The official "Hey, Stout - it's another remake!" thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't hate this idea. I enjoyed the movie and the tv show, so the transition to a new lead is definitely possible.
They had their moments but I liked the idea of them more than the actual movies and the TV show (and the spinoff). Bigger budgets, better writing and they could draw a nice audience, including me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Nah. No freaking way. No way, no how. There can be only one. That first movie was freaking gold and never more shall be acknowledged. Harumph.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first one was the best. The rest sucked. I thought the series was better. I am OK with a remake of this.
The first one was a lot of fun when it came out, can't say the same about any of the others. But I rewatched the first one about 5 years ago and for me, at least, it didn't hold up at all. It was kind of like rewatching the 1980 version of Flash Gordon decades later and trying to figure out how drunk I must have been when I loved it the first time through.

I liked the TV show a lot more when I rewatched it a few years ago but everything just seemed too low budget to me.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is absolutely one of my favorite threads on this site. Never change, my man! :thumbup:
Haha, thanks!

Usually I'm relatively apathetic and just won't watch. This one? This one would be an abomination only rivaled by the (thankfully) defunct remake of Big Trouble in Little China featuring the Rock.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha, thanks!

Usually I'm relatively apathetic and just won't watch. This one? This one would be an abomination only rivaled by the (thankfully) defunct remake of Big Trouble in Little China featuring the Rock.
Big Trouble in Little China is soooo perfect, is should be protected from a reboot. There should be an historical society that protects original movies like historic homes. I nominate you to be the president of it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big Trouble in Little China is soooo perfect, is should be protected from a reboot. There should be an historical society that protects original movies like historic homes. I nominate you to be the president of it.
I know I'm in the minority on this but Kurt Russell was the only thing I really liked about that movie. I'd remake it every year until they got it right if there was another young Kurt Russell available. But since there isn't, no thanks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deffo in the minority.
I'm sure. I've given it a fair chance having watched it multiple times and I just don't get the love for the movie other than Kurt Russell. At first, I just figured it was because the movie appears to be in my wheelhouse and I was judging it against unrealistic expectations. But over the years I've rewatched it with greatly lowered expectations and it still does little for me. Oh well, different strokes...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, just no.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Brandon Lee wasn't what I would call a great actor but had great physicality and was descent. Bill is the better actor by a longshot so this is one scenario where I think depending on the script it could work. However, man....the original is a classic. I was crushed when I heard Brandon died. The sequels all sucked.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Brandon Lee wasn't what I would call a great actor but had great physicality and was descent. Bill is the better actor by a longshot so this is one scenario where I think depending on the script it could work. However, man....the original is a classic. I was crushed when I heard Brandon died. The sequels all sucked.
You watch Rapid Fire and then The Crow, and you will see a demonstrative difference in his acting. He was improving by leaps and bounds and would have eventually been the best acting martial artist ever IMO.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Oh, it's nothing on Bill or his acting. It's that they're going to remake a classic that IMO shouldn't be touched due to Brandon. The original is amazing and it's not like they've been able to produce anything good since it with the sequels or tv show. Somethings need to be left alone.

I think of it like Doctor Who's fixed points in time. They're events that had such a long-standing and impactful impacts on the timeline that no one, even the Time Lords, will alter or interfere with them. There's a bunch of movies that I feel this way on and this is one of them. There's a difference between remaking say Total Recall, which gets an eye roll, vs this or something like the original SW trilogy, Godfather, etc.

I would love to see a UHD release of The Crow though. The blu-ray releases have all been poor. I've been hoping we might see it in within the next year for the 30 anniversary.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, just no.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It’s still bananas to me that the lead of this movie was shot dead ON SET… and then they kept making the movie. And then released it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It’s still bananas to me that the lead of this movie was shot dead ON SET… and then they kept making the movie. And then released it.
Have you read the book about the making of the movie? It's really good, but they had most of the movie shot already and they thought it was a tribute to Brandon and his fiancee at the time. Turned out to be right. Michael Massee (RIP) was the one that fired the gun and he was in pretty bad shape for years after the movie.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You watch Rapid Fire and then The Crow, and you will see a demonstrative difference in his acting. He was improving by leaps and bounds and would have eventually been the best acting martial artist ever IMO.
He was about to become a mainstream action star and then the accident happened. Just tragic. I was still training at the time and all of the people at our Dojo started calling each other when the news hit. Just tragic.