The meltdown against Seattle, my take.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
That's not true - we could play Seattle the 16th if they and GB win next week.

That's not true! The Hawks are the 6th seed & if they win they move to Carolina no ifs ands or buts about it. :p

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ever hear of the Chicago Bulls?

barely made the playoffs...but peat...repeat,...threepeat... how many peats was it??

their players were even known to say it out right in interviews...regular season don't mean squat,...just make the playoffs,...that is where you have to win..............and they did.

the same Bulls that set 2 records for regular season wins, won 60 plus games 3 other times and were never lower then the 3rd best record in the entire league during their 6 titles?

And even if any of the above was true (which it wasn't), not sure you can really make any kind of comparison between a 6 time title team and how they play in the regular season versus this Cardinals team that has never won a title... or even a playoff game.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Somehow I don't get the feeling that had the score been reversed too many here would be proclaiming it was a meaningless game.

It would have been entirely meaningless. Now I would have LOVED to see Pete's smug ass get a comeuppance, but other than that, completely meaningless. It was a "force JB to 1K game." If Seattle looked as disinterested, who cares what the score is? I don't get hyped up about preseason.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would have been entirely meaningless. Now I would have LOVED to see Pete's smug ass get a comeuppance, but other than that, completely meaningless. It was a "force JB to 1K game." If Seattle looked as disinterested, who cares what the score is? I don't get hyped up about preseason.

Not only would it have been meaningless, we would have had players and coaches reading their own press clippings for two weeks.

Now Arians can bust their chops for two weeks.

NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER WOULD HAVE CHANGED. Every team needs a little glimplse of their own vulnerability.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only would it have been meaningless, we would have had players and coaches reading their own press clippings for two weeks.

NOTHING ELSE WHATSOEVER WOULD HAVE CHANGED. Every team needs a little glimplse of their own vulnerability.

Agreed entirely. Having them blasted is a great motivator, and BA will use it to get them hot and ready.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

honestly, if this team, which has never won a title or even a playoff game would have been so far over the moon about itself reading press-clippings after a W, then I would have serious questions about their ability to win the whole thing. They've never won ANYTHING. The idea that a team that's never accomplished anything in the playoffs needs a glimpse of their own vulnerability seems silly to me.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't think the players or coaches give a rat's ass about the fans being pissed off about the results of this game. All that matters to them is getting ready to play either Washington or Green Bay in 2 weeks. This week will be some R&R and working on plays the coaches believe will work against either team, then refining the game plan for the winner of the wild card game.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
And, on MMQB

But, they all scoffed at the question and said they are not...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 146

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
honestly, if this team, which has never won a title or even a playoff game would have been so far over the moon about itself reading press-clippings after a W, then I would have serious questions about their ability to win the whole thing. They've never won ANYTHING. The idea that a team that's never accomplished anything in the playoffs needs a glimpse of their own vulnerability seems silly to me.
Well it would have been their 10th straight win going into the playoffs. Not just "a W".

chickenhead

Reaction score
I don't knock anyone for being disappointed in this game--and losing to Seattle always sucks--but I have to admit, when I saw the score along with Tampa's win, I was a bit 'meh.' The team lost this game, but they did not back into the playoffs. They just finished winning nine in a row: including two contests for seeding that were "road team takeovers" (Green Bay and Minnesota), all three divisional foes, and another game of the week (Cincinnati).

No one got hurt against Seattle << more important to me than anything.

Seattle can crow all they want, but I believe that if they face each other again in the playoffs, this game means nothing. Arizona beat Seattle on the road, too, and in a game that had much bigger implications for the Cards. Plus, Arizona will have the home field in this scenario. Beating any NFL team twice in one year is hard; beating them twice in their house is even harder. I'm not sleeping on Seattle's ability to do it, but I'm not sleeping on Arizona's ability to win, either.

But we have different opponents to worry about in the meantime...

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

I think it has a lot to do with players living in the moment, their own moment which really has nothing to do with this team or the team history. I really believe guys like John Brown and Bucannon think they where entitled something like the rest of their generation after winning this season so far regardless of what 'right things' they might say in the press... I seriously doubt that removed from Fitz being a Cardinal or Palmer being a one time Bengal knowing how tough it is to win, that these guys go into a game thinking the Cardinal's past has anything to do with them or their future

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Strangely enough, I am not bitter, or angry, or disgusted, or even greatly disappointed with our loss to Seattle on Sunday. There are several reasons for this.

For one, I don't know if you noticed it, but this was a complete 'team loss'. It was done by everyone 'together', just like they have done everything else this year. We could not run the ball, or stop the run. We could not pass the ball well or catch it with regularity. We could not block well, or tackle either. Our quarterbacks probably made more poor decisions in this game than in all the other fifteen combined. We could not kick the ball with any accuracy, nor could we contain a kick or punt returner. We melted down completely across the board, and the players did it 'together' just like they have done all year long.

I feel that, while it is never good to lose, that these guys were simply to a point where, (after constantly being honed to a razor edge in game after game after game in securing their place for the playoffs), they just sort of ran out of energy to maintain their emotional poise and edge. They all, just sort of ran out of gas mentally and emotionally at the same time. Thankfully this was a game that, (other than being against a bitter division rival), was totally meaningless in its effect on the outcome of the season.

I am sure that this team will face its pundits with one voice as well. While I am sure that they are not proud of their combined effort, they will make no excuses for this loss either. They played without emotion, and they played poorly. They know it, and I hope that they accept it for what it was. Simply running on empty emotionally. They are still the NFC West Champions, and they are still the #2 seed in the playoffs. Now they have extra time in which to hone that razor edge that they played with until they secured their place in the playoffs. I am betting that they will do that 'together' too.

Some may have been playing not to get hurt? Who would want a sprained knee just when we are ready for a playoff game?

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Add in the fact it's very hard to beat a team three times in one season.

I want to believe Arians set his team up for a fall. Won't know for a few weeks but this could be a brilliant chess move.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree while 14 wins would have been nice you dont want to risk get anoyone majorly hurt in a meaningless game mainly palmer

So let seattle talk trash after the cards will make them pay for it if cards and seahawks play in the playoffs

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn