Things that I could see happening in the draft

spanky1

Reaction score
Gary Kubiak is saying that he believes that Davis Carr can become a solid QB and the owner Bob McNair concurs (gbnreport). This makes me believe that Houston will not take a QB whatsoever. Now this is not earth shattering by any means......but what is, is that they imply that they don't need any more "weapons" to surround Carr with (eg. they don't need Reggie Bush). This might be one of the classic "smokescreens", but when you consider that Dominic Davis was extended for big bucks earlier, one has to wonder if Bush is reallly in their thinking either.

I can see the Texans trading down with the Jets for an additional later day 1 pick. New York need a running back and a QB (I don't think that Pennington has a long term future as their QB). I can see them taking Bush and Houston taking D'Brickashaw Ferguson at #4.

New Orleans definitely need a QB as they are likely to jettison Aaron Brooks. Even with all the recent Cutler hype, I can't see him going ahead of Leinart.

If (and I have no real idea), Cutler is "for real" and he has both a super Senior Bowl and a combine, I'd look for him to go ahead of Vince Young to Tennessee. He's somewhat of a "local" boy having played at Vanderbilt. Jeff Fisher is as close to being able to assess him as anyone as he has had a "front and center seat" during this week's practices.

There is a lot of talk around that GB need a running back, what with Ahmad Green's "health" being questionable going forward. Do they grab DeAngelo Williams at #5........I'm inclined to say no. They can get by on RB by committee if they have to until next year when there are a few really good RB's (Adrian Peterson and Michael Bush to name but two. They need defensive help in a really big way.....and someone like AJ Hawk as a OLB fits.

Here is where it gets interesting. Oakland and Kerry Collins are finished. Is Andrew Walter really their QB of the future? Not in my mind. Al Davis is known to love the Daunte Culpepper type QB. Here is where I see Vince Young landing.

By all accounts, SF are going to part ways with Julien Petersen. But they also need a WR. Unfortunately, there isn't one worthy of the #7 overall pick, but they could justify looking at a TE at this point for an offensive threat. My guess is that it will come down to Chad Greenway or Vernon Davis. I give the nod to Greenway.

At #8, Buffalo need a TE (Mark Cambell has knee issues), a DT (how long can Sam Adams continue on) and a FS (Troy Vincent replacement). With Vernon Davis, Losman gets another offensive threat. This is my guess. DT's and FS's are available in round 2, but all the good TE's will be long gone.

Ah.....Detroit at #9. All of the three marquee QB's are off the board. They are said to be interested in Josh McCown and they will as a result probably go with a FA to challenge Harrington and Garcia. They also need a DT as Dan Wilkinson's career is over. Shaun Rogers is a pro bowl NT, but they deploy a defensive front four that leans on two huge linemen. Gabe Watson is the local boy, but would be a huge reach here.....not so with Haloti Ngata.

And now we come to our beloved Cardinals: LenDale White (RB), Jimmy Williams (CB/FS), Michael Huff (FS) or an OL. I think that round 2 will offer up some real gems on the O-Line. I just think that Winston Justice is too much of an enigma to pick at #10, Eric Winston has an injury history (and I like Davis as our LT) and Marcus McNeill, while a solid medium term pro bowl talent at RT, doesn't represent as the BPA.. I've always been a real fan of Jimmy Williams, but as a FS, which is what Michael Huff is. Both would look real good along side of Adrain Wilson and Williams gives us depth at CB in the event that either Rolle, Green, Macklin go down.

But my preference is for Lendale White. I'm not a fan of DeAngelo Williams (yes he'll be good, but not better than White). Imagine a revamped O-Line (either through repositioning, the FA and better coaching) and offensive threats such as White/Arrington, Boldin/Fitzgerald/Johnson to contend with. These pieces of an offense would scare the daylights out of everyone.

Once again, JMHO

Last edited:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is as good an analysis as I've seen, except for the part where A J Hawk is cloned and then selected by both Green Bay & San Fransisco. :D

Any draft where we get White is a good one, imho. But if Young were to drop to #5, I would like to see us trade up for him.

The Shark

OP
OP
S

spanky1

Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
That is as good an analysis as I've seen, except for the part where A J Hawk is cloned and then selected by both Green Bay & San Fransisco. :D

Any draft where we get White is a good one, imho. But if Young were to drop to #5, I would like to see us trade up for him.

The Shark

My bad.....change Hawk for Greenway.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Dominack Davis was not signed for "big bucks" last offseason. His deal was actually very mid-tier. I think he's making less than Warrick Dunn. He's actually both movable or can co-exist with Bush, both players used 13-15 times a game out of the backfield.

seesred

Reaction score
Spanky, I agree that your breakdown is excelent and I'd be very happy ifd that is the way it goes down. We wont know until draft day but I agree that the Jets are the most likely team to make a trade. How that upsets the apple cart (I'm old I remember apple carts) I don't know. Every team has needs , even the champs are looking to improve. Some teams that need less can give more in a trade up the line.

One thing I'm sure of is I hope that we have a great season and need only to talk about the low 20 draft picks next year.

GBR

OP
OP
S

spanky1

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Dominack Davis was not signed for "big bucks" last offseason. His deal was actually very mid-tier. I think he's making less than Warrick Dunn. He's actually both movable or can co-exist with Bush, both players used 13-15 times a game out of the backfield.

I guess my point is that Ferguson is more of a necessity than Bush is to Houston. They have to start to protect Carr....he can't be getting sacked like he has been......and the additional pick(s) become very valuable to a 2-14team.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
If (and I have no real idea), Cutler is "for real" and he has both a super Senior Bowl and a combine, I'd look for him to go ahead of Vince Young to Tennessee. He's somewhat of a "local" boy having played at Vanderbilt. Jeff Fisher is as close to being able to assess him as anyone as he has had a "front and center seat" during this week's practices.

At #8, Buffalo need a TE (Mark Cambell has knee issues), a DT (how long can Sam Adams continue on) and a FS (Troy Vincent replacement). With Vernon Davis, Losman gets another offensive threat. This is my guess. DT's and FS's are available in round 2, but all the good TE's will be long gone.

I think are being duped into the hype a little to much on Cutler. The reviews of him at the practices have been very very mixed among many different draft gurus. That along with McNair being Youngs mentor and they workout together in the offseasons, and yes McNair's vioce may not be the last word on the topic far from it but the coaches will listen to what they have to say.

Also Buffalo took Kevin Everrett out of Miami in last years draft to be their TE of the future. The ownership and scouts love this kid and he is their future at TE. Sam Adams will most likely be cut and they have a lot of FA in the Secondary, Ngata and Williams are 10 times more likely to be selected. Heck someone such as Justice, Winston, or McNeil for their horrid OL are 10 times more likely to be selected then a TE.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Great post spanky:thumbup:

Couple points though...I completly agree with your thinking about the top 3....Especially if Cutler continues to rise and the hype continues....Tennessee will be hard pressed to pass on him....

But i take exception after that....i see the Jets trading down....but if they dont there is no way in hell Ferguson drops past GB....they need offensive line help in the worst way and i see this guy getting alot of love. Best prospect since Pace who went number one over all. I completly agree with Young going to the Raiders.
But this is all hopeful speculation until the combine....guys like Cutler, Fergsuon ( i could see him going top 2 actually) Vernon Davis, Hawk, Vince Young, Mario Williams, BC DE (thats his name from this point on as im not trying to spell it...)and even our beloved Lendale White could all sky rocket if the hype about their physical attribures is true (and conversly fall if it is not)

Heres how i see it going down barring no trades....

1- HOU: Bush

2-NO: Lienert

3- TEN: Cutler (prime trading ground here and at 4, Cards should take a shot and go for Young, Lienert, or Ferguson depending on who falls)

4-NY: Ferguson

5-GB: Hawk they would be idiots not to take him, the biggest cant miss in the draft IMO, even over Bush

6-SF: Vernon Davis or D'Angelo Williams (depending on combines even White, really this needs everything except a QB so look for a riser at the combine to slot in right here)

7-Oak:VY Another lock with Al Davis running the show

8-Buf: Davis, Huff or Williams. (or depending on the combines of both Justice and Winston as that is an absolute need)

9-Det:Kinuvenka (sp?) another omission from your board. Between him and Mario Williams (who are both physical freaks and will rise up boards as their time and strength come out) this is maybe even a tad late for a couple guys who can get to the passer

10- Cards: LenDale White....it just makes to much sense. I think Justice with his discipline issues is a reach here. I like Davis okay but not at ten for us. Huff will be solid but other than Hawk, there is no other defender i would take. Unless Lienert really starts to drop or Hawk is available, this is my choice. He will make JJ so much better and hopefullt a retooled better coached oline will lead us to the playoffs next year...

Bottom line, this is a great draft and we are sitting pretty at 10.....
now look whats happening....im getting excited again....:thud:

Deep Breath and Repeat:
i will not let the cardinals get my hopes up, i will not let the cardinals get my hopes up, i will not let the cardinals get my hopes up, i will not....

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
I guess my point is that Ferguson is more of a necessity than Bush is to Houston. They have to start to protect Carr....he can't be getting sacked like he has been......and the additional pick(s) become very valuable to a 2-14team.

Maybe, but there are 2 reasons that you're absolutely, positively, 100% wrong.

1) You don't draft "necessity"at #1 overall, especially when there's a ready-made, once-in-a-generation player like Reggie Bush available.

2) As you've said in this very thread, this is a very deep draft at the OT position. They'll likely be able to get a Robert Gallery-caliber OT at the top of the second round. That's really all they need. Everything that you and others say about 2nd round OL help is more true for the Houston, who will be picking ahead of us.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Or, the Texans could sign Kevin Schaffer from the Atlanta Falcons, who has spent two years being coached by Joe Gibbs in the blocking scheme that Kubiak will be bringing to Houston.

