The Players STILL dont know Arians Offense

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
This was very apparent being a the game this past Sunday and sitting near the field level wit TJ. There were at least 10 different plays where Carson was having to move a guy and exhort him to get in the right place, Players looking back at the QB with hands up in air, and I know for a fact Michael Floyd has NO IDEA on one pass play where he was supposed to go and just ran an ad lib route.

This was reinforced with comments by Urban and Somers and by Arians comments on how it never takes this long usually the past 48 hours.

Palmers 2 INTs were maddening but on the INT in the end zone, I dont think Floyd got the right depth on that throw. Could be wrong.

IF was just like you saw on TV. The team was listless and incredibly lacking energy for all of the first half. Playing stupid going through the motions. I will say it was oppressively hot and humid and I was wondering how the guys were adjusting. You saw alot of guys tap out over the course of a game and really I cant blame them having been there.

This team was dominant in the second half though. They figured out TBs defense and offense at the half and adjusted really well. They moved the ball at will most of the 2nd half if not for Palmers INT's. Protection was very good and the only actual sack was just a complete missed assignment 1st play of game (again they looked unprepared to play in all honesty). Defense played great and gutted out at least 6-7 injuries before and during game. Like how Bowles adjusts.

2-2 is very good with 3 of first 4 on Road IMO. There is definite upside on this team as they grow into offense and I the defense is very very good and will only improve with Washington and Williams back. 2nd in run defense in the league behind Denver and thats a skewed stat for obvious reasons.

Theres also some potentially very limiting areas that could hold us back. TE play, Tackle play, LBs outside of Wash in Coverage, and yes Quarterback play. Palmer has not impressed. Misses reads like a rook, that intentional grounding play was text book and killer, and of course 6 INTs is unacceptable. I am actually at point where I openly wonder what mobility and knowledge of offense for Stanton would mean for this team. To be fair though all the skill guys were looking at Palmer for advise all game so he has the playbook down I believe.

Overall terrible game to be at for 56 minutes and then a last 4 minutes that more then made up for it.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I was like you most of the game, only I was watching from my family room. This offense is still quite dis-jointed, but the defense seems to have come together far quicker than Horton's did. ST's and defense kept us in the game until PP's first interception. The pass to Fitz for a TD after the interception was a thing of beauty, so when everyone is on the same page, it doesn't look so bad. I sure hope that BA gets a handle on the offensive roster soon. It would sure be nice to see our offense give the defense some rest against Carolina this coming Sunday.

Being 2-2 after three of 4 games on the road is great though. I am very happy with the results thus far, even though the offense has been very weak overall.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that Levi does not know he needs to block? :D

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Theres also some potentially very limiting areas that could hold us back. TE play, Tackle play, LBs outside of Wash in Coverage, and yes Quarterback play. Palmer has not impressed. Misses reads like a rook, that intentional grounding play was text book and killer, and of course 6 INTs is unacceptable. I am actually at point where I openly wonder what mobility and knowledge of offense for Stanton would mean for this team. To be fair though all the skill guys were looking at Palmer for advise all game so he has the playbook down I believe.

I know it's a radical idea, but how about lining Calais Campbell up at tight end for a play or two ala Patrick Peterson. This idea first manifested itself while I was watching how helpless the Cardinal defense was against Jimmy Graham. For all CC know he has hands of stone, but I'm just desparate enough to hope they consider it. I mean the guy towers over just about everybody on the field.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Levi?

Levi is not the problem with the Cardinals, BA is on Mendehall in this read but it is across the board every unit and that points to a coaching failure! 38 passes to 16 runs - does not build consistency- The run game is not a primary weapon. We are big play and count on turnovers ball club! Or defense is playing damage control.

BA kind have admits not practicing or nurturing the run in the link below- But just like WHIZ it is the HC's and coaching staffs responsibility to put the team in position to succeed. More negative talk after a lucky win.

With that said it is correctable - We must develop the run game in a play action offense- Tampa ran a lot for very little and owned us - just one example.

link
http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/a...ashard_mendenhall_cant_play_that_way/14664218

"We need to practice him a little bit harder," Arians said. "I think we've been too easy on him in practice because of his injuries, and we need to hone him up more because he's not gaining anything."

So what you are saying is that Levi does not know he needs to block? :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
As a former teacher, if one student isn't getting the material (Michael Floyd), then it's probably the student's fault for not working hard enough or whatever.

