The worst part about Rosen succeeding...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm still very concerned that he's being put in so early on such a bad team that it's going to shatter his confidence forever. It seems like we're on the fast track to Mike McCoy overloading the kid with a bunch of terminology and failed plays, only to make Rosen learn an all new offense next year with a new OC... and then fire Wilks and get a new coaching staff.

At least Seattle looks kind of hapless, this could be a confidence builder. Same with SF now.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the absolute worst case scenario is we go 7-9 or 8-8 and stay mired in the middle of the draft...a place where immediate impact players are already gone and trade value of picks went with them.

honestly, if we end up 7-9 or 8-8, that means Rosen went 7-6 or 8-5 as a starter. That looks like a pretty damn good scenario because it means we will FINALLY have a QB who elevated the team. A Franchise Guy!

That said, I'll be STUNNED if that happens. I'm just excited to watch him grow this season, get some flashes. There's going to be A LOT of growing pains, especially with this staff, but if Rosen is really The Chosen, he will ascend above all others trying to hold him down!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my opinion there is no down side. If he does well we got us a QBOF . If he doesn't we got us a high draft choice .

BINGO.

And if the team is truly wretched, I think (HOPE) Bidwill is smart enough to know wholesale changes are needed in the FO/Coaching staff.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't see Rosen as the player that can right the ship for the Cards. There is just so many things wrong with this team, from the coaches down, that a rookie QB isn't going to change the nose dive the team is in right now.

I'd love to see the team get a nice spark from this move, but I just don't see it happening.
Well it’s not like we’re expecting playoffs. he may be the difference between 2 wins and 4-5 wins tho. That would be a season win. Aren’t you a suns fan? You should know it’s all about looking for development in lost years

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The one thing I noticed in the game with Rosen was that he seemed to have a really loose, happy-go-lucky type of demeanor. He's going to have the proverbial short memory when it comes to this game (and hopefully much more).

He went in there with nothing to lose and you could tell. The moment was not too big for him. He wasn't visibly nervous. He seemed pretty calm overall. It also translated in his play as he was confidently slinging it.

I also think Rosen is going to audible plays and thus at times hopefully avoid the worst aspects of McCoy's playcalls.

If things continue to go bad, he won't get too invested in McCoy and ruined because he'll suspect McCoy is going to be gone. The guy is a student of the game and I think he comes with the mindset that he is bigger than any OC he'll ever have. Not in a disrespectful way, but just a realization that McCoy likely won't be he is OC for long.

He's noted to be very cerebral and I don't think anything McCoy could do or the teams bad situation in 2018 can ruin him. He has a solid base underneath him and McCoy isn't going to override all of that. I just don't think he has that sort of personality where breaking him will come easy. I believe it would take an awful lot. I don't think he'll be put in a Rosenbach level situation.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
honestly, if we end up 7-9 or 8-8, that means Rosen went 7-6 or 8-5 as a starter. That looks like a pretty damn good scenario because it means we will FINALLY have a QB who elevated the team. A Franchise Guy!

That said, I'll be STUNNED if that happens. I'm just excited to watch him grow this season, get some flashes. There's going to be A LOT of growing pains, especially with this staff, but if Rosen is really The Chosen, he will ascend above all others trying to hold him down!

yeah that would be exciting....would screw us come draft day though, lol...
at this point I would almost rather see us progress as a team,..start to become competitive as the season progresses...and end up around 4-12...

Devin White would look awfully good in cardinal red...and do wonders for our defense so Rosen does not have to try and carry the team alone for the next 10+ years

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best part about Rosen succeeding will be when the Cards start marking every touchdown pass by blasting Havanagila, setting off 70,000 screaming fans, dancing the Hora every week! Start learning the lyrics now folks!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The worst part about Rosen succeeding is this post about finding something to bitch about if he succeeds

I respect your opinion.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is even though I personally want Rosen to succeed and the Cardinals at large, I think a talented player can mask a subpar coaching staff, this hurting the organization long term.

It’s like when a team starts out 2-6 every year and are already out of playoff contention by mid year, only to finish the season 7-9 winning “meaningless” games down the stretch that preserve the coach year after year.

Jeff Fisher is a prime example of this, his record through 5 years with the Rams are as follows:

7-8-1
7-9
6-10
7-9
4-9 (finally fired)

I do believe it is important to “suck” in a year you know you are not playoff bound and have a chance at a top five pick. Since 2002 the Cardinals have only had a top five pick 3 times. The results are Larry Fitzgerald at #3 in 2004, Levi Brown at #5 in 2007 (even though we were all screaming for Adrian Peterson with that pick!) and Patrick Peterson at #5 in 2011. Drafting players this high usually results in franchise changing type players.

This is premature, but it seems apparent the Rams being able to draft Goff #1 & the Eagles drafting Wentz #2 in 2016 is going to set these organizations up to win and compete for the unforeseeable future.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with succeeding, and I'm not sure why fans would cut their nose off to spite their face.

If Rosen comes in & strings off something like winning 6 of 8, it'd mean that the variable holding us down was Bradford, not necessarily the coaches.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
the best part about Rosen succeeding will be when the Cards start marking every touchdown pass by blasting Havanagila, setting off 70,000 screaming fans, dancing the Hora every week! Start learning the lyrics now folks!

Bar and Bat Mitzvahs will quadruple in the Valley in 13 years.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

I hope they’d clear it with him first. The org. could run the risk of coming off as condescending.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I respect your opinion.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is even though I personally want Rosen to succeed and the Cardinals at large, I think a talented player can mask a subpar coaching staff, this hurting the organization long term.

It’s like when a team starts out 2-6 every year and are already out of playoff contention by mid year, only to finish the season 7-9 winning “meaningless” games down the stretch that preserve the coach year after year.

Jeff Fisher is a prime example of this, his record through 5 years with the Rams are as follows:

7-8-1
7-9
6-10
7-9
4-9 (finally fired)

I do believe it is important to “suck” in a year you know you are not playoff bound and have a chance at a top five pick. Since 2002 the Cardinals have only had a top five pick 3 times. The results are Larry Fitzgerald at #3 in 2004, Levi Brown at #5 in 2007 (even though we were all screaming for Adrian Peterson with that pick!) and Patrick Peterson at #5 in 2011. Drafting players this high usually results in franchise changing type players.

This is premature, but it seems apparent the Rams being able to draft Goff #1 & the Eagles drafting Wentz #2 in 2016 is going to set these organizations up to win and compete for the unforeseeable future.

1) It's never important to 'suck', these are professional athletes and coaching staffs and losing is never an option or something they desire, as if a top five pick assures you of anything

2) Wilks still can not be judged fully till at least a few more games because this is a whole new system and it just might be McCoy and not him, hence bringing up Fisher is premature and no I do not want the suck for close to a decade Ram approach

3) We have our QB of the future and the possibilities are high that he's one. He has enough talent not to totally suck where you give up on a top ten pick after the first year, so stating QBs as the draft scenario is futile. Now if he was a fourth round pick that is possible

Sultan

Reaction score
I look at Goff and what the Rams did.

In his rookie season Goff had Jeff Fischer and little talent around him. some how he survived. I believe he had 7 TD's and 10 INT's in his abbreviated rookie season.

Fast forward to McVie coming in and surrounding Goff with some talent. Look at him/them now.

Rosen has IMO a lot more going for him then Goff. He is a very strong guy mentally. He will survive McCoy while he learns the ropes of the NFL. I think he will show flashes of brilliance and will have some games where he passes for 300 yards and gets 2-3 TD's. Mostly though he will be limited by the OC and poor WR core.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I hope they’d clear it with him first. The org. could run the risk of coming off as condescending.
A) they would NEVER do that
B) I don’t think Josh would go for it. While he was born Jewish and likely identifies culturally I believe I read somewhere that’s hes an atheist.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jetstream Green, post: 3788713, member: 594"

3) We have our QB of the future and the possibilities are high that he's one. He has enough talent not to totally suck where you give up on a top ten pick after the first year, so stating QBs as the draft scenario is futile. Now if he was a fourth round pick that is possible[/QUOTE]

Man I don’t see how anyone can say that with the bust rate of rookie QBs, even first round picks. See our last “sure thing” (King Hot Tub”

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jetstream Green, post: 3788713, member: 594"

3) We have our QB of the future and the possibilities are high that he's one. He has enough talent not to totally suck where you give up on a top ten pick after the first year, so stating QBs as the draft scenario is futile. Now if he was a fourth round pick that is possible

Man I don’t see how anyone can say that with the bust rate of rookie QBs, even first round picks. See our last “sure thing” (King Hot Tub”[/QUOTE]

High in regards for the talent he has in why we would not use a top pick on a QB next draft. Hence, Goff was historically bad his first season but they did not 'suck' with a purpose to address the position again which the post seem to imply :)

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The worst part about Rosen succeeding is all the Super Bowl trophies and the fair weather fans that come with them.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't see Rosen as the player that can right the ship for the Cards. There is just so many things wrong with this team, from the coaches down, that a rookie QB isn't going to change the nose dive the team is in right now.

I'd love to see the team get a nice spark from this move, but I just don't see it happening.
I don't think the Cards are starting Rosen because they feel he'll magically turn around the season. More like they felt that 0 & 3 represented a tipping point where developing Rosen via the extra snaps would benefit the team more than winning a few games.

Of course, if we also won a bunch of games with Rosen at QB, it would be icing on the proverbial cake.