Remember, Spanky, that the Broncos don't use the prototypical offensive lineman in their blocking scheme, so it's not likely that they'd find Ferguson to be a value.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Like I just pointed out in another thread, taking D'Brickashaw over Bush is like taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because you already have a proven player at his position. Houston will take the best player available and that player is unquestionably Reggie Bush.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Jay Cutler is rising on everybody's board. That could change the entire draft.

Nick Saban is reportedly VERY high on him, so trading down to #16 for Ricky could be an option.

OP
OP
S

spanky1

Reaction score
BACH said:
Jay Cutler is rising on everybody's board. That could change the entire draft.

Nick Saban is reportedly VERY high on him, so trading down to #16 for Ricky could be an option.

Now this is food for thought.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reggie Bush will be the first player drafted. It may not be Houston but none the less Bush will go first.
The 2 guys that sacre me the most is OT Justice with all his past problems and Vince Young. He was amazing in the BCS game but you have to remember that he has college talent chasing him around. Remember this. Not one of the playoff team qb's are known as running qb's. Not they don't "move around", but basically are pocket passers. Young will not consistently do what he did in college when he faces NFL defenses.
I love Lendale White, but the CArdinal Brass will be hard pressed not to take a QB like Cutler or Lienart if they slip to #10. Sooner or later we need a long term solution at quarterback.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
Sooner or later we need a long term solution at quarterback.
We've passed the "sooner" part of that equation because we've been saying this for 3 years. We are squarely in the "later" portion of that logic, IMO.

Could 3 QBs go in the top-10 this year? I think so, and I hope we get one of them. Although, I too, have soome reservations about Young. That said, if he's there at #10 you HAVE TO roll the dice on him, IMO.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The QB situation is all predicated on that type of contract that Warner signs for....

If it's a one-year deal (which is of course EXTREMELY unlikely), then the the Cardinals would be more inclined to select their long-term QB within the first 3 rounds this year.... Since it appears more likely that Warner is getting a 3-year deal, I would see them selecting a QB next year since Warner could take whoever that would be under his tutelage for the entire '07 campaign and then have that QB in a spot to compete for the #1 job in the '08 season (or have that QB replace Warner midway through depending on where they are in the standings)...

Just drafting a QB this year might be senseless mainly due to an economic standpoint.......The Cardinals would essentially be wasting away $5+ mil on a player who wouldnt factor into this season whatsoever..where that money could be invested more wisely (IE at OL)......

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
The QB situation is all predicated on that type of contract that Warner signs for....
Unfortunately, a contract can't keep Warner standing upright for 3 seasons. He may sign a 3-year deal, but I would wager that he retires or is cut before that 3rd year rolls around.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I didnt want to make a brand new thread for this, but the NFLE Draft was done yesterday and are very own DE Tyler King was the #1 pick. Yippeeeeeeeee.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Unfortunately, a contract can't keep Warner standing upright for 3 seasons. He may sign a 3-year deal, but I would wager that he retires or is cut before that 3rd year rolls around.

That is true... It's going to also be contingent on how the Cardinals structure Warner's contract... They'll more than likely front-load the first 2-years and then the ideal scenario would be an option for the 3rd (perhaps one that the Cardinals can opt-out if he sustains some severe injury or could pretty much make it more incentive-laden....

I guess my question is... who's supposed be the elite QBs that will be available either in the '07 draft or eligible for FA after the '06 season?

I've always been against drafting a QB in the 1st round since most become complete busts..... Again.... "Big Ben" is very fortunate to play w/the best OL in the NFL and have 3 above average RBs, a top-notch TE, and a solid WR corp (which doesnt compare to the Cardinals, but still among the best)... Any QB could succeed in that system..and I believe the Cardinals are on the brink of that if they stop just trying to patch-work the OL and land Lendale White in the draft.....

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:

If it's a one-year deal (which is of course EXTREMELY unlikely), then the the Cardinals would be more inclined to select their long-term QB within the first 3 rounds this year.... Since it appears more likely that Warner is getting a 3-year deal, I would see them selecting a QB next year since Warner could take whoever that would be under his tutelage for the entire '07 campaign and then have that QB in a spot to compete for the #1 job in the '08 season (or have that QB replace Warner midway through depending on where they are in the standings)...

Just drafting a QB this year might be senseless mainly due to an economic standpoint.......The Cardinals would essentially be wasting away $5+ mil on a player who wouldnt factor into this season whatsoever..where that money could be invested more wisely (IE at OL)......

Keep in mind KLL, NFL contracts are not garuanteed, and neither is Warners ability to stay healthy. That being said, when you look at how this team is being built , this may be the last year we draft this high. I doubt we will be able to get a franchise QB with say, the 24th pick next year. Also, with the escalation of the salary cap not only this year but over the next few years , 5M for a back-up qb is not so outlandish, especially if he can come in and give your team a real chance to win.
ANd yes, I agree about investing in the OL. Not only should we go out and get LeCharles Bentley, but we should try and get BAckus too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard