The Market 2021

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well more that I think Elon is a fraud. He’s pretty much failed at everything he’s ever done and Tesla’s car division isn’t really profitable and the quality is dead last. He’s won’t be the best he was just first in my opinion

I don't think the point of the Tesla is to be profit but more so profitability. Pushing the market to adopt EV is part of a larger overall plan. Startup car companies will not be hugely profitable either way but at the same time, tech companies are generally focused on innovation with profit vs just taking huge profits. His vision to overturn the market and chur everything into EV is working tremendously. We have, what, 40 new EV models over the next 3 years now? All because the big boys see the demand for EV due to Tesla making EV that people actually want. The Chevy Bolt and Prius weren't going to do it.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think the point of the Tesla is to be profit but more so profitability. Pushing the market to adopt EV is part of a larger overall plan. Startup car companies will not be hugely profitable either way but at the same time, tech companies are generally focused on innovation with profit vs just taking huge profits. His vision to overturn the market and chur everything into EV is working tremendously. We have, what, 40 new EV models over the next 3 years now? All because the big boys see the demand for EV due to Tesla making EV that people actually want. The Chevy Bolt and Prius weren't going to do it.

yeah I think his cars were his entry point. My buddy has one of those Tesla power banks on his house and loves it

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I think his cars were his entry point. My buddy has one of those Tesla power banks on his house and loves it

those along with solar will be a big deal. Rumor is they are working on HVAC too. It is not a near future item but solar+powerbank+HVAC+EV will be a nice combo for issues like power outages (See TX a few weeks ago). I see it all as a big picture plan to accelerate the tech he is working on, drive down price and get all things closer to something sustainable on mars as well.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
those along with solar will be a big deal. Rumor is they are working on HVAC too. It is not a near future item but solar+powerbank+HVAC+EV will be a nice combo for issues like power outages (See TX a few weeks ago). I see it all as a big picture plan to accelerate the tech he is working on, drive down price and get all things closer to something sustainable on mars as well.

I haven’t heard anything about that.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything about that.

Something with a similar setup to the new octovalve heat pump systems they are doing in the model Y and future vehicles.

https://www.achrnews.com/articles/143339-elon-musk-is-attempting-to-revolutionize-hvac-systems

How Tesla’s Model Y Leads To A New HVAC Product
For Tesla’s upcoming Model Y crossover, the engineering team went back to the drawing board to create a solution for heating, as well as the necessary battery range to reach their targets.

Tesla’s biggest challenge with regards to their batteries was performance during cold weather. Their solution was the new heat pump that Musk has said represents some of the best engineering he has seen in a long time.

Musk has previously voiced his support for smart HVAC systems for the home. However, it may finally become part of Tesla’s overall strategy, as Musk confirmed that his home HVAC would be quiet and include some form of humidity control and a HEPA filter.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it fraud exactly, but I think Tesla has mislead their fan base a bit when it comes to some of their tech. FSD is a big one. I've been reading a lot of the different EV subreds lately due to buying Lucid. There's so many comments on it that it's not funny. People are really under the impression that a software update will give it to them. "I can't wait to have my car drive me to work and then put it into taxi mode to drive around and make me money all day." That type of thing when it's not going to happen without hardware changes too.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't call it fraud exactly, but I think Tesla has mislead their fan base a bit when it comes to some of their tech. FSD is a big one. I've been reading a lot of the different EV subreds lately due to buying Lucid. There's so many comments on it that it's not funny. People are really under the impression that a software update will give it to them. "I can't wait to have my car drive me to work and then put it into taxi mode to drive around and make me money all day." That type of thing when it's not going to happen without hardware changes too.

It is still a ways away. The current beta being rolled out is listed as level 2 only but is actually further ahead than that. By listing it as level 2, they are allowed to roll it out to more drivers and collect massive data from it to accelerate the machine learning is my understanding.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It is still a ways away. The current beta being rolled out is listed as level 2 only but is actually further ahead than that. By listing it as level 2, they are allowed to roll it out to more drivers and collect massive data from it to accelerate the machine learning is my understanding.

