thoughts on our safeties?

Cody

i love defense
Reaction score
are johnson and bethel going to be enough? do you think they will have to make many changes to the play calling from previous years? i remember wilson would often be in the box showing blitz. i guess i'm asking because i'm not to familiar with our safeties and not sure what to expect out of them.

Quinn McCollum

Veteran
Reaction score
Bethel a CB not a safety. I believe the safety will be average at best this year and Arizona will need to draft one in the first 2 rounds after the season.

Reaction score
are johnson and bethel going to be enough? do you think they will have to make many changes to the play calling from previous years? i remember wilson would often be in the box showing blitz. i guess i'm asking because i'm not to familiar with our safeties and not sure what to expect out of them.

Bell & Johnson are the 2 starting safeties. The Honey Badger is a safety as well.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bell & Johnson are the 2 starting safeties. The Honey Badger is a safety as well.

this. I don't think we're awful at S. But we're worse than last season. Hard to replace AW and Rhodes regardless of who we put back there though

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
this. I don't think we're awful at S. But we're worse than last season. Hard to replace AW and Rhodes regardless of who we put back there though

Bell played in a secondary that did not give up one 100 yard receiver last season and Wilson was being phased out. The Badger is a safety only in name. He'd be best described as a rover in nickle and dime packages (imo).

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I don't believe that we can really know what we will have at safety until after TC. While Rashad Johnson played very little at safety, he did play the SS spot pretty well at the end of the season. Whether or not that translates to decent play over the course of a season is not known. Bell played very well last year, (and has for a number of years), the problem with him is that at his age, he is becoming somewhat injury prone, having failed to play a complete season for some 2-3 years now. Jamel Flemming was slotted to move to FS at some point last year, and he is a possibility to step up at that slot. Help could also be coming from the two Oklahoma Safeties that we brought in after the draft as UDFA's. We have some numbers at that position, some of whom played pretty well last year wherever they were. Whether or not that translates into good safety play with any depth is a guess right now. We are pretty much in a wait and see mode.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I don't think ADub was much off a loss he clearly wasn't making the plays we re used to getting out of him.

I am hopeful Johnson plays well, or atleast average. Rhodes was pretty good so we are take a step or two back there. but I feel we improved at pretty much every other position so I think we should be a solid D. were we take a big step back I am afraid will be the loss of Horton. But I do like the idea of letting Dockett and Campbell attack rather than tie up blockers.

LDL

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think ADub was much off a loss he clearly wasn't making the plays we re used to getting out of him.

I am hopeful Johnson plays well, or atleast average. Rhodes was pretty good so we are take a step or two back there. but I feel we improved at pretty much every other position so I think we should be a solid D. were we take a big step back I am afraid will be the loss of Horton. But I do like the idea of letting Dockett and Campbell attack rather than tie up blockers.

Agree with ADub not being missed. Liability in coverage and hit instead of tackled, so Saftery for me is a push here. Both Johnson and Bell are a push for me.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Agree with ADub not being missed. Liability in coverage and hit instead of tackled, so Saftery for me is a push here. Both Johnson and Bell are a push for me.

Johnson and Bell = Rhodes and Wilson? The Kool-Aid is flowing. More like Johnson and Bell = Terance Holt and Oliver Celestin.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Johnson and Bell = Rhodes and Wilson? The Kool-Aid is flowing. More like Johnson and Bell = Terance Holt and Oliver Celestin.

with you there. Though AW isn't the player he was, he's still a beast. And Rhodes was a quiet star on this D. Not to mention AW's leadership. That is irreplaceable. Especially with Washigton now in trouble, we could use a leader. It's good to have Dansby back to hopefully lend a hand there. Plus PP has earned a lot of respect these past couple years. But AW was our longest tenured player, definitely in AZ, probably in a lot longer

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IMO,the loss of Kerry is the biggest thing to effect this D this year. He was a stud. Top 3 FS in the league. He was worth every penny of his paycheck. Should have kept him.

I understand the reasoning behind Adrian, but Kerry was a very stupid move. He was huge for us.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the S from Oklahoma may be pleasant surprise.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
IMO,the loss of Kerry is the biggest thing to effect this D this year. He was a stud. Top 3 FS in the league. He was worth every penny of his paycheck. Should have kept him.

I understand the reasoning behind Adrian, but Kerry was a very stupid move. He was huge for us.
with you there. You'd think Rolle would have left a huge hole after leaving for the biggest Safety contract in NY, but Rhodes filled it perfectly. He gave us more than Rolle IMO. He will be sorely missed. Wish we would get him back but I'm betting not

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The safety position needed to be upgraded. Whether they did, or not, is questionable.

Rhodes a top 3 FS in the league:biglaugh:. He may have been top 3 in the division and 3rd, at best, if that. Or did you forget Earl Thomas and Goldson were in our division last year?

Wilson was old and limited. I doubt Bell and Johnson are the answers either but Mathieu may have a big impact back there. SS is still more of a question mark than FS. Johnson hasn't shown too much thus far. I hope he takes a step forward but guys have usually found their level this far into their career. I doubt he becomes a top 20 SS in the league.

As for FS, it is usually one of the easisest positions to find adequate players. Reason being that CB's that have trouble in man coverage can be transitioned over and can give a team solid play. Mathieu's ceiling is higher than Rhodes could ever dream of. Let's hope he realizes that potential.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree that safety is a concern and because of Bell's age, I'm pretty sure we'll draft a safety high next year. However, this year I feel that Johnson and Bell will be okay PROVIDED we get a GOOD/IMPROVED PASS RUSH. We do need a nickel safety, and like everyone, have my fingers crossed that Tyrann can do the job. But it seems to me that the undersized CB we got from KC should be tried as a nickel safety, because he's more experienced. Or at least have him compete with Mathieu for the job. JMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
We got worse at S, no doubt about it. How much worse is very debatable. I can't see either Bell or Johnson being anything more than a stop gap to a better player in the future. Mathieu is the player we all need to hope develops because he could potentially give us a true playmaker at the backend of our defense.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bell played in a secondary that did not give up one 100 yard receiver last season and Wilson was being phased out. The Badger is a safety only in name. He'd be best described as a rover in nickle and dime packages (imo).

Better check your facts on that one, big guy.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Great that we're going to replace a guy who made the pro bowl as recently as 2011-12 with one of the oldest players in the NFL who had a whopping total of 2 pdf's and zero interceptions last season and was so unwanted he signed with the Cards for basically nothing in NFL dollars. AND they're millions under the cap. No reason at all for Adrian Wilson to be playing in New England! :mad:

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn