The Reason.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
When the Cardinals start acting like the "same old Cardinals" long time fans start to wonder why they are able to predict how this team is going to lose. They know an embarrassing loss or entire season of failures is eminent and sure enough it happens. The reason is that you have watched the same factors combine to cause these losses for decades and have just not pinpointed what they are. Are you ready to know? Well here it is.

First, we have to take a look at the most important player or group of players on a winning team. I am not a football genius, but through many years of playing and watching football I have come to the same conclusion most experts have come to in regards to this topic. The order of importance are this: 1. Quarterback. 2. Offensive line. 3. Defensive front seven (the guys who stuff the run and rush the passer). With this fundamental truth established we can move on.

Lets now look back at the Cards history and find commonalities. It's irrelevant to go back too far so we will just start at 1970. From that point to now when has this team been good?

From 1974 through 76 the Cards fielded a very good QB (Jim Hart), a very good O-line (in 1975 the line consisting of Dierdorf, Banks, Dobler, Young, and Finnie, allowed just EIGHT sacks-setting the record for fewest sacks given up in a season up to that point), and an average D-line. Two out of three ain't bad. The result: Three winning seasons in a row and two playoff appearances.

From 1982 through 84 they were a good team with three winning seasons in a row, one playoff appearance, and one memorable near miss (9-7 1984). QB: Lomax, with above average O-line (Luis Sharpe and Tootie Robbins), and an average front seven (Curtis Greer and E.J. Junior). Pretty good across the board. Thus, the pretty good but not great results.

There was the 1998 season with Plumber at QB, an average line (Lomas Brown), and a very good front seven (Rice, Swann, Smith, Wadsworth, and Miller). Result: Playoffs.

Then of course there was the 2008 and 09 seasons. Everyone knows who was on those teams. Hall of fame QB, average O-line and above average front seven. Again, two out of three was good enough. The result: First Super Bowl appearance.

Now go back and look at all of the losing seasons and remember all the no name talentless QB's. The leaky/can't block for my talented RB O-lines and the steam rolled D-lines. By the way...it does not matter how talented your RB's, WR's, or DB's are, for they all rely on the big three to function properly. Just think of all the talent that has been wasted because someone or a few someones were missing from the big three areas.

Are you starting to see it? The Chicago/St.Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals have never understood the method used by so many other winning organizations.(Look at a just the recent history of Super Bowl winners for proof). To win in the NFL you must have at least one, if not all of the big three positions taken care of consistently or your chances of winning year in and year out drop drastically.

Look at this years team. Are any of the big three areas of importance worthy of being called above average or great? NO! Therefore, the conclusion is this. Watch Cardinals football, but don't get too caught up in the losing. You know the reason behind it. Until this team has a good QB, O-line, and D-line it is not worth wasting real emotions over. PEACE.

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Well mix in terrible coaching and you get disaster.

A great coach can mask some of these 3 areas. A good chef can take left overs and make a quality meal. A bad chef can mess up Prime Rib and Shrimp. The bad thing is Whiz deosnt utilize what we have. offense has to be better than it was the last 7 minutes....We looked inept and poorly coached.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Well mix in terrible coaching and you get disaster.

A great coach can mask some of these 3 areas. A good chef can take left overs and make a quality meal. A bad chef can mess up Prime Rib and Shrimp. The bad thing is Whiz deosnt utilize what we have. offense has to be better than it was the last 7 minutes....We looked inept and poorly coached.

We looked inept and poorly coached because we WERE inept and poorly coached. There is just no way to sugar-coat that situation. I am not calling Whiz a bad coach-----but I am saying that he did a bad coaching job against the Vikes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you starting to see it? The Chicago/St.Louis/Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals have never understood the method used by so many other winning organizations.(Look at a just the recent history of Super Bowl winners for proof). To win in the NFL you must have at least one, if not all of the big three positions taken care of consistently or your chances of winning year in and year out drop drastically.

I find it hard to believe that there could be ANY organization in the NFL that doesn't realize the supreme importance of those 3 areas. Two cliches you can count on hearing on any given weekend: the QB is the most important position on the field and this game is won in the trenches. They all know the importance of the QB and both lines.

IMO, you don't go from having perhaps the worst overall organization in professional sports to one of the best organizations overnight. It's a process and there are bound to be ups and downs. Also, you aren't doing this unopposed. Just about every organization at or near the bottom also wants to become the Steelers or the Patriots or the Colts. The added revenue streams of UOP have only recently allowed the Cardinals to begin this journey.

I think between the weakness of the NFC West and the surprising re-emergence of Warner we've appeared to be further along in this process than we really were. This year is showing all of us that we still have quite a ways to go. Obviously, we still have an organization that at times makes unwise dollar decisions.

Lock up players like Dansby before irrevocable damage is done and spend the money necessary to put together a functional coaching staff. We'll probably never know how much of this staff problem is on Whiz and how much is on Bill Bidwill but from history alone, I think Michael still has a battle or two to win with his father. And I think recent history shows that Michael will continue to try and win these kind of battles.

Steve

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that there could be ANY organization in the NFL that doesn't realize the supreme importance of those 3 areas. Two cliches you can count on hearing on any given weekend: the QB is the most important position on the field and this game is won in the trenches. They all know the importance of the QB and both lines.

IMO, you don't go from having perhaps the worst overall organization in professional sports to one of the best organizations overnight. It's a process and there are bound to be ups and downs. Also, you aren't doing this unopposed. Just about every organization at or near the bottom also wants to become the Steelers or the Patriots or the Colts. The added revenue streams of UOP have only recently allowed the Cardinals to begin this journey.

I think between the weakness of the NFC West and the surprising re-emergence of Warner we've appeared to be further along in this process than we really were. This year is showing all of us that we still have quite a ways to go. Obviously, we still have an organization that at times makes unwise dollar decisions.

Lock up players like Dansby before irrevocable damage is done and spend the money necessary to put together a functional coaching staff. We'll probably never know how much of this staff problem is on Whiz and how much is on Bill Bidwill but from history alone, I think Michael still has a battle or two to win with his father. And I think recent history shows that Michael will continue to try and win these kind of battles.

Steve

:notworthy:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sadly, a lot of us thought that the Cards had all 3 in place going into this season. Free Agents Faneca and Porter, 4 starters back on the oline, veterans Dockett and the emerging Campbell, first round pick Williams at NT, Promising rookie LB in Washington. Leinart with 4 years in the system to move in for Warner.

Then Leinart doesn't pan out, the offensive line is redone, Faneca and Porter play to their age, Williams doesn't play at all, Campbell regresses, Dockett is inconsistent, and it's right back to the same old Cardinals. No QB, and below average front lines.

:sad:

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
You did not mention why it seems so many players leave AZ and even though many could not play here play great everywhere else. I would add to your list another Bidwill issue. His organization can not identify, develop and retain talent. RB seems to be a major position where this occurs with Thomas Jones being the latest example. Did frustration with Bidwill have any role to play in Warner retiring early? If you work for a boss who is a schmuck it tends to drive out your enthusiasm.

Also why is AZ the spot where head coaches go to die? Has there been any head coach since Coryell who went on to be a head coach elsewhere in the NFL after Bidwill is finished with them? Should many of them never have been head coaches in the first place. Denny Green had success before AZ.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You did not mention why it seems so many players leave AZ and even though many could not play here play great everywhere else. I would add to your list another Bidwill issue. His organization can not identify, develop and retain talent. RB seems to be a major position where this occurs with Thomas Jones being the latest example. Did frustration with Bidwill have any role to play in Warner retiring early? If you work for a boss who is a schmuck it tends to drive out your enthusiasm.

Also why is AZ the spot where head coaches go to die? Has there been any head coach since Coryell who went on to be a head coach elsewhere in the NFL after Bidwill is finished with them? Should many of them never have been head coaches in the first place. Denny Green had success before AZ.

Joe "Big Nickel" Bugel was HC of the Raiders in 1997. He was 4-12 there too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn