The Market 2021

Discussion in 'Finance, Investments, and Careers' started by Folster, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Folster

Folster he/haw

Yes. A traditional stop loss would be XYZ is valued at $100. You put a stop loss at $90. It will stay at $90 even ad XYZ goes up in value. A trailing stop loss can be set at 10% and as XYZ increases the stop loss moves up with it. Just be careful with really volatile positions as some positions can have huge daily swings.

Russ Smith and dscher like this.
  2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

That is another thought too. Tesla will have the charging infrastructure way before anyone else and likely other EV vehicles will be using tesla chargers and more. Then, as other EV picks up steam, more and more people should be looking into solar, powerwalls, home superchargers and the like.

3. BigRedRage

This is awesome and maybe something I can dial in on stocks that are profitable and are not right where I want them yet but I would be happy to sell if I knew it was dipping while I was not looking.

4. dscher

dscher Registered

You can also see gaps below that price with the type of vol in TSLA and it won't trigger the order. So another thing to be aware of for anyone using any type of stops.

5. Folster

Folster he/haw

Well, once the price falls below the stop price it triggers a market order and should execute with no issue. Some people will do a trailing stop limit and I've seen people set the stop trigger and limit too close and the price blew past both without executing.

dscher likes this.
  6. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

Yeah, I had a problem with that not knowing better. At the start of lockdowns I bought Netflix thinking it would do well during it. At the time it was swinging about 5% in either direction a day and I had a stop at around 10%. It was down a few points on the day and just had one of the quick down blips and triggered it. Fortunately I was still up like $75/share and had been thinking of selling anyway.

7. Folster

Folster he/haw

TSLA passed FB in market cap today. They are only behind AAPL, AMZN, GOOG, and MSFT in market cap. Insane!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  8. dscher

dscher Registered

Seems rational..:lol:

9. Western Font

Western Font Registered

So far media analysts don't seem to think Biden tax changes will happen before 2022, nor will western central banks raise rates before 2023, so those are two non-factors in widespread behavior this year. In that context stocks and real estate seem likely to gain this year or at least not crash, especially if the Democrats do a better job with the pandemic (and there there is no mutation that neutralizes vaccine effectiveness).

10. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

I held a bunch of stocks that I sold in 2018 because my new fund manager at Fidelity convinced me I was taking too much risk both in my regular stocks and my IRA. I had a bunch of stocks like SQ, and some that are WAY up now. I was feeling a bit mad at her so last Friday I pulled out old emails on what I sold at, and did the math on what I would be overall now if I had just kept those stocks instead of letting her sell them all and manage my IRA. The reality is I would only be 5% ahead of her and I had far less risk and headaches so I'm actually not mad. Now I sold stocks in my own account that had I held now would be much higher, but I also had 3 stocks, including ICPT, that are WAY down that I sold because of what she said. I would have more money now but I also know I wouldn't have held them all this way up anyways.

SQ is really amazing they're not the only company that does what they do but they seem to be the one making a killing doing it. That's one I definitely should have held, and MTCH. I've mentioned SHOP before should have never sold that.

I'm kind of loading up money now debating what to buy. I've never really understood TSLA, it seems to trade more on man that's cool than on actual fundamentals but I sure wish I'd bought it 5 years ago.

11. Folster

Folster he/haw

We're in a classic asset bubble right now and it's across the board. Stocks, real estate, precious metals, and crypto. Even depreciating assets like RVs, trailers and cars are selling at a premium. It seems like a bad time to buy almost anything right now, but it's a great time to sell.

I'm considering selling my pop-up trailer as it seems I could break even at the minimum from my purchase 5 years ago. I might have to go a year or so without a camping trailer, but it might make the most sense dollar-wise

dscher likes this.
  12. BigRedRage

sounds like a great idea to me if you can get what you paid before for it. As long as the misses is down to camp without the luxuries that is.

Folster likes this.
  13. Devilmaycare

Devilmaycare Registered

It's way over priced right now with a 1700 P/E and there's totally a bit of Elon/Tesla cult driving it. They're not completely sane. It's like Apple back in the day. :)

Like we saying yesterday though, the tech side is what makes me more optimistic for them. They're so far ahead of most of the other automakers on it. Like Ford is using Rivian's tech in the Mustang. If they can become an EV tech monster in addition to selling cars the growth could be crazy. So there's some promising underpinnings in addition to the cult behavior.

Russ Smith likes this.
  14. dscher

dscher Registered

The only thing here that doesn't feel too frothy yet is gold and even bonds to a certain extent. I think the blow off in the bond market will come during the next stock market correction/crash. Some are thinking an insolvency crisis could cause yields to tank and even cause the dollar to explode to the upside. So even the gold market could take a temporary hit. Crazy times.

15. Folster

Folster he/haw

Yeah, but the market can remain irrational longer than I can stay solvent especially with all the cash that is being infused into the economy. I wouldn't dare try to short anything. That takes some massive balls.

You mention bonds. Yields are so bad right now that a lot of that money has moved to stocks and precious metals in search of returns.