Right but the problem is that the hardware that's in most of their cars that are on the road won't reliably support > level 2. They're going to need hardware upgrades. If you listen to the fan boys their cars are going to get level 5 at the flip of a switch.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

So Musk's strategy is to sink a ton of capital into new technology so that the competition can figure out how to exploit that technology for profit? That would be, um, novel.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Musk's strategy is to sink a ton of capital into new technology so that the competition can figure out how to exploit that technology for profit? That would be, um, novel.
It's much more nuanced than that however pioneering an ev marketplace that then becomes THE marketplace still helps you. However, when your overall mission if to get to ev because it's the step to your future missions, it's a sensical way to do things if you can be successful. Clearly tesla has. You do remember tesla releasing all of their patentts back in the day to promote competition and other automakers joining the frey, right?

Here is a 7 year old statement from musk himself on the subject.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong-you

Now, even this small snip is not "create an auto company and swim in money, it is:

Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
However, when your overall mission if to get to ev because it's the step to your future missions, it's a sensical way to do things if you can be successful. Clearly tesla has.

It's hard to judge its "success" without being pretty rigorous about what the goals are. Big vision statements about saving the world attract a devoted following, but ring hollow when not supported by deliverables. Tesla has enjoyed exactly one profitable year so far and its main success is having attracted a lot of investors.

Here is a 7 year old statement from musk himself on the subject.

Musk is a hipper version of Donald Trump. He's great at branding, drawing attention to himself, and making lots of people believe in him. He's less great at running a profitable business or putting out products that reliably do what they're supposed to.

"Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport."

"And Mexico will pay for it!"

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to judge its "success" without being pretty rigorous about what the goals are. Big vision statements about saving the world attract a devoted following, but ring hollow when not supported by deliverables. Tesla has enjoyed exactly one profitable year so far and its main success is having attracted a lot of investors.

Musk is a hipper version of Donald Trump. He's great at branding, drawing attention to himself, and making lots of people believe in him. He's less great at running a profitable business or putting out products that reliably do what they're supposed to.

"And Mexico will pay for it!"
Lol. That's pretty silly. To each their own.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Zero profitability for over a decade made Amazon investors look extremely silly as well.. ;)

Amazon went public in 1997 and was profitable by the end of 2001. But don't let facts get in your way; I know you have an aversion to them.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stonks are dangerous. Boring day at work. Big pullback on AMC today. Tempting to throw a big chunk at it. Roblox having a good day. been watching it wanting to get in lower than 70, might not be doable.

TSLA in buy territory. All other mega caps up today while TSLA still down. I expect the climb to begin. I think a BA climb is closer to June and overbought right now. should be closer to 240.

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Stonks are dangerous. Boring day at work. Big pullback on AMC today. Tempting to throw a big chunk at it. Roblox having a good day. been watching it wanting to get in lower than 70, might not be doable.

TSLA in buy territory. All other mega caps up today while TSLA still down. I expect the climb to begin. I think a BA climb is closer to June and overbought right now. should be closer to 240.
We are definitely in a completely bifurcated market right now...hard to deny that, imo.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this take from Josh Brown about Millennial investors and potential volatility. He's probably one of my favorite CNBC personalities.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing Lucid as more than a car company and as a tech company like TSLA. They already have better battery tech than Tesla. They're the sole Formula-E supplier if you didn't know. Like Tesla they also have home battery and other stuff coming. It's why I'm bullish on them like I am TSLA but not on NIO, FSR, etc.

I put in a limit order to dip my toes in CCIV just in case it blows up.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I put in a limit order to dip my toes in CCIV just in case it blows up.

Cool, it's had a nice steady gain of the last week. It's calmed down now after the post announcement craziness. I'm still looking at it as a long hold. Peter Rawlingson was just on Mad Money. I'm guessing there's a replay later tonight. He took Jim on a test drive and they talked about the car and the EV industry.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool, it's had a nice steady gain of the last week. It's calmed down now after the post announcement craziness. I'm still looking at it as a long hold. Peter Rawlingson was just on Mad Money. I'm guessing there's a replay later tonight. He took Jim on a test drive and they talked about the car and the EV industry.
Yeah I read about that along with a few articles and figured it's worth a dip and hold. Money you won't need for years kinda thing

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the bad open is just because I bought. That'll erase once the stock gods forget about me ;)

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
the bad open is just because I bought. That'll erase once the stock gods forget about me ;)

It's ok, seems like everything I own opened down today. Hopefully things will bounce back if the Fed doesn't do something stupid. On the plus side my 2H bonus finally hit my bank account so I'm transferring over a couple grand from it. Deciding now where to put the extra funds. I almost want to take a flyer with it on Chamath finally making an IPOF announcement. The prices on the stock and warrants have fallen a ton with the spac bloodbath of the last couple weeks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard