolb was publicly deemed a scaredy-cat by Raiders' DT Tommy Kelly, was questioned about being the right fit at QB for the Cardinals' offense by Kurt Warner and was vilified in the media from practically all the pundits at ESPN and NFL Network to Peter King in his MMQB blog and most searingly from Arizona Republic columnist Dan Bickley---it was a good time to try to pull Kolb up by the shoulder pads.

Kolb stood up for himself---and that was a good first step. Finally somewhere toward the end of the week, one of this teammates, G Daryn Colledge stood up for Kolb. Then last night ESPN's Trent Dilfer did the same.

It has been a week of humble pie facials for Kolb--and his head coach Ken Whisenhunt was going to try to find a way to help Kolb feel at least a modicum of satisfaction in his play this week.

It worked---not without some glaring glitches, as we all saw, but Kolb was able to generate enough offense and positive throws that he is now essentially the NFL's latest version of Lazarus. Kevin Kolb is back from the dead.

Coach Whisenhunt did a very good thing. He knows that this team is going to have to lean and depend on Kolb at some point this year---maybe even from the get-go---and this was a good step for Kolb and the team.

The question that remains, however, is what effect last night's priorities might have on John Skelton.

Had Whisenhunt played Skelton two series into the 3rd quarter, despite the early interception, the talk all around the NFL today might very well have been how Skelton had secured the starting job and run away with the job.

Skelton has thus far been about as resilient as a young player can be. He has manifested a propensity to bounce back from setbacks and to maintain his equilibrium.

Skelton, if he stays healthy, is going to take a good deal of snaps for the Cardinals this year. The odds are heavily in his favor.

If Kolb is appointed the Week 1 starter, Skelton will have to bide his time, just as he did last year when in a midst of a winning streak he was lifted in favor of Kolb who was returning from a foot injury.

My own sense is that Skelton would be the better choice to start the Seattle game---Skelton is the one Cardinal QB since Pete Carroll arrived to beat the Seahawks and their multi-dimensional blitz/pressure packages.

Against the Seahawks you can keep them honest and break them down if your QB is willing to tuck it in and run the ball when the situations present themselves. Skelton is more capable of doing just that.

One would hope the Cardinals are privately working to incorporate effectively executed screen passes to Ryan Williams and LaRod Stephens-Howling because Seattle is going to pressure from all angles and they are going to play sticky man coverage with their big, physical DBs. The only way to divert the DBs attention in this game will be via QB scampers and screen passes. If the Cardinals can get those DBs to peek back, then the WRs will have better opportunities to shake free.

I also get the strong feeling that the Cardinals' players are more comfortable and confident in Skelton. After all, they have won 8 games with him of the 12 games he's taken the majority of the snaps.

Ryan Lindley continues to make strides---his accuracy looked much improved last night---what a strike he threw up the seam into a small window to TE Jim Dray, for example, which Dray did not catch---but the zip and accuracy was textbook.

Adam Shefter reported that the Cardinals will be looking around the league to add an experienced QB to the mix via trade or waivers---but Coach Whisenhunt is always loathe to bring in a QB who hasn't been already integrated into the Cardinals' "timing and rhythm" passing scheme.

RB (4): WILLIAMS, Wells, Stephens-Howling, Powell.

Even though Beanie Wells returned last night, the real story is what the Cardinals intend to do with Ryan Williams, both in the running and passing game.

Wells will likely start and will be worked on first downs---but Williams will gradually garner the majority of snaps.

Stephens-Howling will have a package of plays, as he always does---and so will William Powell who shows the speed, elusiveness and sneaky strong base the coaches have been coveting for quite some time.

Not sure what to make of Tavarris James' early action in the past two games. The coaches might like him as a blocker in pass pro, but oddly enough, it seems every time James is in the game on a passing down he immediate leaves the pocket on a flare route.

Alfonso Smith will probably be waived, but brought back at some point, if and when necessary. As may be James. Neither one of them is likely to be claimed off waivers.

FB (1): SHERMAN

There's no question he is going to have an expanded role in the passing game as a pocket protector and a receiver.

OL (9): BATISTE, COLLEDGE, SENDLEIN, SNYDER, MASSIE, Bridges, Kelemete, Ohrnsberger and TBA (Chad Clifton?---or a player in a trade?).

The decision to start D.J. Young last night was dubious from the get-go. This does not speak well for CKW or Russ Grimm as they should have had a better sense of what Young is capable of.

What was much more egregious than starting Young was (a) not affording him any help; and (b) even worse, keeping Young in there when it was clear from the first play that he was getting manhandled by Kamerion Wimbley.

How it took essentially five series for CKW and Grimm to make a switch is about the most reckless and irresponsible decision these coaches can make, save perhaps playing Larry Fitzgerald well into the third quarter of a meaningless pre-season game. If Fitz goes down this team has NO chance. And luckily, neither Skelton nor Kolb was injured in last night's game while getting hammered repeatedly from the blind side.

What bothers me even more is feeling sorry for Young who was clearly unprepared at this point in his development to block a pass rusher like Wimbley (again, is there any pass rusher like Wimbley for Young to face in practice? Um, no. Not even close), was seeing him immediately after each series walking around the sidelines in a shell-shocked daze, and Russ Grimm, nor any other Cardinal coach is NOWHERE in sight.

Have you ever seen a line coach on an NFL sideline so detached and laid-back as Grimm?

The Super Bowl Springsteen story about Grimm remains so incredibly symbolic. Grimm looks like he's got other things on his mind.

D'Anthony Batiste, thank goodness, was able to settle everything down. He was not flawless by any means, but he sported a good, wide base and strong hand positions. What he needs to do now is set up faster and more shallower---he was drop stepping too deeply and made it easier for the DE to push him toward the QB.

On the other side, Bobby Massie, is making strides---but remains very raw. One time, and I have no idea why he did this, he got beat off the edge because on his setup he reared his head back, almost like a horse who rears its head, and lost his balance and leverage as the DE made an outside burst. Balanced head positioning for a tackle is paramount---much the way it is for a golfer.

The Cardinal tackles under Russ Grimm are so poorly drilled in the techniques---and to think that so often they are put on islands---the combination is destructive.

Colledge, Sendlein and Snyder each had their ups and downs---even they do not appear to be in sync---which is even more troubling.

It looks to me like Jeremy Bridges is being groomed to take over the RG spot. Not sure if the coaches are now feeling somewhat iffy about Snyder, or if the coaches are going to kick Snyder out to RT until Massie gets comfortable and strong enough to play.

One thing seems clear---Bridges no longer is in the coaches' plans at tackle.

It seemed utterly preposterous that we had to witness D.J. Young and the QBs getting abused play after play---and then watch a veteran like Jeremy Bridges appear only in the second half as a member of the second unit.

I think Gary is right about C/G Rich Ohrnsberger---it looks like he will make the team.

Senio Kelemete, who gave up a sack last night, continues to run block very well.

Did you see the endzone camera views of Powell's and James' TDs? The execution from Potter---Kelemete---Ohrnsberger---Bridges---Massie was textbook on these off-tackle trap plays. Wow. Loved the one where Potter downblocked, Maui'a took out the DE and Bridges pulled and sprang up the hole. You cannot execute an off-tackle trap play better than that. Give Russ Grimm due props for this because this play looks like it's been worked on quite diligently.

As for Nate Potter---if the Cardinals don't add a veteran tackle---which is imperative, but with the Cardinals' slowness in making moves might not happen---he will probably make the roster because he has been faring well on STs and he does have good potential. He got run over in pass pro, however. Again, the fundamentals of fan blocking are not in evidence, just as they weren't with Young, a player who has been coached by Grimm now for two years.

I think the Cardinals might believe that they can waive Potter, a 7th rounder, figuring that with their much-televised and talked about tackle woes, that no team would want to take a Cardinal tackle castoff. But---what worries me is Bill Belichick. Potter fits the Patriot tackle mode very well in terms of size and athleticism, and the Patriots' depth at tackle is thin right now. They might take a chance on a young player like Potter.

WR (5): FITZGERALD, ROBERTS, Doucet, Floyd, Byrd.

Best news of all last night? Fitz did not get hurt while playing meaningless snaps well into the 3rd quarter. Fitz played well and was on the receiving end of the best pass of the night---Kolb's deep strike downfield while running to his left...which is never an easy throw.

Fitz got upended on the slant route---which he shouldn't be running in pre-season games. There is NO reason to subject him to over the middle hits in the pre-season. NONE.

Roberts looked slippery and quick. Nice TD.

Doucet---another night off---it's amazing with this guy and how many nights off he has gotten over the past 5 years.

Floyd---tough drop that ended Skelton's so-called "extended time"---couple of nice catches on short out routes---good effort on blocks. if one didn't know better one might think LaRon Byrd was the drafted player. Byrd looks faster, more athletic and more sure-handed.

Sampson had one good catch from Lindley---as did Stevie Williams---but if the Cardinals are going to add a 6th WR, I bet it is a waiver wire pickup.

Jaymar Johnson got blasted on the punt return and is having a tough pre-season.

TE (3): KING, Heap, Housler.

Jeff King had a nice catch. He seems to be getting back into form.

Todd Heap? Whisenhunt will most likely keep him---BUT---Whisenhunt CANNOT keep 4 TEs on this roster, not with the issues at QB, RB and OL.

And Steven Skelton looks like he could perform Heap's role in the offense---and probably will have to wait for his turn on the PS again.

Rob Housler was held back---which is disappointing because he needs the reps and Dems needs her weekly dose of ga-ga infatuation a la the Head and Shoulders girl in the Joe Mauer commercial. Hang tough for another week, Dems!

Defense and STs up next.

Our kicker has got no mentions in preseason. From what I have read he has not missed a kick but I do not get all the info so may be wrong. I see he has hit several in the 40-50 yd range. Glad to see someone who is game ready yesterday.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Very insightful, as always, Mitch...

Hope you're doing great, bud. Always appreciate your thoughts. Pre-season is always kinduv' wierd, like Wolfley says, "the Witching Hour", because we really don't know all that the coaching staff is trying to see or accomplish. As I've watched the games I find myself more excited about the in-coming players (ie; Bethel, Powell, Fleming, Klemente, Lindley (especially Lindley) than the hold-overs.)

I am in no ways conceding the season. As I've said before, all the way up till we reach 8-losses, we've got a shot. I do hope that beginning before yesterday the front office will say....#1 priority...Strengthen the o-line. Period. Draft...Sign...Trade...Whatever it takes to field a credible line.

Amazing what a difference that would make on every other area of the team.

Take Care, bud. :)

Mark in SC :)

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Floyd looks disinterested to me. Not impressed at all. Byrd catches everything anywhere near him.

A disinterested WR does not block the way he is blocking in the run game and search out bodies to make contact with. They even mentioned it in the broadcast and did a replay of what they were talking about.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A disinterested WR does not block the way he is blocking in the run game and search out bodies to make contact with. They even mentioned it in the broadcast and did a replay of what they were talking about.

And drop passes and fail to really jump at all for a fade in the endzone. Hell we can put another TE in his place if we need additional run blocking downfield.

He has been outplayed by Byrd and if he wasn't a first round pick may be on the bubble.

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score

I wouldn't call him disinterested, either.

However, here is a question.

Who would trade Michael Floyd for Riley Rieff right now? I know I would.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call him disinterested, either.

However, here is a question.

Who would trade Michael Floyd for Riley Rieff right now? I know I would.

I actually wonder if the Cards would consider moving Floyd later this year if LT is still a problem and Floyd has shown something? I seriously doubt it, you don't trade 1st round picks midway through their rookie year, but it would be a case of a marketable asset going out to bring in something you really need.

I just don't think anybody else has a LT good enough to be worth trading Floyd for, that they would actually trade. Every game I've watched so far involves teams with concerns on the OL, primarily LT.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Agree.

A uninterested WR does not block the way he is blocking in the run game.

(disinterested means impartial.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

+1.

His blocking is tremendous.

I hope his WR skills, once polished, show something.

His drop that should have been a 1st down was huge!

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree 100% still shoulda caught it. but it was a BAD throw by DD.. way too much mustard on the ball.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
+1.

But, his catch on the sideline in Kolb's last series was nice.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
+1.

Granted he is a big guy and when the play is alive downfield he will pick someone out and hammer them.

Last night I focused on him running his routes and he seemed lackadaisical to me. Not alot of enthusiasm on the sideline either compared to Byrd and others. Now I don't know him so it just may be his personality.

He is not a burner so his strong point is using his size to go up and make catches. In a small sample so far in preseason I haven't seen him demonstrate this as a strong point at all.

Giving up on him? Not a chance. Just an up to this point observation and nothing more.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Seems true. They favor Kolb being in there for whatever rea$on, and there could be a few. Must like what he'$ done in training camp. :p But Skelton seems to rev up his game at the most opportune times, which Kolb has yet to prove as a Cardinal. I will give him the Cowboys game from last yr. however. But your right, we beat Seattle and five other teams, because of the D mainly, but also because Skelton hung tough and came through a little bit in the 4th quarters. He didn't give away any games early. And Kolb has the propensity to do that early in games---Vikings game was one of the worst NFL efforts by a QB and overall effort that I've ever seen. And there were others. You can't consistently put your team behind--especially on the road. But the good news is Seattle is a home opener and the crowd will definitely have the team PUMPED!! Hopefully they take advantage of that energy EARLY!!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison