Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:|

Sony Spawns Several Superfluous Sequels
Jul 12, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) --
A quick game to see if you have what it takes to be a studio executive:

Which of the following films is most in need of a sequel?

1) Rowdy Herrington's 1989 honky-tonk landmark "Road House"

2) Danny Cannon's already textually unnecessary 1998 sequel "I Still Know What You Did Last Summer"

3) Paul Verhoven's 2000 invisible man saga "Hollow Man"

4) All of the above

5) None of the above

If you didn't answer "All of the above," there's no place for you at Sony Pictures Entertainment. The studio is moving forward with sequels to all three movies, though it remains unclear which of the follow-ups would be eligible for theatrical release and which go straight to DVD.

On an estimated production budget of just under $100 million, "Hollow Man," which starred Kevin Bacon, only made $73 million domestically, though it brought in an additional $118 million around the world. Douglas Wick's Red Wagon is producing the sequel, which reportedly focuses on a Seattle detective and a biologist who are doing battle with an invisible assassin. Joel Soisson wrote the script, which will be directed by Claudio Feah, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

August should also see the production of "Road House 2 -- Last Call," written by Miles Chapman. Scott Ziehl ("Cruel Intentions 3") is in talks to direct and an offer is out to Johnathon Schaech ("That Thing You Do!") to star.

Michael D. Weiss ("Octopus II: River of Fear") wrote the latest installment of "Last Summer," rumored to be dubbed "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer." The film will revolve around an entirely new group of young, attractive characters who become involved with a killer who claims that he has knowledge of how they spent the summer months. Slashing will ensue starting in Utah in the late summer.

---------------------------------

Hey, Kate - still no X-Files 2.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
:biglaugh:

No doubt.

What a joke!

When I first heard about this, I thought it HAD to be a joke. I guess not. How bizarre. I liked the first Roadhouse okay (I can't bring myself to say anything bad about Patrick Swayze)...but a sequel? Really?

Djaughe

Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Hey, Kate - Scream 4...

Oh, yeah - Lilo and Stitch has a sequel out on DVD also. :D

STILL no X-Files 2.

lol...at this rate Mulder and Sculley will be checking into a retirement home to look fer spooks...

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
lol...at this rate Mulder and Sculley will be checking into a retirement home to look fer spooks...

i'd still watch em!!!!!!

:fans:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Kate - they just wrapped on the filming of a sequel to Save the Last Dance...without Julia Stiles as the lead actress...

Save the Last Dance 2: Stepping Up was shot in Toronto and the surrounding area and continues the story of Sara Johnson, the girl from a Chicago ghetto, who now attends Julliard to pursue her dream of becoming a professional ballerina. At the prestigious arts academy in New York, Sara must prove to herself and others that she is cut out for the competitive world of ballet.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Hey, Kate - they just wrapped on the filming of a sequel to Save the Last Dance...without Julia Stiles as the lead actress...

Save the Last Dance 2: Stepping Up was shot in Toronto and the surrounding area and continues the story of Sara Johnson, the girl from a Chicago ghetto, who now attends Julliard to pursue her dream of becoming a professional ballerina. At the prestigious arts academy in New York, Sara must prove to herself and others that she is cut out for the competitive world of ballet.

:thud:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We need to make a low budget film about Kate, a diehard X-Files fan who is frustrated by all of the sequels coming out of Hollywood and yet still no X-Files 2.

:idea:

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Kate - don't forget about these two sequels being released on DVD today. :D

The Prince & Me 2 - Royal Wedding (2006)

Stuart Little 3 - Call of the Wild (2006)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, Kate - thought you might enjoy this movie while you're waiting for the X-Files sequel. :D

The Cutting Edge: Going for the Gold

Available March 28th on DVD.

Christy Carlson Romano stars as the young and beautiful daughter of the original skaters from 'The Cutting Edge' who is reluctantly teamed up with a handsome but aimless inline skater to begin training for Olympics pairs figure skating. As they train for the Olympics, neither of them will admit their need for their professional relationship to work. Nor will they admit their growing feelings for each other.

Rated PG-13 for sexual situations, nudity and language.

Special Features include commentary by the cast and crew, a photo gallery, a movie montage with music by Christy Carlson Romano and more...

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Van Wilder Deux: The Rise of Taj is the sequel to the successful 2002 release, National Lampoon's "Van Wilder." Taj (Kal Penn) from the first film, heads to England's prestigious Oxford University to further his studies while in the process, showing the uptight student body how to party.

Release date 12/1/06...

Poor Kate is still waiting. :|

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave