THE WAY OF THE GUNN - DCU’S NEW ERA

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This can mean one of two things: They've fired Gadot from the character or her cameo in The Flash is meant to tease future movies -- that latter option seems more likely (and hopefully that is the case). I can't think of anyone else better suited for Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why Is James Gunn Convinced the Future of DC Is a Shared Universe?​

This has been one of the big differences between DC and Marvel. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko designed the Marvel Universe as a single cohesive entity. In contrast, the DC universe evolved in fits and starts. It was never designed to be a single shared continuity. Characters were often shoehorned in after corporate acquisitions, creating all sorts of redundancies. In the comics, DC has had to repeatedly reboot to get its shared universe to align, and it has never consistently worked.

Even in the world of comics, it is arguable that many of the most iconic comic book stories were published by DC, but they occurred outside the continuity of their shared universe: Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, New Frontier, All-Star Superman, The Sandman. Marvel doesn’t really have any runs that are broadly accepted as measuring up to those in terms of quality and impact; the exception might be Alan Moore’s tenure on Miracleman, which is also outside continuity.

With all of this in mind, it is absurd that Warners seem intent on throwing a model that was working pretty consistently. Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman grossed over $800M and earned rave reviews. While Wonder Woman 1984 underperformed, it seems unfair to blame Jenkins’ movie for being a sacrificial lamb and canary in the coal mine for the doomed “Project Popcorn.” James Wan and Jason Momoa took Aquaman, a pop culture joke, and made over a billion dollars.

Gunn and Safran have found themselves in the unenviable position of trying to get a house in order while the house is also on fire. However, there is also a sense that the pair might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater as they plan for the future of this gigantic enterprise. Given the company’s track record and the current state of the industry, why are they so certain that the brand’s future lies with the hottest idea of 2012?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OMG, he totally was, wasn't he? I had viciously suppressed those movies--well, the first one, as I didn't watch the second.
Added irony: Chris Evans was the Human Torch in two Fantastic Four movies and then recast as Captain America. Michael B. Jordan was the Human Torch in one Fantastic Four reboot movie and then recast as Erik Killmonger.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Why Is James Gunn Convinced the Future of DC Is a Shared Universe?​

This has been one of the big differences between DC and Marvel. Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, and Steve Ditko designed the Marvel Universe as a single cohesive entity. In contrast, the DC universe evolved in fits and starts. It was never designed to be a single shared continuity. Characters were often shoehorned in after corporate acquisitions, creating all sorts of redundancies. In the comics, DC has had to repeatedly reboot to get its shared universe to align, and it has never consistently worked.

Even in the world of comics, it is arguable that many of the most iconic comic book stories were published by DC, but they occurred outside the continuity of their shared universe: Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Kingdom Come, New Frontier, All-Star Superman, The Sandman. Marvel doesn’t really have any runs that are broadly accepted as measuring up to those in terms of quality and impact; the exception might be Alan Moore’s tenure on Miracleman, which is also outside continuity.

With all of this in mind, it is absurd that Warners seem intent on throwing a model that was working pretty consistently. Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman grossed over $800M and earned rave reviews. While Wonder Woman 1984 underperformed, it seems unfair to blame Jenkins’ movie for being a sacrificial lamb and canary in the coal mine for the doomed “Project Popcorn.” James Wan and Jason Momoa took Aquaman, a pop culture joke, and made over a billion dollars.

Gunn and Safran have found themselves in the unenviable position of trying to get a house in order while the house is also on fire. However, there is also a sense that the pair might be throwing the baby out with the bathwater as they plan for the future of this gigantic enterprise. Given the company’s track record and the current state of the industry, why are they so certain that the brand’s future lies with the hottest idea of 2012?
I think it's the right decision. The DC universe has been a cluster and been anything but consistent unless you consider a roller coaster of quality of cohesion consistent. It's the right decision overall but cutting HC and GG is utterly stupid.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
This can mean one of two things: They've fired Gadot from the character or her cameo in The Flash is meant to tease future movies -- that latter option seems more likely (and hopefully that is the case). I can't think of anyone else better suited for Wonder Woman than Gal Gadot.
I think she’s done. Gunn is going for a fresh reboot with new actors. I can’t think of anyone better to play Supes outside of Cavill at the moment, and that didn’t matter.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think she’s done. Gunn is going for a fresh reboot with new actors. I can’t think of anyone better to play Supes outside of Cavill at the moment, and that didn’t matter.
They have delved into the multiverse. It would be so easy to reboot things and keep GG and HC. Just seems like they are just saying...screw it. Let's start over. The problem is the Flash is still coming, Joker 2 is still coming. Aquaman 2 is still coming. One of the biggest fan complaints has been all the confusing properties. Those movies coming out in the next year or two are just going to add to it along with their "plan".

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Height means nothing in movies, but I didn't realize she was so old.
Here we go again. Wonder Woman is an Amazon (listed as 6 feet or just a bit taller in the comics) so height should mean something. :D

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m guessing she’s gonzo also. Writing’s on the wall here and I seriously doubt Gunn is going to recast the entire DCEU, except Gal, no matter how perfect she is/was for the role. That would just be inviting even more confusion than there already will be with what looks like a wholesale reboot.

OP
OP
Cheesebeef

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's the right decision. The DC universe has been a cluster and been anything but consistent unless you consider a roller coaster of quality of cohesion consistent. It's the right decision overall but cutting HC and GG is utterly stupid.
the DCEU has been a cluster! They need to start completely fresh… but keep a couple of old faces!

Do you guys even realize how much you’re arguing against not only James Gunn, but your own arguments? It’s comical.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach