The worst part about Rosen succeeding...

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Is the fact that ownership will be conservative and retain this mediocre coaching staff.

To me it was clear if Rosen had been given another drive or two the Cardinals would have won the game. The offense suddenly looked energized with Rosen under center. Too bad the staff decided to wait until we are 0-3 thus guaranteeing this year is a waste before naming Rosen the starter.

At this point I believe if the Cardinals can manage at least 4 wins that will be enough for Wilks to keep his job.

It’s pick your poison. Do you want to see the Cardinals win 6-7 games, keep Wilks/McCoy & Co. and miss out on a top 5 pick?

Or hope Rosen helps this team be competitive but not too competitive, leading the team to 2 or 3 wins, ensuring a top pick in the draft and hopefully a new coaching staff?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Is the fact that ownership will be conservative and retain this mediocre coaching staff.

To me it was clear if Rosen had been given another drive or two the Cardinals would have won the game. The offense suddenly looked energized with Rosen under center. Too bad the staff decided to wait until we are 0-3 thus guaranteeing this year is a waste before naming Rosen the starter.

At this point I believe if the Cardinals can manage at least 4 wins that will be enough for Wilks to keep his job.

It’s pick your poison. Do you want to see the Cardinals win 6-7 games, keep Wilks/McCoy & Co. and miss out on a top 5 pick?

Or hope Rosen helps this team be competitive but not too competitive, leading the team to 2 or 3 wins, ensuring a top pick in the draft and hopefully a new coaching staff?
Since Rosen is the future I agree that they might as well get him in there. I thought the same with Goff but an inept coaching staff and scheme can hold a player back. But, Mayfield shows that the right player can possibly elevate a bad staff and system so I don't disagree with rolling the dice. Sam Darnold shows that the emotion and excitement wear off though. Conservative coaches with vanilla schemes will quickly rise back to the forefront and marginalize production even with fresh faces at QB.

But, I don't agree with what you were seeing from Rosen. I understand the excitement of the shiny new toy finally being on the field but isn't the reality that he threw a bad pick to end one drive(when I turned the game off) and I read that he threw another one that should have been a pick 6 that called back. Seems to me that he was just continuing what Bradford was doing.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't bet against Rosen balling out, making McCoy a non-issue. While he isn't the most creative OC, he had multiple good seasons as OC and multiple winning seasons as a HC. I'm a big critic of McCoy and not gonna search for excuses. But again, if Rosen is who we thought he was, the OC won't matter.

Sometimes offensive creativity gets blown out of proportion. I like 5 yards on a well blocked inside power run much more than on a deceptive gadget run. The latter you can't run over and over again, while you can run the power all game long if it can't be stopped. Same goes for the passing game. Bradford didn't challenge the defense at all, was easy to defend. If Rosen is able to work the intermediate areas between 10 and 20 yards, which has always been his forte, the short stuff along with the run game will open up, as well as the occasional deep shot.

Again, I'm not a fan of McCoy. But ultimately it's all about Rosen. Bradford has been Lindley-esque other than 2 well scripted drives. Nothing any OC could've done about Bradford playing afraid, not stepping up and moving around like a mummy. Rosen has already shown more poise on 10 or so plays than Bradford in almost 3 full games.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
While he isn't the most creative OC, he had multiple good seasons as OC and multiple winning seasons as a HC.
I guess you can't technically take away what was done while he was the HC/OC but it doesn't take much digging to see that those successful stints were likely propped up by Peyton Manning at QB and Ken Whisenhunt and Frank Reich as his OC's. Not to mention Philip Rivers as his QB. Now, I might be willing to give him credit for getting more out of talented veteran QB's. But developing young QB's and creating innovative, unpredictable, adaptive offenses haven't been an obvious strength of his IMO.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
For all those wanting to fire McCoy while the season is in progress is complete idiocy unless Byron Leftwich took over and used the same terminology... the last thing Rosen needs as a rookie is a new playbook to learn

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
For all those wanting to fire McCoy while the season is in progress is complete idiocy unless Byron Leftwich took over and used the same terminology... the last thing Rosen needs as a rookie is a new playbook to learn
I don't know what Byron has to offer as an OC but I don't think it's idiotic to consider replacing McCoy at this early stage of the season. Personally, I don't think McCoy is very good and he won't develop, much less nurture, Rosen moving forward. I don't know what Leftwich is but I do like that he's a former QB and that he was learning under Arians. That suggests potential IMO. McCoy suggests bland mediocrity to me.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't see Rosen as the player that can right the ship for the Cards. There is just so many things wrong with this team, from the coaches down, that a rookie QB isn't going to change the nose dive the team is in right now.

I'd love to see the team get a nice spark from this move, but I just don't see it happening.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Sorry, I just don't see Rosen as the player that can right the ship for the Cards. There is just so many things wrong with this team, from the coaches down, that a rookie QB isn't going to change the nose dive the team is in right now.

I'd love to see the team get a nice spark from this move, but I just don't see it happening.
Sadly, I have to agree. When a coach abandons his starting QB because he's grasping at a way to give the team a spark, it's not a good sign. It's hard to imagine that this team has faith in Wilks at this point or are buying into the McCoy offense or the alignment switch on defense.

While Rosen will probably generate some initial excitement I don't think he's an off-script guy that will be generating production on his own. I could be wrong because I haven't been inclined to study the all-22 to see if there have been plays being left on the field because of Bradford's conservatism but I'm skeptical of that being the case. With Fitz and DJ both being such non factors seemingly by design, I'm doubtful that a switch to a green QB is going to change much.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is some merit to this:

I think the Packers have a wildly inept coaching staff and GM that has held back what should be a Rodgers centered dynasty for years... and only because Rodgers is so damn good.

But, Rogers has won a superbowl. So, if we're trapped in that plight, I'll take it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Patience will be needed with Rosen. We are going to see some throws that Bradford wouldn’t/ couldn’t throw. We are going to see him hold the ball to long at times and make some “dumb” decisions. I just want to see some sparkle if nothing else in bits and pieces. We are now truly looking to the future . Barring injury Rosen will go into next year with 13 games exprience not counting playoff games( just kidding). He will be surrounded by more talent. The only thing that bothers me is having to learn a new system should a new OC be brought in.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the absolute worst case scenario is we go 7-9 or 8-8 and stay mired in the middle of the draft...a place where immediate impact players are already gone and trade value of picks went with them.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Sometimes rookie QB's can inadvertently make an OC better because they have to focus more and can't get as cute. They can get very tied up trying to setup a defense for a play to the point that a lot of deceptive superfluous stuff can creep into the game plan.

Let's be honest I'm not a fan of how things have gone, none of us really know exactly why we're failing and it's more than just one thing but there is only winning and losing and losing sucks. I'd like nothing more than for Rosen to make everyone have a much happier Christmas season.

I want things to work out to produce the most wins, that's always what I want, the draft pick talk is only brought out in times of ultimate darkness and soley for the purposes of actually producing more wins later on. So it does all make sense to root for a top draft pick in that sense, especially when you're dealing with an organization that has on NUMEROUS occasions escaped the top pick by just a goofy win or two.

Now that seems pointless.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't get this thread to be honest. He looked good and with another series we win? He was lucky he didn't throw a game ending pick six and get did throw an INT. I think we are jumping the gun a bit especially with this enept coaching staff .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sometimes rookie QB's can inadvertently make an OC better because they have to focus more and can't get as cute. They can get very tied up trying to setup a defense for a play to the point that a lot of deceptive superfluous stuff can creep into the game plan.

Let's be honest I'm not a fan of how things have gone, none of us really know exactly why we're failing and it's more than just one thing but there is only winning and losing and losing sucks. I'd like nothing more than for Rosen to make everyone have a much happier Chanukah season.

I want things to work out to produce the most wins, that's always what I want, the draft pick talk is only brought out in times of ultimate darkness and soley for the purposes of actually producing more wins later on. So it does all make sense to root for a top draft pick in that sense, especially when you're dealing with an organization that has on NUMEROUS occasions escaped the top pick by just a goofy win or two.

Now that seems pointless.
Fixed it.

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't get this thread to be honest. He looked good and with another series we win? He was lucky he didn't throw a game ending pick six and get did throw an INT. I think we are jumping the gun a bit especially with this enept coaching staff .

Bradford had 4 second half turnovers. I do believe had he been pulled sooner the Bears comeback would have been prevented.

And I agree there’s no guarantee Rosen will light it up. In fact I expect him to take his lumps and endure rookie mistakes, but I also expect him to lead this team to more than an average of 7 points per game (which is more than what they are currently averaging through 3 games).

Regarding Rosen’s short appearance, he picked up multiple first downs and only needed about 1 more to put them in fg range before the 3rd & 2 call suddenly made it 4th & 5 and he had to throw it no matter what.