If the entire team isn't on the same page, it's probably the teachers' fault for not installing the offense in a way that makes sense for the group.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im gonna go out on a limb and say Michael Floyd isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Hes a gifted athlete sure. But the rest who knows.

There were rumblings of the same issues with him last year as well.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The thing that scares me and makes me feel a little better all at the same time is that BA has specifically said that it is taking too long for the team to get this offense. My hope with that statement is that they find an approach or maybe cut a few plays for now to make sure that the plays that are being run on game day are being run properly by all 11 guys on the field.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Im gonna go out on a limb and say Michael Floyd isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Hes a gifted athlete sure. But the rest who knows.

There were rumblings of the same issues with him last year as well.

It just reinforces why he will never grow into a productive and quality player that was worthy of a first round draft pick. It still bugs me that he was our first pick in 2012. He was suppose to help take away some of the double and triple coverage Fitz was seeing however I don't think Floyd strikes fear in any DC game plans. Ah well water under the bridge. Maybe we could trade him for OLB help. Are any teams short at WR? Maybe Brady can do something with him?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just reinforces why he will never grow into a productive and quality player that was worthy of a first round draft pick. It still bugs me that he was our first pick in 2012. He was suppose to help take away some of the double and triple coverage Fitz was seeing however I don't think Floyd strikes fear in any DC game plans. Ah well water under the bridge. Maybe we could trade him for OLB help. Are any teams short at WR? Maybe Brady can do something with him?
Floyd look solid on Sunday to me.

:shrug:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He would probably look more solid then he does if he knew the play book and right routes all the time. Plus as a high 1st rounder he should be more then solid. He should strike fear into a D and have to be game planned for.

Last edited:

Vermont Maverick

Registered
Reaction score
This team was dominant in the second half though. They figured out TBs defense and offense at the half and adjusted really well. They moved the ball at will most of the 2nd half if not for Palmers INT's. Protection was very good and the only actual sack was just a complete missed assignment 1st play of game (again they looked unprepared to play in all honesty). Defense played great and gutted out at least 6-7 injuries before and during game. Like how Bowles adjusts.

THIS is encouraging. Halftime adjustments on both sides of the ball! That works much better than watching Springsteen at halftime.

Bowles has done a pretty good job so far. Horton is doing another great job in Cleveland, but this D is still pretty good. I love the fact that CC and DD are turned loose.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He would probably look more solid then he does if he knew the play book and right routes all the time. Plus as a high 1st rounder he should be more then solid. He should strike fear into a D and have to be game planned for.
Fitzgerald also had trouble lining up wrong and might have been slow getting out of his break.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a former teacher, if one student isn't getting the material (Michael Floyd), then it's probably the student's fault for not working hard enough or whatever.

If the entire team isn't on the same page, it's probably the teachers' fault for not installing the offense in a way that makes sense for the group.

Especially if that same student had the exact same issues last year as a rookie with the old staff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's the frustrating part, when he knows the offense he's pretty good. Against the Saints he lined up incorrectly on consecutive plays. First time Palmer moved him, 2nd time he had to call Timeout.

Same issue last year, as a rookie Wiz put the onus on the QB's to make sure he was lined up correctly, that was one of the issues with Skelton he wasn't doing it and Wiz got mad.

But it's year 2, even with a new offense, Floyd has to start to show he's capable of learning the offense.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's the frustrating part, when he knows the offense he's pretty good. Against the Saints he lined up incorrectly on consecutive plays. First time Palmer moved him, 2nd time he had to call Timeout.

Same issue last year, as a rookie Wiz put the onus on the QB's to make sure he was lined up correctly, that was one of the issues with Skelton he wasn't doing it and Wiz got mad.

But it's year 2, even with a new offense, Floyd has to start to show he's capable of learning the offense.
I agree.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already done. Don't recall Fitz being slow or having issues.
Arians said he yelled at Fitz for being slow out of the break on one of the picks. Fitz admitted it. Or something. Whatever. Floyd's production was damn decent. :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians said he yelled at Fitz for being slow out of the break on one of the picks. Fitz admitted it. Or something. Whatever. Floyd's production was damn decent. :)

Sounds like covering for your ****ty QB to me and giving an excuse to not hold the signal caller "accountable" :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Floyd lining up on the field for one play per game gives us that type of production, I'll take it. Floyd was one of the few bright spots in the game yesterday.